Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Gun Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLCDallasFan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: The Gun Thread Reply with quote

EDIT: This was a thread about some help I needed. I got that help (thanks) and would now like it to be a general thread about anything to do with guns. So if you're interested in guns or ammo or anything - please feel free to post what your heart desires!

So I am going to take a class to get my license to coneal a firearm on June 13th, and I was just wondering what pistols people prefer/like....even if they don't carry them.

I know we have a lot of military people here so their input would be appreciated.

I already have a SIG Sauer P226 (two actually - one slightly larger than the other), heres a picture (but I think that's an airsoft version...still looks like the real one though, it's the only picture I can find that works at my job):

It's never been fired before - and I know it's a great gun but I just wanted to hear other's input before I decide to make that the gun I carry with me. I also have three revolvers, two that use .22 and a .357 magnun - but to be honest I don't think i'll choose a revolver - I prefer to have a higher ammo capacity.

Also, be mature and don't get this thread locked. Nothing inappropriate.
please!

So what pistols do you guys like, what caliber, holster, and sight do you prefer ect....

EDIT: Also, what kind of trigger mechanism do ya'll prefer?

Any input is appreciated!!

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.

Last edited by SLCDallasFan on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:26 am; edited 10 times in total
PurpleProwess

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends.

If your looking for personal defense, then your best bet is something Smaller and easy to shoot. (9mm, .45)

if your looking for a sport pistol, something else may be preferable.

I've actually never owned a Pistol (to young) so I don't know a whole lot.

Some gave all, All gave some.

All posting to be done henceforth via Phone. I apologize for the errors.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one myself, but most of the guys I work with have their concealed permit. One of the guys loves his Kel-Tec .380. He says the size is perfect for having it in an underarm holster.

It only has a 6 round clip, but he says it's his favorite gun to carry. That says a lot, since the guy has a serious amount of guns.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Enrage

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Megastar, 10mm variety. Carries 14 rounds of the uber-powerful 10mnm Auto round. In fact, the FBI went to 10mm Auto in the 80s but went away from it in a few years because it was too powerful and went with a shortened version of the 10mm now known as the .40 S&W. It's built to last forever. It's only downside is it's size and weight, although it's size helps control recoil.

It's harder to find now though, because Stars been out of business for a while, but if you can find one it would be worth the price.

The Mégane Experiment wrote:
Do you know why this is better than France? The French don't live here..
SLCDallasFan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrage wrote:
The Star Megastar, 10mm variety. Carries 14 rounds of the uber-powerful 10mnm Auto round. In fact, the FBI went to 10mm Auto in the 80s but went away from it in a few years because it was too powerful and went with a shortened version of the 10mm now known as the .40 S&W. It's built to last forever. It's only downside is it's size and weight, although it's size helps control recoil.

It's harder to find now though, because Stars been out of business for a while, but if you can find one it would be worth the price.

That is quite a gun Shocked

I don't think I need something that big, I will probably go with a 9mm or .45.

MrDrew wrote:
I don't have one myself, but most of the guys I work with have their concealed permit. One of the guys loves his Kel-Tec .380. He says the size is perfect for having it in an underarm holster.

It only has a 6 round clip, but he says it's his favorite gun to carry. That says a lot, since the guy has a serious amount of guns.

Hm I had never considered a Kel-Tec before. I think I would want more than 6 bullets but yeah I will look into that, and at least hold that one and see how it feels, thanks!

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.
PurpleProwess

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i jusdt thought of this, Stop By at your local Cabela's

Cabela's usually hires very good people on the firearm side.

And you can usually Test, and hold the firearms.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-stores.jsp?cm_re=TopNav*RetailStores*051509

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shot a lot of pistols and guns with my friends who are marines at school, and I have to say that the .357 Magnum is the most accurate revolver I used, and the Smith and Wesson 1911 is the best semi-automatic pistol I used.
.357 Magnum

Smith and Wesson 1911

both have very little kick and both are very accurate, 2 things you want in a pistol. I found that if you shot the 1911, it's more consistently accurate than the .357. I shoot below an expert status though. Expert (Marine Corps) is something like 95/100 from 100 yards away in a target of only 3 inches diameter. I shoot 50/100 from 100 yards away in that 3 inch diameter, but I get like 75/100 in a 7-8 inch diameter. And I can only do that with the S&W.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
chand223

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent aquisition is a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact (4.25 inch barrel),. Its Double action only, so no hammer to get snagged on anything. Not sure if you prefer a single/double action mechanism or not. It has the best ergonomics of any pistol outside of a 1911 that I have held. 17 Round Magazines, but if you plan on carrying, i would only load 10.

If you like your Sig 226, you may check out a Sig 229. Its the 4 inch barrel version, so its slightly smaller. If that is still too large, a Sig 239 is the Single stack concealed version. I carried a 229 for awhile, and as you can tell by all the different agencies/police/military units around the world that use it, its one of the best pistols around. Main issue with the Sigs is their magazines are ridiculously expensive.

Of course, a Glock, especially a 19, is always an option. As I dont have long thin alien-like fingers, they are not comfortable to shoot at all.

Edit: Also, pay the cash for the Night sights. Trijicon or any other tritium based sights work. They are worth twice what they cost.
nickcollinsfan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters you could tell us what you want/need it for...sport/protection/glam/ect.
bstars4evr

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&K USP Compact

why?

that's why

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
So what if the Dos Equis' man told me I was the world's most interesting man
oaktownOG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickcollinsfan wrote:
For starters you could tell us what you want/need it for...sport/protection/glam/ect.

he said he's getting a concealed weapons permit in June, so, I have to assume protection is the primary reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no input on the gun question. But I do have a question of my own.

So in America, a normal person, not in the police etc. just an average Joe, once they have this license, could theoretically strap a gun (that their license allows) to their body and walk through public places, and as long as they prove they have a license this is perfectly legal?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blairzo wrote:

So in America, a normal person, not in the police etc. just an average Joe, once they have this license, could theoretically strap a gun (that their license allows) to their body and walk through public places, and as long as they prove they have a license this is perfectly legal?

You're not able to obtain a concealed weapons permit in every state nor are they 'easy' to obtain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blairzo wrote:

Yes and no.

There are state and federal laws that prevent you carrying a Gun into places like Banks, Schools, Police Stations, Convenience store ETC

Concealed to Carry laws do not override these.

The funny thing is for the most part, in Most states it is perfectly legal to carry a gun around if it is in sight, except in those places.

It's all kinda Confusing.

oaktownOG

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not uncommon to see someone with a gun on a holster in Arizona.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 1 of 45

Jump to: