Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 14 Raiders @ Jaguars
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Week 14 Raiders @ Jaguars Reply with quote

Oakland Raiders vs. Jacksonville Jaguars

Oakland Raiders:
Total offense: 16th
Total defense 13th

Jacksonville Jaguars
Total offense 17th
Total defense 25th

Break Down of the team:

My two cents:

This is a fist fight in a phone booth. These teams are very similar, just look at the stats. They both play a blend of power football, relying on the run to set up the play action pass.

Breaking it down:

Arrow Jaguars Offense - They are tough! They had back to back physical games agains the Giants and the Titans. They will rely on MJD and hope they see the Raiders that got ripped for 186 by Miami and less the Raiders that tossed Tolbert aside while rattling Rivers all afternoon. They will try to keep the Raider honest with the run and should have some success with MJD and Jennings who has scored 2 TDs in 2 games.

Arrow Raider Offense - Look almost the same as the Jags. Coming off a week in which they ran 52 times and powered behind McFadden and Bush. They will keep this philosophy going, hoping the Raiders trenches are ready to dominate for a 2nd straight week.

Arrow Jaguars Defense - They handled CJ2K last week, but were gouged by the Giants the week before. They give up 109 yards on average to opposing RBs. The Jags don't rely heavy on pressuring the QB. They have only 10 sacks since week 6.

Arrow Raiders Defense - They were gouged by Miami 2 weeks ago. Then played lights out against Tolbert and the Chargers. They rely heavy on pressuring the QB, tallying a tied for league best 36 sacks.

Summing it up

These teams are mirror images of each other. Both play the same blend of football, with the Raiders have a slightly better defense in terms of pressure.

Both teams are going to try to establish the run early. It's the old saying, win in the trenches, win the game. That's been the case with the Raiders all season. Campbell has been fantastic when the Oline is dominating in the run game. The Raiders seem committed to running the ball if last week is any indication.

On defense, slowing down MJD is no easy task. He's went for 100+ in 5 straight. He's physical and doesn't go down on first contact.

The Raiders Dline is physical enough to push the Jags around and hopefully limited MJD from some big plays. The other weapon to watch is their TE Lewis. He's becoming a good one with 8 TD catches on the year.

Raiders are on the road, playing the early slot. They are practicing 3 hours earlier this week to prepare for the time change (smart thinking coach Cable).

Team that wins in the trenches and doesn't make mistakes wins. The Raiders need a win and a KC Chief loss to keep on pace for a showdown in week 17.

Enjoy it Nation!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most glaring stat I saw was turnovers. We are -2 and they are -11. So we really need to win the turnover game.

Garrard has been sacked 26 times and thrown 11 picks. Fumbled 7 times and lost 4.

#1 of course is stop the run and contain Garrard.
SanDiegoRaiderFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job BP. Especially like the graphs.

Looks like the teams are even in terms of offense, but we have the edge in defense. Although I agree that we have to establish the run, at some point Jason Campbell needs to exploit their weak pass defense. Not only is their pass rush weak, but their secondary is suspect too. They're giving up an average passer rating of 98.9, which is the third worse in the league.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Week 14 Raiders @ Jaguars Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
These teams are mirror images of each other

TFDS wrote:
Raiders face mirror image Sunday

http://tfdssports.com/2010-articles/december/raiders-face-mirror-image-sunday.html

And out comes the lawsuit
Laughing jk

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.1 yards more per game Laughing Cool
Raiders_8080

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ur table comes to show this should be a very tuff game for the raiders. I think we will come out on top thou because we want and despertly need this win to have a remote chance at the playoffs.. i also think after that win in sandiego last week we will come off hot into our next game.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. Gerard makes a lot of plays with his feet as well. Keeping him in check won't be easy, but getting to him and hitting him is a start.

Main thing is to keep the UCLA Jags (Jones-Drew & Lewis) from beating us. I don't wanna see Branch covering Lewis at all. Big, tall, basketball player will give him problems. Wimbley has to be with him and get physical.

Hopefully Big John is gonna play. I'm sure this is the game he waited so long for. We'll need him against "Pocket Hercules" whose built like a rock.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

props man, very informative and insightful thread. I think its going to be a close one too. I dont think our run defence is as bad as made out to be and i do think we have the edge in this one.

DEFENSE

If you look at our game against the chiefs, if i remember correctly we held them to under 100 yards...and its the best ground game in the league. What im concluding from that (assuming it wasnt just luck) is that when teams get one dimensional against us we dominate. The Jaguars may be one of the few teams that are more one dimensional that we are, relying way too much on Mojo. We play a very, very physical defense and if the Jags are going to try to give the ball to Mojo 30+ times again this week i see us running away with this one. When we go into run-shutdown mode (which we only do against heavy running teams) our run defense looks very, very good. In the passing game we have to account for lewis and Sims-Walker, however i don't anticipate too much of a problem stopping them because imo Gerard holds onto the ball too long and is a very mediocre QB. He also hasn't faced a pass rush like ours which i think is going to be a nightmare for him.

OFFENSE

Again, i like this match up for us. Offensively, its no secret we are a running team, so playing a powerful run defense is our cryptonite (look at the steelers game)....but from what i've seen of the Jags their run defence doesn't look very good and aren't rated very high either. The most common trait for us is that when we run the ball effectively we win. It looks like we should be able to run the ball effectively on sunday. The Jags defense doesn't really impress me in general, and they have a very poor pass defense, and though our passing game isn't great by any means they are going to have to keep someone on Zach all game otherwise he is going to burn them. same thing with Ford, though i'm not about to crown him "a soon to be top 10 reciever" just yet, he is a homerun threat if i've ever seen one, has reliable hands, and if the Jags try to stack up the box on us im confident that Ford will torch them.

CONCLUSION

i would definitely give us the advantage in the match up. On defense the key is obviously just stopping MOJO, which is easier said than done but our defense has shown that they can do it. On offense our rushing game should have success, and this is one of the easier defenses Campbell has gotten to throw against all year. If we can execute the way we did against the chargers last week i don't see this game being too much trouble for us.
IdigtheRaiders!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Special Teams compare (I'm thinking of Ford's impact)?

1. Props to Big Palooka for the sig
2. Tim Brown is my favorite NFL player of all time.
BayArea07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup BP. We just need to stick to running the football. We're more then capable of beating the Jaguars, much like we were against the Dolphins, but this team needs to just stick with what it does best. If we put the weight of the offense on the passing game and JC's shoulders, we're going to lose. We need to run the ball not only because that's what this team is built for, but because it helps sustain drives, makes it easier for Campbell to pass, and gives our defense more rest to beast like it did against SD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the game, I think this is a good chance to see if Jason Campbell is beginning to make the next step towards proving he can be the guy; winning a game by himself. As BP said, the Jags had CJ on lock last week. Yeah, he is somewhat streaky but the fact remains that he's a terrific RB. Forgive the cliche but if you give him an inch, he'll take a mile and its been seen over and over again.

If Jacksonville can manage to contain McFadden and Bush (we really need to find a nick for that pair because McBush sucks) of which they are capable; we need Campbell and the WR's to step up. The Jags D lets up 250ish yards per game from that graphic. In all the games in which Jason Campbell hasn't been benched (I'll also exclude the first SD game since he only got a half), his average yards per game is 187.2 yards. This should be a game where we see some sort of progress from him; especially building off of last week. Assuming, of course, that he gets some kind of help from the OL and WR's.

Which brings me to those 2. WR's need to make some damn plays more than twice a game. I mean big conversions, nice adjustments and being hungry. Chaz should help with this. The OL, I am not really worried about. Yes, they are up against Knighton and Alualu but we have seen that they are capable of great run blocking. No more Kampman makes me much less scared of pass protection. Just can't go out there and say "damn, doesn't look like we have any game today" like they do every so often.

Not really scared of their offense after last week's effort. Watch out for MoJo Drew and Lewis then see what happens. Even with our depleted set of CB's I'm feeling good about this defensively. Just need to watch out for Garrard scrambling when we're in man. Can't let him have that same easy type of Roethlisberger run.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Week 14 Raiders @ Jaguars Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
These teams are mirror images of each other

TFDS wrote:
Raiders face mirror image Sunday

http://tfdssports.com/2010-articles/december/raiders-face-mirror-image-sunday.html

And out comes the lawsuit
Laughing jk

I will hire Al Davis's lawyers. I'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jags are a joke man lets be serious. they have zero talent outside of alualu, knighten, mjd, lewis, maybe mathis. their secondary blows, toline blows, garrard is inconsistent. they are really pisssing me off this year and overacheiving. i am expecting the raiders to handle business.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders006 wrote:
the jags are a joke man lets be serious. they have zero talent outside of alualu, knighten, mjd, lewis, maybe mathis. their secondary blows, toline blows, garrard is inconsistent. they are really pisssing me off this year and overacheiving. i am expecting the raiders to handle business.

Zero talent outside MJD who is carrying them to a division title. Laughing

They are better than you are giving credit bor. Garrard has the ability to put up big numbers. MSW and Lewis are good pass catchers. There Oline run blocks well. They play with a lot of confidence. This team is pretty tough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders006 wrote:

That joke of a team is in 1st place in the AFC South. Overachieving or not they're getting it done when they need to. Miami is a much worse team than them IMO.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 1 of 57

Jump to: