Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Amazon Return Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Amazon Return Question Reply with quote

Yes, i'm going to ask Amazon too, but i wondered if anyone ever ran into this.

I recently ordered a 12.73 item on Amazon (free shipping). I had to return it (wrong size). No biggie, right? Well, everything shortly thereafter turned into a cluster.

1) Shipped item back to third party seller on 4/14 with USPS tracking. Item arrived on 4/20.
2) On 4/28 received an email stating that my refund was cancelled because it timed out. Email them back with shipping info proving they received the item.
3) They replied back saying they already sent the refund, to which i replied, no you did not (they must have realized their mistake when i sent the tracking info and tried to cover it up by issuing the refund right away and claiming they already did it).
4) Anyway, here's where it gets hairy. They only issued me a refund for 10.24. They claim it's because they must deduct the shipping cost from the refund. Sounds reasonable, except they listed the item as having free shipping.

However, in their return policy they state:
Quote:
Any item purchased with free shipping, the shipping costs will be deducted from the price when refund is issued.
This seems like shady practice to me, because that cost is never disclosed until it's too late. I've now spent over $8 to return what was ostensibly a 10.24 item.

Now, the money itself is really a non-issue. I have a hard time getting worked up over a few dollars. But this is one those things that falls under principle to me: if the item costs 10.24 and shipping is 2.49, then FREAKING SAY THAT.

Am i crazy here? Or do i have something?

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... not sure but i had purchased something for $99 last month and had prime shipping but needed to return it... i Better get a full refund.

^^ryknowssd^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

SnA ExclusiVe on username change wrote:
If I was to change it, I would probably just be 2Teamz

#JDI
mm6492

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Amazon the seller or was it somebody else through Amazon?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm6492 wrote:
Was Amazon the seller or was it somebody else through Amazon?

3rd party seller.

Not prime shipping either. Just "free".

PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave Amazon your feedback on the seller. And if you're really upset about it, do it thru chat. amazon will probably give you $10 credit or something.

Mack on the sig
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Leave Amazon your feedback on the seller. And if you're really upset about it, do it thru chat. amazon will probably give you $10 credit or something.

I'm giving the seller one last chance (waiting on a reply email). If they refund the money, i will just drop it. If they don't, i'm going file a complaint. To me, it violates all sorts of business ethics and is completely shady. But i posted it here to see if i was way off base.

coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free shipping doesn't always mean free return shipping. It can seem like it does because it seems to imply free shipping both ways to everyone but that's not necessarily the case. That's why I stick to Prime items unless it specifically says I can return it for free. You're probably out of luck bud.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
Free shipping doesn't always mean free return shipping. It can seem like it does because it seems to imply free shipping both ways to everyone but that's not necessarily the case. That's why I stick to Prime items unless it specifically says I can return it for free. You're probably out of luck bud.

I think you misunderstand. I understand i have to pay shipping to send it back. What's grinding my gears is that they're not issuing a refund for the full 12.73 i paid to get the item in the first place. They're issuing 10.24 and claiming that 2.49 was their shipping cost (even though they advertised free shipping).

The ~$6 i paid to ship it back is immaterial to this discussion, other than that if i knew they were only issuing 10.24 back i would have elected to not send it back ($4 in savings is not enough to mess around with all this, i would have just gave it to Goodwill or something and got the $4 back on my taxes).

coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
coltsmanic808 wrote:

I think you misunderstand. I understand i have to pay shipping to send it back. What's grinding my gears is that they're not issuing a refund for the full 12.73 i paid to get the item in the first place. They're issuing 10.24 and claiming that 2.49 was their shipping cost (even though they advertised free shipping).

The ~$6 i paid to ship it back is immaterial to this discussion, other than that if i knew they were only issuing 10.24 back i would have elected to not send it back ($4 in savings is not enough to mess around with all this, i would have just gave it to Goodwill or something and got the $4 back on my taxes).

Oh gotcha, I see what you mean. Yeah as what other people said before, if you complain to the Amazon online chat people enough, they'll just give you the refund themselves.
mm6492

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
coltsmanic808 wrote:

Your accountant must hate you. Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it says it in their return policy, then I don't think much is to be done. Consumers are supposed to read all that fine print garbage. Yes, saying it's free shipping and then not refunding the full amount because of shipping costs is shady and they should just say the amount of the item and then the shipping. That said, they did disclose to you their policy before you made your purchase, if I'm understanding you correctly, so it's not their fault you didn't read the return policy.

All the time shopping on amazon you'll see something priced at 15 bucks and it says 5 bucks for shipping. Then you scroll down and another seller is selling the item at 20 bucks with free shipping.

Kempes on the custom sig!
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
If it says it in their return policy, then I don't think much is to be done. Consumers are supposed to read all that fine print garbage. Yes, saying it's free shipping and then not refunding the full amount because of shipping costs is shady and they should just say the amount of the item and then the shipping. That said, they did disclose to you their policy before you made your purchase, if I'm understanding you correctly, so it's not their fault you didn't read the return policy.

All the time shopping on amazon you'll see something priced at 15 bucks and it says 5 bucks for shipping. Then you scroll down and another seller is selling the item at 20 bucks with free shipping.

The return policy wasn't disclosed until i requested a return. The amount they were withholding wasn't disclosed ever. They just gave me a reduced amount.

To me, if you say free shipping, it means you're eating shipping costs out of your profits. I know that shipping is never truly free, but shouldn't be allowed to say free shipping and then claim you can't send a full refund because of the shipping cost. You could claim a restocking fee, or just disclose the shipping cost upfront during the purchase. Either is fine. But this to me is extremely shady.

EDIT: I do see what you're saying, and I was not expecting to get the money back. I more or less just wanted to impress upon them that this was extremely shady.

theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them another email asking them to explain this policy. They replied back, saying they issued the full refund this morning. Which is a lie, because i checked an hour ago and it wasn't issued. Magically it shows up 10 minutes after i send the email.

Oy vey. What a fun experience. Laughing

VYoung10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just contact Amazon through chat regardless of third party or not. Amazon, in my case, has always done everything they can to alleviate the situation. They are, in my opinion, the company with the best customer service.
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Amazon is pretty good, I know though that other companies if they send you the wrong item or it's the wrong size they'll send you a new item and you wouldn't have to pay to send anything back or that's been my experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: