Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE Baltimore Orioles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
S. Taylor


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 11174
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
What do you guys think of Ryu Hyun Jin?



He's going to be expensive, and from what I've read...
The O's aren't willing to make anything more than a 3 year commitment to a pitcher.

Since the O's have Bundy and Gausman waiting in the wings, I think they'll look for a more experience veteran that's willing to accept a 3-4 year deal.

I just hope it's not Edwin Jackson.
I wouldn't be surprised if they reach out to Anibal Sanchez.
If they can get Sanchez for 3 years/45-50 million...
They'll probably do it.
_________________
"What's a classic these days, when they call your stuff a classic on release day?
I'm in the wrong era & it's clear to me."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
What do you guys think of Ryu Hyun Jin?



He's going to be expensive, and from what I've read...
The O's aren't willing to make anything more than a 3 year commitment to a pitcher.

Since the O's have Bundy and Gausman waiting in the wings, I think they'll look for a more experience veteran that's willing to accept a 3-4 year deal.

I just hope it's not Edwin Jackson.
I wouldn't be surprised if they reach out to Anibal Sanchez.
If they can get Sanchez for 3 years/45-50 million...
They'll probably do it.


I would love to see us make a play at Shohei Otani as a more long-term move. I'm not 100% sure how the new international cap will factor into this as a potential move, though.


http://sports.yahoo.com/news/japan-high-school-pitcher-otani-130618579--mlb.html
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27607
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard that Otani is massively overrated as a prospect and can barely find the strike zone, so I'm not sure what to think about moving for him.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Have heard that Otani is massively overrated as a prospect and can barely find the strike zone, so I'm not sure what to think about moving for him.


Where you hear that from? Not disagreeing, just wondering. If he has the arm talent and only 18, maybe he's a guy that could benefit immensely from Peterson's mechanics magic (assuming we can keep him in Baltimore). The thing is, if he won't be incredibly expensive, there's no harm in getting him in to the system as long as we aren't relying on him to be the next Cy Young. One thing DD has done a great job is getting guys in here who can compete for spots on the ML roster, international guys in particular.

In the past it felt like what was at the ML level was what was going to be there no matter underperformance. This season it looks like we might have:

Hammel
Chen
Tillman
Gonzo
Saunders (who knows)

At the ML level, with:

Arrietta
Matusz
Britton
S Johnson
Gausman
Bundy

All down on the farm fighting for a coveted SP spot in the majors. Under previous regimes, we would probably have trotted out Tillman, Britton, Arrietta, Guthrie, Matusz this past season come hell or high water and not have been in much better shape coming into this season.

*Not sure what happens with Wada this season, speaking of international signings.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ktizzzlee21


Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 160
Location: 301 maryland
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/268192856404025345


this would be a great pickup for the o's....he tears up lhp...if we resign mclouth they can platoon. i'd sign him to a 2 year deal 4 mil per year. put reimold in AAA to see if he can stay healthy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonnyQuest


Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Posts: 1679
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck didn't win AL Manager of the Year. What the BUCK?!?!

It's a travesty!!!
_________________

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonnyQuest


Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Posts: 1679
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got McLouth resigned!

Great deal. Didn't commit multiple years and is very cheap.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/383073/tribe-stepping-up-intensity-on-kevin-youkilis
_________________

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what trades the Orioles have in the works. Roch Kubatko said a deal is extremely likely

Billy Butler, Michael Morse? Butler seems unlikely and Morse won't be traded if LaRoche doesnt resign
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently McLouth signed to a 1 year $2M deal. Love it. I wouldn't be upset if we went with a Nolan/Nate platoon in left. Also, still leaves the door open for Hamilton with Mclouth as the #4 OF, backing up all outfield spots. Would definitely still get significant playing time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
S. Taylor


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 11174
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Apparently McLouth signed to a 1 year $2M deal. Love it. I wouldn't be upset if we went with a Nolan/Nate platoon in left. Also, still leaves the door open for Hamilton with Mclouth as the #4 OF, backing up all outfield spots. Would definitely still get significant playing time.


I like that deal.
The rumor is that the Mariners are in serious pursuit of Josh Hamilton.

I have a strange feeling that the Orioles won't sign him.
_________________
"What's a classic these days, when they call your stuff a classic on release day?
I'm in the wrong era & it's clear to me."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does it seem that this team is a little worse off than it was last year? Davis would be the new 1B now and that's a downgrade defensively, and that would mean that the definition of mediocre (Wilson Betemit) would be our DH. Even though Reimold could be the DH. I know the off season is not over yet and some things could happen, but I'm slightly worried.

I'm not asking for a trade for the sake of trade, but don't tell me this team is in better position right now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S. Taylor


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 11174
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that this team is a little worse off than it was last year? Davis would be the new 1B now and that's a downgrade defensively, and that would mean that the definition of mediocre (Wilson Betemit) would be our DH. Even though Reimold could be the DH. I know the off season is not over yet and some things could happen, but I'm slightly worried.

I'm not asking for a trade for the sake of trade, but don't tell me this team is in better position right now.


Mark Reynolds is likely gone, and that was to save money.
They haven't added anyone.

They've definitely stayed the same, and possibly, have gotten worse.

I remember reading that the O's are more likely to make a trade for a slugger than to sign one. I'm guessing that means they won't sign Josh Hamilton, but rumors are just rumors. I don't know which slugger can be acquired by way of trade, nor am I interested in moving any of the current players/prospects.
_________________
"What's a classic these days, when they call your stuff a classic on release day?
I'm in the wrong era & it's clear to me."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that this team is a little worse off than it was last year? Davis would be the new 1B now and that's a downgrade defensively, and that would mean that the definition of mediocre (Wilson Betemit) would be our DH. Even though Reimold could be the DH. I know the off season is not over yet and some things could happen, but I'm slightly worried.

I'm not asking for a trade for the sake of trade, but don't tell me this team is in better position right now.


Mark Reynolds is likely gone, and that was to save money.
They haven't added anyone.

They've definitely stayed the same, and possibly, have gotten worse.

I remember reading that the O's are more likely to make a trade for a slugger than to sign one. I'm guessing that means they won't sign Josh Hamilton, but rumors are just rumors. I don't know which slugger can be acquired by way of trade, nor am I interested in moving any of the current players/prospects.


You think the Orioles would be trying to improve on 2012, but I still think they've gotten slightly worse. And I really have no idea who this slugger they would be going after is
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that this team is a little worse off than it was last year? Davis would be the new 1B now and that's a downgrade defensively, and that would mean that the definition of mediocre (Wilson Betemit) would be our DH. Even though Reimold could be the DH. I know the off season is not over yet and some things could happen, but I'm slightly worried.

I'm not asking for a trade for the sake of trade, but don't tell me this team is in better position right now.


Mark Reynolds is likely gone, and that was to save money.
They haven't added anyone.

They've definitely stayed the same, and possibly, have gotten worse.

I remember reading that the O's are more likely to make a trade for a slugger than to sign one. I'm guessing that means they won't sign Josh Hamilton, but rumors are just rumors. I don't know which slugger can be acquired by way of trade, nor am I interested in moving any of the current players/prospects.


You think the Orioles would be trying to improve on 2012, but I still think they've gotten slightly worse. And I really have no idea who this slugger they would be going after is


I don't know. I'm sad to see mark go, but I'm not so sure this team is really "worse" at this point. Our starting pitching was so much better at the end o the year compared to the beginning. Machado should get better and will be up for a whole year. Add in better health for nick and hammel and this team should certainly be better. I could see us adding another peice.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that this team is a little worse off than it was last year? Davis would be the new 1B now and that's a downgrade defensively, and that would mean that the definition of mediocre (Wilson Betemit) would be our DH. Even though Reimold could be the DH. I know the off season is not over yet and some things could happen, but I'm slightly worried.

I'm not asking for a trade for the sake of trade, but don't tell me this team is in better position right now.


Mark Reynolds is likely gone, and that was to save money.
They haven't added anyone.

They've definitely stayed the same, and possibly, have gotten worse.

I remember reading that the O's are more likely to make a trade for a slugger than to sign one. I'm guessing that means they won't sign Josh Hamilton, but rumors are just rumors. I don't know which slugger can be acquired by way of trade, nor am I interested in moving any of the current players/prospects.


You think the Orioles would be trying to improve on 2012, but I still think they've gotten slightly worse. And I really have no idea who this slugger they would be going after is


I don't know. I'm sad to see mark go, but I'm not so sure this team is really "worse" at this point. Our starting pitching was so much better at the end o the year compared to the beginning. Machado should get better and will be up for a whole year. Add in better health for nick and hammel and this team should certainly be better. I could see us adding another peice.


Reynolds is much better at first than Davis and we now have a giant hole at DH. Reimold could file it if healthy but thats a big if.

Don't really see a trade at this point
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 53 of 66

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group