Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MOCK your socks off (now with even more Andrew Luck)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: MOCK your socks off (now with even more Andrew Luck) Reply with quote

After a disappointing season the Vikings finish 6-10. Zygi Wilf responds by appointing Kellerman to the position of GM. His first act as General Manager is to fire Brad Childress, Darrell Bevell and Leslie Frazier. Most of their assistants leave with them, but some like LB coach Pagac and DL coach Dunbar retain their positions, namely this lot:

His second act is to retain Rob Brzezinski and Rick Spielman in their current roles, allowing them to focus on building for the future. The positions in the coaching staff are filled after a few weeks of tough negotiating. These are the new coaches:

HC Jim Harbaugh

-Stanford's Head Coach (2421)
-Former NFL QB
-Former Raiders QB coach
-Brother of John Harbaugh
-Blitz 34's favourite person

OC Mike Mularkey

-Falcons' Offensive Coordinator
-Former NFL TE
-Former Bills HC
-Former Steelers OC

DC Chuck Cecil

-Titans' Defensive Coordinator
-Former NFL DB
-Former Titans S coach
-Former Titans DB coach

This three-headed monster will lead the overhaul of the team. Harbaugh is a motivator, and has proven he can make his team better. He has a good attitude, and is more of a people person than Childress. Mularkey has coached up a productive running game in Atlanta, and also has experience with coaching a young QB in Matt Ryan. He comes in to keep Peterson pounding away and to help the new Franchise QB. Chuck Cecil is a former Packer, and was known for his hard hitting defense. He has risen through the ranks in the Titans organization, and has coached up a decent defense in Tennessee. In Minnesota he benefits from the support staff in place (Pagac, Dunbar), and turns the Vikings D into a more aggressive unit. The team also brings in OL coach Dave Magazu who leaves Carolina together with John Fox. He is the guy who build the O-line that produced two 1000+ yard rushers in one season.

Re-signing FA/RFA

QB: Tarvaris Jackson (released)
With a new head coach and a high draft pick Jackson knows that his days in Minnesota are numbered. The team want to keep him as an insurance policy, but Jackson sees this as his last opportunity to start somewhere, and refuses to sign.

FB: Ryan D'Imperio (re-signed, 2y/$800k)
Replaces Tahi as the #1 FB on the depth chart as part of the youth movement.

WR: Sidney Rice (re-signed, 4y/$30m)
The team would have liked to franchise Rice and hold off a long term deal, but they need the tag to get some value out of DE Edwards. They settle on a shorter, cheaper version of the Austin deal, with more incentives based on how many games he playes.

WR: Bernard Berrian (traded for 5th)
Berrian seems done in Minnesota, and the coaches want to bring in players that go up not down. Berrian is shopped for a 6th rounder, and the Bills bite in the hope that he will bounce back.

DE: Brian Robison (re-signed, 2y/$3m)
The shot putter gets a nice deal as the Vikings don't want to let two DE's go in one year.

DE: Edwards (franchised, traded for 2nd)
When a player says he wants out, you don't force him to stay. Edwards is tagged and traded for a 2nd round pick to the Buccaneers, who continue to build their D-line.

LB: Chad Greenway (re-signed, 6y/$40m)
You can't let your best LB walk, so the Vikings pay Greenway to keep him in Minnesota.

Ryan Longwell and Ben Leber sign contracts that will see them retire in Minnesota.

Husain Abdullah, Lito Sheppard, Ryan Cook, Greg Lewis and Fred Evans re-sign on small, 1 to 2 year deals.

All remaining players are not re-signed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recap wrote:
Retired: Brett Favre (QB), Pat Williams (DT), Antoine Winfield (CB)
Released: Jackson (QB), Young (RB), Tahi (FB), Johnson (WR), Cooper (C), Walker (CB), Frampton (FS)
Resigned: Ryan D'Imperio (FB), Sidney Rice (WR), Greg Lewis (WR), Ryan Cook (RT), Brian Robison (DE), Fred Evans (DT), Chad Greenway (LB), Ben Leber (LB), Erin Henderson (LB), Lito Sheppard (CB), Husain Abdullah (FS), Ryan Longwell (K)
Traded: Bernard Berrian(5th), Ray Edwards (2nd)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIKINGS DEPTH CHART BEFORE FREE AGENCY AND DRAFT

Red: Bad starter and depth
Orange: Bad starter or depth
Green: Good starter and depth

QB: -
RB: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart
FB: Ryan D'Imperio
WR: Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Greg Camarillo, Joe Webb, Greg Lewis
TE: Visanthe Shiancoe. Jim Kleinsasser, Jeff Dugan
LT: Bryant McKinnie
LG: Steve Hutchinson
C: John Sullivan,
RG: Anthony Herrera, Chris DeGeare
RT: Phil Loadholt, Ryan Cook

RDE: Jared Allen, Everson Griffen
UT: Kevin Williams, Letroy Guion
NT: Jimmy Kennedy Fred Evans
LDE: Brian Robison
ROLB: Erin Henderson, Ben Leber
MLB: E.J. Henderson, Jasper Brinkley
LOLB: Chad Greenway, Heath Farwell, Kenny Onatolu
CB: Cedric Griffin, Chris Cook, Asher Allen, Lito Sheppard
FS: Madieu Williams,
SS: Husain Abdullah, Tyrell Johnson, Jamarca Sanford

K: Ryan Longwell
P: Chris Kluwe
LS: Cullen Loeffler

Free Agency

Wilf opens his purse as the Vikings aren't restricted in their FA spending, and the retirement of Winfield, Favre and Pat saves a big pile of cash.

Quote:
Carl Nicks OG
6 ft 5, 343 lbs, Saints

The Vikings sign Nicks to a 6 year deal because the Saints can't bear to pay 2 guards top money. With Kalil staying in Carolina, Nick is the best interior lineman available, and will help protect the new QB and open holes for Adrian Peterson.

Quote:
Tanard Jackson FS
6 ft 0, 200 lbs, Bucs

With Bethea re-signing for the Colts, the Vikings roll the dice on Tanard Jackson. He was playing well before his suspension, but Tampa doesn't re-sign him. He's a bargain because of his suspension, and Harbaugh hopes he and the Vikings locker room can help him turn his fortunes around.

Quote:
Matt Hasselbeck QB
6 ft 4, 225 lbs, Seahawks

A 2 year deal for Matt as a back-up. He can teach a new QB, and possibly start if the rookie isn't ready.

Quote:
Mathias Kiwanuka DE/OLB
6 ft 5, 265 lbs, Giants

The DE gets a 4 year deal that pays him nicely. Again, this is a bargain because of his season-ending injury, but the Vikings like flexible linemen so they take a chance on him. His measurables are almost the same as Allen's, and he'll start on defense right away.

The Draft

the Vikings pick #6 overall

*** Trade ***

The Vikings trade DE Brian Robison, the #6 overall pick, the Bucs 2nd round pick (Edwards) and their 2012 1st for the Bills #1 pick.

Picks:
1st round (Bills)
2nd round (Vikings)
4th round (Vikings)
5th round (Bills) Berrian trade
5th round (Vikings)
5th round (Compensatory) Matt Birk
6th round (Vikings)
7th round (Vikings)

Quote:
Round 1(1) Pick: Andrew Luck, QB
6 ft 4, 235 lbs, Stanford

The Vikings think they have the next Peyton Manning in Andrew Luck, and go all in to pip the Panthers. The Bills feel they have too many holes to invest in a QB that high, so they slide down to #6 to pick a D-lineman or a corner, while picking up a rush OLB and some nice picks to build their team.

Quote:
Round 2(38) Pick: Stefen Wisniewski, OC/OG
6 ft 3, 305 lbs, PSU

With tackles and flexible guards going left and right, and Rodney Hudson gone, the Vikings select this technician as their future centre. He's a smart kid with good bloodlines and decent athleticism. He can play any scheme, and will provide leadership at the center position for years to come.

Quote:
Round 4(100) Pick: Lee Ziemba, OT
6 ft 8, 319 lbs, Auburn

Harbaugh continues to build around his QB, adding a huge tackle with nice potential. He has to work on his technique but if he can keep improving he could mount an assault on McKinnie's spot in one or two years. This pick concludes the youth movement for the O-line.

Quote:
Round 5(129) Pick: Korey Lindsey, CB
5 ft 11, 185 lbs, Southern Illinois

Lindsey is listed as one of FF's 2011 sleepers. The young DB doesn't have elite tools, and will run around 4.5 max. Despite this, he is a great football player. He has good ball skills, hips and quickness. While he might not have elite long speed, his instincts and football smarts will allow him to become a good corner. He's doesn't shy away from tackles either, which makes him a very complete player.

Quote:
Round 5(132) Pick: K.J. Wright, OLB/ILB
6 ft 4, 250 lbs, Mississippi State

This big flexible LB adds some speed (>4.6), youth and health to the position. Besides his big body, he also has a big heart and he is the lynchpin of his team. In time he can be a leader on this team from the LB position, and if he works on his cover skills he could be a potential starter. For now he might be able to play himself onto special teams

Quote:
Round 5(161) Pick: Davonte Shannon, SS/FS
6 ft 0 210 lbs, Buffalo

A potential sleeper is always a nice pick. The Three-time First Team all-MAC can play at FS and SS, and is a solid tackler. His lack of elite measurables drops him in the draft, but he is a solid football player, and a nice all-round safety. He adds youth and potential to the secondary

Quote:
Round 6(164) Pick: Schuylar Oordt, TE
6 ft 6, 245 lbs, Northern Iowa

The Vikings go BPA and add a potential red-zone weapon, the athletic WR conversion from Iowa. He's raw as hell, but he has WR speed on a TE frame, making him an interesting prospect. It's unlikely he'll ever be a #1 TE, but Luck might be able to turn him into a nice weapon, who can run deep routes, dominate jump balls, and line-up at WR.

Quote:
Round 7(196) Pick: Allen Bradford, HB
6 ft 0, 230 lbs, USC

Another BPA pick, Bradford was a high school 5 star safety recruit who was moved to RB. He projects to be a big back that can run inside and outside. He fills the need for a #3 RB, and has the talent to perhaps spell AP at times, with Gerhart lining up as 3DRB and FB more often.

FINAL VIKINGS DEPTH CHART

Cut: Jamarca Sanford, Kenny Onatolu, Jeff Dugan, Ryan Cook (roster spots)
UDFA: Wujciak (injury concerns)
FA: Jacques Cesaire (Chargers DE, 1y depth)

Red: Bad starter and depth
Orange: Bad starter or depth
Green: Good starter and depth

QB: Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck
RB: Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Allen Bradford
FB: Ryan D'Imperio
WR: Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Greg Camarillo, Joe Webb, Greg Lewis
TE: Visanthe Shiancoe. Jim Kleinsasser, Schuyler Oordt
LT: Bryant McKinnie, Lee Ziemba
LG: Carl Nicks, Steve Hutchinson
C: Stefen Wisniewski, John Sullivan
RG: Anthony Herrera, Chris DeGeare
RT: Phil Loadholt

RDE: Jared Allen, Jacques Cesaire
UT: Kevin Williams, Letroy Guion
NT: Jimmy Kennedy Fred Evans
LDE: Mathias Kiwanuka, Everson Griffen
ROLB: Erin Henderson, Ben Leber, K.J. Wright
MLB: E.J. Henderson, Jasper Brinkley, Alex Wujciak
LOLB: Chad Greenway, Heath Farwell
CB: Cedric Griffin, Chris Cook, Asher Allen, Lito Sheppard, Korey Lindsey
FS: Tanard Jackson, Madieu Williams,
SS: Husain Abdullah, Tyrell Johnson, Davonte Shannon

KR: Percy Harvin
PR: Joe Webb
K: Ryan Longwell
P: Chris Kluwe
LS: Cullen Loeffler

Conclusion

In FA, the Vikings choose to spend some cash to shore up 3 major holes for the mid-term, allowing them to fill other holes through the draft.

The lynch-pin of the draft is Andrew Luck. The Vikings wisely keep their 2nd round invest in the O-line, and with Ziemba in the 4th you get a tackle to groom behind McKinnie. In a deep draft the Vikings make the most of their 5th round picks, getting some excellent prospects that lack elite measurables, but play the game smart and hard. To top it off they seek BPA in the 6th and the 7th.

So there you go, realism mixed with a "little"wishful thinking.

Last edited by Kellerman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 15 times in total
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W00t, first ever mock!. Cool Cool

I haven't gotten 'round to doing Free Agency and the Draft yet, but I thought I'd post what I had already and update it later. I hope to have the FA and draft moves up early next week.

As for the mock, I tried to make it as serious as I could. I think Jackson walking and the Rice contract all attribute to that. Hope you like it (thusfar)!

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
ProudHorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem you have is getting Mularky and Cecil. Both are already coordinators for other teams, so unless their contracts expire or they are fired, neither one can be hired here with the same title. A coach can't make a lateral move

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
ProudHorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also that contract for Rice is rediculous. $15 million a year for a guy who's played one healthy season? no way.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
kparty69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks decent so far, but I would like to see Joe Webb on the roster as a WR and could we please keep Jaymar Johnson over Greg Lewis. Also wasn't Eric Bieniemy a really good RB coach for us... Any chance he stays as well?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
One problem you have is getting Mularky and Cecil. Both are already coordinators for other teams, so unless their contracts expire or they are fired, neither one can be hired here with the same title. A coach can't make a lateral move

I didn't actually know that rule existed. What if one of them also becomes assistant head coach? Would that circumvent the rule?

As for the Rice contract, I could knock off a few million but I feel the ball-park figure is correct. Rice is gonna want something in between Marshall and Austin ($12m/y to $16m/y). The deal is meant to be a shorter, more incentive based version of the Austin deal.

Edit: I took $5m off Rice's deal, he's now a little closer to Marshall than Austin.

Last edited by Kellerman on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
Looks decent so far, but I would like to see Joe Webb on the roster as a WR and could we please keep Jaymar Johnson over Greg Lewis. Also wasn't Eric Bieniemy a really good RB coach for us... Any chance he stays as well?

I forgot about Webb, I put him on the roster as a WR. I chose Greg Lewis over Jaymar Johnson because he has proven he can play in the NFL. Johnson didn't play this season so he gets the axe.

I didn't really want to go too in-depth with all the individual coaches because I don't know them well enough to decide whether they should stay or go. You can pick and choose for yourselves which one stays, all I wanted to do is mention our new O-line coach.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:

I believe that is only partly true ProudHorn. No coach can make a lateral movement if currently under contract but if the Vikings made then coordinators and assistant head coaches couldn't it possibly be pulled off then.

EDIT: Also the deal for Rice is still WAY too high... he will mostly likely get a deal similar to that of Miles Austin or DeSean Jackson.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
ProudHorn wrote:

I believe that is only partly true ProudHorn. No coach can make a lateral movement if currently under contract but if the Vikings made then coordinators and assistant head coaches couldn't it possibly be pulled off then.

I checked, and neither of them is listed as an assistant, just as a coordinator. So then it's still possible?

Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Webb has to be kept on the roster as a QB even if he would be better suited as a WR. He'd be the only returning player at the QB position. It would be pretty silly to go into even free agency without naming even one quarterback on the roster, IMO.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
Joe Webb has to be kept on the roster as a QB even if he would be better suited as a WR. He'd be the only returning player at the QB position. It would be pretty silly to go into even free agency without naming even one quarterback on the roster, IMO.

Why does it make a difference? The offensive system will be changing anyway.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:

What do you mean, because it would be better for our bargaining position when negotiating with FA QB's?

Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot a new system was being installed. If that's the case then yes, you're right it would actually be better to put Webb at WR. Embarassed
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Bombay wrote:
Completely forgot a new system was being installed. If that's the case then yes, you're right it would actually be better to put Webb at WR. Embarassed

Yeah, Mularkey will be putting in a new system. He plays smashmouth football, with safe and efficient passes. He tailors the offense to fit his players, Webb's athleticism is better used at WR than QB, so he is moved there full-time.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way you pay Rice that much money. He's had 1 good, healthy year. No chance.

Why would Mularkey leave Atlanta? I'd love it, but I don't know why he'd leave.

Love the new HC, but, alas, Chilly is here for at least one more year, I believe.

Not a fan of letting Jackson leave, but here's the deal. IF you are going to start over, why keep anyone over 30 on the roster? Really blow it up if you are going to really start over (which, frankly, I don't think you need to do).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: