Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

50 greatest Steelers of all time???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: 50 greatest Steelers of all time??? Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/498070-top-50-greatest-pittsburgh-steelers-of-all-time?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

I'm sure there were posts like this before but I Found this and it seemed interesting.

Any thoughts???
Agree or disagree???

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Blitz 34

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll comment on the ones I know (as in my era where I watched religiously, basically '92 and on) as I go through.

#50: Mark Bruener - Shocking. He was a very good blocker but certainly didn't expect to see him on here lol.

#47. Barry Foster - My fav RB ever. He holds the single season rushing record, but was over-used, and thus my disdain for seeing a stud RB get too many carries. Way too short of a career as a result, and then we were stuck with that worthless druggy Bam Morris.

#45. Heath Miller - Way too low on the list. Heath is an absolute stud. The author even says with a few more good years he's poised to move up a fair amount, but before he starts the list he says he's assuming some of the current guys will continue to have a few more seasons as they are. So this guy needs to make up his mind. Either he is or isn't factoring in a few more "as-is".

#43. Levon Kirkland - I loved this guy, and think he deserved a place somewhere around here. A house with feet.

#40. Gary Anderson - He was a great kicker. I remember him mainly as the guy that blew the NFCC for the Vikings though.

#36. Aaron Smith - WAY too low on the list. He has been the anchor for the Steelers' D for a long time, and a key component in 2 SBs. The perfect 5-tech.

#30. James Farrior - No way he should be higher than Smith. He was an absolute stud in '04, where he was robbed of the DPOY. I'd say he's on par with Heath, and this is assuming Heath will continue to have another 5 years of play like he has since his rookie year.

#29. Joey Porter. I'm not sure on this. He was good, but again, not better than Smith for sure. I'd also take Farrior and Miller over him.

#26. Carnell Lake. I was a HUGE Carnell Lake fan, and think he's one of the best DBs I've ever seen. Hard to have him much higher though, with all of those 70s guys yet to come. I personally would rank him higher though, if for no other reason than the '95 season where he went from SS to CB to replace Rod Woodson, and made the pro bowl as a CB. He was a LB in college if I remember correctly.

#25. James Harrison. Probably about right for him. I'd definitely rate Carnell higher though. Silverback has had 3 good years, and is already in his 30s. I don't see him having that great of a career like some others on this list did, although he has had a few spectacular seasons so far. If we were going by just 1-2 seasons, Barry Foster would be much higher, as he had the best year ever by a Steelers' RB, and that's not even close.

#23. Casey Hampton. Hard to argue with the immovable object here, although the evidence is clear that Aaron Smith is a better and more irreplaceable player, so should be ranked higher.

#22. Alan Faneca. A great road grading OL for years. No prob with his placement on here.

#21. Greg Lloyd. One of the baddest dudes I've ever seen play, and one of my all-time favs. His stats weren't there, but boy his impact was. Could be higher.

#18. Ben Roethlisberger. WAY WAY WAY too low. If he's projecting more seasons as he has already put up, as he said before the list started, Ben should be top 5 hands down. He has all-time great stats for any team in any era, and has already led the Steelers to 2 SB wins and probably got cheated out of at least one more. I knew he'd be ranked too low, as I have a feeling Rod Woodson will be too, but it still pisses me off seeing him this low regardless.

#14. Dermontti "Dirty D" Dawson. A stud C for years, and should be in the HOF. No real prob with his placement.

#12. Troy Polamalu. Way too high for him IMO. He is a great great player, but too oft-injured for me to put him this high. He's only had 3 complete seasons as a starter, and in 2 of the others he missed 3 and 5 games, and last year he missed 11. So in those 3 seasons, he missed 19 of 48 games, or 40% of them. At almost 30 years old already, I don't see him sticking around that long. If he was durable and sticks around for 5 more years or so, he'd easily be in the top 5.

#11. Jerome Bettis. Way too high in my book. I'd put 3/4 of the guys I mentioned here above him.

#10. Hines Ward. Like Bettis, way too high. Both of them were just consistent, and never game breakers or anything too irreplaceable. You could lose both of them and not experience the impact of losing just one player like Big Ben, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, etc.

#9. Rod "Hot Rod" "God" Woodson. He should've been a LOT higher. The greatest DB to ever walk the face of the earth, and he's not even top 5 on this list? What a frickin joke. The asshat writing this article mentions that he didn't spend his whole career in Pittsburgh, yet has no problem mentioning Bettis's all-time rushing yards ranking, which includes his stint with the Rams, as a justification of his place on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't agree with Hines? Shocker!!! Wink.

I don't agree with him being #10 either but not for the same reasons. Hines impact on this team should not be in question rather there are more deserving guys that should be ahead of him.

He has been great and deserves a high ranking. Better #s then any receiver and the only consistent receiver in the last 30 years!!!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
snoopydawg44us

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jason Gildon? who holds the Steelers all time sack record. No OG Gerry "Moon" Mullins? Amazing after all these years "Moon" is still underrated. Who I thought was the best guard we ever had before Alan Faneca came along. Interesting Mike Merriweather olb was good also, not on the list. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Last edited by snoopydawg44us on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
greene91fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitz 34 wrote:

#11. Jerome Bettis. Way too high in my book. I'd put 3/4 of the guys I mentioned here above him.

#10. Hines Ward. Like Bettis, way too high. Both of them were just consistent, and never game breakers or anything too irreplaceable. You could lose both of them and not experience the impact of losing just one player like Big Ben, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, etc.

I don't get how you can even dispute the ranking of these two guys? They are/were the cornerstones of this offense, if not the franchise for years. Ward is the most dependable reciever we've had, as JDL said, in the last 30 years.

Look in the dictionary under the term workhorse, and you'll see Bettis' picture next to it. In 10 years he carried the ball 2683 times for 10571 yards, at 3.9 yards per carry and scored 78 times against teams that were stacked against the run like there was no tomarrow. Oh, and Bettis' highest carry season was 375, 15 fewer than Foster's and he still lasted a respectable amount of time in the league.

As far as I'm concerned Foster shouldn't even be on the list. He was a good back don't get me wrong, but he had one great season which happens to be the team record. Longevity goes a long way to ascertaining one's greatness in the NFL.

Otherwise I can't really much disagree with what you said, well I could but I'd be nitpicking.

Thanks Lysar529 for the sig!

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."
SteelCityYaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene91fan wrote:
Blitz 34 wrote:

I don't get how you can even dispute the ranking of these two guys? They are/were the cornerstones of this offense, if not the franchise for years. Ward is the most dependable reciever we've had, as JDL said, in the last 30 years.

Look in the dictionary under the term workhorse in the regular season and then crap the bed in the post season, and you'll see Bettis' picture next to it. In 10 years he carried the ball 2683 times for 10571 yards, at 3.9 yards per carry and scored 78 times against teams that were stacked against the run like there was no tomarrow. Oh, and Bettis' highest carry season was 375, 15 fewer than Foster's and he still lasted a respectable amount of time in the league.

As far as I'm concerned Foster shouldn't even be on the list. He was a good back don't get me wrong, but he had one great season which happens to be the team record. Longevity goes a long way to ascertaining one's greatness in the NFL.

Otherwise I can't really much disagree with what you said, well I could but I'd be nitpicking.

Fixed - I admire what Bettis did, but when it came down to crunch time, in the playoffs, he crapped the bed several times. For that, I'd put him lower, not too much lower, I agree with Jayme for Bettis.

Jack Lambert ~Greatest MLB Ever.
greene91fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelCityYaga wrote:
greene91fan wrote:
Blitz 34 wrote:

Look in the dictionary under the term workhorse in the regular season and then crap the bed in the post season( Eh? ), and you'll see Bettis' picture next to it. In 10 years he carried the ball 2683 times for 10571 yards, at 3.9 yards per carry and scored 78 times against teams that were stacked against the run like there was no tomarrow. Oh, and Bettis' highest carry season was 375, 15 fewer than Foster's and he still lasted a respectable amount of time in the league.

Fixed - I admire what Bettis did, but when it came down to crunch time, in the playoffs, he crapped the bed several times. For that, I'd put him lower, not too much lower, I agree with Jayme for Bettis.

Actually, his pyc stats were the only thing that was down from 3.9 to 3.4, still a first down if you hand him the rock three times in a row. I'm not saying he was the best Steeler of all time or anything, but he definately deserves consideration for top 10 IMO.

Post season stats:
675 yards, 198 carries, 9 TDs in 11 games...not too shabby.

Plus one thing to consider is in the Playoffs, a lot of "great" players looked worse than their regular season performances because...(almost) everybody is a good football team, with the exception of the 05 Steelers, "the worst playoff team ever" Laughing One thing else to consider is the inadequacy of the passing attack all those years Bettis played. Mike Tomczak? Kordell Stewart? Turnover Tommy was maybe the best passer he had outside of Ben to work with.

I dunno, to each his own I guess.

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."
SteelCityYaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene91fan wrote:
Actually, his pyc stats were the only thing that was down from 3.9 to 3.4, still a first down if you hand him the rock three times in a row. I'm not saying he was the best Steeler of all time or anything, but he definately deserves consideration for top 10 IMO.

Post season stats:

Plus one thing to consider is in the Playoffs, a lot of "great" players looked worse than their regular season performances because...(almost) everybody is a good football team, with the exception of the 05 Steelers, "the worst playoff team ever" Laughing One thing else to consider is the inadequacy of the passing attack all those years Bettis played. Mike Tomczak? Kordell Stewart? Turnover Tommy was maybe the best passer he had outside of Ben to work with.

Yup, to each their own, I guess, Cowher ran him into the ground to when, come playoff time, he was breaking down, got hurt 1996, 2002, 2003 in 2004, he magically got cramps in the cold of Pittsburgh, but, don't mention he just fumbled and Duce had to finish out the game on a crucial drive.

He had good production, but seemed to fumble away opportunities as well, 2004 against NYJ and NE, 2005 against Indy. Though the drive before the fumble in INDY JB was on fire that drive, converting a 4-1, the drive consumed 8 mins of clock.

Like I said, I give JB all the credit in the world, if it wasn't for Ben, he'd be the Steelers version of Bill Buckner, not in the top 20 of Steelers. Top 30, yeah, not top 20.

Blitz 34

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene91fan wrote:
Blitz 34 wrote:

Look in the dictionary under the term workhorse, and you'll see Bettis' picture next to it. In 10 years he carried the ball 2683 times for 10571 yards, at 3.9 yards per carry and scored 78 times against teams that were stacked against the run like there was no tomarrow. Oh, and Bettis' highest carry season was 375, 15 fewer than Foster's and he still lasted a respectable amount of time in the league.

It's impact. I've always said that I don't value RB or WR much, unless they're a real gamebreaker. These 2 weren't that, at all. I admit I soured on Bettis later in his career when he was a bit washed up, and his YPC is pretty pathetic, but as you said, given the circumstances he produced quite well. Also though, as Yaga said, he didn't do much in the playoffs, partially due to facing better teams, and partially due to being worn out.

As for Ward, I've grown to like him more recently, but he still isn't the big play WR like Swann or Stalworth, or a Randy Moss type of the modern era. He's an important part of an offense, as Bettis was, but not one that demands double coverage or anything like that. He's merely a really good possession receiver. That guy admits there were lots of biases in his list, and to me it was evident with these 2 being as high as they were.

Foster and Bettis are completely different types of backs too. Faster, smaller guys get hit a lot harder and can't absorb it as well. If Foster had been able to stay healthy longer, he'd be way above Bettis on this list. That one year he was considerably better than I ever saw out of Bettis. Real shame he didn't last longer. Keep in mind that in Foster's huge year, he also had 36 catches, whereas Bettis only had 15, so that's 21 more catches and 15 more carries, so 36 more touches and thus hits, on a 40 lbs smaller body.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopydawg44us wrote:
No Jason Gildon? who holds the Steelers all time sack record. No OG Gerry "Moon" Mullins? Amazing after all these years "Moon" is still underrated. Who I thought was the best guard we ever had before Alan Faneca came along. Interesting Mike Merriweather olb was good also, not on the list. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Merriweather I felt was a bit overrated, or his prime was shortlived. I know he played well early but I think he didnt continue for long enough. Thats mostly from a perspective of the years from 86 on however.

...you have a forum resume?
whit09

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

A couple quick points....

The author said he was afraid Roethlisberger was too high on the list...I say he should have been top 15.

I agree that Smith should be higher.

...Thanks to UofMfan909
greene91fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelCityYaga wrote:
greene91fan wrote:

Post season stats:

Yup, to each their own, I guess, Cowher ran him into the ground to when, come playoff time, he was breaking down, got hurt 1996, 2002, 2003 in 2004, he magically got cramps in the cold of Pittsburgh, but, don't mention he just fumbled and Duce had to finish out the game on a crucial drive.

He had good production, but seemed to fumble away opportunities as well, 2004 against NYJ and NE, 2005 against Indy. Though the drive before the fumble in INDY JB was on fire that drive, converting a 4-1, the drive consumed 8 mins of clock.

Like I said, I give JB all the credit in the world, if it wasn't for Ben, he'd be the Steelers version of Bill Buckner, not in the top 20 of Steelers. Top 30, yeah, not top 20.

The man only fumbled three times in 194 carries in the playoffs, or 1 fumble for every 65 carries compared to his regular season avg of 1 fumble every 95 carries. Don't get me wrong a 30 carry difference is bad, but without him we would have struggled mightily to make the post season. The Jets game you can try to pin "almost" losing on him all you want, but IIRC Ben threw a few of his INTs in that game.

SteelCityYaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greene91fan wrote:
SteelCityYaga wrote:
greene91fan wrote:

Post season stats:

The man only fumbled three times in 194 carries in the playoffs, or 1 fumble for every 65 carries compared to his regular season avg of 1 fumble every 95 carries. Don't get me wrong a 30 carry difference is bad, but without him we would have struggled mightily to make the post season. The Jets game you can try to pin "almost" losing on him all you want, but IIRC Ben threw a few of his INTs in that game.

The man was also injured to the point where he wasn't effective either and still wanted the ball, in 2002, etc. He was a very popular player, but he did not play well in the playoffs post 1997.

Go back and watch the games, he wasn't a difference maker.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Smith is wayyy too low.

He should be in the 20's at least. Definitely not behind Louis Lipps with respect to 83.

Have a difficult time digesting Lloyd in the 20's. Early teens perhaps. I'll leave it at that without getting into a term paper.

Was Kirkland on that list?

Darren Perry not Top 50?

Gary Anderson, he was our offense.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Steed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: