Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Philip Rivers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Philip Rivers Reply with quote

Now that Brian Schottenheimer has been hired as the Offensive Coordinator for the team, rumors have been going around that it may spark trade talks between New York and San Diego involving Philip Rivers. Earlier this season, there were also rumors talking about trade possibilites after Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler both went down with injuries.

But San Diego may want to hold onto the N.C. State product now that Drew Brees tore his labrum in the last game of the season against Denver. But on the other hand, after his performance he may be a questionable prospect. And it's not like he is new to the game, he'll be entering his 3rd season next year.

I believe Philip Rivers has got the potential. Schottenheimer was able to help out Drew Brees dramatically in 2004 when he was considered a bust (much like Rivers is to some now), and he could really develop the kid into a star. The problem is that his contract may be a factor. As the 4th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, he has a hefty price tag on him. He could bring that over to the Big Apple.

This situation would be hit or miss. On one hand, we get the successor to Chad Pennington and he'll leads us back to the playoffs. He shows everyone that a new team is all that he needed to develop into a star. On the other hand, we can be stuck another 5+ years with a "ineffective or injury prone" QB that holds our salary cap hostage.

Also, with McCareins on thin ice and Coles getting up there in years, Cotchery has a good chance of becoming the starting receiver. And he also went to N.C. State. Guess who was throwing him his Torry Holt record breaking receptions...Philip Rivers. It would be a Wolfpack reunion.

But also consider the possibility that we can get a high draft pick (first or second rounder) from San Diego in the trade. We let go of John Abraham, so we don't have to worry about a huge contract extension, and we get a great young prospect.

I feel the acquisition may be a little too risky. But I like Rivers, and the idea of him in a Jets uniform doesn't sound bad at all. Plus we could get another draft pick which never hurts.

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
BATCHAMP2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would love it. Like you said, he has the potential. He has been working with Schott also. A trade for Philip Rivers would have more upside than negatives IMO.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question....what are we giving away to get rivers and the possible 1st or 2nd rounder?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Philip Rivers Reply with quote

NikeFootball05 wrote:

But also consider the possibility that we can get a high draft pick (first or second rounder) from San Diego in the trade. We let go of John Abraham, so we don't have to worry about a huge contract extension, and we get a great young prospect.

i think abraham would be what we are letting up in this trade
JETS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he would b 10X better than a second n fourth which wold prob get for abraham.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i wasnt sure what he meant by that i thought he could have meant not re sign him as in let him go. i think that would be a good trade im for it, especially if we pull out a 3rd rounder or higher(no way bradway gets that deal done)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early in the year, like november-december, there was speculation that san diego was interested in abraham for rivers, and the jets would also get there first round pick. Thats like a dream of a deal. I mean abraham had a good year. The guy did cause like5 force fumbles. He didnt have a great year but hes an elite player. For SD to make that deal, that would be just insane, realsitically speaking, lets say abraham for rivers, and the jets get another second rounder.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Max Jean-Giles
Nick Mangold...protecting the 6'5 230 Philip Rivers...I dont see an injury prone Qb, and thats a sweet deal. At that point we can fill the running back whole somewhere else.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abe for rivers and a 1st rounder would be AMAZING

and if we can protect rivers with d'brick, jean-gilles and mangold that would be even better

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Rivers? Reply with quote

None of us do not have a clue what Philip Rivers will bring to the table if he played on a regular basis. I don't think SD is trading Rivers. WE have to work something with Chad Pennington before we deal with. I think we are better off going with a more veteran QB. I like Brian Griese in TB as a better option.
ihavenothing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like Griese too, but his injury/mediocirty history is just as bad as Pennigton's if not worse. A healed Fiedler might be a better option than Griese.

Philip Rivers wouldn't be a bad option if we could get Jean-Giles and Mangold in second round.

Rivers and 2nd rounder for Abraham and 1st rounder???

Might be a little possible.

Thanks to kdawg24 for the sig
Soaring Jets Wall of Honor Member
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we gave up a 2nd for brees i wuldn't really mind at all, but hes making alot of money so if he comes in expect abe to leave.
Progidychld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Laveranues Coles up in the years... He's barely 28.
Phillip Rivers isn't a bust he got stuck behind a blooming Drew Brees.
And we are NOT going to get Rivers and a first rounder for Abraham and a second rounder thats ridiculous.
However Rivers is a good option compared to a veteran who has limitations and a rookie who has to go through a 1-2 year learning curve (Rivers has already done that).
Just because we give the ball to Rivers does not mean Cotchery is going to become an probowler.
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progidychld wrote:
How is Laveranues Coles up in the years... He's barely 28.
Phillip Rivers isn't a bust he got stuck behind a blooming Drew Brees.
And we are NOT going to get Rivers and a first rounder for Abraham and a second rounder thats ridiculous.
However Rivers is a good option compared to a veteran who has limitations and a rookie who has to go through a 1-2 year learning curve (Rivers has already done that).
Just because we give the ball to Rivers does not mean Cotchery is going to become an probowler.

Laveranues isn't the 24 year old that caught 89 passes for 1,264 yards in 2002. He broke his toe is Washington and has refused to undergo surgery. That's hindering his gamebreaking speed, so now we need a speedy guy.

I never said Philip Rivers was a bust. Point it out to me, where did I put that? That's right, it's not there.

How is it ridiculous to trade Abe and a pick for Philip Rivers and their first rounder? Want to hear why you don't think so.

Again, you're accusing me of saying crap I never said. When did I say Cotchery would become a Pro Bowler all of a sudden if Rivers came?? I don't know, I'm looking but I don't see it.

When you play with teammates for a number of years, you develop chemistry opposed to someone you never even thrown to before. Jerricho broke Torry Holt's records, so someone must have been throwing the ball well to him. They all ready have that comfort zone, and that would make River's stay here more comfortable since he knows someone on the team.

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

Progidychld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laveranues had turf toe and surgery wasn't necessary. Not that it matters much but he didnt have a quarterback this year.

I believe Philip Rivers has got the potential. Schottenheimer was able to help out Drew Brees dramatically in 2004 when he was considered a bust (much like Rivers is to some now)

OKAY you didn't say you thought he was a bust "some think he is" but i have yet to hear anyone say he was a bust SORRY.

I exaggerated a little with the probowler comment SORRY. I doubt he will become a starter for us after 2 fairly unsuccessful seasons. Your probably going to say well we didnt have a good quarterback. Well he wasnt on the field at reciever much which normally means he was producing like a starter in practice. If your right then he was behind two pretty bad recievers why wasnt he on the field?

Breaking Holts records means nothing. Records in college football for the most part dont translate into NFL success.
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_1p.asp?ID=5347

That shows you Laveranues needs surgery.

Quote" One area of concern for the Jets could be a chronic toe injury that has plagued Coles the last two seasons. The Redskins wanted him to have surgery, but Coles was reluctant to undergo any procedure."

College records show you have talent. He must have been doing something right to be doing better than Torry Holt. And do you think that's all I rely on to evaluate his talent...NO. I've seen him play and I've liked what I've seen these past few seasons. If McCareins leaves, then he will replace him.

Why are you looking for an arguement? I'm tired of arguing with people here, it's annoying as hell.

The best you can do is not accuse me of stuff I didn't say. Then you won't have to be saying SORRY once or twice in every post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: