Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is This The Golden Era of PFs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is This The Golden Era of PFs?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Is This The Golden Era of PFs? Reply with quote

Is This The Golden Era of PFs?

Historically speaking, the PF position has been pretty weak. But now we have a bunch of future HOFers, bonafide superstars, and others that have made the all-star game, in addition to the all-nba team.

Are we currently in the golden age of PFs?

Duncan
KG
Dirk
Pau Gasol
Chris Bosh
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love
Anthony Davis
LaMarcus
Amar'e
Boozer
Z-Bo
Elton Brand
David Lee
David West
Al Horford
Greg Monroe
Paul Millsap
Josh Smith
Luis Scola

Seems like it to me, although a few of these guys fizzled relatively quickly.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 6368
Location: Athens, OH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say yeah

We've had more "athletic" big men who have the ability to play the 4 despite their physical stature making it seem that they're best suited at the 5.
_________________

#ParkitForParker

ServantofYHWH wrote:
What do you call 12 millionaires around a TV watching the NBA Finals this year?

The Indiana Pacers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RandyMossIsBoss


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 15538
Location: Peppers90 on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd say say we were in the golden age of PFs, but I don't see how we are anymore. However, we are in the golden age of PGs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Well I'd say say we were in the golden age of PFs, but I don't see how we are anymore. However, we are in the golden age of PGs.


I think we were in the golden age of PGs as well. Guys like Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas, Stephon Marbury, Billups, Kidd, and even Steve Francis have all declined or left the league recently. Same goes with Nash, Baron Davis, and Mike Bibby.

This era is good though, as we still got CP3, Deron, Rondo, Kyrie, Tony Parker, Damian Lillard, Stephen Curry, John Wall, and even Ty Lawson are doing well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 19674
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Well I'd say say we were in the golden age of PFs, but I don't see how we are anymore. However, we are in the golden age of PGs.

AD and Blake Griffin are both on very nice paths.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RandyMossIsBoss


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 15538
Location: Peppers90 on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Well I'd say say we were in the golden age of PFs, but I don't see how we are anymore. However, we are in the golden age of PGs.

AD and Blake Griffin are both on very nice paths.
That's true, this current era of PFs has guys like AD, Griffin, Love, Aldridge which is pretty good, but I don't think it compares to the last era of PFs that had guys like Duncan, KG, Dirk, Pau and Amar'e. I mean you've arguably got 3 of the top 5 all time PFs in that era alone. If you consider the first group and second groip of guys I listed as being a part of the same era then I guess you could call this the golden age, but I don't think they're a part of the same era.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El ramster


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 35442
Location: PAUL GEORGE'S BED!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF's >>>>>>> IMO..
_________________

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
SF's >>>>>>> IMO..


That's probably true as well. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, etc.

I guess this new era is SFs, PFs is the one that is retiring, and PG is the one before that. Cs probably before that. Arguably coincided with the golden era of PGs.

Man, I love basketball history. We should create a thread for that as well. Cool
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Well I'd say say we were in the golden age of PFs, but I don't see how we are anymore. However, we are in the golden age of PGs.

AD and Blake Griffin are both on very nice paths.
That's true, this current era of PFs has guys like AD, Griffin, Love, Aldridge which is pretty good, but I don't think it compares to the last era of PFs that had guys like Duncan, KG, Dirk, Pau and Amar'e. I mean you've arguably got 3 of the top 5 all time PFs in that era alone. If you consider the first group and second groip of guys I listed as being a part of the same era then I guess you could call this the golden age, but I don't think they're a part of the same era.


Some guys were in between for sure though, like Z-Bo. He's still producing too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 6368
Location: Athens, OH
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
El ramster wrote:
SF's >>>>>>> IMO..


That's probably true as well. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, etc.

I guess this new era is SFs, PFs is the one that is retiring, and PG is the one before that. Cs probably before that. Arguably coincided with the golden era of PGs.

Man, I love basketball history. We should create a thread for that as well. Cool


You make a lot of threads, a lot of thought provoking ones, but a lot of them none the less. Guess when you're mod you can go around and do as you please Laughing
_________________

#ParkitForParker

ServantofYHWH wrote:
What do you call 12 millionaires around a TV watching the NBA Finals this year?

The Indiana Pacers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
the lone star wrote:
El ramster wrote:
SF's >>>>>>> IMO..


That's probably true as well. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, etc.

I guess this new era is SFs, PFs is the one that is retiring, and PG is the one before that. Cs probably before that. Arguably coincided with the golden era of PGs.

Man, I love basketball history. We should create a thread for that as well. Cool


You make a lot of threads, a lot of thought provoking ones, but a lot of them none the less. Guess when you're mod you can go around and do as you please Laughing


It's part of my job to promote discussion, so just doing my part. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarkanX


Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, I love basketball history. We should create a thread for that as well.


I made a thread last year that asked what decade had the best line-up in the NBA, and the consensus was that the 1990s and 2000s had the best line-up, with the 1980s behind them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23066
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarkanX wrote:
Quote:
Man, I love basketball history. We should create a thread for that as well.


I made a thread last year that asked what decade had the best line-up in the NBA, and the consensus was that the 1990s and 2000s had the best line-up, with the 1980s behind them.


I vaguely remember that thread. We got a lot of people that didn't see 80s ball on here though. Some don't even rmr too much of the 90s from what I have noted.

There's definitely sampling bias in everything.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarkanX


Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to derail this thread, but even if there was some bias in the polling, I think the results are pretty valid. The NBA didn't quite modernize until the 2nd half of the 1970s, and there have been more people playing basketball in the world now, than there was 30+ years ago. This doesn't mean that Chris Paul is better than Magic Johnson, but if you take the overall talent from the 1990s to today and compare them to pre-1980s (possibly even the 1980s, but that is debatable), the modern day talent will win out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LitesOut13


Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 566
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Duncan, KG, Dirk, and even Pau shouldnt be mentioned the same age/era as guys like Griffin and AD. KG and Dirk came into the league in the mid 90s and its kind of crazy they are even still in the league.

And I think its easy to say yes because im sure many were very young(or maybe not even bord?) back in the 80s and 90s. But its hard to dismiss that the late 80s and most of the 90s had dominate Barkley and Malone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group