Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

Quote:
Jimmie Ward was 1st-team right CB at #49ers OTAs today. He moved over to slot CB in nickel, T. Brock & D. Johnson played on perimeter.

Quote:
#49ers first day of OTAs is complete without any major injuries, though not many major players left here. Kap mimicked every snap, no throws

Quote:
49ers seem to be eyeing making Jimmie Ward a starting CB who moves inside on nickel situations; Tank Carradine looked good as an OLB.

Whoa, Ward as the starting CB on the outside? Interesting, thought he would be the starter at FS.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#49ers defense, first unit:
Front: Lynch, Armstead, Purcell, Dial, Harold
ILB: Bowman, Hodges
CB: Brock, Ward
S: Bethea, Reid

But I did read Brooks went straight to the weight room at the start of practice.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ you beat me again. lol. started a OTAs thread just a bit ago.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rookie CB Rashard Robinson also looked good. Very long and lean and stayed with receivers deep down the field.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Jimmie Ward was 1st-team right CB at #49ers OTAs today. He moved over to slot CB in nickel, T. Brock & D. Johnson played on perimeter.

Quote:
#49ers first day of OTAs is complete without any major injuries, though not many major players left here. Kap mimicked every snap, no throws

Quote:
49ers seem to be eyeing making Jimmie Ward a starting CB who moves inside on nickel situations; Tank Carradine looked good as an OLB.

Whoa, Ward as the starting CB on the outside? Interesting, thought he would be the starter at FS.

It makes sense. I mean, we only drafted 14 corners to go with the 7 that were already on the roster, so you know, it's definitely a position we needed to put another body at.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I haven't really understood this belief on the forum. Why replace Reid (who has never played CB) when he has played really well overall and his 5th year option was just picked up?

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 13th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #12, Marcus Allen: 101
*Yards needed to enter Top 10: 137
Forge

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I haven't really understood this belief on the forum. Why replace Reid (who has never played CB) when he has played really well overall and his 5th year option was just picked up?

I think the belief was that Reid would move to SS, Tartt would play that hybrid SS/LB role, and Bethea would be the odd man out. But we didn't trade Bethea, and haven't cut him, so who knows now.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I think the belief was that Reid would move to SS, Tartt would play that hybrid SS/LB role, and Bethea would be the odd man out. But we didn't trade Bethea, and haven't cut him, so who knows now.

Bingo! Had little to do with replacing Reid. Unless we are talking after the 2017 season when he becomes a FA.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
#49ers defense, first unit:
Front: Lynch, Armstead, Purcell, Dial, Harold
ILB: Bowman, Hodges
CB: Brock, Ward
S: Bethea, Reid

But I did read Brooks went straight to the weight room at the start of practice.

So we are playing a 52 defense?

Sig by El Ramster
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Ahh. Well, I don't understand that either. Why remove the depth in the one solid position we have? It's not like we're worried that the $45 million in cap room we have won't be enough. I just thought it made the most sense to keep the safeties in the roles where all 4 have been successful already. And all 4 were on the field at once last year with strong results. Made sense to keep it that way.

757-NINER

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Offseason Talk/Training Camp Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I still think Bethea is the odd man out and may lose his starting spot to Ward. I personally have always felt Ward was best at safety. He has the versatility to play anywhere in the secondary but I think you maximize his skills best as a centerfielder in base sets. But in nickel he has that Mathieu-like adaptability to line-up anywhere in the secondary and confuse the offense.

Hard to read much into the first day of OTAs but with Kelly being all in on O'Neil's press-man scheme, one would think a FS with the ability to drop down over the slot like a CB would be coveted more scheme-wise than a guy like Bethea.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrows said Trenton Brown can't really keep up with Kelly's offense right now as he isn't in good enough shape. Damn shame as he is a MUCH better option than Pears. Obviously it is very early right now, but something to watch as we get closer to TC.

Eric Rogers supposedly was a stand out yesterday. Do we have something there or is he this year's DeAndrew White?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Barrows said Trenton Brown can't really keep up with Kelly's offense right now as he isn't in good enough shape. Damn shame as he is a MUCH better option than Pears. Obviously it is very early right now, but something to watch as we get closer to TC.

Eric Rogers supposedly was a stand out yesterday. Do we have something there or is he this year's DeAndrew White?

I honestly thought we had/have something in DeAndrew White. When he was given opportunities he produced. It's a shame he got so few.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I honestly thought we had/have something in DeAndrew White. When he was given opportunities he produced. It's a shame he got so few.

I'm interested to see how White does this year. Last year was such a debacle with Tomsula in command, there was not much you could expect from White. This year will be a different story - someone has to step up. I'd love for it to be Rogers, Smelter, or Burbridge personally, as they're the three newcomers with nothing but potential at this point. Patton or Ellington winning will seem like a big loss given that they've yet to seize their opportunities, and it's highly unlikely either becomes a star. The other 3 have nothing but opportunity.

Not to suggest they will become anything in this league (though I have hope, especially for Smelter), but there's more hope there than the leftovers.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 9er news but:

#Jaguars 1st-round pick Jalen Ramsey has suffered a knee injury, source said. Characterized now as a small meniscus tear. 2nd opinion coming

would really suck for the jags for them to have another major injury to a rookie two years in a row.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 1 of 95

Jump to: