Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 8- Steelers (5-1) at Saints (4-3) Sunday Night
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Result will be...
Steelers by 1-3
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Saints by 1-3
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Steelers by 4-7
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Saints by 4-7
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Steelers by 8-14
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Saints by 8-14
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Steelers by 15 or more
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Saints by 15 or more
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 32

lifeinthaboot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt21 wrote:
I think Steelers win BIG, with a game similar to the Saints-Cowboys game a year ago.

Brees and the Saints O typically struggle with 3-4 defenses. Even against the Browns and Cardinals defenses, neither of which are even remotely as good as the Pitt D, Brees looked rattled, the offensive line was completely confused in their blocking assignments much of the time.

Bush didn't practice today, so he's probably unlikely to play, and Pierre is definitely out. Ladell Betts has directly led to 3 turnovers in the last 3 games and is simply not on the same page with Brees. Outside of the Tampa game against an incredibly weak defensive line, the Saints Oline has been getting manhandled. Against the #1 ranked run defense of Pitt, I don't see the Saints being able to establish any balance, especially without Bush, which means Brees will be forced to drop back and air it out 30-40+ times, which is going to lead to tipped balls and interceptions.

I don't foresee the injury to Aaron Smith making much of an impact. Hood and whoever else plays in his spot will hold their own against a struggling Saints front.

For the Steelers offensively, Big Ben will have 2 games under his belt and is going against a secondary missing potentially the top 3 corners. Porter and Gay are definitely out, Greer did not practice yet again today, so he is likely looking at a combination of rookie Patrick Robinson, Leigh Torrence, and Malcolm Jenkins, which heavily favors Pitt. Up front, the Saints front four has failed to generate much pressure, with the two DE's Will Smith and Alex Brown being extremely disappointing. I think profootballfocus had the stat but I believe the two have combined for only around 20 or 30 quarterback pressures on the season, which is less than some players get by themselves in ONE game.

The Saints have played ONE offense ranked in the top half of the league in Atlanta, and were largely gashed, especially in the run game. Overall they have fared well against the likes of Max Hall, Jimmy Clausen, and Colt McCoy. Big Ben is in a completely different class, and this will be a massive test for the Saints D. I think the Saints will struggle to pressure Ben, giving him tons of time in the pocket and he will be able to pick the banged up secondary apart. While Robinson has held his own as a rookie, if Malcolm Jenkins is indeed forced to slide over from safety to the other corner spot again, I see the Steelers taking advantage and hitting Mike Wallace for at least one big touchdown.

The Steelers are also the best run offense the Saints have faced since Atlanta. When that game mattered, Turner and Snelling completely gashed the Saints D. I think the Saints defensive rankings are greatly inflated due to playing teams like the Panthers, Browns, and Cardinals and the Steelers, with the aid of turnovers will take advantage for 30+ points.

One key stat, particularly since Brees has typically struggled mightily against the 3-4 defense: Since joining the Saints in 2006, Brees has thrown an interception or lost a fumble in approximately 38 games. Of those games, 22 of them were multiple-turnover games by Brees: that means that when Brees turns it over in a game, he has a GREATER THAN 50% CHANCE to turn it over again. This season, Brees has turned the ball over in 4 games, 3 of which involved Brees throwing 2+ interceptions.

Saints have played, especially offensively, only played 1 good game this season against Tampa. With Bush likely out, I don't see them turning it around against the best defense in the league. On the other side, Big Ben will be playing his 3rd game against a defense that is banged up in the secondary and has only been tested in one or 2 games this season. After playing Miami a week ago, I think Big Ben will pick apart the Saints D and have a big game.

Somewhat pessimistic, but mostly realistic prediction: Steelers win 31-10. This will be the toughest defense the Saints have played all season, and maybe even in 2 years, dating back to the Jets game a year ago. I think they will be lucky to break 10 points. While the Saints have struggled against a top 3 easy schedule, the Steelers have played teams like the Dolphins, Ravens, and Titans and come away 5-1. They are going to dominate and show that they are the Super Bowl favorites through 8 games.

Nice post! There should be more people like you posting here instead of people like me.

Any Steelers fans going to the game? I'll love to show you how Voodoo works in N.O. Cool
C$!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas out per ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5742083

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good news. Brees against out pass defense still worries me tho.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers pass defense has be substandard, but to there credit they have only given up 3 pass TDs. The Steelers secondary plays a bend don't break style. While to the die-hard to causal fan the defense seems bad it's been pretty consistent with the game on the line ( Outside of the Ravens game) I fully expect D. Brees to gash the Steelers with his typical dink and donk style. Then hit for the big one over the top, but I feel with the game on the line the secondary will make the necessary plays to secure a victory.

35-30 Steelers win

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees on prime time needing to bounce back against a defense that can't get pressure that just lost its best DL and simply hasn't played all that great after starting the season with a bang? With or without Bush, I don't like this matchup. At all.

They need a win. They can't afford to get beaten in front of the home town crowd again and certainly not in prime time.

This one could get ugly, but even if it doesn't, I don't see us winning this one.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Hard Football Facts chimes in

Quote:
Pittsburgh (-1.5) at New Orleans
The Saints have been struggling to get their groove back on offense here in the defense of their Super Bowl title. And who walks into town but the high-flying Steelers, big-play quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the leagueís top-ranked defense (12.0 PPG).

You know the Pittsburgh defense is the best in football when it comes to keeping opponents off the scoreboard. Itís also the best in the NFL at stopping the run (2.78 YPA) and is tied for the fewest TD passes allowed so far this season (4).

Pass defense is critical against Drew Brees, whoís way off his blistering pace of 2009 (109.6 passer rating vs. 91.4).

But thatís not the scary part: the scary this Halloween for New Orleans is that the Saints pass defense is a shadow of its former self: No. 3 in Defensive Passer Rating last year, No. 15 this year.

And the scarier part is this: the Steelers quietly field the second-best passing attack in football: an impressive average of 7.42 YPA. Like we always say, folks, winning football games is not about a big-volume passing game. Itís about a hugely efficient passing game.

And Pittsburgh is firing on all cylinders right now, even if they held on for dear life last week against Miami.

Suggested Halloween costume: the 2010 Saints dress up as the 2009 Saints.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
lifeinthaboot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you Steelers fans in about 4 hours! I hope that ya'll be pissed off instead of me Wink
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see us dropping this one late. I agree that we have played much better this season than the saints. But, they are experienced and capable with quality coaches on both sides of the ball. I don't think they expect to run, so they will expose our secondary and employ a short passing game to nullify our pressures.

I hope I'm wrong.
Nice, a 1st down pass, screen.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you Mewelde Moore. Evil or Very Mad
rrize24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed essex. 2 guys run by him, you figure he'd at least get in the way of one.

^ ^ ^
Props to DAWG24 on the sig
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Redman better than MM at this point. Nice blocking there.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough two returns for that guy!

O come on MikeT. That not red flag worthy.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
OK. Redman better than MM at this point. Nice blocking there.

Who isn't better than Moore?

WTF? What are you challenging Tomlin?!
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it was a fumble by what they said last week they blew the whistle BEFORE anyone has possion of the ball so there for the play would be dead and still be saints ball because the refs blew the whistle...you know like they did last week against Miami.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tackle Woodley, open field tackles aren't your forte but you did good there son.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: