Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No QB's RB's or DT's this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progidychld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: No QB's RB's or DT's this year Reply with quote

The reason we shouldn't pick any QB's or RB's for the future is because this years crop is not up to par. Obviously we are not in a position to get Matt Leinart or Vince Young, and I would not trade many picks to get them. I have no faith in Vince Young's future and though Matt Leinart would be great he would cost a pretty penny. I would rather build up the offensive line and defense this year, and use (hopefully) a late first round pick next year to pick our QB or RB of the future. I do not like Jay Cutler, but I fear we will draft him. He reminds me too much of Joey Harrington. Brodie Croyle is not a franchise quarterback, he "might" be a quality starter at the next level, but he is a hit or miss risk I'm not willing to take, and has durability isssues (see Chad Pennington). I love DeAngelo Williams, but I don't think he will be the Jets savior, therefore not worth the fourth overall pick. There are too many questions about his size, speed, and durability (most important RB traits) and I believe it is foolish to pass up on a chance at D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He is going to be an elite tackle for years to come. The only other RB's I like in the draft are Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai, but both are projected first/second round picks and again the need for an offensive line is much more urgent. What is the point of drafting a RB or a QB on the second day of the draft. Most second day picks are not future/quality QB's and RB's . Plus we did that with Cedric Houston last year, and he is not our future. We need a franchise QB or RB with a good complement. Why not wait until next year? The Jets are rebuilding team, its time to admit it, we may have been in the playoffs only a year ago, but those days seem like a distant memory. Why not build up our foundation this year and find our weapons next year?

It is pointless to draft a DT this year because I believe, like many others, believe we are moving to a 3-4 defense. I think Robertson can play DT in the 3-4, he's 6' 1" 320 pounds. If he puts on 10 pounds which I belive he can do, he would be a good sized DT with excellent talent. Not to mention I don't like any of the DT's. The only ones with the size and talent to be a dominating NT in the 3-4 (Ngata and Watson) will be gone early, and Babatunde Oshinowo is the same size a Robertson with half the talent. He has a bad rap of being a player would "doesn't play to his size" and "lacks a nasty demeanor necessary for playing NT in the NFL". There are a few other DT's but none are the right size for an NFL NT and none are all that great.
shortnproud52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could swear I've seen this post before. But anyway, I agree with basically everything you said, EXCEPT...

I think we NEED to draft a HB this year. Next year is our QB year, so we wouldn't be able to get a HB until the 2nd round anyway, and from what I can tell...and its still early...this year's class looks a lot deeper than next year's. A lot of people disagree with me, but if we can get Maroney or Calhoun in the 2nd, then I think we've found our featured back for the future. You can't have a 1st round pick starting at every position...its just not possible. A high 2nd rounder is usually projected to be an NFL starter.

So I say D'Brick in the 1st, Maroney/Calhoun in the 2nd, Mangold/Eslinger in the 3rd, and the best available guard in the 4th. Then maybe a 3-4 DE with our other 4th. 5th we can take a prayer on a QB. Hey, Brady was a 6th rounder, why not? Then in the last 2 rounds, I guess the BPA at WR, CB, or LB would be the right choice.
Progidychld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I posted it in an earlier topic but I wanted to see what people had to say.

I love Maroney and if he falls to the second i say we grab him. Im not so hot on Calhoun, but I really don't know much about him.
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pretty good chance Mangini will switch the defensive scheme to a 3-4. Anyone think Manny Lawson from N.C. State or Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State would be good picks if we acquired another 1st rounder??

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
whydie11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikeFootball05 wrote:
There is a pretty good chance Mangini will switch the defensive scheme to a 3-4. Anyone think Manny Lawson from N.C. State or Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State would be good picks if we acquired another 1st rounder??

too many holes on offense. I do like carpenter though, i think he will go to the giants.
i think jets need to get mangold in the 2nd round; the guys impressive, he will go high in the draft. (RD 2).
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not really big on mangold, don't get mi wrong hes the best center in the draft but hes not worth our 2nd rd pik. If maroney is around for our pik thats the way we definitly shuld go. if we drafted lik this i wuldn't mind.
1st, ferguson 2nd, lawson or maroney, or giles, 3rd eslinger
dlace17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: 3-4 Defenses WIn Championships Reply with quote

I agree with you man that Man-GINA (I ain no fair weather coward pussies) will probably changhe to 3-4 but I dont think Robertson is good enough to be a franchise DT for the Jets. The reason why I just refuse to give this guy a chance is that the Jets are paying too much and are not getting much from him in return. Yes, he has improved but he is not what we were expecting of him when we drafted him. Since we are in the rebuilding mode since that is what I am assuming I would trade Robertson asorb cap penalties from his salary and give the job to Sione Pouha who is 6-3, 325 lbs he is a better fit for a 3-4 and is a lot cheaper. I know he's young and is experience but if we dont give him a chance he will never get the experience he needs. Remember we are not a Superbowl contender anymore. We are not even a playoff contender. If we had Herm and Donnie then we would have a chance because these guys make you a tougher team. They make you want to play for them. It is more X's and O's with Mangini it will take a while for his system to settle in with the players.

Jets fans just be patient.
JETS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Dlace. that is great idea. poiuhu is great for 3-4 n although he is raw, he could learn in this "rebuilding" year. we could prob get a 2 for robertson (he is better than watson so y wouldnt a team)

deafting outside LBso early is bad idea. we need OL n RB. were there really rumers about MArouny falling. that would b awsme with Dbrick n then we could get mangold with the pick from robertson
MrJonathanVilma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No QB's RB's or DT's this year Reply with quote

Progidychld wrote:
The reason we shouldn't pick any QB's or RB's for the future is because this years crop is not up to par. Obviously we are not in a position to get Matt Leinart or Vince Young, and I would not trade many picks to get them. I have no faith in Vince Young's future and though Matt Leinart would be great he would cost a pretty penny. I would rather build up the offensive line and defense this year, and use (hopefully) a late first round pick next year to pick our QB or RB of the future. I do not like Jay Cutler, but I fear we will draft him. He reminds me too much of Joey Harrington. Brodie Croyle is not a franchise quarterback, he "might" be a quality starter at the next level, but he is a hit or miss risk I'm not willing to take, and has durability isssues (see Chad Pennington). I love DeAngelo Williams, but I don't think he will be the Jets savior, therefore not worth the fourth overall pick. There are too many questions about his size, speed, and durability (most important RB traits) and I believe it is foolish to pass up on a chance at D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He is going to be an elite tackle for years to come. The only other RB's I like in the draft are Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai, but both are projected first/second round picks and again the need for an offensive line is much more urgent. What is the point of drafting a RB or a QB on the second day of the draft. Most second day picks are not future/quality QB's and RB's . Plus we did that with Cedric Houston last year, and he is not our future. We need a franchise QB or RB with a good complement. Why not wait until next year? The Jets are rebuilding team, its time to admit it, we may have been in the playoffs only a year ago, but those days seem like a distant memory. Why not build up our foundation this year and find our weapons next year?

It is pointless to draft a DT this year because I believe, like many others, believe we are moving to a 3-4 defense. I think Robertson can play DT in the 3-4, he's 6' 1" 320 pounds. If he puts on 10 pounds which I belive he can do, he would be a good sized DT with excellent talent. Not to mention I don't like any of the DT's. The only ones with the size and talent to be a dominating NT in the 3-4 (Ngata and Watson) will be gone early, and Babatunde Oshinowo is the same size a Robertson with half the talent. He has a bad rap of being a player would "doesn't play to his size" and "lacks a nasty demeanor necessary for playing NT in the NFL". There are a few other DT's but none are the right size for an NFL NT and none are all that great.

i agree with alot of that. ok im not a pessimist. but who really thinks we're a playoff team? not now we arent. we gotta rebuild.

NFL-Jets, Niners, Ravens, Skins (in order of loyalty)
NBA- wizards
College- terps and ducks
baseball-orioles
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no we cant trade robertson nobody wuld take that salary with a guy who hasn't proven much and pouha is a blob of fat he may hav the perfect size for the job but hes got 1/8 of robertsons talent. Pouha is a good substitute for a couple of plays or if robertson injured but hes not starter material.
Progidychld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sione is only a year and 5 months younger and 8 pounds bigger then dewayne. Why is no one willing to give dewayne a chance. 43-53 takles a year is not bad for a DT. He may not have been worth the 4th overall pick, but he is not performing terribly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: