You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

THE Baltimore Orioles Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Sweep of the Reds. O's keep rolling.

Big question though, is this level of pitching sustainable through a playoff run?

It's not really a SSS at this point. So I think so.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am disappointed in Chris Davis. It really seemed like he was a genuine power guy who had legitimate ability to challenge for the real HR record every season. His amazing performance last season is now tainted, and I am sure Cruz will come under scrutiny as well.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
Man, I am disappointed in Chris Davis. It really seemed like he was a genuine power guy who had legitimate ability to challenge for the real HR record every season. His amazing performance last season is now tainted, and I am sure Cruz will come under scrutiny as well.

Why do people keep thinking Amphetamines having anything to do with power/steroids?

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

Why do people keep thinking Amphetamines having anything to do with power/steroids?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BALCO_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Amphetamines are great for focus, which helps make better contact (which would lead to more HRs by getting the ball on the sweet spot of the bat more frequently).

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

There are numerous studies that DO show amphetamines can increase physical strength.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140136808930933?journalCode=terg20#preview

While this may not be the primary reason athletes take this drug, you can't ignore the evidence. As with many PED users, it is safe to assume stacking (combining multiple PEDs in a cycle) was involved as well.

RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BALCO_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Amphetamines are great for focus, which helps make better contact (which would lead to more HRs by getting the ball on the sweet spot of the bat more frequently).

Not saying they may not have had performance enhancing effects, just saying they don't contribute to actual gains in strength.

http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/amphet.html

Quote:
The main psychic effects of the amphetamines include wakefulness, alertness, a decreased sense of fatigue, mood elevation, increased self confidence, and a decreased appetite. Amphetamines do not create extra physical and mental energy. Moreover, they are notable for distorting the user's perception of reality and impairing judgment, which may cause an athlete to participate while injured, possibly leading to worse injuries and putting others at risk. "Amphetamines have also been abused by athletes such as gymnasts, wrestlers and ballet dancers to decrease appetite so as to reduce body weight", says Wadler.

Now I'm not sure what exactly Davis was using them for, but given his current season performance and the fact that ESPN said he had a waiver for them as late as last season, I'm not sure why he didn't get a waiver this year or how one can draw the correlation between his performance last year and his taking of the amphetamines when he's under performing taking the exact same thing this year.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Flacco?
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

There are numerous studies that DO show amphetamines can increase physical strength.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140136808930933?journalCode=terg20#preview

While this may not be the primary reason athletes take this drug, you can't ignore the evidence. As with many PED users, it is safe to assume stacking (combining multiple PEDs in a cycle) was involved as well.

Can't see the full text, but that seems like a pretty weak experiment to me; especially trying to disprove multiple studies that speak to the contrary.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Flacco?
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was trying to disprove a 50 year old meta-analysis...

ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Not saying they may not have had performance enhancing effects, just saying they don't contribute to actual gains in strength.
Agreed for the most part (no one would take amphetamines to get stronger, and the appetite suppressant side-effects would likely eat away at those gains anyway).

But that doesn't mean they don't help you hit HRs. HR power is related to, but not entirely made up of a hitter's raw strength, and anything that increases a hitter's ability to connect the barrel of the bat with the baseball is going to increase functional power a whole lot.

You can think of it as analogous to the 'raw power' versus 'in-game power' debate scouts have.

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Now I'm not sure what exactly Davis was using them for, but given his current season performance and the fact that ESPN said he had a waiver for them as late as last season, I'm not sure why he didn't get a waiver this year or how one can draw the correlation between his performance last year and his taking of the amphetamines when he's under performing taking the exact same thing this year.
There are 2 scenarios.

1. Davis takes amphetamines, has a great 2013. Davis is denied waivers, stops taking them, his abilities suffers, so he starts taking them again and tests positive.

2. Davis takes amphetamines and has a great 2013. He's denied a waiver, takes them all year and stinks.

FWIW, I don't think his 2013 was just about amphetamine use any more than I think Bonds' 1998-2004 stretch was only because of steroid use.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on how to utilize Ubaldo in the playoffs? I'd be completely fine not using him at all. Even out of the bullpen he's been volatile. Let's see how his start goes today.

JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that win today! O's showed some great resiliency.

StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:

And the Tiger's showing their horrible bullpen! Want the sweep so bad

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

And the Tiger's showing their horrible bullpen! Want the sweep so bad

Yep, Tigers bullpen is absolute crap, and I am thankful to their management for compiling such a horrible group of relievers.

Also, Delmon Young.

JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys. We are going to the ALCS. Is this real life?

DolphWins

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
So guys. We are going to the ALCS. Is this real life?

Its been far too long.

B-Net Nadasdy#1894

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 70 of 72

Jump to: