Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's Talk About Mafia v.2
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

It's been almost three years since we had the first thread on this topic. Again, we find ourselves in the middle of a dead time in mafia games. Last time, this thread really sparked interests in games again for a while, so hopefully this one does as well.

I think this would be a good time to discuss potential game mechanics, strategies, potential new roles, roles that we should bring over from EM, or anything about the game itself. Different forum games (I believe this last thread was the one that MathMan first mentioned his idea for a Big Brother game) wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss either. Having an open discussion where we can discuss these things without wifom (link for those unfamiliar with the term) involved should be good both for helping players develop new views and strategies as well as spurring interest again.

If you've never played mafia, but felt you might have been interested, now is the perfect time to ask some questions, get yourself acquainted, and get yourself in the next game when it comes around. Also, here's a beginner's guide to mafia, if you're interested.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue how mafia works
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Check the beginner's guide linked above. It lays out the basic game mechanics fairly simply. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's pretty easy game to understand, becoming good at it though, well that usually takes a long time.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we get another game started up soon since VCP's seemed to die before it lived.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Check the beginner's guide linked above. It lays out the basic game mechanics fairly simply. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's pretty easy game to understand, becoming good at it though, well that usually takes a long time.

Beginners guide link isn't working. I think I know how to play I just wanna check cause I'd like to participate.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
If you've never played mafia, but felt you might have been interested, now is the perfect time to ask some questions, get yourself acquainted, and get yourself in the next game when it comes around. Also, here's a beginner's guide to mafia, if you're interested.

Error 404 - Page not found!

The page you trying to reach does not exist, or has been moved.
Please use the menus or the search box to find what you are looking for.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing. I'm telling ya, it would change the game. Chatzy is so against the spirit of the game of Mafia. It actually hurts the mafia and the civs equally and it can't be controlled, it just can't. In the physical version, the mafia can't communicate with anything other than nods or pointing. Scheming and in-depth planning helps the Mafia eliminate civs easily and make a plan. It also allows for civs to pinpoint possible mafia strategies.

The Thing is the absolute PERFECT whodunnit horror because the beauty of the story of The Thing is that anybody could be it, and that anybody could turn anybody else into that same thing. It's perfect paranoia, zero trust. Absolutely NO civs would be "cleared" because anybody could get turned into The Thing at any point. Any point.

If you made up certain rules like civs had to be separated into groups, certain votes for The Thing made people susceptible to becoming assimilated... The guessing and second guessing and paranoia would turn this game from a tired formulaic game of deducing who is who and who is other and turn it into something completely different. It would become a game of containment, deductive reasoning, fearmongering, paranoia...

It's perfectly suited for The Thing because it plays on the same themes of the game. Anybody that wants to rejuvenate this game needs to go watch The Thing. And don't tell me, "I can't find it anywhere." You're on a thing called the INTERNET. Find it.

The Thing also eliminates the Chatzy element, which I think is cancerous to the integrity and spirit of the game. You start with one person, one single person that's infected. The goal is to assimilate or kill every other person. It's all about who, when and how you assimilate others.

It's perfect.

It
Is
Perfect.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Pretty simple, huh?

The link is fixed now.

You gonna play, vd?

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my biggest pet peeves with mafia recently is the seemingly "just because" vote. Promotes laziness IMO.

It got really frustrating in that string of games where I was mafia for five straight games (that fact alone was ridiculous) that half of the people that voted for me, just said "Husker because he's always scum".

After I wrote this out I realized I'll probably get a few eye rolls, but I think votes like these mean people aren't scum hunting and just popping in to drop a vote for someone that will make them look pro-town in most cases.

And I know some people use this as a scum hunting technique, like Servanto, to see how someone will react to a vote, so I'm not advocating it gets eliminated.

I guess I'm mainly saying that it gets old always being the lynch on N2, no matter what I do Laughing

skywindO2 wrote:
I'm still under the impression that the old coaching staff thought intercepting passes was against the rules.
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, reading through the other thread I saw PML posted about wanting to host a game that banned bandwagon, scum and suspicious. I think that would be a good idea.

skywindO2 wrote:
I'm still under the impression that the old coaching staff thought intercepting passes was against the rules.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played my first mafia game recently, and after I kinda got into it and started understanding the basic point, it got a bit easier.

That being said, it's nearly impossible to come in and do well as a first timer. I read the guides, I even did a bunch of other reading on strategy and such. The problem was that I legitimately wanted to be active and involved, but had no idea what to say. Then it became a double edged sword, because since I wasn't posting 30-40 times a day, whatever I did say became suspicious. Despite wanting to be active and involved, laying low and being almost completely inactive seemed to be the best way to go.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this other than to say maybe make it a bit easier for new players to join? I really don't know how, I'm no expert (yet), but it seems like you have this core of guys that play every game, a few randoms who already know what they're doing, and then a couple of first timers who leave/become inactive/get killed because they are new. Obviously this can get boring after a while.

I really enjoy the premise and look forward to joining the next mafia, but that's only because I did a lot of reading and learned from mistakes after the game was already over. If that is truly the only way to really learn and get into it then by all means ignore this post! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I played my first mafia game recently, and after I kinda got into it and started understanding the basic point, it got a bit easier.

That being said, it's nearly impossible to come in and do well as a first timer. I read the guides, I even did a bunch of other reading on strategy and such. The problem was that I legitimately wanted to be active and involved, but had no idea what to say. Then it became a double edged sword, because since I wasn't posting 30-40 times a day, whatever I did say became suspicious. Despite wanting to be active and involved, laying low and being almost completely inactive seemed to be the best way to go.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this other than to say maybe make it a bit easier for new players to join? I really don't know how, I'm no expert (yet), but it seems like you have this core of guys that play every game, a few randoms who already know what they're doing, and then a couple of first timers who leave/become inactive/get killed because they are new. Obviously this can get boring after a while.

I really enjoy the premise and look forward to joining the next mafia, but that's only because I did a lot of reading and learned from mistakes after the game was already over. If that is truly the only way to really learn and get into it then by all means ignore this post! Laughing

I know for my first time ever, I think it was scar who hosted a "newbie" game where you could only play if you had played something like less than 3 games before and the roles were relatively straight forward. It helped me a lot in getting the basics down before playing with more experienced people. Perhaps somebody should try that again? Might be more inviting to players who want to play but are turned off by the fact that they likely won't know whats going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Pretty simple, huh?

The link is fixed now.

You gonna play, vd?

Link still isn't working for me at least but does this wikihow describe the game?

http://m.wikihow.com/Play-Mafia

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Link still isn't working for me at least but does this wikihow describe the game?

You don't have flash installed, I'm assuming? It's an interactive flash site.

That link you posted is the basic idea, but for playing at home.

This wiki explains it a bit better for forum play:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Quick_Guide_to_Mafia

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
jfinley88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About Mafia v.2 Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Pretty simple, huh?

The link is fixed now.

You gonna play, vd?

It's really not hard.

You'll be given a role. You'll be mafia or civ. If mafia, you hang out in chatzy and goof around. If civ try and guess who's mafia based on what's being said. At the set times for when the "day" ends, you'll have the ability to do whatever your role says you can do. Then just wait and the dude running it will say what happened. Somebody get's lynched (based on the day votes) and then other stuff happens. It's really easier to just join and kinda watch what goes on. I've played over ten games and have never read the rules or anything of that sort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: