Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coles wants out, and he could be released!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Coles wants out, and he could be released! Reply with quote

I couldn't believe my eyes, not only are the skins getting rid of Gardner, but Coles wasn't happy last year, and he wants out. The Washington post said that he will turn back some of his signing bonus to help with the salary cap hit in order to release him.

So for all you people who think we are taking a DE in the first round, you're wrong, we must take a WR or H Miller, because we'll need a playmaker or 2 on offense now!
samuariskins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Coles Leaving! Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but you could see the writing on the wall. During the season Coles grew further and further fustrated with the passing game. He came here because he believed he would be playing Spurrier ball (Pass always) instead of Gibbs ball (Run it down their throats). Our passing game sucks! What is worst, we spent all that money on a has-been QB who couldn't throw 20 yards and hit his receiver yet we had a young gun with some playing time could definitely throw the ball down field yet sitting on the bench for half the season!. Gibbs needs to learn that the game has changed! With the new rules, a team should be 50/50, run/pass combinations. We need to take our shots downfield! That way the defenses have to spread out instead of constantly defending against the run. Gibbs will not keep a player whom doesn't want to be here. Thats has been the way he has coached his entire career. The only good thing about COles leaving, and I do mean the only thing is the cap issue. Coles is a keeper! We need to try to convert him that Gibbs system will work. Look at Monk & Clark! They had excellent careers as receivers under Gibbs. Sadly, the bottom line is that we will lose him, also the #1 pick of two years ago for absolutely nothing! Isn't that the way the Redskins always seem to do things.
goskins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: damm Reply with quote

it loooks now that we should try to get plax or munshin since we got money for a wr from coles

maybe gardner will stay?
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simply horrible news! I'm going to wait until its officially to fully lament, but allow me to say right now, all of my optimism about the redskins season has slid down the tubes. without coles, we will end up like the ravens, with a developing QB with no receivers to throw to.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not believe it when I read it, that is terrible news. He shoudl have given Gibbs one more year before demanding a release. We all know that we had a terrible offense this year and no deep game but Gibbs style of football is pound the run to open up the longball. The posse (monk, clark and sanders) all had 1,000yrd recieving totals in the same year. This came a year to early.

In regards to keeping Gardner, I dont want him, lets get what we can for him and cut the ties.

Gibbs knew this was going to happen when he gave his radio address, so I can assume that his baulking at getting plax or mohammed still means he has no intention of going after them?

This really turns the focus on landing Williams. Use Taylor to stretch the field and use Mccants as your slot reciever.

I guess the closer we get to the cap black hole that more comfortable we are going to have to be with saying bye to our stars. I just didn't expect it to be losing coles.
What a dissapointment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Coles leaves, this is truly sad news. He would free up some money, maybe take a shot at Mason. he could probally be signed for alot less then Plax or Porter. Then draft Williams or Braylon. This really does suck, i just hope we dont hold back in FA market. We need a playmaker bad.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing is that now teams hold huge leverage over us in the draft. They know we desperately need either braylon or mike, and they can force us to trade up. That will kill our chances to pick up more depth and solidify both of our lines through the middle rounds
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem now becomes, What good receiver will want to go to a team that has become a "running" team?

If that tampering thing becomes true, the skins will be F#%#@d!
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why so many think of the skins as a running team. They had 471 rush attempts and 514 pass attempts. I'd call that a 50/50 offense.

As far as Coles leaving, I was kind of hoping that they'd trade him before this news came out. He's got a problem with his foot that he's refused to get surgery on, and I think it's brought his game down a few notches.

They'll probably get one of the FA WRs and draft one as well. If Williams or Edwards isn't there, they can trade down and take Clayton.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running team only refers to the style of coaching. Spurrier vs Gibbs
WhySkins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree about the toe problem, that could be an added incentive for the redskins to release him. in my opinion the skins need to get williams or edwards in the draft, even if it means trading up, and then get someone like houshmanzadeh in free agency, or someone else with a smaller price tag who can still play.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many picks do the Skins have in this years draft?
I know they have a history of trading picks away for players.

Do they have any extra pick to trade up for either M.W. or B.E.?
If the Skins are low on picks, they might want to trade down for more picks instead up for one player.

High draft picks demand big money! The Skins don't have that much space under the cap and it will be getting worse before it gets better.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the foot, Coles was a warrior and his will be a big void to fill. Gibbs' plan is to use free agency to fill all gaps and go into the draft being able to select the best player available. Going in with a wish list and not a needs's list.

Personally I dont think we have the cap room to do that. We need to start rebuilding with availble mid tier priced talent. When we picked up C.Griffin he was tagged as an underachiever and he re-invented himself here. Same with Springs, he was a 50/50 guy who picked what downs he "played" and here he bought into Greg Williams and was reborn.

If we miss on Williams and Edwards, then we trade down a few spots and pick up Troy Williamson who is a speedster like coles is. We need to pick up someone in free agency. As much as I hate the idea of it, with loosing both of our recievers I wouldn't mind making a bid for Plax. He is a playmaker (at least he thinks so) with decent speed. That at least puts us in a position not to be bullied in the draft by teams in the 1-8 spot.

Coles being added to the mix of available WRs only pushes Gardner's trade value down lower. Between the Post and ESPN, Coles will pay enough of his signing bonus back to make the cap a wash so all we loose is the 1st Rounder he cost us.
UtBDan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think he'll be released or traded?
Vikings fan.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be released. Who would give up something for a guy that will be released anyway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: