Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How good would JJ Watt be at Baseball?
GOAT.
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
HOF.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: If... Reply with quote

Pitcher or hitter. Either or.

Troy Brown wrote:
oh man vcp is on point tonight

#JDI #FreeMattBarkley.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably awful at both. Like really terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason to believe he would be able to play pro baseball. He's a big guy and an athlete but unless he has a super strong arm or uncanny ability to hit a baseball he wouldn't make it.

jfinley88 wrote:
"no it's (color)" "no it's other (color)"

#JDI
biggio7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdoPFixTm_o

He took batting practice at MM before and hit a few HRs to the short porch in left. He could obviously hit for power when he connects right. If you are a great athlete, you could play pretty much any sport well enough. But, to actually excel at a high level for that league, you'd really have to spend a lot of time at it and learn how to play.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Branyan with a lower batting avg IMO

#BMI
R.I.P. Stuart Scott & Dean Smith Crying or Very sad
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd tell the pitcher to just lob it to him and no pitcher would have the cajones to say no. GOAT

#JDI
bkobow05

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
He'd tell the pitcher to just lob it to him and no pitcher would have the cajones to say no. GOAT
John Rocker wouldn't back down.

#BMI
R.I.P. Stuart Scott & Dean Smith Crying or Very sad
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:

Acting like Watt is Oakman.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Herbie_Hancock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid thread is stupid.

CalhounLambeau on the awesome work!
mission27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:

He took batting practice at MM before and hit a few HRs to the short porch in left. He could obviously hit for power when he connects right. If you are a great athlete, you could play pretty much any sport well enough. But, to actually excel at a high level for that league, you'd really have to spend a lot of time at it and learn how to play.

I mean, hand eye coordination is really the beginning and the end of hitting. You can either hit or you can't. And a defensive lineman doesn't do anything that requires that skill set. You can't project JJ Watt into MLB because we don't know if he can play baseball.

Being a great athlete can make you a really great player (like Mike Trout) but if you can't hit, it doesn't matter how athletic you are. You wont make it. You can't be a valuable player in the league hitting .150.

jfinley88 wrote:

#JDI
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

I mean, hand eye coordination is really the beginning and the end of hitting. You can either hit or you can't. And a defensive lineman doesn't do anything that requires that skill set. You can't project JJ Watt into MLB because we don't know if he can play baseball.

Being a great athlete can make you a really great player (like Mike Trout) but if you can't hit, it doesn't matter how athletic you are. You wont make it. You can't be a valuable player in the league hitting .150.

I can't tell if you are backing up my point or not. Think

Hand eye coordination is the essence of basically every sport. You can only do so much in any sport well enough if you are a great athlete. Eventually, the skill of that sport kicks in. So, a great athlete can only go so far until they learned more. I don't think Trout is a good example, because he is a great athlete (5 tool) but he is an excellent baseball player too. They don't always go hand in hand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
mission27 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

I can't tell if you are backing up my point or not. Think

Hand eye coordination is the essence of basically every sport. You can only do so much in any sport well enough if you are a great athlete. Eventually, the skill of that sport kicks in. So, a great athlete can only go so far until they learned more. I don't think Trout is a good example, because he is a great athlete (5 tool) but he is an excellent baseball player too. They don't always go hand in hand.

Right, that's my point. Athleticism can take you from good to great (Trout) but if you don't have the skill to begin with it literally doesn't matter if you look and move like JJ Watt or Dustin Pedroia - without the skills you aren't going to be a professional baseball player at any level. I think you are overestimating how important hand eye coordination is in football at the d-line position. I think JJ Watt could be JJ Watt even if he had subpar hand eye coordination. But he couldn't be a professional baseball player without it.

The point I was disagreeing with was "If you are a great athlete, you could play pretty much any sport well enough." To be a professional baseball player I don't think being a great athlete matters that much. Its not just that Watt wouldn't be a good pro. He'd be atrocious most likely. I doubt he'd be able to hit any better than your average pitcher (who are great athletes but just lack the skills necessary in hitting a baseball). Skill and coordination and eyesight and timing is so much more important than natural athleticism in baseball when compared to other sports. Especially defensive line where you are mostly getting by on athleticism and technique.

jfinley88 wrote:

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: