Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8/RT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the 8x when it drops. I haven't been this excited for a phone in a looooooong time. Red, definitely snagging the red.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little snipit from the stream I referenced earlier.

Quote:
2:04PM: Once you get typing with Touch Cover, you will get it, Panay says. He says that he types about 64 words per minute. With the snap view mode, Panos is typing while he’s recording the audience. “If I’m a student in a lecture, I can capture my moment as my professor is speaking while I take notes,” Panay says. That’s a great example for why somebody would want this type of functionality

Quote:
2:07PM: Panay introduced Annie Wang, a former Harvard graduate who is writing a blog post for Her Campus on her Surface right now in Word. Now Sinofsky pops in and asks Annie to load photos to the Surface using the USB port connected to a camera. “That is really tapping into the power of the USB port,” Sinofsky says.

2:05PM: “I never want to take Touch Cover off,” Panay says. When you close Touch Cover, the device closes. Panay says that his kids fold the Touch Cover back and open the kickstand and just watch videos on their lap. “When you want seamless transitions, they just happen, just like that,” Panay says

Quote:
1:41PM: Now to the kickstand. Behind the kickstand is a microSD card slot. Panay says that he uses this feature a lot, because he travels a lot, he can store what he needs in a small little card. “For me it’s important, when I’m traveling to China, that 10+ hour flight, I can watch HD movies on that flight,” Panay says.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/live-blog-microsoft-celebrates-surface-tablet/

He also drops the surface from about ~5 feet just to show how sturdy it is.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that was cool is they said it worked with some absurd number (like, 400k or 4 Mil.. something with a 4) of peripherals without having to install anything. Just automatically can print to printers, or use external HDs, Mouses, cameras, etc.

It can even charge your phone for you.

Quote:
But if consumers flock to the Surface, it won't be because it's an alternative to the iPad. Microsoft's vision for the Surface goes well beyond the traditional tablet market. The company is betting that consumers will want to use the keyboard it's designed for the Surface to create documents, annotate pictures, and more.

And yet, the Surface, which Microsoft launched here today, isn't really a laptop either. The version that hits its New York store at 10 p.m. tonight and elsewhere at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow won't run most legacy Windows applications. And, of course, it can be used without a keyboard to surf the Web and watch videos.

"Surface is a different vision of computing than we've seen from Apple," Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg said. "Surface is a new category of device. It's Microsoft's vision of computing evolved."

That presents a challenge for Microsoft. It needs to explain to consumers why this device is better than, say, an iPad, of which Apple has sold more than 100 million units.

"Now Microsoft has to explain why different is better," Gartenberg said.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57540410-75/microsoft-surface-not-really-a-tablet-or-a-laptop/

Quote:
Microsoft: The software giant is obviously a winner here. Windows 8 and the Surface tablets can't fail as such. Microsoft can see poor sales based on its own projections and analysts forecasts, but either way it goes Microsoft will see strong uptake from PC manufacturers licensing the next-generation operating system. Why? Because PC makers don't have anything else to put on their new PCs.

Similarly, Surface has drummed up enough support from reviewers and analysts alike to suggest the tablet debut may actually dent Microsoft's partners' sales in the tablet space.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-launches-windows-8-surface-winners-and-losers-7000006403/

this was a nice round up of some of the reviews out there. I think this person did a much better job than others to actually bring relevant points from the articles.

Quote:
Internal politics aside, what did those who did review the Surface RTs think?

Most of the reviews I've read so far gave Microsoft's hardware high marks. Some reviewers didn't love the Type keyboards, claiming they were too flimsy and thin to make typing on one's lap practical. Most reviewers admitted, as Microsoft officials themselves have, that there's a learning curve for the Type keyboard, typically lasting a few days, in order to make its use practical.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-surface-rt-a-review-roundup-7000006319/

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
You are in New York, right?
I'm no where near that. Laughing Like 250 miles away.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
You are in New York, right?
I'm no where near that. Laughing Like 250 miles away.

I just looked it up - and it is only Microsoft stores for right now. You can look for one here:

http://content.microsoftstore.com/Home.aspx

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideatab/lynx-k3011/#

I would love something with that design. 16 hours of battery life is NICE. I am not super knowledgeable on tablet processors - is are dual intel atoms processors good?

Secondly:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-taichi-notebook-tablet/

WTF^^^^^ Two screens? That ish is freaking CRAZY!

Thats neat - but I would prefer it to be detachable...

Snap happy

Quote:
It comes with an 8MP camera on the back and an HD webcam facing frontwards, and HP reckons you'll get 14 hours of battery life out of it if you're lucky.

Other extras include Beats Audio enhancement and NFC for contactless data transfers and the like.

Like all the Windows 8 hardware we've seen so far, the HP Envy x2 will be available from late October, with pricing starting from Ł799 (US pricing TBC).

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/hp-joins-the-convertible-notebook-tablet-fray-with-envy-x2-1094125

Thats more like it...

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Xbox Smartglass's key features include:

Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap.
Use your phone's keyboard to type to your Xbox 360.
Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming.
Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360.
Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games.
Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators.

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-companion-updated-now-xbox-smartglass

Smart Glass is out for any of you with a xbox 360

plan9misfit wrote:

iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think those will do too well. They seem too much like a refashioned netbooks to really have a large market for them. I think devices like the Surface (I keep wanting to call it the Slate for some reason) have a much bigger market than those will. And if the two screened one really does rely on a stylus for the touchscreen side (and I'm assuming only one side is touchscreen), I don't think too many people will be happy with that either.

The atom processors are solid processors. They generally clock below similarly spec'd A-series processors (or whatever they're called) from Apple, but with it being a dual 1.8, I'd expect it to be powered enough to work just fine for at least normal usage. You'll see that exact same chip in the Asus VivoTab, Asus VivoTab Smart, HP Envy x2, HP ElitePad 900, Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx, Samsung Series 5 Slate, and the Acer Iconia W510. I'm guessing it's specifically designed with this OS in mind, so you might see a similar thing like with iOS devices, where the processor performs better because the OS is designed to work with the processor, rather than it just being a processor that works with it being thrown in. I'm not certain though, it all depends on if Microsoft baked up the OS with that chip in mind.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. They're being called convertible laptops or convertible tablets.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the Lenovo one specifically. With that, I could leave my work laptop at the office at all times, which would be nice since its huge and heavy. I could use it to post on FF.com at home, when needed, but could also use it for watching movies/playing games/etc when on the road.

Most importantly, it would be connected to my skydrive account, so I could access all my clients information/files when needed.

plan9misfit wrote:

Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be noted that all of the Surface reviews out there were done on Surfaces running windows 8 preview. The units aren't even running a final build. Not that everything will be fixed but I'm sure some will. The funny thing is that it's posted on the outside of the box with directions on how to download the official version on the 26th. I find it odd that nobody even mentioned that in their review.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow at Best Buy that's running Windows 8. Definitely interested to see how it works.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude at work got the Lenovo Yogo today. Super impressive. I'm doing everything in my power to keep my mind off of it because I really want one of the new imacs. I could get the Lenovo and a HTC 8x for the cost of an iMac however. Damn decisions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Belfiore says it is “awesomely delightful” to take a Windows Phone out of your pocket and see an update from Facebook. There are other apps as well that will be new and take advantage of live tiles, including Twitter and Skype. Skype, in particular, is always on, so it can receive a call at any time, but doesn’t run its code in the background and so doesn’t drain the battery. Belfiore rattles off a bunch of other apps, including Words with Friends, the video game Temple Run, and others, amounting to 46 of the top 50 apps on phones, he says.

Belfiore is making a big deal of Pandora, the online radio service, coming to Windows Phone in “early 2013,” and he says it will be different from implementations on other phones, including a year of free music with no ads.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/10/29/msft-win-phone-8-event-not-using-that-tired-old-metaphor/

Quote:
Back in July 2010 I posted my extensive review of Windows Phone 7 Technical Preview and have been using Windows Phone devices every day since that time. Regular readers know I have grown into quite a fan of the platform, largely because it offers a unique experience and for the most part works well for ME. Windows Phone is also the most stabile mobile OS that I have used and that reliability counts for something.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-windows-phone-8-guide-are-these-improvements-to-a-great-os-enough-7000006486/

plan9misfit wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 30 of 46

Jump to: