Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Movie HOF - Semi Finals Blazing Saddles vs Star Wars

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got?
Blazing Saddles
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Star Wars
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 20

Eagle_scout94

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Movie HOF - Semi Finals Blazing Saddles vs Star Wars Reply with quote

Our last round of semi-finals puts Blazing Saddles against Star Wars, the winner of this poll meets Shawshank Redemption in the finals. We have two distinctly different types of movies here, so let's give them a quick review one more time...

BLAZING SADDLES
Before there were the Waynes brothers, before there was "Scary Movie" there was Blazing Saddles, a paradoy of any/all of the 1960 Western movies written and directed by Mel Brooks. "The crude, racist and sexist film with toilet humor and foul language includes the main elements of any western - a dance-hall girl, a gunslinger, a sheriff, a town full of pure folk, and more, but it twists them around. So they become a black sheriff, a racist town, a sex-obsessed Governor, and so forth" (quoted from Tim Dirks review on rottentomatoes.com). The question we face here is this...does Blazing Saddles have what it takes to beat out Star Wars for a sport in the finals versus Shawshank?

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope
A movie that many say changed the face of cinema upon its release in 1977. With state of the art special effects (Star Wars actually won the Oscar for best visual effects in 1978), a timeless story line, and some pretty brilliant casting (Sir Alec Guinness as Obi Wan Kinobi for one) Star Wars has proven to be a cinematic juggernaut. Although George Lucas did release Episode IV Special Edition back in 1997 with added scenes and whatnot, I consider myself a Star Wars traditionalist and the film originally released in 1977, the "original" original Star Wars is still my preferred version. Let's see if Star Wars can get by Blazing Saddles to meet Shawshank, in what would be a pretty impressive showdown in the finals...

One more thing I'd like to throw out for a possible point of further discussion...some people say that Blazing Saddles couldn't have been made today due to its racial and sexual humor. Here's a thought for you...let's say Star Wars wasn't made in 1977, let's say it sat on a shelf in George Lucas's office until now, late 2006. Do you think the film would be as "good" if it was made with today's technology (CGI, etc)? Personally I don't, I think the use of CGI in the three prequels was too much, and over done. For me it took away from the actors performances, and didn't have a sense of realism. The scenes where Luke fights with the Sandpeople, the scenes with the Jawa's...would have been CGI and wouldn't have felt right IMO....

Here you go fellas...the floor is now all yours....this poll will be open for 2 days then it's on to the finals!

"No player in Boston sports history has sent home this many people with electrifying moments of greatness." - Dan Shaunghnessy on David Ortiz

Last edited by Eagle_scout94 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
skywindO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Blazing Saddles and I love Star Wars. But this is an easy choice. Star Wars, no question. Star Wars is a much more meaningful film and it changed the face of the film industry.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Star Wars too. Blazing Saddles didn't quite start 30 years of pop culture...but it is an amazing movie! I might watch it tonight Very Happy

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughest poll yet both of these movies are in my top 10 Favorite movies, I had to go with Star Wars though for reasons stated above.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Star Wars fan much longer than I've been a Blazing Saddles fan. This movie started the entire Star Wars culture and deserves its recognition.
Barnett56

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody that votes for Blazing Saddles is crazy. Star Wars wins this one as easily as the Colts would beat the Raiders.
bennyola09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm Star WArs?

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting choice. Both of these movies broke barriers in terms of what could be done in film.

My vote goes to Star Wars since it, almost single-handedly, changed the face of Hollywood special effects and gave rebirth to the concept of epic storyline.

While Blazing Saddles was a landmark film, it came out at the only period in time (i.e., the early 1970's) when Hollywood would have even considered releasing such a movie. Nothing like it has been done since, probably because of the political firestorm that would come with it.
FF Member #1031
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Blazing Saddles because it deserves at least one vote (of course I couldn't read the results and didn't know it already had a vote) but this is easily star wars.
the lone star

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now getting around to Blazing Saddles for the first time.

This is hilarious. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you're a moderator, why you bringing back this old thread dude?
Gambit Jango

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:

I'm gonna start a fight with Barnett56

"He brought his doom on himself with his treason but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”
the lone star

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabbMcFadden wrote:

I wanted to start a new one, but I always do a google search first.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 8yrs is too png to bump a thread that's now in the wrong forum.

Please report to the Moderators' lounge for your mandatory beating.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewby, hold him up until I get there. I need to run down to Texas to get my stabbing knife back from ET's kid (Matthew Thomas Ryan).

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: