Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Yet Another Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Mock Draft Reply with quote

No trades in this draft. This is my "If the draft started today" mock.

Extra picks...
4b = Herm Compensation
4c = Jordan Compensation
6b = McKenzie Compensation
7b = Ferguson Compensation

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
If the Jets stay at the 4th overall pick then D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the most worthy player of a Top 5 pick. If the Jets stay here it should be a lock, if they trade down it's either for DeAngelo Williams or Jay Cutler if the Front Office is truly interested in him.

2. Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
The organization has expressed interest in him already and Gilles is the best guard on the board. Guards usually do not go in the 1st round, it is very rare that they do. Jean-Gilles is a beast, but expect late 1st round at the best, and most likely for him to be available at our selection.

3. Mike DeGory, C, Florida
Greg Eslinger and Nick Mangold will both be gone by this selection in my mind, I figured we may as well just choose a running back because this draft there will be a lot of RB's who slide. Instead though, I chose DeGory because of his similarity in size, style, and speed to Kevin Mawae.

4a. Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn State
Phillips had a poor week at Senior Bowl practice and a mediocre game. Phillips lost his 3rd round consideration with his performance, and I think this is a steal for us as Phillips can play dime and may even pan out to be a starter if David Barrett blows up.

4b. Manase Hopoi, DT/DE, Washington
Actually an undersized DT, Hopoi will play DE for us because he is 6'4'' and about 290 pounds, ideal size for a 3-4 DE.

4c. Oliver Hoyte, ILB, North Carolina State
Hoyte is very similar in size to excellent 3-4 ILB Kai Parham and the fact is that we'll need more depth at this position come April.

5. LeKevin Smith, NT, Nebraska
As it turns out, Oshinowo weighed in at the Senior Bowl 20 pounds lighter than ideal size for a 3-4 NT so we go with Smith who is a little bigger than Oshinowo according to my sources.

6a. T.J. Williams, TE, North Carolina State
Williams had a decent week of Senior Bowl practice, but the TE class is really deep this season so he'll have trouble cracking Round 5. Assuming Chris Baker and Doug Jolley leave (Baker is a Free Agent and Jolley is not well liked) we'll have some need at TE. Hopefully Baker can be re-signed.

6b. Troy Reddick, OT, Auburn
He's huge and he's not well publicized. He can be an insurance plan for Adrian Jones because I doubt at his size he's athletic enough to play LT.

7a. Matt Trannon, WR, Michigan State
At 6'6'' 225 pounds I'm a big fan of Matt Trannon. He could be a great redzone target and if he gains a little weight could even be a speedy TE.

7b. Brett Basanez, QB, Northwestern
All right I give up. I don't want a QB or an HB drafted because of the way the draft has gone earlier and the way I project the off-season. So with this pick I just take the best QB available and see if he can make the roster. It's not a waste of a 7th round pick if he beats out whatever veteran we go after. And who expects a 7th rounder to be any more than a back-up anyway?

Depth Chart 2006

QB: Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger, Todd Collins, Brett Basanez (I won't count anything out until he's not on the roster if this happened).
HB: Curtis Martin, Cedric Houston, Derrick Blaylock - Personally I'd move Houston up on the depth chart ahead of Blaylock. These guys will share time.
FB: B.J. Askew
WR: Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins, Jerrico Cotchery, Matt Trannon, Harry Williams Jr.
TE: T.J. Williams, Joel Dreesen, James Dearth (I really hope Baker re-signs).
LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jason Fabini, Steve Morely
LG: Pete Kendall, Max Jean-Gilles
C: Kevin Mawae, Mike DeGory - Assuming Mawae has or will re-sign
RG: Brandon Moore, Jonathan Goodwin
RT: Adrian Jones, Troy Reddick

LE: Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Manase Hopoi
NT: LeKevin Smith, Sione Pouha, Dewayne Robertson
RE: Dewayne Robertson, Bryan Thomas, Trevor Johnson
LOLB: Victor Hobson, Eric Barton, Barry Gardener
ILB: Jonathan Vilma, Eric Barton, Oliver Hoyte
ROLB: John Abraham, Mark Brown, Eric Barton
CB: David Barrett, Justin Miller, Derrick Strait, Anwar Phillips
FS: Erik Coleman, Rashad Washington, Andre Maddox
SS: Kerry Rhodes, Oliver Celestin

K: Mike Nugent
P: Ben Graham
KR: Justin Miller
PR: Jerrico Cotchery
LS: James Dearth
KOS: Mike Nugent

NOTES:

- I believe Fabini will still be on this team next season because he has 1 more year left on his contract, but I believe Ferguson would beat him out for the starting job.
- Pete Kendall will still be on this team I think and he will keep the starting job for the time being over Jean-Gilles.
- Mawae if he is still with the team (I'm not sure if he already re-worked his deal or not) will start over DeGory. Otherwise I think DeGory gets the start, but if Mawae isn't with the team I don't think it matters if we draft a center similar to Mawae because he won't learn under Mawae or be in the same system.
- A healthy Curtis Martin with a healthy Derrick Blaylock and a better used Cedric Houston will be much more effective then people think behind a much better, healthier offensive line.
- I believe the Jets sign Todd Collins for the veteran minimum because Collins is not a widely sought after QB on the free agent market, but he has experience and we CAN pay him the veteran minimum. Besides, he's easy to cut if Basanez beats him out.
- For now I'll have us not re-signing Chris Baker because I don't see how we could do it even though his contract won't be that expensive because he's not a completely proven player yet. He had a great start to the season but got injured.
- Obviously I think John Abraham gets traded but I'm not projecting any trades right now.
- EDIT: It is likely that Bryan Thomas is cut if we go 3-4 as he can't play DE in that system. I don't know if he could adapt to OLB but for now I'll keep him on the roster but I think he may get cut if we switch to the 3-4 regardless of if we keep Abe.

Feel free to constructively criticize.

Last edited by Spiel612 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonyankee1nyj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitly mor of a typical realistic mock then many of the other ones i've seen, good hidden talents in phillips and reddick i've seen both of them play on tv and they can definitly translate well in the nfl wit time.\

Just to note we don't get compensation for ferguson cause he was only a FA, but we do get a 7th for becht so it really doesn't matter.
jvilma51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft and hope ours can actually look something like this.

Props to jgoldiscool
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u forgot bryan thomas on the depth chart. other than that great draft, very realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take Steve Fifta from utah with one of our 4th rounders. He is a perfect nose takle. I have read a lot about how good he will be at NT in the NFL.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhb713fb wrote:
I would take Steve Fifta from utah with one of our 4th rounders. He is a perfect nose takle. I have read a lot about how good he will be at NT in the NFL.

I believe that Fifita will be gone by Round 3 considering that there aren't that many pure NT's and Cleveland desperately needs one.
JETS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first i didnt really like it but as i thoght about it, it is good. i think we could do better with trades and all but i think this is about the type of draft Bradway will have.
OL definatly is the priroity though
NikeFootball05

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, when I told you that you should make one, I didn't expect you to make one so quick. Like they way ypu think.

I think DeGory could fall to the 4th or 5th rounds. He had a bad Senior Bowl week. We could consider Ryan Cook from New Mexico, but he and Mawae are too totally different centers.

Like the Anwar Phillips pick.

Like the T.J. Williams pick.

I don't know about Troy Reddick in the 6th. He's better than Adam Stenavich and Rashad Butler, so he may be picked earlier.

What should we do with the QB and RB situations next year? Should we move up?

Ok I'm sorry, do you WANT to lose? I throw, you catch, it's not that hard, ok? All right now get the f@$% outta here.

-Peyton Manning United Way SNL Skit
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great mock spiel, i almost always like your ideas. MOst realistic mock i have seen thus far, even more then my own. I do also think abraham get traded but who knows where. Great adjustments on the offensive line. I think Baker is a restricted FA, but im not positive, if he is thats really good news. Ill be honest though, i dont see that Jets team doing much next season. The offense will still be in the lower portion of the leauge and the defense will be prolly top 15, nothing to write home about but they will keep the team in games. With that roster i see the jets going about 7-9 only cause i think CHad wont be able to do much and im not sure of the running game. Good mock though, the line will be signifigantly better.
watup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if jerome harrison is available in the 4th we could think about him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: