Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchised
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinMan

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Franchised Reply with quote

IT has been determined that Alexander has been franchised leaving EDGE and Lamont Jordon as the top FA backs. Edge I think is coming here, or a drafted back. I duno what to think cuz my guy was alexander and i really wanted him!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge had the Tag applied to him. I would like to say that we are going to draft Ronnie Brown but I dont know after hearing Sabans comments last weekend. I have a feeling that Brown will emerge the top back in the draft after the combines!

On another note the Fins are shopping Konrad around for a mid round pick. Probably a good move but I do think Konrad with Brown and our receiving core in this new style offence would have been great! 4 great catchers in a 2WR set!

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

Profanity is the one language known by all programmers!
dolfan2788

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Brown has a monster combine to beat out Benson
for the top rb coming into the draft. I hope that we either get
Derrick Johnson or Ronnie Brown now. It is hard to pick who we
are going to get though because the only indication Saban has
said of who we are going to get is " We might get a big defensive
playmaker" or something to that effect. But now with all the top
flight running backs gone I think that we are nearly forced
to get one in the draft.

Trade Surtain for James
1st round - Derrick Johnson OLB
3rd round - Jason Campbell QB
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do take a back with the second pick I very much doubt that it will be Benson. As many people have said Saban doesnt like his attitude. But then again im not Saban and I cant read his mind.......

Irish Dolfan
FF member #1205

frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishDolfan wrote:
Fins are shopping Konrad around for a mid round pick. Probably a good move but I do think Konrad with Brown and our receiving core in this new style offence would have been great!

I'd love to see them keep Konrad, as I think he's a great talent and was never used enough by Wannstupid (new nickname alert). But I think that the biggest reason why Konrad is on the block has little to do with his skills and more to do with the fact that in his career he's played all 16 games in a season once (2002).

I'm not sure who the quote is attributable to, but it was best stated that "you can't win games on the trainer's table". It seems to me that Saban is making the statement to the team "if you can't stay healthy, I don't want you". Guys whose status might be affected as a direct result of this are Chambers, Tim Bowens, and Yeremiah Bell.
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Moore:

I do agree with you when you say that Konrad is a great player. I would also like to see him stay with the dolphinsI love to see him lay a huge block or catch the ball in the flats and run people over. I think that the main reason that Konrad is being let go is because of Linehan. He has always used a one back set and probably doesn't plan on changing his ways. Yes, i believe that his injuries do help him along his way, but not the main reason. We already have the FB we need in Sammy Morris (as a 3rd down back).

Quote:
Guys whose status might be affected as a direct result of this are Chambers

YOU AREN'T SAYING THAT SABAN WOULD GET RID OF CHRIS CHAMBERS ARE YOU???????
FF Member #1000
frankmoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65 wrote:
I think that the main reason that Konrad is being let go is because of Linehan. He has always used a one back set and probably doesn't plan on changing his ways.

I agree with your point that Linehan's offense is, for all intents and purposes, a one-back offense that runs either 3 WRs or 2 TEs (or a TE and an H-back -- what is an H-back? Isn't he just a TE who's more of a receiver than a blocker?).

However, I don't think that there's any reason why Konrad could not change his game from FB to more of a TE. He's got the size and, from what I understand, the intelligence to pull it off. Given those things, I keep coming back to the fact that he can't stay healthy as the reason he's on the outs.

Backwoodsboy65 wrote:
YOU AREN'T SAYING THAT SABAN WOULD GET RID OF CHRIS CHAMBERS ARE YOU???????

Am I advocating it? No. Am I saying that it's a possibility in the next two years? Yes. Chambers has a big-time contract. As such, he needs to play up to the level of his paycheck, which means 16 games a season.

Now, one of the things that we, as Dolphins fans, have to understand is that Nick Saban is approaching this team like a business. As such, he's going to make a lot of cold, emotionless decisions that will upset a lot of the fans (i.e., those with an emotional investment in the team).

I know that it's going to be hard for me specifically because I've always felt a need to have a guy on the team (and this goes for any team I follow) who's "my guy". The guy who I want to see make the game-winning play. That's going to change with Saban being in charge because "my guy", whoever he his, could be gone at a moment's notice. I just need to remember that I'm a Dolphins fan first and foremost.
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I thought you were talking about Saban letting Chambers go in the immediate future (within a year). I agree with you that if any player isn't playing up to their salary, that Saban will let him go. I think that is what he has done so far.

Frank Moore: Which RB in the draft do you think will fit in best with Linehan's offense?
FF Member #1000
frankmoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65 wrote:
Frank Moore: Which RB in the draft do you think will fit in best with Linehan's offense?

If you'll permit me the luxury, I've got a long-winded, somewhat tangental take on this.

I am a pro football guy. I've got Sunday Ticket so that I can watch the Dolphins games in my living room and usually flip between about 6 games over the course of a Sunday afternoon. I am not, however, a big college football guy. However, my brother is a college football aficionado (to the point where he can tell you who's expected to be the best Center coming out in in the 2007 draft). Once Ricky Williams sailed off into the sunset, I asked him "is there a RB in college that I should be watching this year?" He said Ronnie Brown from Auburn. His comment was "He gets overlooked because he's on the same team as Cadillac Williams, but in my opinion, he's a better pro prospect. He'd also be a better fit for Miami's power-running offense". That was in August of last year.

Now, getting back to your question. I like Brown the most, I think he has the potential to be something very special in the NFL. If we're going to place odds on who Miami selects with the #2, I'd say Brown has a better than even shot at being the guy. He's got a track record of performing in big games and he's got the 3 S's (size, strength, and speed) to excel in Linehan's offense.

After him, I like Barber from Minnesota and Arrington from Cal. Barber I like because he reminds me of Curtis Martin. A lot. I haven't seen Arrington play very much, but simply looking at his production has to make you tip your hat. 2000 yards in 12 games is quite a feat.

Now, I'm sure you'd like to know what I think about Williams and Benson. So, here goes. I like Williams but I don't think he'd be a great fit for Linehan's one-back offense. He'd be perfect in Denver and I'm wondering if we might see Shanahan move up to take him.

As for Benson, I can't argue with his production throughout his college career. However, he has a history of disappearing against premier opponents (i.e., Bowl games and Oklahoma) and not dominating the lesser competition. For example, Ricky Williams routinely ran for 200 yards a game and broke 300 yards in a game several times, Benson had 3 games in his entire college career where he ran for more than 200 yards. Benson also has a LOT of mileage on him -- he set the NCAA Div I record for carries but didn't even rush for more than 6000 yards in college. What it all comes down to is that I see serious Curtis Enis potential here. I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but I wouldn't spend the #2 pick on him if I were Saban.
IrishDolfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the question was directed at Frank but I would like to throw my 2c in.

Which back will fit the new offense best? Ronnie Brown imo. I base it purely on his catching ability.

Irish Dolfan.
FF member #1205

Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown in my top RB for the dolphins too. I watched Auburn a lot last year (cuz i was getting sick with FSU) and was really impressed by brown. I think that cadillac is somewhat overrated and may fall to somewhere in the mid to late first round. I haven't watched ever watched Barber or Arrington, but I have heard great things about these guys.

Thanks for your input.
FF Member #1000
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Najeh Davenport? Anybody hear anything on him? What do you guys think?
T0wer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's awful.
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I dont really think he's gotten a shot a GB... If we fixed our line up some I could see him running it up the middle
T0wer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to take that shot on him though? If he doesn't work out... what will you have wasted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: