Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8/RT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8/RT Reply with quote

Edit (10/25/12):

With the unveiling of Windows 8 today, I figured it makes more sense to allow that conversation to happen here (similiar to the Android and Apple threads) as opposed to having this thread just for Windows Phone. Most of the windows 8 talk will start around PAGE 29 - the first 28 pages are mostly about windows phone 7.

Tablet information HERE

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=424&p=3220

http://www.wpcentral.com/?utm_source=topbar&utm_medium=topbar&utm_term=sitename

Looks pretty awesome. Anyone going to make the jump?

Biggest pros -
Slick UI
Heavy Graphics
Gaming
Links to ZUNE and XBOX LIVE
Multiple form factors and brands

Its got IPhone-like gaming and Android-like form factors.

If only it would have WebOS-like multitasking.

Last edited by Matts4313 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely going to be an improvement over the old Windows Mobile for sure.

If any phone is going to knock Blackberry off their corporate thrown, it's going to be this guy especially with the direct integration with Exchange as the back end email platform.

Still though, it's still going to be behind Android and Apple as the top 2 smart phones. However, if a decent app market, then it could be right there in the mix. I believe it ultimately comes down to the app market, it usually makes or breaks a phone in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going with the HD7 because of the awesome form factor and because T-Mobile doesn't have an android offering that's equivalent in screen size.

I can always mod it with android anyway.

"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The UI is a thing of beauty. Microsoft got the style, customization and performance one hundred percent right on this thing. It makes iOS feel old and utilitarian. Itís funny to think that Microsoft was the one to out-simplify Apple in the UI department.

Microsoft made great use of GPU acceleration throughout the OS. Scrolling, panning, zooming, everything is ridiculously smooth. The OS is so polished in this regard that almost none of the third party apps I tried seemed to clear the bar Microsoft has set. Itís

Link

A really long, and detailed review. Overall it seems realyl positive. Takes the best from all the major phone OS's. Seems like the only downsides are it being so new there are a few missing features and Apps.

The plus side is there is supposed to be an update within the next few months that fix all the major ommissions at launch (copy and paste, for example).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix

Also looks like you will be able to stream netflix to your windows phone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
It's definitely going to be an improvement over the old Windows Mobile for sure.

If any phone is going to knock Blackberry off their corporate thrown, it's going to be this guy especially with the direct integration with Exchange as the back end email platform.

Still though, it's still going to be behind Android and Apple as the top 2 smart phones. However, if a decent app market, then it could be right there in the mix. I believe it ultimately comes down to the app market, it usually makes or breaks a phone in my opinion.

Im gonna have to disagree. While entertainment is a huge business, its not the business. Because what those phones are focused are usually all entertainment. And money is what makes the world go round. Things that make your job easier to deal with such as a phone like Windows 7, its simplistic design, along with easy to use controls makes it idea for the on the go person. And entertainment is just a perk. I think you could see Windows as the standard phone for business replacing Blackberry and grow in popularity among kids, making it the most used phone in the world. Just my theory though.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
boondock wrote:

Im gonna have to disagree. While entertainment is a huge business, its not the business. Because what those phones are focused are usually all entertainment. And money is what makes the world go round. Things that make your job easier to deal with such as a phone like Windows 7, its simplistic design, along with easy to use controls makes it idea for the on the go person. And entertainment is just a perk. I think you could see Windows as the standard phone for business replacing Blackberry and grow in popularity among kids, making it the most used phone in the world. Just my theory though.

I completely agree. It will take a while to gain in popularity - but it will have like 6 devices on 3 carriers by January. Its got the graphics of an iPhone, but the business side of winmo/bb. It also appears to be getting the form factors like Andriod - HTC & Samsung are both putting out multiple phones.

Im actually really excited for it. I love my Palm Pre - but after a year and a half, im ready for a new toy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real iPhone killer has arrived!!!

That'll get the mac fan-boys all riled up.

2011 Adopt a Lion - Doug Hogue - 4 Tackles 1 FF
PSN - becoh
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might turn out to be a great phone. But the only chance it really has is to take over Blackberry. Until an app market is up and booming, the Android and iPhone markets are king.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
It might turn out to be a great phone. But the only chance it really has is to take over Blackberry. Until an app market is up and booming, the Android and iPhone markets are king.

Exactly my point. I don't think that Windows phones are going to come in over night and shake up the whole business world.

Right now, this Windows phone is probably slightly better than a BB, I'll wait until I see how an app market turns out before I crown them.

App markets run the smart phone world. Blackberry was on top 3-4 years ago, they are struggling now because they do not have any means of a decent app market. That's why you see iPhone and Android topping the list.

I'm not saying that the W7 phone will not be king in the end, but they have a long way to go before they can get there. I could easily seem them supplanting BB though in the enterprise as that's the market that they will hit first.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have almost 2k apps by the time it launches next week.

And, for the record, I think the app cataloges from apple and google are highly, highly overrated.

there's less than 20 I'd ever use, out of the 250000 apps. Most are crap and the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

Right now, this Windows phone is probably slightly better than a BB, I'll wait until I see how an app market turns out before I crown them.

Laughing

that's quite an understatement. All reviews out so far say the OS is incredible and it has an enormus financial backing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
It should have almost 2k apps by the time it launches next week.

And, for the record, I think the app cataloges from apple and google are highly, highly overrated.

there's less than 20 I'd ever use, out of the 250000 apps. Most are crap and the same thing.

It's nice to have options though. I've cycled through 10 different task manager apps, and finally found one i liked. With the Windows phone, you'd have one or two apps to choose from, if at all.

Yes, there's a lot of junk. But there's a lot of good too. Most of the time i spend on my phone is spent looking at daily comics, playing games and managing my calendar. With only 2k apps, i'd only be able to do the third, most likely.

Point is, those apps add a lot of functionality to a smart phone, when otherwise they'd just be phone/text message/email. If this new phone wants to play with the big boys, it has to have a good app market.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will need a task manager similar to andriod. You only need it on google cause the horribale memory leaks bog down the phone and drain the battery. Atleast, I've never used one on any of the other main platforms.

I do agree that having quality apps is important. And I think WP7 will have that. They already have killer games, netflix streaming, kindle reader, and other useful apps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I doubt it will need a task manager similar to andriod. You only need it on google cause the horribale memory leaks bog down the phone and drain the battery. Atleast, I've never used one on any of the other main platforms.

I do agree that having quality apps is important. And I think WP7 will have that. They already have killer games, netflix streaming, kindle reader, and other useful apps.

No no, task manager as in task lists. For keeping track of tasks i need done. Android phones don't even need task killers. It's a common misnomer caused by all of the world being raised on Windows for the most part.

I don't use a task killer. I can go 2-3 days on a charge (DX). Of course it depends on usage, but those background apps do not cause any performance issues with the phone, whatsoever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 1 of 43

Jump to: