Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Final 53-Man Roster Prediction (pg 4)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: My Final 53-Man Roster Prediction (pg 4) Reply with quote

Bored at work. This is the result. My guess at the 53-man roster based on only what I have read and educated assumptions based on past/expected future contributions. I'm usually better at this once the first couple preseason games are over:

QB:

Gabbert
Kaepernick
Driskel

Driskel has apparently impressed all offseason, and given Kaepernick's consistently shaky future and Gabbert's pending free agency, the team would be wise to make sure they have at least one QB on the roster for next year.

Others to Watch:

None. I have yet to believe Thad Lewis was ever anything more than the bar for Driskel (or whichever rookie QB was brought into camp) to either pass or not.

HB:

Hyde
Draughn
Taylor

The top two seem safe. The third halfback is the one where things get difficult (and it's REALLY hard to find space for a fourth). Given that Harris was a street free agent last year and Davis was just plain bad, I think Taylor will be given every opportunity to impress in the preseason, and I think he'll ultimately seize the opportunity.

Others to Watch:

Davis and Harris are the obvious answers here. They are competing with Taylor for likely only one roster spot.

WR:

Smith
Smelter
Patton
Ellington
Simpson

Smith and Smelter are completely safe. From there Patton and Ellington will likely be the safest bets to make the roster due to being the only two with any sort of draft investment or playing experience outside of Simpson, who will likely make the team by virtue of the occasional good plays he makes. There's just no other strong candidate to easily pass these guys.

Others to Watch:

I tried hard to keep Burbridge on the 53-man roster, but I felt with 4 tight ends, the team was likely never going to need a 6th WR. He might be a "mystery injury" candidate. The undrafted trio of White, Anderson, and Treggs would be the next likely candidates. I have heard good things about Treggs, and nothing really new about the other two.

TE:

Celek
McDonald
Bell
Miller

Celek was given a new contract, McDonald started to show life last year (and apparently is having a good camp himself), Bell showed promise as a 4th round pick last year, and Miller is just the type of all-around football player the team should never lose if they can avoid it. This is a pretty easy position to guage.

Others to Watch:

Busta Anderson made a few good plays late in last preseason. Cajuste is a favorite on the board, but I haven't heard much on him yet.

OL:

Staley
Beadles
Kilgore
Garnett
Davis
Brown
Tiller
Martin
Theus
Cooper

I had a hard time convincing myself the team should keep 10 offensive linemen, but I didn't know who to cut. Brown and Tiller would be surprisingly great backups as the 6th and 7th linemen. Marcus Martin is the only backup center. Theus and Cooper were fifth round picks this year, so either may be a great candidate to suddenly develop a "mystery injury." I also would not be surprised if you see one or both of the two suddenly taking snaps at center either to try and push Martin off the squad. With Kilgore seemingly not facing competition for the center, it's fair to question how much longer the team will want to keep trying the Martin experiment given how awful he's been when on the field.

Others to Watch:

In 2014, it would have been hard to convince me that Thomas would be cut in 2016, but it's hard to find room for him on the roster. Silberman made the team last year, so they obviously saw something they liked in the guy. Pears I'm including just because the team can't seem to move past guys like him - the average utility lineman way past his prime.

DL:

Buckner
Armstead
Dial
Dorsey
Purcell
Jerrod-Eddie

A pretty easy group to project. Only real question for me is if the team feels it's necessary to keep six DL (I believe they should) when guys like Blair and Carradine can play on the line in nickel packages. In that case, Purcell, who is mainly a NT, might be the odd man out since both Dial and Dorsey can handle that role (and appraently, Armstead and Buckner are being developed to be able to play any of the DL positions).

Others to Watch:

None for serious consideration. I'm intrigued by Darren Lake enough to be excited to see him preseason, but don't think he represents a serious contender for a roster spot.

OLB:

Brooks
Harold
Carradine
Blair

I don't know how I feel about Brooks/Harold playing 100% of the snaps, nor Carradine and Blair being the primary backups while Lynch is out of action the first four games, but in needing to make cuts down to 53 from 54, I just couldn't keep Lemonier around any longer (not that I wanted to keep him around anyway).

Others to Watch:

Lemonier is the obvious choice, but even if he made the original 53, I think he'd be the obvious choice for a release once Lynch returns. Marcus Rush was a lot of fun to watch last year, and I had pretty high hopes for Fanaika to develop as an OLB/Pass Rusher, so selfishly I'm attached to him. I don't think Rush or Fanaika represent serious threats, but could compete against each other for a practice squad spot.

ILB:

Bowman
Wilhoite
Armstrong
Hodges
Skov

The top four are obvious choices since the 2nd 3 are all competing to start at the second ILB spot, and I feel pretty good about Bowman's chances. Skov was the wildcard, but he's a decent special teams player, and he can play inside in a pinch (poorly, but it is what it is). I don't think the team needs this many linebackers, but the team can't seem to get past its infatuation with Skov. My final spot on the roster came down to Lemonier vs. Skov, and I would not be surprised to see either or neither make the team (but both will make me gag).

Others to Watch:

Nick Bellore. Wanted to keep him, but six ILBs was impossible, and he is really just a special teams ace. I preferred to keep McCray for that, and Skov isn't a bad special teams guy either.

CB:

Brock
Ward
Redmond
Robinson
Reaser
Johnson

The first four are all but guaranteed spots (Redmond having knee troubles is the only very minor question I have). Reaser seems like he's worked himself onto the roster, which makes me wonder if he was healthy last year given that he seemed clearly behind Johnson and Acker in January. I can't complain much, as he was supposed to be the most intriguing CB in our 2014 class. Johnson has been my personal favorite of that class, but it would be no surprise to see him left off the team (and catch on elsewhere). I wanted 10 DBs, and he was my 9th or 10th (depending on how I look at McCray).

Others to Watch:

Acker went from starting 13 games last year to probably missing the team. I've never seen the appeal, but I will say that a lot of bright guys on this board liked him. With Cromartie playing some safety in camp as well, he might be a guy to keep an eye on as the team obviously liked him. Chris Davis was on the roster last year, and Prince Charles Iworah had to have been drafted for some reason other than Baalke drawing a name out of a hat.

S:

Reid
Tartt
Bethea
McCray

The first three aren't going anywhere, and the obvious difference between our special teams coverage units with McCray and without McCray was pretty drastic, so he's a guy I tried really hard to keep around.

Others to Watch:

Technically none, but I'll list Cromartie a second time since I think Cromartie vs. McCray is a real battle where one will be on the team, and the other won't.

ST:

Dawson
Pinion
Nelson

Nothing to see here. Strong unit (provided age doesn't catch up to Dawson which generally isn't a problem for kickers).

Reserve/Suspended:

Aaron Lynch

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 13th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #12, Marcus Allen: 20
*Yards needed to enter Top 10: 56

Last edited by y2lamanaki on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what you have for the offense, except I think a 4th RB/6th WR will make it over a 10th OL (though your rationale was on point and 10 OL wouldn't surprise me). I'm terrified Pears will make the team. I am hoping someone else starts taking snaps at center to push Martin off (ideally Tiller because I like him and would love to see him as the primary backup at all 3 interior spots).

I agree with your point on Lemonier vs Skov, but I have Lemonier making it then being cut when Lynch comes back. Otherwise, I have what you have. Could see Davis and/or Cromartie making it. Looking like Acker is all but out of the picture

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta think that with our offense, and the speed of our offense we would keep 6 WRs. I'd make room for one by either keeping 3 TEs, or more likely one fewer oline. Since I can see 4 WRs on the field at the same time occasionally wouldn't a 6th WR be more likely to see the field on occasion than a 4th TE? With Brown, Theus and Cooper all being especially young I could see one of them geting a mysterious injury, or just honestly going to PS and hoping for the best with whichever one that is. If one of them shows potential at G maybe that puts Martin or Tiller closer to the cut line.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I gotta think that with our offense, and the speed of our offense we would keep 6 WRs. I'd make room for one by either keeping 3 TEs, or more likely one fewer oline. Since I can see 4 WRs on the field at the same time occasionally wouldn't a 6th WR be more likely to see the field on occasion than a 4th TE? With Brown, Theus and Cooper all being especially young I could see one of them geting a mysterious injury, or just honestly going to PS and hoping for the best with whichever one that is. If one of them shows potential at G maybe that puts Martin or Tiller closer to the cut line.

I struggled with the 6th WR as well. However, I don't think any of the tight ends are going to get cut, and having 4 TEs and 6 WRs is where I struggled to draw the line (would a 6th WR see more time than a Bruce Miller/Blake Bell who might also both be better special teams fits?). I wanted a 4th back, too. But I looked at who I considered the most likeliest of the cuts on offense: Mike Davis (the 4th RB), Aaron Burbridge (the 6th WR), Blake Bell (the 4th TE), and Fahn Cooper (the 10th OL), and I broke it down to - Davis was just awful last year (gone), Burbridge was a late 6th round WR who thus far has had a mostly quiet camp (gone), Bell showed some promise as a 4th rounder last year and we love tight ends (keep), Cooper is a 5th rounder this year who is likely not getting cut (keep).

However, I do think 10 OL is overkill/unnecessary. I don't see any reason to try and squeeze Tiller off the roster since he'd be a phenomenal backup option, but I noted that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone taking center snaps to try and get rid of Martin. And I also do think either Cooper or Theus are the most likely to get the "mystery injury" bug. Would make no sense for Brown (unless legitimately injured), since it's pretty obvious he'd be our top backup tackle.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, good stuff.

I'll take a closer look later on to see if I disagree with any.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acker wasn't great yet but damn hard to believe he'll be gone already
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:
Acker wasn't great yet but damn hard to believe he'll be gone already

I think he's tradable, though. We showcased him enough last year that he could fetch us a 7th, maybe even a 6th rounder. That's why I would have played him more in practice, just not to tip our hand as to whether we'd cut him or not. I think the Jimmie Ward move pretty much guaranteed we'd cut at least a very decent player, which is what Acker is, but without the upside (or unknown) of the other young guys (Johnson, Reaser, Redmond, Robinson).

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are never going to be rid of McDonald Laughing

He's going to be like Brandon Pettigrew...

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of Acker's supporters and just don't get how he has fallen so far back on the depth chart. He's listed as the 4th LCB which basically means there is little to no shot he makes the team. I guess it could mean Reaser is much better in the 2nd year of the torn ACL and guys like Robinson are the real deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I'm one of Acker's supporters and just don't get how he has fallen so far back on the depth chart. He's listed as the 4th LCB which basically means there is little to no shot he makes the team. I guess it could mean Reaser is much better in the 2nd year of the torn ACL and guys like Robinson are the real deal.

I'll be honest, if we cut Acker for nothing, it's an organizational fail. I don't get how he's fallen so quickly either - he was pretty good for stretches last year, and I definitely thought that there was a starting CB there. If he's been passed up by guys, great! But I agree with Rudy - there's no reason that this guy shouldn't have some sort of late round trade value.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I struggled with the 6th WR as well. However, I don't think any of the tight ends are going to get cut, and having 4 TEs and 6 WRs is where I struggled to draw the line (would a 6th WR see more time than a Bruce Miller/Blake Bell who might also both be better special teams fits?). I wanted a 4th back, too. But I looked at who I considered the most likeliest of the cuts on offense: Mike Davis (the 4th RB), Aaron Burbridge (the 6th WR), Blake Bell (the 4th TE), and Fahn Cooper (the 10th OL), and I broke it down to - Davis was just awful last year (gone), Burbridge was a late 6th round WR who thus far has had a mostly quiet camp (gone), Bell showed some promise as a 4th rounder last year and we love tight ends (keep), Cooper is a 5th rounder this year who is likely not getting cut (keep).

However, I do think 10 OL is overkill/unnecessary. I don't see any reason to try and squeeze Tiller off the roster since he'd be a phenomenal backup option, but I noted that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone taking center snaps to try and get rid of Martin. And I also do think either Cooper or Theus are the most likely to get the "mystery injury" bug. Would make no sense for Brown (unless legitimately injured), since it's pretty obvious he'd be our top backup tackle.

The bolded is what I'm wondering about. We have liked TEs in the past. I just don't know now. How many did Philly carry on their roster? And yeah, I've been wondering if either of the rookie OTs has been fgiven a try at C. Cooper is actually about the same height and weight as Kilgore. If Brown and Theus happen to be looking good then trying the Cooper to center experiment might be worth a try.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

The bolded is what I'm wondering about. We have liked TEs in the past. I just don't know now. How many did Philly carry on their roster? And yeah, I've been wondering if either of the rookie OTs has been fgiven a try at C. Cooper is actually about the same height and weight as Kilgore. If Brown and Theus happen to be looking good then trying the Cooper to center experiment might be worth a try.

Philly carried 3 TEs and 6 WRs, but their WRs were stronger depth-wise and their TEs (after Ertz/Celek) were not as deep as ours. So it's hard to guage that way. I know Kelly got great use out of Ertz/Celek, so he certainly does not have an aversion to the position. That's why I'm thinking when looking at the 9th guy Either of Bell/Miller seem more likely to be useful than Burbridge/White.

Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Pre-Preseason Predictions for the 53-Man Roster Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
QB:

Gabbert
Kaepernick
Driskel

No arguments here

HB:

Hyde
Draughn
Taylor

I could see us keeping a fourth back with Hyde's injury history and Chip Kelly's desire to run the ball. If so I think you could add Mike Davis to this list.

WR:

Smith
Smelter
Patton
Ellington
Simpson

I may be in the minority here, but I still have high hopes for DeAndrew White and I see him as being one of the big surprises this year. I really hope we don't keep Simpson, but it is something I could see happening.

TE:

Celek
McDonald
Bell
Miller

No arguments here. I could see us stashing Anderson on the PS.

OL:

Staley
Beadles
Kilgore
Garnett
Davis
Brown
Tiller
Martin
Theus
Cooper

The only guy on this list I question is Marcus Martin. Unfortunately he has been awful since we drafted him, but he is still very young (22), and could turn things around. If Tiller loses his starting spot to Garnett I could see him being the primary backup for all three interior line spots (If I remember correctly he's had some practice time at center in the past), which would make Martin expendable; especially if the staff like Balducci's progress and we can stash him on the PS.

DL:

Buckner
Armstead
Dial
Dorsey
Purcell
Jerrod-Eddie

No arguments although I consider Blair more of a DL guy than LB

OLB:

Brooks
Harold
Carradine
Blair

I think we'll be stuck with Lemonier for another year in addition to those you have listed. Like you said possibly just until Lynch returns.

ILB:

Bowman
Wilhoite
Armstrong
Hodges
Skov

I think we probably only keep the top four you have listed. I like Skov alright, but I feel we have many more talented players that would get the axe if we kept Skov.

CB:

Brock
Ward
Redmond
Robinson
Reaser
Johnson

No arguments.

S:

Reid
Tartt
Bethea
McCray

Like you said I think it's either McCray or Cromartie. I think the preseason will go a long way in determining if LJ is all the way back and how Cromartie has adjusted to playing safety.

ST:

Dawson
Pinion
Nelson

I absolutely hate that we have to devote a roster spot to a long snapper, but that's the way of the world I suppose.

Reserve/Suspended:

Aaron Lynch

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I'll be honest, if we cut Acker for nothing, it's an organizational fail. I don't get how he's fallen so quickly either - he was pretty good for stretches last year, and I definitely thought that there was a starting CB there. If he's been passed up by guys, great! But I agree with Rudy - there's no reason that this guy shouldn't have some sort of late round trade value.

Maybe he's not the best fit in press man scheme? I don't know, but he had the usual rookie ups and downs and that should have been expected. Acker wasn't great but didn't embarrass himself either.

A worry is not hearing Johnson's name all that much in camp. I mean the beat writers go out of their way to talk about Brock not being targeted much so it can't just be Johnson is playing great coverage. Reaser is getting more attention then the other two fellow 2014 CBs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:

Maybe he's not the best fit in press man scheme? I don't know, but he had the usual rookie ups and downs and that should have been expected. Acker wasn't great but didn't embarrass himself either.

A worry is not hearing Johnson's name all that much in camp. I mean the beat writers go out of their way to talk about Brock not being targeted much so it can't just be Johnson is playing great coverage. Reaser is getting more attention then the other two fellow 2014 CBs.

It's possible. And I don't mind if Acker has been passed up - I was impressed with him at times last year, and I think he has a future in the league, so my greater disappointment would be if we just let him go for nothing. I just don't know any way in which we can't get a late round flier pick for him. I don't mind letting him go, just get something back for him I hope.

Johnson has been the ultimate tease during his career I feel like. Overall, I think I'm going to be disappointed with his tenure when he's gone. It's all there for him and it just never seems to come together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: