Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 5 Pick #142 Overall- 49ers Select Ronald Blair, DE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Round 5 Pick #142 Overall- 49ers Select Ronald Blair, DE Reply with quote

Discuss!

Mayock said he had a 3rd round grade on him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler 2m2 minutes ago
About time. DE Ronald Blair is a top-45 player in this class IMO. Didn't test well but his tape is A+++ #49ers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this pick!

^Kempes^
Geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does he play? Are we standing him up?
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:

I don't think so, some think he is better in the inside? Possibly DE when we go to the nickel?

The draft forum really liked this pick.

Quote:
Loustradamus ‏@Loustradamus1 2m2 minutes ago
Loustradamus Retweeted Jeff Deeney
Ronald Blair: 6-2, 284, 34-inch arms, 51 games, 21 sacks & 53.5 tackles for loss. #49ers

Definitely has the arm length Baalke covets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a steal, fellas. Huge fan.

Check out my draft thread on him:

http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=572823
AMG1713

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:

I hope they don't get cute with him and just let him be an edge rusher.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:

Yes he will be an edge rusher. They will probably get him to lose weight and play around 265. Best pick of the draft so far. Even better than Buckner. Kid is a terror on the edge. Not a explosive athlete but a natural pass-rusher and will bend the corner and get to the QB. Love this pick!
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Geek wrote:

Well that's where I want him to play. And most pundits and fans have had him pegged as a pass-rushing end/3-4 OLB for awhile now. I don't see a 5-Tech when I watched his tape. Could he play 3-4 DE? With his arm length I think he could but I don't see enough power from him to be effective there against the run. I thinkhe'll have problems anchoring against the run as a base 5-Tech I think he'll start out in the nickel as a DE and they'll transition him to OLB. I see a lot of Tamba Hali in his game. I think he could do very well on the edge. I'd rather slim him down and have him get upfield than to have him try to add 10 pound and try to bull-rush interior lineman alll day. He seems like a natural penetrator, likes to get upfield. I think he fits better on the outside WITH Armstead and Buckner, not as their back-up.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this pick if not for value alone. In my eyes this guy could have easily gone in the 3rd round. I'm not sure where he lines up but what he does is disrupt offenses both in the run and pass. He's extremely active and plays with a high motor so wherever it is, DE in 3-4, OLB in 3-4, DE in nickel sets, who knows but I love these types of players and great value in the 5th.

Personally I really like the idea of having this guy slim down to around 265-270 and take Ahmad Brooks spot and role on our defense in the next couple of years. Hopefully Eli Harold continues to develop and if we can get something out of Carradine and Lemonier then I'd say our pass rushing with the addition of Buckner to what we already have in Lynch and Armstead has greatly improved. And not really in the traditional sense or thinking but with 5-6 guys that can go get the QB on any given play all having in common one thing, a high motor.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were any pick I'd bet being our biggest steal its this one! Had one of the highest SPARQ ratings and reminds me of a lot of Nkemdiche. His 40 time sucked but his other numbers are very impressive. He looks athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB but might bulk up to be a DE I cant tell.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/dl/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our best pick of the draft. He won't start but I'm excited to see him work in as a great depth player

BackfieldBlitz wrote:
Let that be a warning to the rest of the NFL
You don't give the ball back to Blaine Gabbert
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Geek wrote:

Yes he will be an edge rusher. They will probably get him to lose weight and play around 265. Best pick of the draft so far. Even better than Buckner. Kid is a terror on the edge. Not a explosive athlete but a natural pass-rusher and will bend the corner and get to the QB. Love this pick!

The only knock on him as a d-lineman is that he is slow - for a d-lineman. I don't see him moving to OLB. If you look at our DEs we were really in need there. So I think he just comes in and competes to be a backup DE to give Arik and Buckner some rest every now and then. Given how long our D might be on the field every game backup d-line guys will be important. Maybe he finally pushed TJE off the roster. Maybe this is the end of the line for Ramsey.

Maybe he moves to the inside in our nickel defense to give Arik or Buckner a rest. I just see him as a backup in a base at DE or inside in our nickel.

Last edited by big9erfan on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
Geek wrote:

Well that's where I want him to play. And most pundits and fans have had him pegged as a pass-rushing end/3-4 OLB for awhile now. I don't see a 5-Tech when I watched his tape. Could he play 3-4 DE? With his arm length I think he could but I don't see enough power from him to be effective there against the run. I thinkhe'll have problems anchoring against the run as a base 5-Tech I think he'll start out in the nickel as a DE and they'll transition him to OLB. I see a lot of Tamba Hali in his game. I think he could do very well on the edge. I'd rather slim him down and have him get upfield than to have him try to add 10 pound and try to bull-rush interior lineman alll day. He seems like a natural penetrator, likes to get upfield. I think he fits better on the outside WITH Armstead and Buckner, not as their back-up.

It's a whole lot easier to get stronger than faster. You know of many successful OLB that run nearly a 5.2 forty?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more interested in his three cone drill, 10 yard split and short shuttle than have concerns over his 40.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: