You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stock Markets Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DMG


Joined: 22 Oct 2014
Posts: 1112
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my Amazon stocks vest in December (I get four every two years as an employee) and of course the stocks have plummeted lately.

Btw, do any of y'all have tips with minimizing capital gains tax or is it something you just have to suck up when cashing stocks? I don't plan on cashing my Amazon stocks until I graduate college and can manage to easily leave that hellhole, but I really don't want Uncle Sam getting 1/3 of that pie.
_________________
JBURGE25 wrote:
Devin Kurant wrote:
A sautéed salmon was pretty good then disappeared with Philly and Atlanta at least to my memory.


This can't possibly be an autocorrect for Asante Samuel.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetsfan4life51


Joined: 12 Jan 2006
Posts: 33812
Location: lawn guy land
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company ditched the 401k which really stinks because I was socking away a lot. Rolled that over to a traditional IRA but I was told I'm not allowed to touch it so I started a Roth IRA for 2016 so I can still contribute this year. Just picked a few ETFs, very excited.

For those who have more experience, can you give me some advice on the new ETF called WEAR? I feel like the wearable industry is going to skyrocket but my accountant says he doesn't see the need to invest yet it might take a while because it's new and hasn't been traded much.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 23192
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMG wrote:
So my Amazon stocks vest in December (I get four every two years as an employee) and of course the stocks have plummeted lately.

Btw, do any of y'all have tips with minimizing capital gains tax or is it something you just have to suck up when cashing stocks? I don't plan on cashing my Amazon stocks until I graduate college and can manage to easily leave that hellhole, but I really don't want Uncle Sam getting 1/3 of that pie.

I know this is a post from November, but i thought capital gains taxes were only 15%.
_________________
If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 35257
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
DMG wrote:
So my Amazon stocks vest in December (I get four every two years as an employee) and of course the stocks have plummeted lately.

Btw, do any of y'all have tips with minimizing capital gains tax or is it something you just have to suck up when cashing stocks? I don't plan on cashing my Amazon stocks until I graduate college and can manage to easily leave that hellhole, but I really don't want Uncle Sam getting 1/3 of that pie.

I know this is a post from November, but i thought capital gains taxes were only 15%.
They are, unless you make an ungodly amount of money, and then they're 20%.

He would have to pay more income tax on the shares because Amazon is giving them to him though. That's where the 1/3 number is coming from.

OP, if you hold onto the stock for more than a year, you don't actually pay income tax on it, you pay capital gains tax. Should cut your tax obligation by about half.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 9831
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about jumping back on Microsoft. Going to wait things out.
_________________

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbadbuff23835


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 11494
Location: NY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super interested in purchasing stocks. I'm a 23 year old college student, any recommendations or things to share?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10525
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
I'm super interested in purchasing stocks. I'm a 23 year old college student, any recommendations or things to share?

set up a Roth IRA and buy some commision-free, low expense ratio ETF's.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 23192
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
I'm super interested in purchasing stocks. I'm a 23 year old college student, any recommendations or things to share?

set up a Roth IRA and buy some commision-free, low expense ratio ETF's.

And before you start going hog wild with that, consider some other things you'll probably doing in the coming years. Most people post college upgrade their rust bucket car, buy a house, get married, have kids. These things are all expensive. You should start saving for retirement, absolutely. You shouldn't be sinking big amounts of your net worth in non-retirement investments just to turn around put all those items on huge loans.

That being said, for an amateur investor ETF's are a good way to go. It's fairly easy to find good ones that offer good returns and low risk (relatively).
_________________
If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10525
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
I'm super interested in purchasing stocks. I'm a 23 year old college student, any recommendations or things to share?

set up a Roth IRA and buy some commision-free, low expense ratio ETF's.

And before you start going hog wild with that, consider some other things you'll probably doing in the coming years. Most people post college upgrade their rust bucket car, buy a house, get married, have kids. These things are all expensive. You should start saving for retirement, absolutely. You shouldn't be sinking big amounts of your net worth in non-retirement investments just to turn around put all those items on huge loans.

That being said, for an amateur investor ETF's are a good way to go. It's fairly easy to find good ones that offer good returns and low risk (relatively).

I suggested a Roth IRA because if you want to buy a car or house or something you can pull the money out, which is nice.

For a young person, clearing debt and saving for a house/car should take precedence over retirement savings, and especially over making risky bets on the stock market.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikesfan89


Joined: 01 Dec 2013
Posts: 1216
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's a good place to put emergency fund money? Right now I just have in a savings account at the local bank because it's convenient and only$1000. The interest rate is like .05% though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10525
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesfan89 wrote:
Where's a good place to put emergency fund money? Right now I just have in a savings account at the local bank because it's convenient and only$1000. The interest rate is like .05% though

It depends how fast you might need to access it. If it is only $1000 and you might need it within a day, keep it in savings. If you have more than that and won't ever need it within 48 hours you should probably put it into an IRA or some other sort of investment.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anonymous3


Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 3649
Location: 12,998 ft above sea level
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple questions that didn't need their own thread so gonna slide them in here.

What is everyone's favorite rewards credit cards? I currently have a Discover card that gets me 5% rolling categories and 1% elsewhere and a Capital One that is 1.5% cashback. I usually use the CO card to rack up cashback and the Discover card for gas, amazon, whatever the category is. I just didn't know if I was missing out on a better option.

Also, I don't travel often now, but I'm relocating for a job so I'll be flying to IN and FL multiple times a year soon. Is even 5-6 flights a year worth building airline miles as opposed to cash back? I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. I pay off my card in the grace period and have zero debt so I'm not worried about my APR since I'll have emergency funds in no time but I'd prefer not having an annual fee since there are so many options out there.

And what's the preferred way to save up for a down payment on the home? I know there are plenty of assets that can be liquidated quickly, I just couldn't definitively determine which was allowed the easiest access in a (hopefully) short period of time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 9831
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else use Robinhood? I've been using it and thinking about switching.
_________________

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 23192
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
Had a couple questions that didn't need their own thread so gonna slide them in here.

What is everyone's favorite rewards credit cards? I currently have a Discover card that gets me 5% rolling categories and 1% elsewhere and a Capital One that is 1.5% cashback. I usually use the CO card to rack up cashback and the Discover card for gas, amazon, whatever the category is. I just didn't know if I was missing out on a better option.

Also, I don't travel often now, but I'm relocating for a job so I'll be flying to IN and FL multiple times a year soon. Is even 5-6 flights a year worth building airline miles as opposed to cash back? I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. I pay off my card in the grace period and have zero debt so I'm not worried about my APR since I'll have emergency funds in no time but I'd prefer not having an annual fee since there are so many options out there.

And what's the preferred way to save up for a down payment on the home? I know there are plenty of assets that can be liquidated quickly, I just couldn't definitively determine which was allowed the easiest access in a (hopefully) short period of time.

Don't know about the first two, but the best place for a short term savings like that (3 years or less) is a money market account. I believe Ally is still offering 1% money markets. It's liquid and gives you a little bit of money in return.

Most brick and mortars won't give you good rates on money markets (less than .2% last time i checked). Anything that gives you a better rate locks you in (like a CD). Anything better than 1% is likely a market investment, which stands the chance of going down as much as it does up.
_________________
If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 15392
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's opinions on the next big thing? I don't know if it's been discussed but I guess it's not a bad thing to keep the discussion going every now and then.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 53 of 55

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group