Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you criticize?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you tell people they are wrong?
I avoid any manner of criticism
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
I provide mostly positive feedback with some constructive criticism
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
I try to be fair but some people deserve the hammer
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
I basically crap on people 24/7
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 40

mission27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

Today I was reading a journal of psychology that said by criticizing people we activate the same short term pleasure centers as when smoking or drinking. Absolutely destroying someone with your words can feel good in the short term but tends to lead to long term regrets and consequences.

I was reminded of Dale Carnegies How to Win Friends and Influence People. In it he basically says to avoid direct criticism and praise, become self aware, and indirectly make constructive suggestions. At the same time it's never good to be a pushover and criticism can be healthy.

So my question is how often do you directly criticize others? How do you go about it and how does it make you feel? Give some examples. Is anyone off limits.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am supremely confident Taylor Swift would date me if we ever met.

#JDI
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I criticize some of my co-workers. There are a couple of them that really have no business working for this company. They were hired on as temps but allowed to stay once our company was awarded it's contract. They are nothing but call center. They answer phones (not even good at that) but can't troubleshoot any issues.

We are required to have security plus in order to keep our job. I pray every day that they don't get certified and are forced out the door. This girl went to HR on me when she overheard me criticizing her performance on the job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
Today I was reading a journal of psychology that said by criticizing people we activate the same short term pleasure centers as when smoking or drinking. Absolutely destroying someone with your words can feel good in the short term but tends to lead to long term regrets and consequences.

I was reminded of Dale Carnegies How to Win Friends and Influence People. In it he basically says to avoid direct criticism and praise, become self aware, and indirectly make constructive suggestions. At the same time it's never good to be a pushover and criticism can be healthy.

So my question is how often do you directly criticize others? How do you go about it and how does it make you feel? Give some examples. Is anyone off limits.

ugh, really? how can anyone feel good about tearing people down? That seriously makes my heart hurt.

Thanks BenderRodriguez for the sig!
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
G Harmon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very blunt , and it rubs people the wrong way. But at the end day. Most of come back and say the criticism was spot on. Im able to take hard criticism too. Most people sugar coat thinga though

G.Harmon MLB #9
...Stop, You're Looking At Brilliance. G.G.T.G
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:

ugh, really? how can anyone feel good about tearing people down? That seriously makes my heart hurt.

This is why we love you BTF....and because you root for the greatest franchise in the universe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:

Some people do deserve it, though.

mission27 wrote:
JDI is alive and well in us, the last best hope for mice and men on FF, and soon it will be alive inside all of you.

#JDI
yankee0724

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

This is why we love you BTF....and because you root for the greatest franchise in the universe

BTF is a Yankees fan?

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
BornToFly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

<3

thelawoffices wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

Some people do deserve it, though.

two wrongs will never equal a right. Esp in the act of tearing someone else down. One can always give their opinion, as it differs from another, and their reasoning, but it's never ok to make people feel like ish. And people who make others feel like that, aren't worth my time anyway. *shrugs*

BornToFly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

BTF is a Yankees fan?

uh.....negative.

jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really criticize people.

The only people who really deserve criticism in my head are those that criticize others. Or legitimately think of themselves of being on a higher pedal-stool. And also people that speak about things open for discussion in an absolute manner and isn't open to listening. And wearing tap-out. And boating shoes, for that manner. I guess I should just say follow silly trends. And also people who are proud of their negative qualities like being rude. And also most people's manner in using social media. I guess maybe I criticize people a lot? How about that irony of saying those that place themselves on a higher pedal stool deserve to be criticized and then pretty much criticizing like 8 different sub-groups, huh? I'm in a weird place.

I only mentally criticize people, because honestly, the last thing I'm looking to do is bring somebody down. Only people I've ever verbally criticized are people that have obtusely brought somebody down. I don't feel anything when I do. I just still feel bad the other dude had to go through what he did.

Last edited by jfinley88 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
yankee0724

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

BTF is a Yankees fan?

uh.....negative.

Then he lied about you rooting for the greatest franchise in the universe.

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very non-confrontational, so I rarely criticize people. I'm a big proponent of open communication and make a serious effort in all of my relationships, regardless of whether they are romantic, friendly, or professional, to emphasize that if I have a problem with what you're doing, we should talk about it openly, or vice versa, so things tend to get resolved before they have a chance to blow up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you criticize? Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
BornToFly wrote:

BTF is a Yankees fan?

uh.....negative.

Then he lied about you rooting for the greatest franchise in the universe.

no, he didn't

Smile

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion >>>>>>>>>>> so I pretty much just spread my wisdom (criticism) around as much as I can.

Just doing the world a favor to be honest.

R.I.P. Stylish
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Directly criticize? Like, "you suck"? No. 'Offering my opinion' and showing - through words and actions - a more logical alternative? Yes. Positions of authority have a responsibility to criticize, and while verbally owning someone might help stroke your own ego, it is counterproductive because it usually hurts the other more than helps them. Very, very few people deserve 'the hammer'. The is reserved for bigots or low lifes. I.E. the narrow minded, the ignorant, the racist, etc.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
Past Failures:

Last edited by NextBigThing on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: