Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Rod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: DT Reply with quote

Here's a question.

I know we have huge amount of depth at DT - Rod, Lavalais, Babs, Lake, Shropshire - and therefore it's highly improbable that we draft another. BUT...

It seems to me that our problems stuffing the run cannot be attributed entirely to the loss of Brady. It was the whole right side of the line which was to blame. And with Coleman being more of a pass-rush threat than a run-stopper, we desperately need an ANCHOR to the line, to allow Kerney, Coleman, and our RE, to do their stuff.

None of the guys we have are really up to scratch for that role. Babs was drafted, remember, as understudy to Rod, to give him a rest and eventually replace him. He doesn't have the bulk to play that anchor role. Lake and Shropshire, late rounders, had some success last year rushing the QB, but certainly didn't stop the run.

Lavalais seems set to start in that role. But i'm really not impressed.

What do you guys think? CAN Chad play that anchor role? If not, are we just going to have to like it or lump it? Or, do you think that there are any possibilities in the later rounds?

I'm guessing that there'll be no change, but what do you think?

London branch
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrop can play it and IMO it wouldn't be suprising to see Shrop start even though he is raw and have Chad be the rotationale pass rusher.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
D-Rod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure that i have your confidence in shrop's ability to fill that hole. he was almost the last pick in the draft, and had a solid rookie season considering that... but starting? on a contender (fingers crossed)?

i'd be thrilled if he did prove himself up to the task, but i'm a little dubious right now.

but hey, go shrop!

London branch
MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Shrop can play it and IMO it wouldn't be suprising to see Shrop start even though he is raw and have Chad be the rotationale pass rusher.

what about bab?

What's a fan to do when his team keeps falling apart?
Try and pick the pieces up of his broken heart?
TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrop is 6'2, 300lbs. We need a guy that is like 340-350+ to stuff the run. The Ravens have a FA DT that is 6'5", 350lbs that we could get very cheap to be a situational run stuffer. We could also try to draft Gabe Watson, but it would take a high pick (1st or 2nd rounder), and I think we could do better things with those picks unless we get multiples.

Props to Scar for the sweetest sig on the site!
MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT ABOUT BABINEAUX?

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

Bab is a straight up under tackle like Coleman. nhe is not a NT.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncomparable wrote:
Shrop is 6'2, 300lbs. We need a guy that is like 340-350+ to stuff the run. The Ravens have a FA DT that is 6'5", 350lbs that we could get very cheap to be a situational run stuffer. We could also try to draft Gabe Watson, but it would take a high pick (1st or 2nd rounder), and I think we could do better things with those picks unless we get multiples.

we don't need ag uy liek that to stop the run. we need a guy who is actually a good run stopper at any size. Kendrick Clancy woudl be ideal though even though he is only 305.

MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

sigh. you're right. Too bad we have bab and coleman (and lake). I still say we can play bab at RE, he actually seemed to play better there.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

sigh. you're right. Too bad we have bab and coleman (and lake). I still say we can play bab at RE, he actually seemed to play better there.
actually Babno stunk it up at RE he was getting blocked out of plays way too esasily. but whenhe was at UT he made all fo his impact plays. he is a natural UT and will eb our main UT once Coleman retires. but until then he is great depth at UT and an very good choice for emergency RE.

MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

actually Babno stunk it up at RE he was getting blocked out of plays way too esasily. but whenhe was at UT he made all fo his impact plays. he is a natural UT and will eb our main UT once Coleman retires. but until then he is great depth at UT and an very good choice for emergency RE.

fair enough.
hey scar, a little off topic, but what's the earliest round you think we should draft shock and whats the earliest round you think we WOULD draft shock?

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

fair enough.
hey scar, a little off topic, but what's the earliest round you think we should draft shock and whats the earliest round you think we WOULD draft shock?

earliest we should 6th.
ealrest we would probably 6th or 7th.

MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:
MadAtFalcons wrote:
scar988 wrote:

what about bab?

fair enough.

earliest we should 6th.
ealrest we would probably 6th or 7th.

See I would agree on you with when we would draft him, but I think we should draft him as early as the 5th.

D-Rod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, yes, shockey would make a decent third string back up out of the 6/7th round. but let's hope he wouldn't see much action...

and yes, babs is UT. that is what he was drafted for, that is what he will be as rod ages. it is unfair to expect him to play RE. or NT, for that matter.

but i still maintain that NT is too important to have it filled by a pair of randoms - Chad and Shrop...

London branch
MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Rod wrote:
er, yes, shockey would make a decent third string back up out of the 6/7th round. but let's hope he wouldn't see much action...

and yes, babs is UT. that is what he was drafted for, that is what he will be as rod ages. it is unfair to expect him to play RE. or NT, for that matter.

but i still maintain that NT is too important to have it filled by a pair of randoms - Chad and Shrop...

WHOA. DID YOU JUST SAY SHOCK WOULD MAKE A DESCENT 3RD STRING QB? "LETS HOPE HE WOULDN'T SEE MUCH ACTION?"
THATS HOPEFULLY THE DUMBEST THING YOU HAVE EVER SAID (no offense) SHOCK HAD A FANTASTIC SENIOR SEASON. 24 TDs/4INTS IN THE SEC!? Im sorry man but you dont know what youre talking about. Im pretty mad now, I need to go cool down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: