Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE Baltimore Orioles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1664
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something magic happens. Crying or Very sad

A part of my sports soul left in game 3. We fought and battled to get back in the race. Very tough pill to swallow for me personally. I thought we should've swept The Evil Empire, but they did what they had to do and came out on top.

In spite of our failure to make moves with RISP, I'm still proud of my boys. My Pitching played their asses off. We were a team made up of duck tape and superglue who had a nice run. Just wish Markakis, Reimold and Roberts were there to help out.

Now it's onto the off-season. Let's grab Greinke, trade for Headley and get a bat who knows how to make runs happen. Then after it's all said and done, Let's go win a championship!

To my 2012 Orioles... I salute you my dudes!
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ktizzzlee21


Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Location: 301 maryland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 will be a fun year for oriole fans. With the addition of Bundy in the starting rotation and maybe even Gausman. i see are starting pitching staff improving to be one on the best in the AL. Hammels, Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen, Bundy. I see Gausman starting in AA and making it to the bigs by August. Bullpen stays intact cept for o'day becoming a free agent. I could see the o's signing him to a 3 year 15 mil contract. The nucleus of weiters, jones, manny, and markakis of another year of experience. 2012 was not a fluke. The o's will be right back fighting for an AL East division Title next year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29548
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can really muster to say, a couple of days late of course as I was away from a computer all weekend, is that I'm so damn proud of the 2012 Orioles and, even if it ended in disappointment, it was a season that led up to the sort of disappointment we forgot existed. This was a season that reminded me why I love sports, so deeply personal in a myriad of ways, and although it's hard to expect us to replicate this next year, the simple fact has been established that the Baltimore Orioles are not pushovers.

Friday night was heartbreaking... let's hope that we can look back on this as the beginning of something special, not a mirage in the midst of a barren desert.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8846
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
All I can really muster to say, a couple of days late of course as I was away from a computer all weekend, is that I'm so damn proud of the 2012 Orioles and, even if it ended in disappointment, it was a season that led up to the sort of disappointment we forgot existed. This was a season that reminded me why I love sports, so deeply personal in a myriad of ways, and although it's hard to expect us to replicate this next year, the simple fact has been established that the Baltimore Orioles are not pushovers.

Friday night was heartbreaking... let's hope that we can look back on this as the beginning of something special, not a mirage in the midst of a barren desert.


I agree with pretty much everything here. I will always cherish the 2012 season. Even if we were to win it all in 2013, I'm not sure that I would remember look back on that season as fondly as I will the 2012 season. So proud of this team. Was looking over on the OH and haven't been back since as I have seen so many people being negative about this team. It's one thing to be upset, but I honestly feel bad for those people who can't hold onto the joy of this season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8846
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Obviously I am very happy about this orioles season. If somehow we could win it all, I wouldn't care if we endured 15 more losing seasons. That being said, all of this talk of the Orioles' success being unsustainable and "lucky" got me thinking about next season. Why can't this team be good next season. The Keith Laws of the world don't think this team is talented or good, but when you look at what we have going into next season, and the potential to add to the roster, I don't see why this team can't compete. This season there are a few guys who are having career years (Jones), but their are also a few guys underperforming (i.e. Hardy's BA and OBP). I really hope we go out and sign a TOR starter. For the purpose of this exercise, let's say we sign Greinke. That's the only FA signing I will include.

LF - Nolan Reimold
RF - Nick Markakis
DH - Chris Davis
CF - Adam Jones
C - Matt Weiters
1B - Mark Reynolds
SS - JJ Hardy
3B - Manny Machado
2B - Ryan Flaherty

BN - Nate McLouth
BN - Wilson Betemit
BN - Robert Andino
BN - Taylor Teagarden

SP - Zack Greinke
SP - Jason Hammel
SP - Wei-Yin Chen
SP - Chris Tillman
SP - Miguel Gonzalez

RP - Jim Johnson
RP - Darren O'Day
RP - Pedro Strop
RP - Luis Ayala
RP - Steve Johnson
RP - Troy Patton
RP - Tommy Hunter

Notables starting in minors -
Dylan Bundy
Kevin Gausman
Jake Arrietta
Brian Matusz
Zach Britton
LJ Hoes
Xavier Avery
Jon Schoop

I would like to see us target a 2B, but Flaherty has looked very good lately and I think we really just need a bridge to Schoop until 2014. Chance Roberts is ready for opening day, but I dont count on him at all. I really like a LF platoon of Reimold/McLouth against righties/lefties and riding the hot hand. Also, McLouth can play all 3 OF positions in a bind. This team looks like it could be competitive.

_____________________________________

As far as that NYY article... Really there's nothing to say. I believe that we have used more players at the MLB level than anyone else. Other than Chen, I don't know if anyone pitching now was on the 5-man opening day. I don't care about Yankee sob stories. As you mentioned, we've had Pearce on our roster...


Now that the 2012 MLB season is over Wink , maybe we can get some 2013 roster talk going.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
7DnBrnc53


Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2156
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the O's and their fans on their great season. I thought that you would beat the Evil Empire, but maybe next year. Here's to your first postseason in 15 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3714
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope McLouth comes back.
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29548
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
All I can really muster to say, a couple of days late of course as I was away from a computer all weekend, is that I'm so damn proud of the 2012 Orioles and, even if it ended in disappointment, it was a season that led up to the sort of disappointment we forgot existed. This was a season that reminded me why I love sports, so deeply personal in a myriad of ways, and although it's hard to expect us to replicate this next year, the simple fact has been established that the Baltimore Orioles are not pushovers.

Friday night was heartbreaking... let's hope that we can look back on this as the beginning of something special, not a mirage in the midst of a barren desert.


I agree with pretty much everything here. I will always cherish the 2012 season. Even if we were to win it all in 2013, I'm not sure that I would remember look back on that season as fondly as I will the 2012 season. So proud of this team. Was looking over on the OH and haven't been back since as I have seen so many people being negative about this team. It's one thing to be upset, but I honestly feel bad for those people who can't hold onto the joy of this season.
Can't imagine how anyone couldn't just understand the joy of the season.

15 years of losing, and we get this. I grew to love this team. Honestly, I willingly tried not to care at the beginning of the season. I had become too attached and all it did was give me a midsummer bummer every year. So I paid attention, in spite of myself, but allowed myself to laugh at my Orioles, laught at Angelos' Orioles, and accept that we were losers. And then, against everything everyone said would happen, there emerged just a winner. And not just any winner. A fun, a goddamn likeable winner. A team that clearly loved playing with each other. Something that really made you feel like there existed a small-town community of likeability.

I was just as frustrated to see Adam Jones swing at everything low and away when the Yankees, quite knowingly, sent it at him. I shuddered at Raul Ibanez. I can't believe how much our hitters shut down when it mattered in the ALDS. I was, well, also drunk, but completely heartbroken, while I commiserated with the also-drunk-also-heartbroken Nats fans in DC last Friday while my girlfriend looked on with a look of bemused understanding and annoyance.

2012 was such an incredible year. I really, really hope that we move forward from it. But a failure in 2013 doesn't cancel out what happened this year. We hosted a playoff game! Who saw that coming? Who thought the O's were anything but a punchline? Even I didn't. And they proved it all wrong.

I know we're talking about next year now and I will soon, but I'm not quite ready to move past my love affair with the 2012 Orioles just yet. I Skyped with my dad halfway around the world a couple of weeks ago, talking about these O's and remembering when we went to OPCY when I was a kid; I spent my June buying the cheap seats and sneaking as far down as I could when possible while I crashed my brother in Mount Vernon before I could move up to New York, I gasped at Manny Machado's pump fake, I screamed in the library while cramming for finals my last week in college when Chris Davis won us a game as a pitcher at Fenway, I nearly fought an entire bar in Brooklyn after I screamed obscenities at Raul Ibanez last week in the game you know I'm talking about... this was an incredible year. Let's celebrate that. Just for a second. Because I don't want to let go just yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Typical_Lions


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 2390
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be a very busy off-season for you guys. 15 arb eligible and 7 free agents Shocked

Do you guys think that Mark Reynolds will be back? His contract situation makes me think his option will not be picked up and that he will be non-tendered.

Also, which realistic starter would you most like to acquire?
_________________
Complementary≠ Complimentary
Anybody that says "le sigh" or "doe" better have knife proof skin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonnyQuest


Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Posts: 1853
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical_Lions wrote:
Gonna be a very busy off-season for you guys. 15 arb eligible and 7 free agents Shocked

Do you guys think that Mark Reynolds will be back? His contract situation makes me think his option will not be picked up and that he will be non-tendered.

Also, which realistic starter would you most like to acquire?


http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-rumors/20563579/mark-reynolds-and-nate-mclouth-would-like-to-stay-in-baltimore

Mark has said that he wants to stay in Baltimore, so I would think an extension would be the best route.

As much as his bat is inconsistent, he is a great locker room guy, and was surprisingly efficient on defense at 1st base.
_________________

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S. Taylor


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 11273
Location: By the Lake
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical_Lions wrote:
Gonna be a very busy off-season for you guys. 15 arb eligible and 7 free agents Shocked

Do you guys think that Mark Reynolds will be back? His contract situation makes me think his option will not be picked up and that he will be non-tendered.

Also, which realistic starter would you most like to acquire?


(hitting/LF) Josh Hamilton.
(pitching) Zach Greinke.
_________________
"The key to life is working harder than your situation. Work harder than your situation..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ktizzzlee21


Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Location: 301 maryland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/olneys-latest-sanchez-royals-hosmer.html


Royals want pitching?? i wonder if they would trade Britton + Arrieta for Butler. I would love that deal
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonnyQuest


Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Posts: 1853
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktizzzlee21 wrote:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/olneys-latest-sanchez-royals-hosmer.html


Royals want pitching?? i wonder if they would trade Britton + Arrieta for Butler. I would love that deal


I highly doubt they would do that trade.
_________________

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonnyQuest


Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Posts: 1853
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Ryu Hyun Jin?
_________________

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3714
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
Typical_Lions wrote:
Gonna be a very busy off-season for you guys. 15 arb eligible and 7 free agents Shocked

Do you guys think that Mark Reynolds will be back? His contract situation makes me think his option will not be picked up and that he will be non-tendered.

Also, which realistic starter would you most like to acquire?


(hitting/LF) Josh Hamilton.
(pitching) Zach Greinke.


Neither are realistic
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 52 of 70

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group