Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Programming Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: The Programming Thread Reply with quote

I figured since I'm going to be doing a lot of coding and general software development it would be a cool idea to see who else on here does the same. I know there are other posters with a programming background on here in addition to myself.

Things I figure this thread would be useful for:
- Bouncing development and/or coding ideas off other posters
- Code/HW help
- General Software Questions/Help
- Nuances of programming languages and explaining them

I'm going to be embarking on quite a few programming ventures this and next semester. Including multithreaded embedded systems for schoolwork (with C or C++....can't decide yet), an Android App for schoolwork (Java) and my own side project interacting with a webcam and other stuff (Probably in C or C++). Figured a pool or repository of computing minds would be cool to have on FF since we have dang near everything else haha.

I'll be busy but will poke my head in here for anyone with questions. Like some people ask in wayta.

#FreeAgent
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be programming a lot go to the colemak keyboard layout.

Saves you time and from getting carpal tunnel.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Simon, I even went back to eat crow you can take that out of your sig!! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Programming Thread Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I figured since I'm going to be doing a lot of coding and general software development it would be a cool idea to see who else on here does the same. I know there are other posters with a programming background on here in addition to myself.

Things I figure this thread would be useful for:
- Bouncing development and/or coding ideas off other posters
- Code/HW help
- General Software Questions/Help
- Nuances of programming languages and explaining them

I'm going to be embarking on quite a few programming ventures this and next semester. Including multithreaded embedded systems for schoolwork (with C or C++....can't decide yet), an Android App for schoolwork (Java) and my own side project interacting with a webcam and other stuff (Probably in C or C++). Figured a pool or repository of computing minds would be cool to have on FF since we have dang near everything else haha.

I'll be busy but will poke my head in here for anyone with questions. Like some people ask in wayta.

Next Mark Zuckerberg huh? Smile
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a developer working in SAP. If you want any advice on coding in SAP's language "ABAP", the best advice I can give you is "don't". Very Happy

Been wanting to get more into mobile development, but really haven't had the time. I started teaching myself some basic android stuff but got away from it. Hoping to take my career back towards .NET and web stuff soon but right now I have a stable position with good responsibility and don't want to risk it.

"Potential is French for 'currently sucks'"
Vindicatedxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I'm a developer working in SAP. If you want any advice on coding in SAP's language "ABAP", the best advice I can give you is "don't". Very Happy

Been wanting to get more into mobile development, but really haven't had the time. I started teaching myself some basic android stuff but got away from it. Hoping to take my career back towards .NET and web stuff soon but right now I have a stable position with good responsibility and don't want to risk it.

Hey you want a coding website for free to teach you html (used in websites) try this.

http://www.codecademy.com
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Hey you want a coding website for free to teach you html (used in websites) try this.

I know HTML pretty well already (did web design for 2 years), but thanks. That is a decent site.

Another good site I used for learning Android development was www.thenewboston.org

Vindicatedxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

I know HTML pretty well already (did web design for 2 years), but thanks. That is a decent site.

Another good site I used for learning Android development was www.thenewboston.org

Have you created a website for fun? I'm making Computer science my minor because coding is really interesting....and its an ART. People don't see it that way, but I appreciate it.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated in May with a double major in computer science and math. Right now, I'm only using my math degree, but there has been talk of moving me toward more programming down the road, so I'm trying to not forget everything between now and then.

My new hobby is Project Euler, which basically consists of writing little (at least so far) programs to solve big math problems. For example, problem 9 is to find a, b, and c such that a+b+c=1000 and a^2+b^2=c^2. A complete waste of time by hand, but about a three minute program to write. I'm doing everything in R so far because I love using R, but I'll probably have to branch out at some point.
http://projecteuler.net
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Have you created a website for fun? I'm making Computer science my minor because coding is really interesting....and its an ART. People don't see it that way, but I appreciate it.

I've made them for class and whatnot, but nothing on my own. Between my grad classes, internships and real job, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was do MORE coding Very Happy

And yeah, it's a lot of fun to make them. It's more than just coding, like you said -- it's a bit of an art. I really enjoyed classes on usability -- that is, understanding the psychological aspects of users, where they look/what they do/how their brains work/etc to design pages that are easiest to use. Very interesting stuff.

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I graduated in May with a double major in computer science and math. Right now, I'm only using my math degree, but there has been talk of moving me toward more programming down the road, so I'm trying to not forget everything between now and then.

Don't worry about forgetting it all. Regardless, you're going to have to get up to speed anyway. Though, coding is a lot like riding a bike -- once you understand the principles, it's just a matter of learning the language itself. You will get adjusted to whatever language you learn pretty quickly once you're working with it every day.

I did VB.NET all through college, internship and 2 years into my career. Now that I'm coding in ABAP, I forget everything about .NET Very Happy But, I'm sure if I were to go back to VB, I'd be back to where I was after about a month or so. Like literally, I don't even remember how to declare a variable right now Laughing

skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get a job offer to program in CRM, run for the hills. Laughing

I'm learning it with my new job and it's such a pain to work with.

#1 Chase Ford Fan
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing front end web development, HTML, Javascript and CSS. Which is great fun, not for all, slightly different mindset than software development which I've done before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need help in python asap

G.Harmon MLB #9
...Stop, You're Looking At Brilliance. G.G.T.G
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had to work some front end stuff on an internship earlier this year. I completely felt like a fish out of water since the only thing I did which I had experience with (and I only got to do it sometimes) was Java.

I am a little worried about forgetting stuff though. There are so many specific nuances to each programming language that I seem to forget them all if I don't use them for a while. I had to re-learn Java a bit for that job. I had to re-learn C for a summer class. Now I have to relearn C++ for another. Coding is kind of like riding a bike, but it gets to be a bummer having to look up all the functions, algorithms and specifics of the languages when you haven't used them in years.

#FreeAgent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 1 of 52

Jump to: