Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Fighting Reply with quote

Is there anything stupider than fighting?

I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy which for various reasons got me thinking of cringe worthy stuff Wink and I recalled being out a bar last weekend & the whole place going quiet when two beefheads started getting in eachothers face, with the whole "hold me back! hold me back!!!" crap, screaming swears, all their friends being like "dude calm down!". It was a huge scene and everybody was in the bar watching these two adults try and fist each other. Even more absurd, it became very obvious they were total strangers. One took offense to the way the guy looked at him, and rather than being cool, the offender chose to escalate and be all "I look where I wanna look" etc.

My buddy just turned to me and was all "Imagine if someone you were with acted that way... Rolling Eyes Laughing ". How EMBARRASSING.

Grown adults fighting/trying to fight each other has go be one of the flat out dumbest and most embarrassing actions that one can do. Its one thing if it is self defense, but that you can usually deescalate. It is even more embarrassing when it's total strangers. Like, you are giving a STRANGER that much influence over your emotions? How does someone you do not know & means nothing to you have the power to get you so upset/angry that you want to fight? Laughing

The whole "you gonna take that!?" / "stand up for yourself!" mentality is so lame. Its such a lame part of whats is considered masculinity when I just see it as acting overly emotional and immature. Sad thing is I feel like I this stuff every time I go. It's embarrassing.

When two baseball players go at it? Shocked Laughing Its like, seriously? Youre role models for kids watching. He threw a baseball near you, or, he flipped his bat. You going to talk ish and fight? What are you, a caged animal? Laughing Being a pro baseball player means assault & battery is OK? Football and hockey are such physical sports thats its almost just getting caught up in the game, though its still lame...especially hockey fights, embarrassment to professional athletes...

Interested to hear others thoughts.
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be small.

jk, but what do you think about the UFC?

El ramster on the sig
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11sanchez11 wrote:
You must be small.

Laughing That made me laugh.

Not a fan of UFC or violence in general really. Confused
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. I have nothing against it. Man's gotta have a code, though.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the context, IMO.

Guys that fight over a "bad look"? Stupid. Guys that fight over one provoking the other? Meh.

I've only ever been in one "fight" in my life, and it ended after a single punch. Some drunken idiot (friend of a friend) put his hands on me telling me to "sit the f down" because he wasn't ready to stop playing beer pong (he lost and there was a list). Pushed him away and told him to not put his hands on me again -- he responded "Ill put my hands on you whenever I want", stepped forward and got decked. In that situation, there really wasn't much of a choice for me. I think in those types of situations, I don't know if you can call it "self defense" as he never swung on me, and I certainly didn't want to fight (my friends were all shocked as I'm one of the most laid back guys), but there's a certain line where if crossed, IMO it needs to be handled and that line for me is somebody putting their hands on me.

Typically, though, I try to avoid it because it's not worth it even if it means being the "lesser man". Another situation just last year, we were for my brother in law's bachelor party -- all just standing around, having a great time and all of the sudden myself and his best man get hit with blue icing. We look around, we don't see anything and it's weird that there's any sort of icing in a bar, so we assume it was some random drunken idiot walking by that threw something. About 20 mins later, some small little college aged kid (surrounded by like 4-5 girls) offers us a plate of cupcakes -- with blue icing. Confronted him after he walked away from his girls (so as to try to not embarrass him too much) and told him that he got his free pass and if he does it again, I'm not going to be as nice. In a situation like that, I don't feel fighting is justified at all, but had he decided to throw stuff again, then again a line as been crossed (IMO) and you gotta stand up for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBkJYnLjsaw

I feel like this is appropriate here. Start at 0:55.

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
biggio7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Isn't it more stupid?

I've only ever seen fighting go on in schools. Drunk pushing and shoving sure but no fists flying. Fighting is usually over something petty especially with drinking. Most of the fights in school are over a girl. Cause apparently if your girlfriend cheats on you, it's makes more sense to fight the guy she cheated with instead of breaking up with her.? That was always the context of fights in school that I've seen.

I've never been in a fight so I can't talk about personal experience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does someone have the composure to let those around them know to "hold them back" yet lack the ability to hold themselves back?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fighting Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Isn't it more stupid?

I've only ever seen fighting go on in schools. Drunk pushing and shoving sure but no fists flying. Fighting is usually over something petty especially with drinking. Most of the fights in school are over a girl. Cause apparently if your girlfriend cheats on you, it's makes more sense to fight the guy she cheated with instead of breaking up with her.? That was always the context of fights in school that I've seen.

I've never been in a fight so I can't talk about personal experience.

Yeah, high school fights are typically over just really stupid things.

Though, had a friend in high school get into a fight because another kid made fun of his recently deceased brother. The look in my friend's eyes was scary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a fight last more then 8 seconds. And afterwords everyone is usually friendly with each other and the issue is squashed. So it's not always useless. However I choose to cowardly submit

rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are times when you might have to fight and defend yourself or someone else. So I wouldn't look at fighting as being stupid unless you're fighting over something simple. I've been in two fights my whole life, and one is still on youtube. Both where to defend a love one & myself.

Fighting is nothing to be proud of unless you're a boxer or UFC fighter. Two drunks will likely fight over something stupid. Other times, you might be forced to do something.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
NY state of min

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love fighting its awesome

Thanks to IDOG Detroit for the sig

I'm the epitome of awesome
CrapTakula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get in a lot of fights, and as you say most were for stupid reasons. I think that I had a lot to prove and really wanted to be that "tough guy".
Also, it was part of the culture where I grew up and went to college.

Interestingly, once I started martial arts training I never got into a street fight after that at all. Part of it was knowing that my master instructor would be disappointed but most was just not needing to anymore.

So I won't say fighting is the most stupid thing out there (because I've done way dumber things), but the dumb street guy fights you're talking about really are dumb. I will say though that I love ufc and mma in general but I consider that a whole different issue.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
I used to get in a lot of fights, and as you say most were for stupid reasons. I think that I had a lot to prove and really wanted to be that "tough guy".
Also, it was part of the culture where I grew up and went to college.

Interestingly, once I started martial arts training I never got into a street fight after that at all. Part of it was knowing that my master instructor would be disappointed but most was just not needing to anymore.

So I won't say fighting is the most stupid thing out there (because I've done way dumber things), but the dumb street guy fights you're talking about really are dumb. I will say though that I love ufc and mma in general but I consider that a whole different issue.

Yeah, MMA and UFC are moreso "sports" than "fighting" IMO. Yes, it's based around the art of fighting, but it's much beyond your typical "fight".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh68yBQLfGagG617Zm

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: