Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE Baltimore Orioles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kevin Gregg was looking for leverage, he just got it.

Alfredo Simon the main suspect in the murder of a 25 year old man at a New Year's Eve party in the Dominican Republic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
If Kevin Gregg was looking for leverage, he just got it.

Alfredo Simon the main suspect in the murder of a 25 year old man at a New Year's Eve party in the Dominican Republic.

Great. This is the last thing we need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110102&content_id=16380486&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

^ Link of Simon and his alleged gangsta.

And I will say I'm sore about not landing LaRoache. I wanted him when he was with the Braves. Thought he was a decent option for us. Don't know what to expect from Derrick Lee. I've never been a fan of getting cats out of the NL right off the bat. If he does sign here, let's pray he and Reynolds swing for the fences!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
StRawz11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one else up for the idea of trading Luke Scott then signing Vlad? Orioles would have a great lineup.

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
TheManster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
Any one else up for the idea of trading Luke Scott then signing Vlad? Orioles would have a great lineup.
Scott>Vlad
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManster wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Scott>Vlad

+1

Ray Lewis wrote:

Wise Old Man wrote:
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
TheManster wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Scott>Vlad

+1

+1000.

If they traded Scott for a long-term fix at 1B (like a Yonder Alonso, for example), I'd be okay with them signing a DH. But if signing a DH means moving Scott out to LF, I really don't think it's a good plan. I want Pie/Reimold to get a chance to sink or swim in LF, so we can determine if that's a hole we need to deal with for the long-term. Blocking them, effectively, with a guy like Vlad or Thome doesn't make much sense to me. Yes, it would probably make us a bit better this season, but we're not going to be truly competitive anyway.

The extra win or so we'd get from signing a player like that simply isn't worth forgoing a chance to evaluate Reimold and Pie this season.

O.J. Atogwe Tracker: 25 Tackles | 1 INT | 2 PDs | 2 TFLs | 1 sack
Saverio Rocca Tracker: 44.2 AVG | 41.2 NET | 14/25 IN20
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm very glad about the choice they made with Lee. I think odds are good that he'll bounce back this season. And if he doesn't, no real harm done on a one-year deal.

Just as important, it ensures that we'll still have a 1B hole next season. Which is crucial, because I very much want Prince Fielder on this team. LaRoche is okay, but he's really just a league-average 1B across the board. If signing him for multiple years would take us out of the mix for a legitimate 5-win 1B like Fielder, it would have been a major drag.

sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
Also, I'm very glad about the choice they made with Lee. I think odds are good that he'll bounce back this season. And if he doesn't, no real harm done on a one-year deal.

Just as important, it ensures that we'll still have a 1B hole next season. Which is crucial, because I very much want Prince Fielder on this team. LaRoche is okay, but he's really just a league-average 1B across the board. If signing him for multiple years would take us out of the mix for a legitimate 5-win 1B like Fielder, it would have been a major drag.

Definitely agree with this. Our lineup looks pretty nasty, at least offensively.

Roberts
Jones
Markakis
Scott
Reynolds
Lee
Wieters
Pie/Reimold
Hardy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Scott over Vlad too, but the Orioles need a pitcher and a young first baseman. Thats why I suggested it. I like to think the Orioles will get Pujols or Fielder next year though Very Happy

RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pujols? lol, ain't happenin' captain. But I wouldn't mind if the Orioles took a flyer on Brandon Webb if he's still available. He was a beast for the D-Backs before his surgery. I'm sure he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, right? Or did he sign with someone else? I definitely believe we do need another starting arm in the rotation, though.

Ray Lewis wrote:

Wise Old Man wrote:
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
Pujols? lol, ain't happenin' captain. But I wouldn't mind if the Orioles took a flyer on Brandon Webb if he's still available. He was a beast for the D-Backs before his surgery. I'm sure he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, right? Or did he sign with someone else? I definitely believe we do need another starting arm in the rotation, though.

Rangers signed for about $3M. Not too surprising, given their philosophy of rolling the dice on high-risk, high-reward pitchers (like Rich Harden). I wouldn't have touched him, just based on a report I read that he was sitting in the low 80s during a bullpen session where they were trying to show teams he was healthy.

The guy I want, if we're going to look at a veteran pitcher, is Jeff Francis. He's not great, but he's a good bet to be pretty solid if he's healthy. And he will likely come with a short-term commitment because of his injury issues. On a 1-year deal, he would be a nice long reliever and spot starter to help bridge the gap to Tillman and Britton.

TheManster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

Rangers signed for about $3M. Not too surprising, given their philosophy of rolling the dice on high-risk, high-reward pitchers (like Rich Harden). I wouldn't have touched him, just based on a report I read that he was sitting in the low 80s during a bullpen session where they were trying to show teams he was healthy.
1 year 3 million is high risk? he also says he will be 100% for opening day.
StRawz11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/28670852690092033
Orioles close to deal with Vlad. Pretty impressive lineup, if only the pitching could catch up

e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManster wrote:
e16bball wrote:
RavensfanRD wrote:

1 year 3 million is high risk? he also says he will be 100% for opening day.

Touche. Not really high-risk with that kind of commitment. I guess more accurate would be "risky" guys or "bounce-back candidates." I'm pretty skeptical that he'll ever be the same pitcher again, but not a bad roll of the dice at that price.

As for Vlad, I've gone on record here that I probably wouldn't favor signing him, simply because it's a one-year solution (on what's likely to be an 80-win team or so) that would prevent us from determining what we've got in more long-term options like Pie and Reimold. But there's no doubt that if he's close to the hitter he was in Texas, he makes this lineup even more dangerous. And giving Luke Scott a chance to play every day in LF would certainly help boost his trade value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 3 of 71

Jump to: