Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Boston Celtics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
It ain't damage control. Ray and his wife were the biggest contributors to the Boston and Mass community in the Celtics organization

He's been running damage control for awhile in interviews. I'd buy the fact that he likes Ma and community. "The Celtic family" is not true. The stuff he was saying that he's "forever a celtic" isn't true either(If he actually believed he was a true celtic he'd have to be delusional). Ray is definitely looking out for his image as he leaves. Which i don't blame him for doing that it is good business. This was a complete PR move. It was basically title picture of Ray and a statement by his agent.

I don't see how that's true. The guy wanted to move on. It sucks. But I don't see what is so sinister about it. He spent 5 years of his life here.

ELRammy
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Man Melo is so intriguing. He has this quintessentially Brazilian thing about his game - the passes and the movement skills are very soccer-like. He could develop nasty high-post game someday. I was trying to think of an NBA player who that upside compares well to, and I couldn't.

If he's 80 percent of Anderson Varejao, we made a good pick.

ELRammy
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
Donut wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
It ain't damage control. Ray and his wife were the biggest contributors to the Boston and Mass community in the Celtics organization

He's been running damage control for awhile in interviews. I'd buy the fact that he likes Ma and community. "The Celtic family" is not true. The stuff he was saying that he's "forever a celtic" isn't true either(If he actually believed he was a true celtic he'd have to be delusional). Ray is definitely looking out for his image as he leaves. Which i don't blame him for doing that it is good business. This was a complete PR move. It was basically title picture of Ray and a statement by his agent.

I don't see how that's true. The guy wanted to move on. It sucks. But I don't see what is so sinister about it. He spent 5 years of his life here.

It's just not an amazingly classy thing. It was just a PR move. I dont even care about him leaving anymore. I'm just calling it how I see it and this was a PR move.
Troy Brown wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Man Melo is so intriguing. He has this quintessentially Brazilian thing about his game - the passes and the movement skills are very soccer-like. He could develop nasty high-post game someday. I was trying to think of an NBA player who that upside compares well to, and I couldn't.

If he's 80 percent of Anderson Varejao, we made a good pick.

80% of his best is 8 points and 9 rebounds. But he should be a better shot blocker than Varajao
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very classy thing. There's no debating that. I'm as bitter as they come when it comes to Ray (Ok, maybe not as bitter as most Celtic fans) but do you see any other major FAs doing that?

ELRammy
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
It was a very classy thing. There's no debating that. I'm as bitter as they come when it comes to Ray (Ok, maybe not as bitter as most Celtic fans) but do you see any other major FAs doing that?

It is a PR move and that's all it is. As for other FAs, What ones are getting as much flack as Ray for doing this? None. He didnt do this for Milwaukee or Seattle. So Boston meant something whereas those places meant nothing? I doubt it. Seattle and Milwaukee had no ill will when he left.
Terry did the same for interviewers saying if I had this offer from the Mavs I'd still be there. Only difference is Terry actually liked the Mavs.

If he left and Cs fans were like its cool good luck to Ray I doubt he'd put this ad out. Also if really cared you'd think he'd do something like Barrett did in Denver or Bledsoe did for us here. You know actually right something meaningful not a quick statement his agent probably wrote.

Look at it from Ray's perspective. He's signed w/ the Heat. He's being bashed all over Boston media and the fans are pissed and other fan bases are not happy w/ him. He has info coming from sources of him bashing Rondo ect.. ect... He has all the negative media attention. He's pays for an ad and gets his name in some good media attention. If he manages to get some Cs fans not to hate him then its worth it. Also having everyone say "Oh Ray so classy." This just looks like a PR move. I'm not going bash him for doing it. It is business and this was a smart business decision. I'm just calling it how I see it.

I know you really like Ray. You saying him switching to #34 to keep #20 as his Celtic number as a kind thing when its obvious he wants his old number back. He wondered what number he'd wear here and was one of his concerns coming here.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nothing but a PR move to try to salvage the burning wreck of what was once his great standing in Boston.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says Ainge isn't a top 5 GM?

This offseason was a masterpiece. Stayed under the tax all the while resigning all the key guys (minus Ray who wanted a deal that would have broken the team), and added key role players like Wilcox, Green, Terry, and now Lee.

The Celtics rookies and youngin's are also doing great in the summer leagues and are probably the best summer league team any NBA franchise has to offer. Granted it's a handful of summer league games, but they're 8-2 I believe, with one loss coming last night when three starters were sitting.

Brees that night:
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:

This offseason was a masterpiece. Stayed under the tax all the while resigning all the key guys (minus Ray who wanted a deal that would have broken the team), and added key role players like Wilcox, Green, Terry, and now Lee.

The Celtics rookies and youngin's are also doing great in the summer leagues and are probably the best summer league team any NBA franchise has to offer. Granted it's a handful of summer league games, but they're 8-2 I believe, with one loss coming last night when three starters were sitting.

Yeah I'm an Ainge "hater" but I gotta say he did a fantastic job this offseason.

Right now, we're looking at:
PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley, Terry, Lee
SF: Pierce, Green
PF: Garnett, Bass, Sullinger
C: Wilcox, Melo

That's 11 players who will be on the squad next season for sure (consider how few bigs we have I don't forsee Melo playing in the D-league even if he's not remotely ready). Who else is gonna be on the squad?

Kris Joseph and Dionte Christmas have earned looks in summer league. We still have the BAE also. How about Kenyon Martin? A good old boxing out and toughness kinda guy.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Getting Courtney Lee would really help too.

Like I said before, awesome pickup by the C's. Very Happy

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Getting Courtney Lee would really help too.

Like I said before, awesome pickup by the C's. Very Happy

Bradley and CLee is a great defensive package for the backcourt.
playa-hater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ainge gets my early vote for GM of the year Very Happy
playa-hater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching all Boston summer league games thus far, I dont think Jared Sullinger will be much of an option as a scorer. He really struggles to finish around the rim. He gets his shot blocked often. He needs to shed at least 20 lbs IMO. He is a sttong rebounder, good passer, and I predict will have a pretty nice face up jumper based on what I have seen thus far. But as young players I really wonder how much Sullinger and Melo will play this season.

On that note, what should are starting line up be? or expect?..

We have Garnett Pierce and Rondo for sure, Who is the other 4/5 man? Bass ? Green? Sullinger? Melo?

What about the starting 2 guard? Terry? or Lee? (since Bradley will be out for a while).

So who's your guess?
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playa-hater wrote:
After watching all Boston summer league games thus far, I dont think Jared Sullinger will be much of an option as a scorer. He really struggles to finish around the rim. He gets his shot blocked often. He needs to shed at least 20 lbs IMO. He is a sttong rebounder, good passer, and I predict will have a pretty nice face up jumper based on what I have seen thus far. But as young players I really wonder how much Sullinger and Melo will play this season.

On that note, what should are starting line up be? or expect?..

We have Garnett Pierce and Rondo for sure, Who is the other 4/5 man? Bass ? Green? Sullinger? Melo?

What about the starting 2 guard? Terry? or Lee? (since Bradley will be out for a while).

So who's your guess?

KG
Bass
Pierce
Avery(Lee until he's ready)
Rondo

In 2nd unit bigs I'd have would Sully and Wilcox. I think w/ signing of Collins means Melo to D-league some. I also expect Green to play some time at the 4.
VrabelCrable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"tonyto3690 wrote:

It was nothing but a PR move to try to salvage the burning wreck of what was once his great standing in Boston.

Donut wrote:
It is a PR move and that's all it is. As for other FAs, What ones are getting as much flack as Ray for doing this? None. He didnt do this for Milwaukee or Seattle. So Boston meant something whereas those places meant nothing? I doubt it. Seattle and Milwaukee had no ill will when he left.
Terry did the same for interviewers saying if I had this offer from the Mavs I'd still be there. Only difference is Terry actually liked the Mavs.

Just stop. Neither of you have anything to stand on. You speculate and try and downgrade an athlete that has a complete clean record. You make logical Celtics fans look bad on this forum because of this. If you can't at least understand why Ray left then your just trying to force yourself not too. Everything he has done has seemed genuine. He seemed sadder to be leaving Boston in his Miami press conference then happy to be in Miami.

1. He has been nearly traded and in trade rumors for years. (He needs not to fear Miami trading him)

2. His starting job was given to a young an inexperienced player. I can completely understand Ray feeling as though he is when healthy still a better player then Avery Bradley. I think half the reason why the move was made was not because one was better then the other, but simply because it worked best for the dynamics of that team. The starting unit needed more speed and athleticism. The bench desperately needed scoring.

3. The Celtics went out and signed Jason Terry to play the scoring role off the bench for more money that they were offering to Ray. And Ainge had come out before this and said that Ray was the number one priority. I don't blame Ainge for this move but I don't think he really cared all that much about bringing Ray back. I think all Ray wanted was to be considered as historically important to the organization as KG. Ainge has made it clear in the past few years that he isn't.

4. It makes the most sense for Ray Allen and his family to go to Miami if he did not resign with Boston. This is an unarguable fact. His life is in Florida and New England.

Lets see if you two can actually debate something or if you are going to try and just bash a mans character who has a flawless record. I am done arguing these things with you until you actually bring something to the table instead of just bashing Ray. Grow up.

Moving onto this next seasons Celtics team.

tonyto3690 wrote:

I like some of the things that Ainge has done. He stole Lee. Terry was a good signing. But I don't see how this team has gotten much better at all as rebounding team. This is something that killed them this season. If Wilcox is healthy that does help things but we have no idea what Fab Melo is nor how much Doc will play him. We also do not know what Jared Sullinger will be at rebounding at the NBA level. Even if he is a good one I still do not see that they are significantly better at rebounding.

Deadpulse^^
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VrabelCrable wrote:
"tonyto3690 wrote:

Donut wrote:

Just stop. Neither of you have anything to stand on. You speculate and try and downgrade an athlete that has a complete clean record. You make logical Celtics fans look bad on this forum because of this. If you can't at least understand why Ray left then your just trying to force yourself not too. Everything he has done has seemed genuine. He seemed sadder to be leaving Boston in his Miami press conference then happy to be in Miami.

1. He has been nearly traded and in trade rumors for years. (He needs not to fear Miami trading him)

2. His starting job was given to a young an inexperienced player. I can completely understand Ray feeling as though he is when healthy still a better player then Avery Bradley. I think half the reason why the move was made was not because one was better then the other, but simply because it worked best for the dynamics of that team. The starting unit needed more speed and athleticism. The bench desperately needed scoring.

3. The Celtics went out and signed Jason Terry to play the scoring role off the bench for more money that they were offering to Ray. And Ainge had come out before this and said that Ray was the number one priority. I don't blame Ainge for this move but I don't think he really cared all that much about bringing Ray back. I think all Ray wanted was to be considered as historically important to the organization as KG. Ainge has made it clear in the past few years that he isn't.

4. It makes the most sense for Ray Allen and his family to go to Miami if he did not resign with Boston. This is an unarguable fact. His life is in Florida and New England.

Lets see if you two can actually debate something or if you are going to try and just bash a mans character who has a flawless record. I am done arguing these things with you until you actually bring something to the table instead of just bashing Ray. Grow up.

Moving onto this next seasons Celtics team.

tonyto3690 wrote:

I like some of the things that Ainge has done. He stole Lee. Terry was a good signing. But I don't see how this team has gotten much better at all as rebounding team. This is something that killed them this season. If Wilcox is healthy that does help things but we have no idea what Fab Melo is nor how much Doc will play him. We also do not know what Jared Sullinger will be at rebounding at the NBA level. Even if he is a good one I still do not see that they are significantly better at rebounding.

1. He was offered a no trade claus in his contract to stay in Boston.

2. No, the team was dead in the water with Ray starting. The team was much better with a healthy Bradley starting than a healthy Ray starting. I dont' remember the exact stats, but the offensive and defensive efficiencies of both starting five lineups are night and day. Bradley's was expected miles better defensively, but was also slightly ahead on offense. In fact IIRC, none of Rays non-starting five lineupes ranked in the top 10 efficient lineups for our team.

3. They offered a guy with less mileage and much less injury prone, a 3rd year. Ray would be getting 6 per year. Jet is getting 5 per year. Also don't act like they would be taking money from the same pool. Rays money was offered from under the cap resources while Terry's is the MLE. It was just making the most of the money. Completely irrelevant as Ray would have been the starter when Bradley is recovering and go to shooter off the bench. In Miami he'll be the go to shooter off the bench but NEVER supplant Wade.

4. Um what? I don't think he has ever lived anywhere south of the dixie line. Anyways, it wasn't about "Celtics decided to not resign me, so my best option left is Miami". This was "I have either Miami or the Celtics. The Celtics have been where me and my family have lived for 5 years, the best doctors in the world are in Boston and my kid has a life threatening illness and all his doctors are here in Boston, and he's at the point in his life where needs stability and friends. It made ZERO sense for him to pick up his family and move to Florida. Family had absolutely nothing to do with his decision. It was all about his ego.

I don't need to grow up. You need to look at things objectively. Ray was offered by the Celtics, twice as much money as he would be offered by Miami. Ray demanded more years, and 5 times more total money from the Celtics than he did from the Heat. If the Heat blew him out of the water with a ton of money and the CEltics low balled him, I could understand. But what Ray did was go out of his way to show the finger to the Celtics franchise. The movie was almost completely based on his personal ego and not getting enough attention or preference.

If Ray was a true "Celtic for life" as he stated, he wouldn't have picked up and joined the enemy. Can you imagine Bird joining the Lakers? Can you imagine Pierce leaving as a free agent to play for the Heat? Rondo with the Bulls? Because that is more or less what Ray just did- on his own accord, for less money and less years.

You should really GTFO with your holier than thou routine because you're pretty blatantly uniformed in the matter. Ray went from my favorite player to a total diva in my eyes.

Brees that night:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 32 of 62

Jump to: