You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stock Markets Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Anyone gonna gobble up some of Snap when it becomes available? I think I'm going to but not a heavy chunk of money.
Nah, it's the next Twitter. They have no real income source. Not to mention they neglected a large portion of their user base for a long time (Android) and they've moved onto different services.
bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating how to allocated the money in my 401k. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I know expense ratio can drive return as much as anything. I'm 25 looking to retire around age 65-70.

There's a 2060 target fund with a 1.15 expense ratio.

I'm currently in:
45% S&P Index Fund 1.00 expense
45% Growth Index Fund 1.05 expense
10% Bond Market Index Fund (under 1)

Is underlying expense ratio important, because I see this listed too and don't know much about it? Should I consider putting more into my IRA since I can get a lower expense ratio on some of the index funds?

Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohnson2009 wrote:
I'm debating how to allocated the money in my 401k. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I know expense ratio can drive return as much as anything. I'm 25 looking to retire around age 65-70.

There's a 2060 target fund with a 1.15 expense ratio.

I'm currently in:
45% S&P Index Fund 1.00 expense
45% Growth Index Fund 1.05 expense
10% Bond Market Index Fund (under 1)

Is underlying expense ratio important, because I see this listed too and don't know much about it? Should I consider putting more into my IRA since I can get a lower expense ratio on some of the index funds?

Any help is appreciated.
Could you list out other funds that are available? Those expense ratios are brutal.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2055 Target Fund (Vanguard) has an expense ratio of 0.05%.

Out of all the different investment options I have in my 401k, none of the funds have an expense ratio over 0.35%. If you are getting near 1%, definitely don't put any money in there until your IRA is maxed.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
My 2055 Target Fund (Vanguard) has an expense ratio of 0.05%.

Out of all the different investment options I have in my 401k, none of the funds have an expense ratio over 0.35%. If you are getting near 1%, definitely don't put any money in there until your IRA is maxed.
Yeah I have a 401k with Fidelity and everything is under 0.1%.

I'd max the IRA if you can, but also make sure you put enough in to get the company match. (But if those are the best funds, I can't imagine there would be a big match anyway.)

Title Town USA wrote:
bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a ton of options so I can't really post all. My company offers a 3% safe harbor so I don't even need to contribute. I can do the full $5,500 to an IRA but will be phased out in a couple more years.

https://goo.gl/photos/uJi5NPMuAHiCyMho8

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohnson2009 wrote:
There's a ton of options so I can't really post all. My company offers a 3% safe harbor so I don't even need to contribute. I can do the full $5,500 to an IRA but will be phased out in a couple more years.

I would do IRA first, 401k second (to hit your target savings), and when you're phased out of the IRA in a few years go back to the 401k. The tax savings is worth the 1% fee.

~T.S. Eliot
bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:

I would do IRA first, 401k second (to hit your target savings), and when you're phased out of the IRA in a few years go back to the 401k. The tax savings is worth the 1% fee.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I have a small existing IRA with etrade does anyone have a preferred broker with low cost options for IRAs?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohnson2009 wrote:
theJ wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I have a small existing IRA with etrade does anyone have a preferred broker with low cost options for IRAs?
How big is your company? Could you ask someone in HR if they could look into getting lower ER funds?

Title Town USA wrote:
bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:
theJ wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:

How big is your company? Could you ask someone in HR if they could look into getting lower ER funds?

The plan only has about 15 participants. I met with our plan admin and expressed my concerns with my boss and she offered some more funds that suck too. You would think as an office full of CPAs with some strong relationships we would have better services, but our plan admin isn't our biggest pal. I'd prefer a few of the other firms we work with.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigjohnson2009 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:
theJ wrote:
bigjohnson2009 wrote:

The plan only has about 15 participants. I met with our plan admin and expressed my concerns with my boss and she offered some more funds that suck too. You would think as an office full of CPAs with some strong relationships we would have better services, but our plan admin isn't our biggest pal. I'd prefer a few of the other firms we work with.
Without knowing your office, tough to know if you could get other people on board but it might be worthwhile to ask around because that is costing you guys a lot of money. I've heard of companies offering crappy 401k funds with no matching because they get a kickback from the fund provider, but this doesn't sound like that.

In the meantime, max an IRA and an HSA if you have a HDHP. I'd pick your funds to balance your overall portfolio too, so it looks like the bond and S&P funds have the lowest ER. Max those out to hit your target total allocation in your 401k then have the other retirement sources with better funds get your international, mid cap, and small cap.

Title Town USA wrote:
packerrfan74

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody jump on Ethereum before Monday hits.
bigjohnson2009

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerrfan74 wrote:
Everybody jump on Ethereum before Monday hits.

The cryptocurrency market is nuts right now how did you know to jump on? I've been out of the country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any swing traders in this thread?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Page 55 of 55

Jump to: