Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2011 Offseason: 3 years ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oland11

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: The 2011 Offseason: 3 years ago Reply with quote

Since I was bored and I saw someone mention this offseason in TAET I thought i'd examine the offseason. So here we go.

Free Agent additions:
Phillip Hunt - Was signed from the CFL after an all-star year in the CFL. He was a backup DE during his tenure here. Did an okay job for someone undersized. Was released following the end of this past season.

Rashad Jeanty - Released during final cuts

Isaiah Trufant - Waived right before the season

Nnamdi Asomugha - Was one of our super big splashes in free agency that summer. Everyone though he was going to the cowboys or the jets. Then we surprised everyone and came in the for the kill. We had him, Asante Samuel and Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie. None of which wanted to play nickel and we weren't able to figure out how to get all three on the field at the same time and cater to their strengths. Therefor he ended up playing a lot of zone and he sucked major mularky at it and it made him digress. We eventually cut his butt after the next season.

Jason Babin - Another addition to what we thought was an all-star lineup at the time. He followed his boo thang, Jim Washburn from the Titans to us after he realized he'd be good in the wide-9. Except we sucked a lot in the Wide 9. So he didn't really help except by looking good with Trent Cole. His first season back he register 18 sacks and his second he was cut halfway through with only 5.5 sacks. I loved him until he started to suck.

Ronnie Brown - Throwing the ball at the one yard line. What more do I need to say?

Ryan Harris - Was supposed to be Mike Vick's blind side since Mike is left handed. He got hurt in training camp and that was that.

Cullen Jenkins - One of the better acquisitions during this offseason. 5.5 sacks, 24 hurries, 7 TKFLs. He did decent enough to last two seasons with us also. He delivered a vicious blow on one of the Giant's RBs one game. Could've been used when we transitioned to a 3-4 but he was made a free agent when we declined to give him his bonus.

Donald Lee - Was cut during final cuts

Evan Mathis - By far the best of the free agents we signed. Since he has came here, he has been considered a top OG in the NFL. And we have rewarded him for it also. Him being here still speaks for itself.

Jarrad Page - Oh god.

Vince Young - What the hell were we thinking? He dubbed us the Dream Team which painted a target on our back. Started three games, 258Yds, 2 TDs, 3INTs; 400 yards, 1TD, 1 INT; 1TD, 4INTs. His record was 1-2. He blew any chance we had at regaining our season.

Draft
Danny Watkins - A soft firefighter who's only recognition was saving Mike Patterson's life. Even I could've done that.

Jaiquawn Jarrett - A player who was viewed as a 4th rounder who we took too high because we needed a safety and he was the top of their board apparently. His only achievement was piledriving his own teammate instead of Rashard Mendenhall.

Curtis Marsh - Was a project player we drafted too high that never panned out. He is apparently on our roster again though...

Casey Matthews - Clay Matthews brother. I like him, rest of you guys don't. He was thrown into the starting MLB spot in the Wide 9 with no offseason. He was set up to fail. He hasn't done anything significant and he is around most likely because of Chip.

Alex Henery - One of two picks that are B+ or greater. He has been shaky recently but he is still with us which is more than most of everyone else on this list. His first season helped us completely forget about that guy David Akers.

Dion Lewis - Poor man's short Lesean McCoy. He left school too early but he was a decent player while he was here. We traded him a while ago.

Julian Vandervelve - The opera singer that was featured on ESPN. He has not done anything here though.

Jason Kelce - The second of two good picks. He beat out Jamaal Jackson for the starting spot and he has been there ever since. You don't hear much about him because he is doing his job. And he will only continue to improve.

Brian Rolle - Replaced Casey Matthews at WILL and made more of it than Casey did. But he still sucked. Only good thing he had was a nice return on monday/sunday night football against the Bears.

Greg Lloyd Jr. - A nobody we traded to the Colts.

Stanley Havili - A decent RB/FB hybrid that we never utilized because we had no need for a FB. I would've loved to have seen him used more but alas. He was removed from the team a while ago also.

Conclusion: We were able to take from this the following: Evan Mathis, Alex Henery and Jason Kelce. What the hell were we thinking when we decided to put all of this together. We were rolling in dough and they were able to fit them all in. And WE all supported all of these moves thinking we just bought our way to the superbowl. Oh god we need to erase this season like Desean Jackson was erased from our memories this offseason.

All in All: We dun goofed.

vinniepaz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back painful memories. I'll never ever in my entire lifetime forget the fireman Watkins pick. That sickening feeling of utter disappointment. I was crushed.

Think this was the beginning of the end for Reid. When was the Juan Castillo promotion too?

I did however love Cullen Jenkins
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA was a lot of fun

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
beachside_eagle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect not mentioned was that there was a lot of excitement about the way Howie structured contracts during this offseason. Not only were we signing big names but we were getting them with very team friendly contracts. Most players flopped, the team certainly did. But the contracts were brilliant and allowed the team to move on quickly to the team we have now.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back a lot of bittersweet memories. On the one hand it was awesome seeing us add so many big names to the team, and the way it happened so fast, due to the lockout, made it all the much sweeter. I remember for about a week after the lockout ended and FA started I was glued to my phone on some website that gave the most up to date news by monitoring every local news outlet. The Cullen and Babin signings got me pretty damn excited, maybe a little pre but idr, and then when I got the news of Nnamdi signing at 6:19 PM I lost it and legit CMJed in public at McDonalds. Of course the bitter part, which also happens to be the only important part, was the fact that the team was a colossal disappointment and made us the national media's punching bag. Oh well, still a fun experience seeing your team dominate FA and actually to sign all the players you signed in your mock FA lol. Overall it was a mess, but we should feel fortunate that somehow after only 3 years we are completely rid of the ill effects of the 2011 FA splurge. Trollsman the gawd

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ire member when I got soo hyped by the Nnamdi signing since I predicted it. Never been the same since

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
mm6492

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachside_eagle wrote:
One aspect not mentioned was that there was a lot of excitement about the way Howie structured contracts during this offseason. Not only were we signing big names but we were getting them with very team friendly contracts. Most players flopped, the team certainly did. But the contracts were brilliant and allowed the team to move on quickly to the team we have now.
Agreed.

And getting Mathis and Kelce have been the biggest impacts for the team. Who would've thunk that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: