Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Face Guarding a rule?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Face Guarding a rule? Reply with quote

As a Pats fan I remember back in the 06 AFC championship game a flag was thrown on Ellis Hobbs for face guarding later in the week the NFl apologized as face guarding isnt against the rules as long as there is no contact.

Two weeks in a row now once on Sunday night football and the Bills game yesterday perfect coverage the defender drapes it was Braylon Edwards both times and late flags are thrown.

Did they put this in as a rule recently or are the refs screwing up? Because even on NFL network last night on Gameday Deion said you cant faceguard a WR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all I can find in regards of Face Gaurding.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4813761_nfl-face-guarding-rules.html
shad 56

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I saw it in a game yesterday and it wasn't called. I have always been taught that it is a penalty. I would like to have a definitive answer if someone knows.
RickyG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the NFL it is TOTALLY Legal. That's why I get so upset when announcers are missed informed. If you make contact, it must be while making a play for the ball after 5 yards.
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both instances, neither corner turned around to make a play for the ball. That will be called every time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per NFL rules, face guarding was not illegal, and I don't remember that changing. In college it is against the rules. But if the defensive player is face guarding and prevents the offensive player from being able to get to the ball, there could be an penalty called, I'd have to see the plays for comment on them more precisely.

Quote:
(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

http://www.footballscrimmage.com/nfl/pass-interference.shtml

That could potentially be a reason to call face guarding depending on the placement of the defenders arm's near the receiver, but that it sketchy at best.

packerjmf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face guarding was a penalty in the NFL but was discontinued sometime around 2003 I believe.

Ok, sometime around 2000 or 2001 it seems.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4778957_nfl-rules-face-guarding.html
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Face Guarding a rule? Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
As a Pats fan I remember back in the 06 AFC championship game a flag was thrown on Ellis Hobbs for face guarding later in the week the NFl apologized as face guarding isnt against the rules as long as there is no contact.

Two weeks in a row now once on Sunday night football and the Bills game yesterday perfect coverage the defender drapes it was Braylon Edwards both times and late flags are thrown.

Did they put this in as a rule recently or are the refs screwing up? Because even on NFL network last night on Gameday Deion said you cant faceguard a WR.

Both times there was more than enough contact to throw the flag for pass interference. I don't believe face gaurding is illegal in the NFL but but it's very tough not to draw contact since the reciever is more often than not moving towards the facegaurd than away from it like in basketball.
Stacks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass interference is way to subjective and the amount of PI calls has gotten out of control. It's almost as annoying as all the roughing the QB [inappropriate/removed].
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen face guarding called in games, I completely though it was a rule. A dumb rule, but a rule.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm pretty positive it's not a rule in the NCAA.

RIP Robin Williams
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not. But you're not allowed to touch a WR unless you're making a play for the ball. You're clearly not making a play on the ball if you're faceguarding. So when the WR goes up for the ball, there's a very good chance he'll somehow come into contact with the DB. Then that's pass interference

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
In both instances, neither corner turned around to make a play for the ball. That will be called every time.

Agreed, I think the key words are turning around to make a play for the ball. They will call it if you aren't looking back at the ball and just bump into the player. If you look back they will let you have the right to the ball and make a play on it.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember debating this exact topic with a Steelers fan about the 2005 Superbowl. I was talking about how the refs made a lot of call for Pittsburgh and he rebuttled that the refs missed a 'face guarding' play made by a Seattle DB.

He lost that debate.
Nuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
I remember debating this exact topic with a Steelers fan about the 2005 Superbowl. I was talking about how the refs made a lot of call for Pittsburgh and he rebuttled that the refs missed a 'face guarding' play made by a Seattle DB.

He lost that debate.
You found someone willing to defend the officiating in that game? How do you know Mike Pereira?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: