Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE Baltimore Orioles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 69, 70, 71  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
Its all about the rotation to me. Matusz is on his way to being an ace, and Guthrie is very solid. I believe in Berg, but Im not convinced about Arrieta or Tillman. Especially Tillman, he was terrible and I dont think he'll ever be that good. Im hoping that Britton wins the job in spring training

That's very liberal praise. He's probably a #3 starter on an average team.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
e16bball

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Matusz is already the best pitcher on this team, and he's only getting better. I suspect he'll be the clear #1 guy by the time the year is through. Guthrie definitely has a rotation spot locked down (though at some point I'm going to want to discuss the idea of trading him here). Arrieta has to have a spot and I think Bergy does too.

To me, the last starter spot can go to either Tillman, Britton, or a veteran innings-eater. First things first, I prefer Tillman over Britton in that spot (though not as a prospect), for several reasons. Tillman has already dominated AAA ball and has nothing left to prove there. Britton has to push deeper into games and, frankly, I'd like to see him improve his control a bit more. Also, Britton is a Boras client...I don't want to start his service clock before we have to.

So for me, it's either Tillman or a veteran guy. I don't see many "veteran guys" I like on the FA market. The only guy I think has some decent upside is Jeff Francis. If we could sign him to a short, incentive-laden deal to protect against his injuries, I'd be okay. Not sure why he'd come here on a deal like that, though, if he could just stay in Colorado for the same thing.

My thought is, unless you can find a way to get a guy like Gavin Floyd from the White Sox (maybe taking on Quentin as well?), just let Tillman sink or swim. He's shown flashes, but at some point he's got to get an extended audition to prove whether he deserves a rotation spot or a spot in the bullpen.

keysersoze3421 wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Its all about the rotation to me. Matusz is on his way to being an ace, and Guthrie is very solid. I believe in Berg, but Im not convinced about Arrieta or Tillman. Especially Tillman, he was terrible and I dont think he'll ever be that good. Im hoping that Britton wins the job in spring training

I don't think it is.

He's not an ace or anything of that nature, but he IS 19th among all pitchers in WAR since 2007 per B-R. The ability to consistently throw 200 innings with an ERA around 4.00 in the AL East is pretty darn valuable. At the very least, I think it makes him "solid."

O.J. Atogwe Tracker: 25 Tackles | 1 INT | 2 PDs | 2 TFLs | 1 sack
Saverio Rocca Tracker: 44.2 AVG | 41.2 NET | 14/25 IN20
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've offered Kevin Gregg a two-year deal worth 8-10M.

Quote:
The two-year deal that the Orioles offered Kevin Gregg is worth between $8-10MM, according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. Gregg continues to negotiate with the Orioles, who still believe they have a chance at the former Blue Jays closer.

From MLBTradeRumors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggybucsfan31 wrote:
We've offered Kevin Gregg a two-year deal worth 8-10M.

Quote:
The two-year deal that the Orioles offered Kevin Gregg is worth between $8-10MM, according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. Gregg continues to negotiate with the Orioles, who still believe they have a chance at the former Blue Jays closer.

From MLBTradeRumors

Not really a fan of this deal, but I guess we could use another proven arm out there with Koji, Gonzo, and JJ. I've heard talk that Gregg wants to be "promised" the closer job...which is absurd, because he's nowhere near as good as Koji, and we've got JJ and Gonzo to mix and match in the 7th/8th innings.

If we signed Gregg, he'd be our 4th best arm out there. It would be an expensive pen, but possibly the best in the AL East at this point. If they could get him to agree in writing that he'd decline arbitration after the deal was over, I'd do it.

StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:

Im not saying hes an ace, but he's one of the best pitchers on the team
(Pathetic, I know)

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanfeedr.com/mlb/2010/12/10/andy-macphails-revenge

Thought you guys might like this, I found it rather amusing. Laughing

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
http://www.fanfeedr.com/mlb/2010/12/10/andy-macphails-revenge

Thought you guys might like this, I found it rather amusing. Laughing

I find it amusing as well.

eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've signed P Jeremy Accardo to a one-year, $1.08 million deal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggybucsfan31 wrote:
We've signed P Jeremy Accardo to a one-year, $1.08 million deal.

Once upon a time he looked like he might one day be a useful reliever. With Accardo, Toronto fell victim to something I like to call "Chris Ray Syndrome" --- not trading a young pitcher who overachieved in the closer role.

Accardo has been a debacle the past few seasons. Not a bad gamble, though...I just wish we could have gotten it done on a MiL deal. If he somehow gets back to his 2007-08 form, he could bring us a compensatory pick after the season.

I keep hearing that we're "close" with Kevin Gregg. Not a huge fan of a 2/$8-10M deal for him, but our bullpen would be pretty strong.

Koji
Gonzo
JJ
Gregg
Berken (if and when he gets back)
Simon/Accardo
VandenHurk

That would actually, believe it or not, probably be one of the best bullpens in the AL.

S. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Source confirmed the #Orioles have inquired about White Sox pitcher Freddy Garcia,"

- Jen Royle of MASN, via Twitter

http://twitter.com/JenRoyleMASN/status/16167077282844672

Well, the O's are trying to sure up their pitching.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Freddy Garcia deal would depend entirely on the salary they gave him. If it's heavily incentive-laden and only guarantees him $1-2M, I'd be cool with that.

If it pushes up towards $4M, I'd start to have a problem with it. I don't see anything special about Freddy Garcia that makes him a significantly better option than Millwood. And if you're willing to give Freddy $4M, you should have been willing to risk Millwood accepting arbitration and getting something like $6M. Odds are he wouldn't have accepted, and if you had at least $4M set aside for a really mediocre veteran innings-eater, it would have been worth the risk.

Hard to imagine him choosing to come to Baltimore when teams like the Mets and Yanks are at least kicking the tires, but we'll see. I'm not married to the idea of guaranteeing Tillman the 5th starter spot.

StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orioles sign Derek Lee

eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm satisfied with Lee. If he can show some sort of his 2008 form, we've gotten a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contract for Lee is likely to be one-year $7.5MM-$8MM. Not bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O's will prob play a little over .500 ball with the additions. They'll probably be competitive again and hopefully get some orange and black back into the park. Still won't be enough with how the AL East is but obviously you never know with the kind of success the Rays put together. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that the O's finish 3rd in the East for the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 2 of 71

Jump to: