Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Positive spiral on our offseason so far
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Positive spiral on our offseason so far Reply with quote

I'm aware many of you are frustrated, disappointed and even pissed about our lack of urgency so to speak in addressing our talent deficiencies via the FA, and I would be lying in saying that I wasn't right there with you. I as well am very displeased with Baalke and this organizations FO for whatever reason apparently not willing to part with any of the money we have available, for whatever reason. The fact that we continually add players such as Ray-Ray Armstrong, Michael Wilhoite, Eric Pears, Thad Lewis and Ted Larsen (not yet but I'm sure we're close to) amongst others is so extremely frustrating for so many reasons. I truly feel as if we won't be signing anyone of note this FA period, possibly adding a couple more bottom of the barrel talent, or players that fell off with their last team. I could see RGIII once we trade Kaep but other than him and maybe Randle from Dallas nothing really to even get remotely excited about.

However I said this was a positive spin or positive spiral outlook on this offseason. Looking at our roster one thing I can say is I'm excited to finally see what we have in all the young unproven guys on our roster as they are going to be asked preform sooner rather than later with our lack of bringing in anyone to compete with them.

At WR we have so many unknowns and a couple others who for whatever reason just haven't been able to put it together on the field. I can not wait to see Smelter on the field, love his game tape from college, his physicality and size, and really do think he can be a very successful WR for us in Chip's offense. Eric Rogers at 6'4" seems to be atleast a capable red zone threat possibly even more depending on his route running and if he can separate from NFL CBs. A couple of lesser known guys who were pretty explosive in college and definitely have some shimmy in their shake routinely making people miss in college is DeAndrew White and Dres Anderson. Maybe unrealistically hopeful but I think these guys could be used in Chip's offense on short underneath routes and screen passes. Then of course we have Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton, is this the year they finally remain healthy enough to put together a solid season? Take the next step in their game to become reliable pass catchers for whoever is throwing the football? I liked both of them coming out of college but up to this point the answer has been no, I'd love for me to be wrong.

I'll put the TEs right after the WRs. I'm looking forward to finding out what we have in Blake Bell and Busta Anderson. Both have great size and athletic ability and with out a clear cut number one, or even two on our roster I think these guys will get a chance to show what they have offer. I like both of their potential, especially Anderson and his athletic ability.

At OLB I'm excited to see what we have in Eli Harold. Really liked this pick last year and love his skill set to play opposite Lynch. I think he gets ample opportunity and game time to show us what he's got. Him and Lynch taking another step forward in their game and becoming a young, formidable pass rushing duo is what I'd love to see happen towards the end of this upcoming season. Tank Carradine moving to OLB intrigues me as well as he was pick I think most of us thought was a great pick when we drafted him. Maybe losing weight and allowing him to rush standing up is what is game needs to produce like we thought he would. Maybe Marcus Rush gets some playing time? I would love to see what he has this year.

And lastly at CB, which one of our young talented guys is going to step up and claim either spot? In Acker, Reaser, Johnson, Brock and even Ward we have what I feel is atleast 3 capable up and coming CBs for our forseeable future. They have all shown flashes at one point or another but which one is going to step up. I look forward to watching this season these guys get even better this year and watching a couple of them or all of them elevate their game further.

I'm aware that all or even half of these guys becoming anything more than depth or camp bodies is unrealistically hopeful but I got to get excited about something this upcoming year. For so many years our young guys would just sit on the bench and we'd never be able to see what they can do. I understand then we had a very talented team so for them to find playing time they'd have to be more than impressive. But now that talent has left us and its these guys' turn to step up which gives me some hope. Watching some of these young guys in Chip's offense and be thrown into the fire so to speak as we have no other options at their positions and seeing some of them become possible gems or at the very least, above average starters gives me something to look forward to.

Which young guys on our team do you look forward to seeing on the field getting some quality time and who do you hope/think steps up and becomes something more than we though they'd be judging from their draft position.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of being positive...this is the most positive thing I can say about Baalke's approach to free agency:

He is currently not at all jeopardizing our chance to receive a compensation pick in 2017 for losing Alex Boone.

Yay?

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 15th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #14, Thurman Thomas: 35
*Yards needed to enter Top 10: 240
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
In the spirit of being positive...this is the most positive thing I can say about Baalke's approach to free agency:

He is currently not at all jeopardizing our chance to receive a compensation pick in 2017 for losing Alex Boone.

Yay?

We tank, get a top 5 pick next year. We sign Von and Wilkerson in 2017. Baalke for the win!

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is losing Boone a big deal to you guys, or not so much? because he is REALLY embracing being a Viking.

Boone, on playing for the Vikings: "Found out they were interested, told agent I didnt care who was involved I was going to Minnesota over everybody. This is the place to be. Coaches, organization, team, locker room it doesnt get any better.

on playing in the NFC North: Im excited to be in this division because I believe this is one of the top divisions. Growing up, the NFC North was always the toughest, meanest, nastiest guys. And I felt like I was born to be in this division and now Im excited about being in it. To play the Bears, the Lions and the Packers is going to be a lot of fun, whether its here or there. One of the reasons that you come to this division is to play smash-mouth football and have fun with it.

on Teddy Bridgewater: I can say after five minutes of meeting him, I already love him and will do everything I can to protect him. He told me he was excited I was here, and I believe him. Hes one of those guys Ive watched and hes always so calm in the storm, so to actually get to meet him and talk with him a little bit was really cool.

on blocking for Peterson: "Are you kidding me? Am I excited to block for probably the best RB in the league? Is that even a question?"

he reminds us of Jared Allen.

"Glove the one you're with."
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

is losing Boone a big deal to you guys, or not so much? because he is REALLY embracing being a Viking.

Boone, on playing for the Vikings: "Found out they were interested, told agent I didnt care who was involved I was going to Minnesota over everybody. This is the place to be. Coaches, organization, team, locker room it doesnt get any better.

on playing in the NFC North: Im excited to be in this division because I believe this is one of the top divisions. Growing up, the NFC North was always the toughest, meanest, nastiest guys. And I felt like I was born to be in this division and now Im excited about being in it. To play the Bears, the Lions and the Packers is going to be a lot of fun, whether its here or there. One of the reasons that you come to this division is to play smash-mouth football and have fun with it.

on Teddy Bridgewater: I can say after five minutes of meeting him, I already love him and will do everything I can to protect him. He told me he was excited I was here, and I believe him. Hes one of those guys Ive watched and hes always so calm in the storm, so to actually get to meet him and talk with him a little bit was really cool.

on blocking for Peterson: "Are you kidding me? Am I excited to block for probably the best RB in the league? Is that even a question?"

For the team, without a replacement, yeah, losing him is a big deal. We had one of the worst offensive lines with him, how bad is it going to be now? Laughing

For the fans? Meh. Most knew that he was likely gone. His play has regressed for a couple of years in a row, and a lot of us preferred to sign either Brooks or Osemele rather than re-sign him....we just didn't do that. He's still an above average guard, but he's not as good as he was 3 and 4 years ago. But you'll still get solid play, and I think you got him at a pretty good price.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

For the team, without a replacement, yeah, losing him is a big deal. We had one of the worst offensive lines with him, how bad is it going to be now? Laughing

For the fans? Meh. Most knew that he was likely gone. His play has regressed for a couple of years in a row, and a lot of us preferred to sign either Brooks or Osemele rather than re-sign him....we just didn't do that. He's still an above average guard, but he's not as good as he was 3 and 4 years ago. But you'll still get solid play, and I think you got him at a pretty good price.

To add to this, Boone also appeared clearly unhappy here the last two seasons following a holdout that didn't quite go his way. I think there's a strong possibility that the change of scenery, and going to a place where he's clearly excited, could mean big things for him again. Would not be surprised to see him bounce back to near Pro Bowl-level.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 15th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #14, Thurman Thomas: 35
*Yards needed to enter Top 10: 240
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guys. best of luck this year getting the 49ers back to its winning ways.

"Glove the one you're with."
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
thanks, guys. best of luck this year getting the 49ers back to its winning ways.

FWIW, I agree with y2's sentiments. Boone will be very missed by me, and so long as he is happy to play for you, he will kick arse. All the best...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much he will be missed to be honest. Supposedly the team prefers a dominant run blocker next to Staley and that wasn't Boone last year. Tiller is clearly superior in that area, but it gets interesting in what we do at RG. Do we shift Davis inside and leave Brown at RT? Keep Davis at RT and go with someone like Thomas/Pears/rookie at RG? A lot of moving parts and it will start to make more sense once we figure out where Davis ends up at.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that up in arms about losing a regressing player that thinks he's more than he's worth and already accomplished his career goal of losing a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My positive spin is a good draft will make sitting on our hands in FA irrelevant. I'm not saying Baalke is a lock to do anything good in the draft or anything, because he's obviously not, but I'd much rather hit it big in the draft than in free agency.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my positive spiral on the 49ers offseason.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another positive spin is that according to sources, of all the teams the were interested in Mark Sanchez before the Broncos got him, we weren't one of them. Which means Baalke isn't completely clueless. Although, Thad Lewis... but we didn't give anything for him, so it's alright.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My positive spin - there a bunch of young guys that have not shown they suck.
Sorry, but there is not one star on this team that Trent has drafted. I doubt there is a potential star either, but would not argue that point with anyone who thinks otherwise. But after 5 years at the helm you'd think he would have brought in a star or two, or more, from either the draft or free agency.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
My positive spin - there a bunch of young guys that have not shown they suck.
Sorry, but there is not one star on this team that Trent has drafted. I doubt there is a potential star either, but would not argue that point with anyone who thinks otherwise. But after 5 years at the helm you'd think he would have brought in a star or two, or more, from either the draft or free agency.

Only in the interest of being fair - he draft Bowman, who is a "star" at what he does, but I understand your point and would agree. There's basically Bowman, and then not a single guy I would say is top 10 at his position (not counting Bruce, because while he's definitely a top 10 FB, the positional value is so minimal a lot of teams don't even have a FB), and the closest may be Iupati, who doesn't even play for us any more.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: