Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Sad State of The Eastern Conference
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice_Dude_2008

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: The Sad State of The Eastern Conference Reply with quote

First let's start with a quick note. This thread isn't for any bashing of any kind so if you're coming here with it:

Now my first point is this:
After LeBron James left the Heat, I feel like the East has lost its only claim to relevance in the NBA. And to be honest the only way to regain it is if:
A) Paul George takes the next step and becomes one of the undisputed top 3 players in the game, or
B) Kevin Love joins the Cleveland Cavaliers and even then those Cavaliers would be a defensive liability. AV wouldn't be a good enough defensive Center to make up for the absolute garbage that is that teams Perimeter and Front court defense (outside of LBJ). *I am also noting if the Cavs get Love, there is no way he gets there without Wiggins leaving.

Now here is my second point:

Out of the top 10 teams in the NBA. I could comfortably put 7/8 teams from the Western Conference in it. The only teams that can can dispute for one of those spots are the afore mentioned Cavs, Bulls, and Pacers. But honestly without Lance, the Pacers are looking like 11. The Heat proved they had no offense outside of James in the Finals this year. The Bulls are really depending if Rose comes back at full health. Heck, even an 80% D-Rose should make the Bulls instant favorites in the East, but I don't think they beat anyone out West in a 7 Game series. And depending what the Knicks/Cavs/Pacers do next offseason, the West is going to dominate the NBA Finals in the next couple of years.

On to the next point:

The 9th place team in the West won 48 Games. Which is 11 more than the 9th place team in the East. The ELEVENTH PLACE (West) Nuggets won ONE less game the 9th Place (East) New York Knicks. The 8th Seeded (West) Mavericks would have had a good enough record for third place in the East. A bottom feeder in the Western Conference Playoff system is better than 6 other Playoff teams out East. In the past 10 years the Charlotte Bobcats (Now Hornets) have been one of the worst teams in the NBA consistently is going to be challenging for a top 3 seed in next years playoffs. Of course the Hornets have improved with FA signings and internal improvements.

You might be reading this wondering where I'm going with all this. My question is a realistic one. Does any one team in the NBA's Eastern Conference have enough talent to beat a Western Conference team in a 7 Game series? Are the Pacers good enough without Lance to beat the Spurs/Thunder/Clippers/Rockets/Portland/Golden State over the next 3 years? Are the Bulls with only an 80% Rose good enough? Are the new look Cavs good enough? Can the new Hornets be good enough? Is there someone good enough? [/rant]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavs and Bulls will be the top 2 in the East, and they could make a trade or two to make them real contenders, but the Spurs own the NBA right now and are the team to beat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was also true a few years back. It'll balance itself out soon.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Clutch5000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:

It's been this way forever lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not that sold on the Bulls. Gasol is an upgrade on Boozer, but how much of one I'm not sure. This isn't 2010 Gasol

Will Rose ever regain his MVP form, 10 games in 2 seasons doesn't inspire confidence. He could get back to form, but no one else ever has after missing nearly 2 years

Is Gibson ok with the situation now? In his mind Boozer was gonna be cut so he could start. That's not happening now. What does that do for his confidence?

Can butler take the next step? He has PG, Leonard type potential but can he reach it?

Lots of questions, but one thing we know for sure is that they have one of the 5 best coaches in the league.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Cavs and Bulls will be the top 2 in the East, and they could make a trade or two to make them real contenders, but the Spurs own the NBA right now and are the team to beat.

If Rose isn't the same player he was pre-injury, then I could easily see the Hornets as a contender for the East crown. And right now they have a better team than the Cavs do.

Also my thing is, does Love really make the Cavs a contender? That starting five would be so bad defensively it would be ugly to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch5000 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:

I agree that the East overall has been a worse conference than the West, but in the 80's-90's and in the 2000's you could say that the top teams in the East were at least good enough to fight it out with the Western Conference toe to toe. But now, I can't really say that the Cavs/Bulls/Pacers can beat someone from the West in a 7 game series. People have been saying "it'll balance out" for years. It just hasn't happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
the lone star wrote:

If Rose isn't the same player he was pre-injury, then I could easily see the Hornets as a contender for the East crown. And right now they have a better team than the Cavs do.

Also my thing is, does Love really make the Cavs a contender? That starting five would be so bad defensively it would be ugly to watch.

Bold statement there...I definitely disagree. LeBron makes all the difference. Insert him into your lineup and your entire team changes on both sides of the ball. Him and Kyrie will be great on offense, and he'll help anchor defensively with Andy V and Wiggins (who will probably get a good amount of minutes at the 2).

Remember that getting one main upgrade on defense can help everyone out defensively. LeBron, even though I think he is often overrated on that end, is that main upgrade.

Both the Hornets and Cavs are deep though. That's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Clutch5000 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:

I agree that the East overall has been a worse conference than the West, but in the 80's-90's and in the 2000's you could say that the top teams in the East were at least good enough to fight it out with the Western Conference toe to toe. But now, I can't really say that the Cavs/Bulls/Pacers can beat someone from the West in a 7 game series. People have been saying "it'll balance out" for years. It just hasn't happened.

Agreed, which is surprising, because the East coast usually has more appeal in other sports.

But, once you figure out how to build a good, two-way basketball team, you have the upper-hand for sure. Teams in the west have just figured it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
I'm still not that sold on the Bulls. Gasol is an upgrade on Boozer, but how much of one I'm not sure. This isn't 2010 Gasol

Will Rose ever regain his MVP form, 10 games in 2 seasons doesn't inspire confidence. He could get back to form, but no one else ever has after missing nearly 2 years

Is Gibson ok with the situation now? In his mind Boozer was gonna be cut so he could start. That's not happening now. What does that do for his confidence?

Can butler take the next step? He has PG, Leonard type potential but can he reach it?

Lots of questions, but one thing we know for sure is that they have one of the 5 best coaches in the league.

This isn't 2010 Boozer either. Last year's Boozer was horrible.

I agree on Gibson and Butler though. Butler had a down year last season, so I hope he can bounce back. Gibson, he's a great 3rd big, which is more important than people think (bigs get injured, gotta have an insurance policy there), but if he is upset, then I say trade him for a decent 3 or something. Shawn Marion maybe?

And yeah, Rose is a huge question mark at this point. I think he will be OK, but not the MVP he was in 2010-11.

Rose
Butler
Marion
Gasol
Noah

That's a nice two-way team right there. We'll see if Chicago can make it happen though. Looks like Marion is interested in joining the Lakers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, who are the traditional "powers" in the east? Bulls, Celtics, Pistons, 76ers and maybe the Knicks? Bulls are the only competitive team among those 4 right now.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Clutch5000 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:

There are a few eastern conference teams that could win series vs the west teams. Only 2 teams in the west I would consider locks vs east. Spurs and clippers. Everyone else could be beaten.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clippers lol? No.

OKC and Spurs Are the only match up nightmares
For the East... Right Thurr..

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=531302&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BBL
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Clippers lol? No.

OKC and Spurs Are the only match up nightmares
For the East... Right Thurr..

No way. Bulls and pacers defense would destroy that 2 man iso offense.

Last edited by dante9876 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given it a few years and the east will be back on top.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: