Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Windows Phones, Tablets and Windows 8/RT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had to have a task killer on the moment, but I'm sure they've patched that by now.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic. I just clicked on that WP7 website and apparently over 12,000 developers have registered to make apps and the phone isn't even released yet.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Ironic. I just clicked on that WP7 website and apparently over 12,000 developers have registered to make apps and the phone isn't even released yet.

That doesn't surprise me. In fact, i expect that. Most dev's will want to push their apps to the Win7 phone so they can make more $$.

Matts4313 wrote:
we had to have a task killer on the moment, but I'm sure they've patched that by now.

Actually, i was thinking about this last night at 4 AM when i couldn't sleep. If anything, the Win7 phone will need the task killer more than Android phones because of the way the system operates.

I'm assuming that the Win7 phone operates like actual Windows, where background programs/apps use memory constantly (this is where i'm fuzzy, haven't read up on it). The phone only has so much memory. So eventually you'll open up so many apps, and run out of memory. When that happens, you'll have to shut down apps you're not using in order to free up memory. This is what a task killer on android does, because most apps don't have a close function.

On android, all apps stay open and running (in the background, negligable battery usage) until the user uses a task killer, or, the OS kills the app in order to free up more mem. This is done on an as needed basis, and is the better way to treat the phone. The task killers actually slow the phone down because they kill stuff that you boot right back up again.

The only time you need a task killer on android is when you have a bad app that sucks up 3G or CPU usage in the background. Those are few and far between, and i generally uninstall them when i find that out.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for some information on how WP7 will handle apps and the need for task killers. I didnt get a lot of answers. It seems that it is similiar to both Apple and Google that it will allow some apps to 'savestate', but it kills off others. It seems Microsoft is working on a way to allow 3rd party apps to run in the background, but right now they can not.

You mention a comparision to Windows. I'd suggest reading the long review I linked yesterday. It appears that this is built from the ground up and revoultionary for microsoft (not evolutionary, which is too often the case). The reviewer even says at one time that he hopes they make the next desktop operating system like the new phone os.

Anyways, I stumbled across this review as well. This one is more negative. The primary complaints are basically that the phone lacks polish of other OS's. Though most every complaint, they do note that there are updates being worked on to fix. Like any brand new product, it has some kinks.

Engadget Review

Quote:
In our original preview, we said that Windows Phone 7 didn't quite feel like a complete smartphone OS yet. We'd like to come back and report that it finally has the fit and finish of a fully realized product, but that isn't exactly the case. Don't get us wrong: there's a lot to like or even love in WP7. Microsoft has done an outstanding job with lots of aspects of this UI, particularly when it comes to navigation and ease of use -- but there are holes here as well. It still feels like the company is a good year behind market leaders right now, and though it's clear the folks in Redmond are doing everything they can to get this platform up to snuff, it's also clear that they're not there yet.

But that isn't -- and shouldn't be -- a deterrent to taking a close look at the handsets being offered. Microsoft isn't walking away from Windows Phone 7 anytime soon, and the company has created an incredibly promising base set of features to build off of. With terrific Zune and Xbox Live integration, a fast and smart method of getting around the OS, great Office and email experiences, and a genuinely beautiful and useful user interface, Microsoft has definitely laid the foundation for the next several years of its mobile play. Now it's time to get the upper floors finished.

They also make a comment in there about how having Office integrated into the phone could be the game changer in the business world... They make a similiar comment about the XBox Live intergration.

One thing that I look forward too - they mention Microsoft is working on getting full, real time gaming over WP7. They, apparently, want to replace the PSP/DS market as well.

That would be awesome.
KlassiK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^about the whole ds/psp battle, sony looks to be coming out with a psp phone running android. I think that could do what the n-gage failed to do, and dominate the mobile gaming market.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlassiK wrote:
^^about the whole ds/psp battle, sony looks to be coming out with a psp phone running android. I think that could do what the n-gage failed to do, and dominate the mobile gaming market.

I just looked, that seems awesome. I like that all MP7 can playonline against eachothe eventually. That one prob can only play against other PSP phones
KlassiK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
KlassiK wrote:

I just looked, that seems awesome. I like that all MP7 can playonline against eachothe eventually. That one prob can only play against other PSP phones

Could end up being a deal breaker. I still think it'd be awesome with the emulators though, pokemon ftw! Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How integrated is it with xbl? I have a couple nice apps that integrate with my xbl account. I can manipulate funds, check for friends online, and almost everything else. That's on a droid 2. I will have to keep an eye on these. I waited for android to evolve before I jumped in and I don't regret that one bit. I will do the same with this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlassiK wrote:
Could end up being a deal breaker. I still think it'd be awesome with the emulators though, pokemon ftw! Cool

IIRC my friend emulated Pokemon onto his iTouch a few months ago. The average person probably couldn't do it, and it wouldn't change the market at all, but it's still something to consider.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
How integrated is it with xbl? I have a couple nice apps that integrate with my xbl account. I can manipulate funds, check for friends online, and almost everything else. That's on a droid 2. I will have to keep an eye on these. I waited for android to evolve before I jumped in and I don't regret that one bit. I will do the same with this.

I cant speak from experience cause Ive never played with one (they launch next month on ATT). But, from what I understand, its supposed to be fully integrated. For example you can send a message (think a text) from your phone to anyone on your friends list in Xbox live. There are also talks that some of the 'live games' will be able to be played on your phone, and that eventually, it will be real time. So you will be able to play an XBL game against anyone in America with a Windows Phone. But, id assume that is a long time away.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlassiK wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
KlassiK wrote:

Wow - I just realized how terrible I wrote my sentence. What I meant to say is - the PSP phone looks awesome, but I bet you will only be able to play against other PSP phones. What I like about the WP7 is that you will be able to play anyone with a WP7 phone. And right now they are predicting like 4 million sold in the next couple months.
KlassiK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
KlassiK wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
KlassiK wrote:

Wow - I just realized how terrible I wrote my sentence. What I meant to say is - the PSP phone looks awesome, but I bet you will only be able to play against other PSP phones. What I like about the WP7 is that you will be able to play anyone with a WP7 phone. And right now they are predicting like 4 million sold in the next couple months.

Yea, I picked up on that but I was thinking since thinking I could just get a emulator and I'd be fine lol. I'm not a huge multiplayer dude when it comes to phones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it begins...

Quote:
Not only are they doing this internally, but Dell is setting up a service in 2 weeks to help other companies transition from RIM to alternative OS providers as well. Presumably that would Windows Phone 7, since Microsoft's Exchange system is quite widely adopted, robust and cheaper than RIM.

Dell is switching all 25k of their employees to WP7 and is offering to help other companies switch to WP7 as well. Apparently the exchange system in Windows Phone is 25% cheaper than RIM's blackberry.

Microsoft is also giving free phones to all their employees.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
and it begins...

Quote:
Not only are they doing this internally, but Dell is setting up a service in 2 weeks to help other companies transition from RIM to alternative OS providers as well. Presumably that would Windows Phone 7, since Microsoft's Exchange system is quite widely adopted, robust and cheaper than RIM.

Dell is switching all 25k of their employees to WP7 and is offering to help other companies switch to WP7 as well. Apparently the exchange system in Windows Phone is 25% cheaper than RIM's blackberry.

Microsoft is also giving free phones to all their employees.

RIM was already dying. This just further convinces me that it's happening faster.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While not written and stone and we're sure Microsoft would not want to publicly commit to such a timetable, we believe that this is probably quite accurate. If so, we can finally stop hearing about the lack of said feature as a knock against an otherwise fantastic v1.0 release. The rest of that January update is rumored to bring task-manager/hub mutlti-tasking, turn-by-turn directions, clipboard and Skydrive/OWA support.

http://www.wpcentral.com/wp7-copy-paste-available-update-matter-weeks-early-2011

Looks like multi tasking, copy and paste, GPS and all the other 'short comings' will be fixed by January.

The devices go on sale Monday. Im on Sprint, so I can not buy it until January anyways (WP7 is GSM exclusive through the rest of the year).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 2 of 45

Jump to: