Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE! Steelers @ Bengals Game Day Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE! Steelers @ Bengals Game Day Thread Reply with quote

VS

When: Monday, November 8th @ 8:30 EST on
Where: Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
Weather Forecast: Mostly clear, mid 50’s

Injury Report
Coming Soon

Last Meeting
To sum up our meetings last year…

Bengals swept us last year, beating us in two close games. Lost by a combined 9 points. Troy being out played a HUGE factor in both.

Breakdown and Summary

The 5-2 Steelers end their three game road trip in Ohio against the struggling 2-5 Bengals. Ben’s success in Oho came to a screeching halt last year, but he will look to bounce back against possibly the worst team in the AFC North (yes, worse than the Browns). I do think the Bengals are worse than the Browns this year. People called me crazy when I said last year was a fluke. I actually thought it would be the other way around. I thought last year they would suck and this year be good. This team simply doesn’t have the leadership in the front office to maintain success. No offense to Bengals fans who read this, but I think you know its true.

STILL, that’s not to say the Bengals cannot or will not win this game. The Steelers are the better team…I am 100% certain of that. But if they don’t get rid of the stupid mistakes, they wont win this game. IMO, we could just as easily be 3-4 right now as we could be 7-0. I feel this team is overrated at this point. I don’t see a top 5 team and haven’t seen one since week 3. Even with Ben back, this team overall hasn’t looked as good as they did in the first three weeks of the season. The team effort those weeks were a thing of beauty, even if they were ugly wins. The last few weeks, I see more of the 2009 Steelers than the 2008 Steelers, and the 2009 Steelers are a very average team.

Who needs to step up most this week?

In other words, coaching...as a whole. I would include Arians, but there is a better chance of me banging…

What? IT COULD HAPPEN!!!

…than Arians learning from past mistakes. Tomlin did not coach a good game this past week. In fact, he sucked. Forget letting Jeff “Im a top 5 kicker…no really…I am” Reed kick a 50+ yarder he never makes, or going for it on 4th down on the 40, giving the Saints two easy drives. No, I am more angry about how undisciplined we looked all game and how he didn’t step in when it was clear Brucey Woocey was in over his head (which became clear after one quarter.)

LeBeau…Steeler fans make excuses for him so much. He has been a fairly mediocre coach outside of 2 games this year. And you can preach to me about points allowed and blah blah blah..but it wont change my mind. The problem last year was his defense became to vanilla and he wasn’t dialing up the innovation and pressure like he did all 2008. It was understandable because Troy was out, but what about now? What is the reasoning? Seriously, if anyone knows, tell me, because he seems to think its still preseason at times. His bend but don’t break defense is bending to far, and eventually, will break, much like it did this past week. I want the old LeBeau back…the one that isn’t afraid to blitz the hell out of teams. That’s a very good way of putting it…he seems afraid this year, and that’s not a good thing.

On Offense…
The Steelers need to start opening up holes in the run game. After an impressive start to the season, Chris Kemoeatu is reverting back to the fat, forgetful mediocre player we all remember him as. Trai Essucks returned to RG last week. Essex reminds me a of a huge dump…you fight to get it out but it wont flush. Someone get the plunger. If he is still RG next year, someone needs to be beat with a 2x4. Unfortunately, Flozell, who started off well too, is showing he doesn’t have much time left. He is slow as hell and his body is deteriorating. I admit to being wrong about him, but I don’t see him lasting another season. Pouncey is a good start to this line, but it still needs a TON of work.

Anyway, what I was getting at was the running game has been stifled the last few weeks. Mendenhall hasn’t looked as determined, but I also think that has something to do with the extreme lack of holes he has had to work with. The Bengals defense is not nearly as good as it was a year ago. Not bad, but not nearly as sturdy as last year. Bengals are giving up 120+ yards a game rushing. This is a copy cat league though and the Bengals have good corners. If they take a page out of the Saints book, a lack of a running game could mean another long week, and not just for Ben.

Speaking of Ben, he needs to tell Arians to shut up and be the leader he was paid to be. He knew Arians BS gameplan wasn’t working, and the one drive he did seem to take command of the offense, we scored…quickly. After that, they all seemed to lose the urgency and PLOP…back down the tubes. If Ben finds himself in that situation again, I really hope he does whats best for this team and tells Bruce to take a seat. We aren’t paying him 100 mil to be a lap dog.
Bottom line, the running game has to improve this week. Its as simple as that. That will open up everything else.

On Defense…
Im not going to go into great detail here, because its pretty clear what needs to happen, and IMO, has been clear for weeks. We need the old LeBeau back. As I talked about before, he needs to take the handcuffs off this defense. If this defense played the way it did the first two weeks without Ben, WITH Ben, this team could go places. Unfortunately, LeBeau’s vanilla gameplan the last 3 weeks made two young QBs (that we usually confuse the hell out of) look like solid vets, and allowed Drew Brees to break the Madden curse (at least for a half).

Honestly , the players aren’t even playing all that bad. Ziggy Hood started to show what he could do this past week and the DLine was solid, and the pressure was there, just not getting to Brees. The only player on this defense I am having a major issue with right now is Ryan Clark. He has been the worst player on the defense this year…by a rather wide margin. I love him as a person, but I am all for FS in the first 2 rounds next year, if one is available. 2008, he was good with Troy. That’s no longer the case.

Bottom line, LeBeau needs to think Power Rangers. He is Zordon, and needs to morph his team into the crazy, blitz happy SOBs they were in 2008. Maybe he has reason for doing what he is doing, but if a majority of the last two seasons are any indication, it isn’t working that well.

5 Things the Steelers Need
1. Running game to open up play action and slow down the pass rush.
2. Interior lineman not named Pouncey to act like they belong in this league.
3. - LeBeau to rewind back to 2008.
4. Refs to actually call holding at least once in awhile
5. Someone to snap Bruce Arians neck.

Bungal to watch out for..

Terrell Owens, WR
Why: DO NOT SLEEP ON HIM! Ocho Stinko doesn’t scare me at all anymore, but TO is still playing at a high level. If the pass rush doesn’t get in Palmer’s face, TO will have a big day, and if he doesn’t, Ocho might.

43M’s Final Prediction
Steelers 23
Bengals 19

This is a game we should win handily, but I just don’t see it. The Bengals aren’t terrible, but when both teams are at the top of their game, the Steelers are by far better. If we lose this game, it could be the signs of another slide, much like last year, and if Tomlin allows that to happen again, I will start second guessing his ability to lead this team. Not a chicken little thing…just saying he cant let it happen again, but I wont be shocked.

Lets hope for the best. Have a great week.

43M Twisted Evil
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up 43.

I especially love all the pictures haha.... you did good man!

Im excited for this game-- gotta start payback for last year and last week.
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Saints had their bounceback game last week and this is ours. But the Bengals always play us tough. Even when they were the laughing stock of the league we very rarely blew them out.

The only offensive player who worries me even a little bit is Cedric Benson. He can break tackles and with Smith out, the run defense is a bit more of a concern. I think we'll be fine, but if Benson breaks some tackles, and gets some early yardage, it'll really open up their passing game.

Offensively, we just need to play more disciplined. I know BA is a skidmark, but we are 5-2. So it kinda boils down to execution. Last week we didn't execute and we lost. We need to run block better, we need to hold onto the football, we just need to play fundamental football. That goalline stand last week was ridiculous. I know we should've got a QB sneak on 3-goal or maybe a play action on 2-goal, but if we would've executed some run blocking, it wouldn't have reached 2nd down. If we do those little things a little better, we have nothing to worry about.

I think Tomlin pounds fundamental football in their heads this week, and the Steelers win this one:

Steelers 27
Bengals 16

Go Noles!
whit09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO who?

I'm afraid of Jordan Shipley, who has easily been the most productive rookie WR this year. He is dangerous on 3rd down.

...Thanks to UofMfan909
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Scarlett Johansson I see?! Nice! Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

Now let's hope my fiancee doesn't see this.... Anxious

Epic videos are Epic.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

What's that you were saying, Playboy?

On this day, we FIGHT.....
RandomHero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that thought T.O was done last year were silly. He's still one of the most dangerous WR's in the NFL.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whit09 wrote:
TO who?

I'm afraid of Jordan Shipley, who has easily been the most productive rookie WR this year. He is dangerous on 3rd down.

There is this guy named Mike Williams in Tampa Bay who really disagrees with you.

And who do you think pulls coverage away from Shipley to allow him to be productive?

Shipley could hurt us the same way Chris Henry used to, but TO is still much much MUCH better and more dangerous.
greene91fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup 43!

Honestly this game scars me more than the N.O. game. I kinda thought there were some folks giving us waaaaay too much credit, but I kept those comments to myself for fear of sounding like some doom-and-gloomers around here. I also thought it was just paranoia...

Anyways, we're going into an opposing teams house, again with them coming off of a loss. Grant you N.O.'s was a little more embarrasing. I saw bits of the Miami-Cincy game and the Bengals run D looked fairly stout from what I saw-only the first quarter or so. If Arians and the offensive line don't establish dominance in the running game from the get go I think this is going to be a close game.

Thanks Lysar529 for the sig!

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are absolutely right about the Bengals front office. It continues hold us back year after year. Our only hope is that Mike Brown dies or sells the team to someone who can actually run a team. Anyways Im going to try to stay positive even though our season is down the toilet.

Matchups Im looking forward to watching:

Palmer vs. Polamalu- The former teammates at USC go head to head, it always seems Troy picks off Palmer when he is healthy enough to play. Palmer has been throwing inconsistently all year. Going against one of the top defenses makes me nervous, but Palmer knows this D pretty well so that gives me some hope.

Benson vs. Pitts. LBs
If we get down by 2 TDs we wont be running the ball, but If we can control the clock like we did last year it might be a long day for you guys. Benson has actually carried the ball well when given the opportunity to do so. Pittsburgh has the best linebackers in the NFL so this will be a true test.

Bengals D-line vs. Pittsburghs O-line-
The Bengals have gotten literally 0 pressure this year. While I dont expect anything to change, I would like to see if they step up due to this being a "big" rival game. We usually get our hands on Big Ben but he usually just stands there and throws a strike or drags our guys a few feet before throwing it away.

anywho my prediction is
PIT- 27
CIN- 17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting for massive blitzes from the Bengals since Arians can gameplan or adjust to them and Tomlin refuses to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if we are upset.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
Bengals D-line vs. Pittsburghs O-line-
The Bengals have gotten literally 0 pressure this year. While I dont expect anything to change, I would like to see if they step up due to this being a "big" rival game. We usually get our hands on Big Ben but he usually just stands there and throws a strike or drags our guys a few feet before throwing it away.

And since you just posted that, the Bengals will get tremendous pressure and destroy the Steelers O-line.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers by 10.

Sorry, that's my homer prediction.

Reality, Steelers by 30.

Bengals are bad. Very bad. In two weeks they play the Bills. I will probably predict a win...

...for the Bills.

I think the main factor this week for the Bengals will be Palmer. He's looked terrible all season. With the Steelers defense flying around the field, i will be shocked if he has 2 or less interceptions. 3 sounds about right. I swear he closes his eyes and just throws it at times.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i just realized this was on MNF. Should be a great way to leave the Bengals fans completely embarrassed.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
whit09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Shipley could hurt us the same way Chris Henry used to, but TO is still much much MUCH better and more dangerous.

This is exactly what I mean. Henry was always the most dangerous reciever Cincy had aganist the Steelers, seeing as usually Taylor can shut down Ocho, and I don't think TO can best McFadden decisively, even though Owens is putting a good year together.

...Thanks to UofMfan909
GridironWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until our coaching staff (Tomlin, Arians)shows the ability to make in game adjustments and plan better, I got the Bengals beating us by 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: