You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the game is won in the trenches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planc33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract the sure thing comment. I agree that there is no "sure thing" . I was just think that he is about as close as it gets out of all the defensive players in this years draft. I am becomming a believer in Huff the more I read and see of him.
planc33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lofa Tatupu for the Seahaks is only 5-11 and a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on him because of his size. He is a perfect example of how the measureables make people forget about the heart, desire, knowledge and instincts that a player has. Plus, Hawk is ugly as all hell. Knock his front teeth out and put #66 on him, Ray Nitschke born again.
underdogX3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk is short and doesn't change direction well...so what does that mean? Nothing IMO. Just like the Mario disappears for plays means nothing IMO. There's no sure thing.

AJ projects to be very solid but not a superstar. I see him being a Dan Morgan type of player.

Mario? Who knows, could be more risky but he's nowhere near his ceiling.

Huff? Maybe the best combo of low risk and big upside. I think he could be as good as Ed Reed. Who knows? He certainly knows how to cover and return INTs for TDs.

I'll take Mario for pure size, speed, and rediculous athletism. Huff is a very close 2nd. I like AJ a lot but you can't ignore the depth in the draft. Guys like Carpenter, Jackson, Hodge aren't giving up much to AJ - they are probably 1st rounders in a draft that wasn't this loaded.
goombar2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread was "the game is won in the trenches".

Last I saw linemen are in the trenches, not linebackers... They play off the line of scrimmage... So why the hype then for the Pack to take a linebacker?
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombar2 wrote:

Last I saw linemen are in the trenches, not linebackers... They play off the line of scrimmage... So why the hype then for the Pack to take a linebacker?

Let's not get off topic Laughing Laughing Laughing
I was wondering the same thing, but alas Mario was mentioned so they were trying

linebacker is by far our biggest need (we resign Kampman and Peterson to go along with KGB and Montgomery )and when we pick: A.J. Hawk and Mario Williams will probably be BPsA so IMO we take best player and need in A.J. Hawk. We can still draft a DE in round 2 or 3

Iam trying to figure out why some people talk up Mike Montgomery in one thread but when it comes to arguing against A.J. Hawk those same people rarely mention Montgomery as a viable option at DE, KGB is too expensive to get rid of right now and Kampman's season this past year might take some of the attention off him
Packersshame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
goombar2 wrote:

Let's not get off topic Laughing Laughing Laughing
I was wondering the same thing, but alas Mario was mentioned so they were trying

linebacker is by far our biggest need (we resign Kampman and Peterson to go along with KGB and Montgomery )and when we pick: A.J. Hawk and Mario Williams will probably be BPsA so IMO we take best player and need in A.J. Hawk. We can still draft a DE in round 2 or 3

Iam trying to figure out why some people talk up Mike Montgomery in one thread but when it comes to arguing against A.J. Hawk those same people rarely mention Montgomery as a viable option at DE, KGB is too expensive to get rid of right now and Kampman's season this past year might take some of the attention off him

Actaully, DE is not very deep in this draft. After Mario, you have Hali, Kiwi and Tapp, after that, it drops off a bit.

In second round, we have good chance at Hodge, Carpenter, Lawson, etc...
goombar2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you guys are saying is, stay the coarse with the same D-line that ranked 23rd against the run?

I don't subscribe to that belief. There has to be a change and Kampy for Mario will be that change.

Later, possibly in the second, we will get a linebacker. But with the major up grade, any and all linebackers will look better.

Does anyone remember the linebackers from our championship season behind Reggie White...? It was George Koonce and Wayne Simmons...

Neither we very good. Simmons was a 1st round pick that was let go in FA and Koonce I believe ended his career on IR.

Linebackers are just that folks, backers behind the line. If our D-line doesn't get an upgrade don't expect AJ Hawk to fix our run problem.
Packersshame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombar2 wrote:
So what you guys are saying is, stay the coarse with the same D-line that ranked 23rd against the run?

I don't subscribe to that belief. There has to be a change and Kampy for Mario will be that change.

Later, possibly in the second, we will get a linebacker. But with the major up grade, any and all linebackers will look better.

Does anyone remember the linebackers from our championship season behind Reggie White...? It was George Koonce and Wayne Simmons...

Neither we very good. Simmons was a 1st round pick that was let go in FA and Koonce I believe ended his career on IR.

Linebackers are just that folks, backers behind the line. If our D-line doesn't get an upgrade don't expect AJ Hawk to fix our run problem.

I concurr. Great DE are really hard to find and their ability to change the defense.

Case in point:

Javon Kervse. When Kervse was drafred by the Titans, he took is so so defense and made it a dominant one. He changed the blocking schemes the plays the opponent runs.

Mario might do that to our defense. I am not sure Mario is THAT good but he is far and away the most talented pass rusher in this draft. We be crazy to pass on a player who has potential to be great vs one who will be "a solid pro" if we stay at 5.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: