Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

should MINN sign CB Al Harris...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: should MINN sign CB Al Harris...? Reply with quote

Harris will go on waivers this afternoon and any team that would claim him would take on his $2.5 million base salary, according to the Journal Sentinel. (The team with the worst record that claimed Harris would get him.) If he isn't claimed, the 35-year-old Harris will be a free agent.

The question is would Harris be an upgrade on either Sheppard or Walker?

Harris sounds confident that he still has something left. Evidently, the Packers did not agree.

Harris: "I guess they feel I'm not good enough to play on their team. That was shocking. They really caught me off guard with this one."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/106897228.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_vckD8EQD_1cuU

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I'd guess he has more left than Walker ever had, but I can't say that medically for sure.

I'd love to try him out at safety, frankly.....
Purp1eAndG01d

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would just about have to be an upgrade over Sheppard. Who isn't? And as PCP said he could more than likely be an upgrade at safety.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Harris is so good in press coverage, he would be good to put on the other teams top WR, so he could jam them off the LOS. He could play well in the slot also. It would all depend on how well he has healed form his surgery, I guess. Of course, if he is all healed up then some team with a worse record than ours will probably claim him. Working in our favor is that many teams shy away from seasoned vets.
ProudHorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Harris' knee injury was devastating and if the Packers are releasing him after all this time, then I can't help but think that he's done.

Besides our secondary has been playing very well this year.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about his health, but he cant be worse than Shepperd and Frank Walker. Or is he?

If Harris was healthy, why would the Packers release him. I know they are happy with their top 3 CBs, but why not hang onto him as the 4th CB, and in case of injuries, which seems to be the Packers curse this season.

I would probably say no to Harris, the Packers obviously didnt want him around due to injury concerns.
since72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's going to claim him off of waivers and pay him $2 million for the rest of this season. He's 36 years old coming off of 3 torn ligaments. His play was declining for the past few years before his injury.

No thanks.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think he was really that good when he was 100% healthy...why would he be any better now?

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If healthy, absolutely.

I stand by my opinion that Al Harris has been vastly overrated for quite some time now, but he's still capable and can be a starter in the short term. Grabbing another former Packer (especially a good one) is always a nice [inappropriate/removed] off, too.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I worry about his health, but he cant be worse than Shepperd and Frank Walker. Or is he?

If Harris was healthy, why would the Packers release him. I know they are happy with their top 3 CBs, but why not hang onto him as the 4th CB, and in case of injuries, which seems to be the Packers curse this season.

I would probably say no to Harris, the Packers obviously didnt want him around due to injury concerns.
special teams play most likely.

Sounds like childress is going to watch tape of him to see, but not sure if there's an open spot.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we should give him a shot. Anything is better than Frank Walker and Lito Sheppard has disappointed me. He is very good in press coverage but id like to see if he can play safety.

His contract is a little big to claim on waivers, but that might be the easiest way to claim him. Because of our poor record most of the teams in front of us on the wire are looking to youth and harris has been playing for like 13 years I think?
perrynoid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Harris hurt AD a while back, and AD seems to have resented that hit, I wonder how much AD's attitude towards Harris will factor into the decision either to acquire Harris or not?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I didn't think he was really that good when he was 100% healthy...why would he be any better now?

my thoughts exactly
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Childress said he will look at tape of Al Harris but isn't sure there would be a spot for him.

http://twitter.com/juddzulgad

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Childress said he will look at tape of Al Harris but isn't sure there would be a spot for him.

http://twitter.com/juddzulgad

I don't want to get fed to the dogs for saying it, but it's the smart thing to do. Glad Childress isn't going to let a guy slip by without doing his due-diligence.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: