Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Eagles Graveyard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Word_is_Bond

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: The Eagles Graveyard Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt to live in the past, right? The purpose of this tread is to talk about any player who has ever suited up in an Eagles uniform, whether it was a Brian Dawkins or a Reno Mahe. I'll provide occasional write-ups on players including: when they were drafted/signed, what was expected of them, and how they actually panned out. Feel free to post some of your own as well! Following installments, it's encouraged that you provide answers to these following questions:

-What did you expect from the player when they were drafted/signed?
-How do you think their career as an Eagle panned out?
-Overall feelings on that specific player

The point of this thread is, as I said, to talk about former players; it is also a means of bringing more discussion into the forum, mainly during the dry part of the off season after the draft. As I said, I will post occasional short write-ups, but feel free to post your own as well.

Mad props to Kiltman on this tremendous graphic

WiB's 50 Greatest Players of All Time (NBA)
#InChipWeTrust
Word_is_Bond

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide Receiver, Freddie Mitchell: 2001-2004

It wouldn't be right to not kick things off with "Fred-Ex" as he evolved into a fan favorite, on this forum at least, more so after his playing career ended. Drafted 25th overall in 2001, a lot was expected from Mitchell and he was expected to emerge as a #1 or at least #2 receiver for the Eagles, but that never happened.

During his rookie season he struggled due to a combination of failure to learn the playbook and a lingering hamstring injury. He started off as the team's 4th receiver, but would move up to the slot towards the end of the season. After signing Antonio Freeman, Mitchell was demoted back to the #4 receiver during his 2nd season and would accumulate only 12 catches throughout the season.

His 3rd season was by far his best for Mitchell, he caught 35 passes for nearly 500 yards. The biggest play of his career, and arguably one of the biggest plays in Eagles history came in the Divisional Round of the playoffs against the Green Bay Packers. Late in the game down by 3, facing a 4th and 26, McNabb fired a dart down by the middle of the field and Mitchell was on the other end to convert on the nearly impossible 4th down conversion. The Eagles would tie the game and go on to win in overtime. The next season Philadelphia added Terrell Owens, which angered Mitchell, and his production decreased. Although, he did score 2 touchdowns in the Divisional Round against the Vikings and said "I just want to thank my hands for being so great." after the game. He would only catch one pass in the Super Bowl against New England.

Freddie Mitchell was pretty bad and never lived up to the 1st round expectations. Nowadays, he serves as a great form of comedy around this forum and is currently serving 37 month sentence for tax fraud.

WiB's 50 Greatest Players of All Time (NBA)
#InChipWeTrust
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012EagHoF #'12GldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #quack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Fred-Ex:
Quote:
-What did you expect from the player when they were drafted/signed?
-How do you think their career as an Eagle panned out?
-Overall feelings on that specific player

1. I was too young to have realistic expectations. All I remember is that we finally got McNabb a WR. How naive. I think this was about the time when the Eagles first started to rob me of my innocence. I thought he'd be a boss. First round WR? He can't fail right?

2. Fred-Ex had a bad career, but he came away with a decent nickname.

3. I hate Freddie Mitchell.
Only for the quick and lucky.
Jroc04

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_and_26

Phirey sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread, I hated Freddie Mitchell. Had we gotten Steve Smith our team would be very different, he was made to play with McNabb.

54 Tackles, 5 TFL's, 4 sacks, 3 fumbles recovered and 1 FF.
Blahman88

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddie Mitchell added me as a brother on facebook

Matts4313 wrote:
Blah will get a solid laugh at my expense.
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012EagHoF #'12GldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #quack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that time we got hyped up about Tony Hunt?

Only for the quick and lucky.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jack Ikegwuonu?

Drafted in the 4th round of the 2008 draft. Was a cornerback for Wisconsin. He was a 1st round talent coming out of school, until he hurt his knee and his stock plummeted.

Nonetheless, we took him in the 4th hoping to get a steal of a player. And he missed the whole 2008 season, only to find himself play one game in 2009 after Joselio Hanson went down. He was then waived.

I remember some people having high hopes for him. He was talented as hell, but that knee injury really hurt him.

Anyone remember that 2010 draft? Where we had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, four 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, a 6th round pick, and three 7th round picks?? And we basically whiffed on every pick....We were LOADED with picks too. The only notable picks were Graham, Nate Allen, and Riley Cooper.

I also remember having high hopes for Ricky Sapp DE out of Clemson. He had a TON of talent, being the #1 DE prospect going into college. I think he could have been good but injuries killed his career.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
mm6492

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

Drafted in the 4th round of the 2008 draft. Was a cornerback for Wisconsin. He was a 1st round talent coming out of school, until he hurt his knee and his stock plummeted.

Nonetheless, we took him in the 4th hoping to get a steal of a player. And he missed the whole 2008 season, only to find himself play one game in 2009 after Joselio Hanson went down. He was then waived.

I remember some people having high hopes for him. He was talented as hell, but that knee injury really hurt him.

Anyone remember that 2010 draft? Where we had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, four 4th round picks, two 5th round picks, a 6th round pick, and three 7th round picks?? And we basically whiffed on every pick....We were LOADED with picks too. The only notable picks were Graham, Nate Allen, and Riley Cooper.

I also remember having high hopes for Ricky Sapp DE out of Clemson. He had a TON of talent, being the #1 DE prospect going into college. I think he could have been good but injuries killed his career.

#RevisionistHistory

2010 Draft
1. Earl Thomas (Brandon Graham)
2. Rob Gronkowski (Nate Allen)
3. Navarro Bowman (Daniel Te'o-Nesheim)
4. Geno Atkins (Trevard Lindley)
4. Greg Hardy (Keenan Clayton)
4. Perish Cox (Mike Kafka)
4. Kam Chancellor (Clay Harbor)
5. Arthur Jones (Ricky Sapp)
5. Antonio Brown (Riley Cooper)
6. Chris Ivory (Charles Scott)
7. Barry Church (Jamarr Chaney)
7. Sam Shields (Jeff Ownens)
7. Victor Cruz (Kurt Coleman)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navarro Bowman is the only one that truly hurts...we had already picked a DE, we needed Linebacker help badly.

Just don't get the logic in not making that pick.

Eagles Forum Hall of Famer | 2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Reigning & Final? ENBD Champion
mm6492

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
Navarro Bowman is the only one that truly hurts...we had already picked a DE, we needed Linebacker help badly.

I was hoping we'd go Earl Thomas (thought he was gonna be a great center field safety) in the 1st, Gronkowski in the 2nd (loved watching him in college until teh back surgery, though if he recovered he could be good), and Bowman (huge Penn State fan).

Was by far the best I've ever done at predicting who we should pick. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm6492 wrote:
Kiltman wrote:

I was hoping we'd go Earl Thomas (thought he was gonna be a great center field safety) in the 1st, Gronkowski in the 2nd (loved watching him in college until teh back surgery, though if he recovered he could be good), and Bowman (huge Penn State fan).

Was by far the best I've ever done at predicting who we should pick. Laughing Laughing Laughing

If the eagles didn't take any of them you didn't do a very good job of predicting.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm6492 wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

#RevisionistHistory

2010 Draft

That team would've been Shocked Shocked Shocked

54 Tackles, 5 TFL's, 4 sacks, 3 fumbles recovered and 1 FF.
mm6492

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
mm6492 wrote:
Kiltman wrote:

If the eagles didn't take any of them you didn't do a very good job of predicting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-Stark wrote:
mm6492 wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

#RevisionistHistory

2010 Draft

That team would've been Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hardy, Atkins, and Jones on the line.
Bowman patrolling behind them.
Thomas, Chancellor, Church, Shields,and Cox in the secondary.

May have caused a few cap issues after the rookie deals Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: