Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coles wants out, and he could be released!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the redskins just wasted a first round pick. They don't seem to get it in the era of the salary cap. I'm happy. I like them dawdling in mediocrity.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news guys...or possibly good news anyway...Gibbs is all over the internet and TV saying that Coles WILL PLAY FOR THE SKINS NEXT SEASON...now dont get me wrong, this could all be a smokescreen, trying to get us SOME leverage...but i really dont see why we need leverage when a trade is basically out of the picture anyway...i think its very possible that they have sat down and decided that they really do hold all the chips, and that coles will have to play for the skins if they say so.

considering that there is really no benefit in releasing him (other than getting rid of a possibly disgruntled player) i think it is the right move...its a business and we just cant give guys whatever they want, even if it makes us out to look like a bad guy once in a while...if you remember, ramsey was in this same sort of spot last year, and looked like he might be on his way out, but he stayed on and this offseason has been a team leader with class moves like restructuring his contract...maybe will coles will end up doing the same
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh believe me it is, but you tell me dogs...looking at it from a redskins perspective, do you think there is a really a benefit to releasing coles?
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP reports the Jets have had cursory talks with the Redskins about reacquiring disgruntled WR Laveranues Coles from Washington, but substantive trade discussions won't take place until at least the NFL scouting combine later this week, a person familiar with the situation said last night. Before serious talks can take place, the Redskins must first clean up their salary-cap situation. The Redskins and Coles' agent met Sunday and The Washington Post reported they reached an agreement on Coles' release, though the Redskins could be rethinking the deal because they would absorb a $9.2 million salary-cap hit. In an unprecedented move, Coles offered to waive the final $5 million installment of his $13 million signing bonus to get his release. That payment is due April 1. But the players union and the league could fight that move. One NFL source told the Post yesterday that it would be "almost impossible" for the Redskins to trade Coles because of the huge salary-cap hit. But Coles would count for $5.7 million -- still steep, but more affordable -- under the cap if he's allowed to forfeit the bonus payment.

Pick your Poison Exclamation
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News reports aside (im not saying that they are wrong, but i hope no one is trusting them as gospel either) lets look at the situation logically, as i hope the skins are:

Option 1: They could trade him.

We would incur a horrible cap penalty. Plus, who would trade for him when they believe they can get him for free? In any case, no one would give decent value for a guy who is heavily rumored to be released at any moment.

Option 2: They could release him.

This just comes down to simple math. We lose Coles, incur a cap hit, although smaller, and get NOTHING in return. It's absolutely horrible business to allow that to happen.

Option 3: They could keep him.

It wouldnt be great for team chemistry to refuse to accomodate him, but there are ways to fix that. We hang on to our #1 receiver and don't take the cap hits.

I dont know about you all, but thats how I see the situation. And I don't think a rational mind (and maybe I'm giving Danny and Joe to much credit) could possibly do anything other than hold on to him.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only $4 million left under the cap, the Skins can not afford to trade him or release him. Both are more of a cap hit than the Skins have right?
That is definetly a bad situation to be in.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it sucks for sure...and here i thought the skins were going to have this awesome and quiet offseason...now we are the center of attention again...DAMMIT!
sootedpair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has The Dan had a quiet offseason?

Now with Porter off the market, the Skins are going to have a tough time getting a free agent WR without grossly over paying.
goskins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: coles trade Reply with quote

trading is the best option

maybe we can somehow trade coles and a 5th rnd to nyj for abraham

but again he will be to expesnive
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could trade him if we wouldnt suffer a huge cap hit...or if anyone would give value for a player that will probably be released...but we will get killed on the cap and no one will give us value...so i really dont see how that is a plausible option...and cutting him just sucks all around
up da gut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the cry baby go Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ! i don't want anyone on my team that does'nt want to be here. It just brings down the moral in the lockeroom. He is being paid top dollar by this orgization. If your not getting open how can the ball be thrown to you. He's never in his career been a #1 receiver on a team and the pressure is getting to him.(Florida State) if you're keying on Santana Moss, Coles will be open. (New York Jets) If your keying on Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Cherbet, Coles might be open. You finally get a chance by the Redskin organization to become a #1 option and they pay you top dollar to do so and you slap us in the face. Leave and get your bad toe outta here.( Coles dropped just as many balls as Gardner). " PRESSURE BURST PIPES"
up da gut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more thing. For the Eagle guy.( Liquid) Get a ring, then you can post a message on the Redskins forum. Shocked Just getting to the show won't make you a champion. You gotta win!
up da gut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the cry baby go Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ! i don't want anyone on my team that does'nt want to be here. It just brings down the moral in the lockeroom. He is being paid top dollar by this orgization. If your not getting open how can the ball be thrown to you. He's never in his career been a #1 receiver on a team and the pressure is getting to him.(Florida State) if you're keying on Santana Moss, Coles will be open. (New York Jets) If your keying on Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Cherbet, Coles might be open. You finally get a chance by the Redskin organization to become a #1 option and they pay you top dollar to do so and you slap us in the face. Leave and get your bad toe outta here.( Coles dropped just as many balls as Gardner). " PRESSURE BURST PIPES"
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your keying on Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Cherbet, Coles might be open.

I'm not sure that it's what you were saying, but LC and Keyshawn weren't on the Jets together.

It looks like LC is going to play hardball and not renegotiate to allow the Skins to try to trade him. I can't say I blame him, but if he's going to play harball we should too. They gave up a first round pick for the guy which is justification enough to not release him in my opinion. I think the Skins should hold off on releasing him just to see if he'll reconsider re-doing his contract for a trade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: