Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Offseason Strategy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packerfan84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: New Offseason Strategy Reply with quote

-Release Mike Wahle
-Release Darren Sharper
REASONING: This will loosen up a lot of cap room and allow us to pick up a few free agents.

-Re-Sign Marco Rivera
-Place the Franchise Tag on Bubba Franks (The number on a TE isn't that high)
-Extend Javon Walker and Ahman Green
-Najeh Davenport is not re-signed
-Craig Nall is not re-signed

FREE AGENCY

-Sign S Kenoy Kennedy
-Sign OLB Adalius Thomas
-Sign CB Roderick Hood

TRADING

-Green Bay Trades their 24th Overall Pick, Their 58th Overall Pick, and next years 2nd Round Draft Pick to Washington for their 9th Overall Pick, and 76th Overall Pick

DRAFT

ROUND 1 (9th Pick) - S Thomas Davis
ROUND 2 (51st Pick) - DE Justin Tuck
ROUND 3 (76th Pick) - DT CJ Mosley
ROUND 3 (89th Pick) - OT Bob Petitti
ROUND 4 (120th Pick) - RB TA McClendon
ROUND 5 (154th Pick) - WR/KR/PR Roscoe Parrish
ROUND 6 (166th Pick) - OLB Maurice Lloyd
ROUND 7 (216th Pick) - QB Bryan Randall

OFFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
QB - Brett Favre, Bryan Randall, JT O'Sullivan
RB - Ahman Green, TA McClendon, Tony Fisher
FB - William Henderson, Nick Luchey
WR - Javon Walker, Roscoe Parrish, Antonio Chatman
WR - Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson
TE - Bubba Franks, Ben Steele
LT - Chad Clifton, Brad Bedell
LG - Scott Wells, Steve Morley
C - Mike Flanagan, Grey Ruegamer
RG - Marco Rivera, FREE AGENCY
RT - Mark Tauscher, Kevin Barry

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
DE - Kabeer Gbaja Biamillia, Aaron Kampman
DE - Justin Tuck, Corey Williams, Kenny Peterson
NT - Grady Jackson, Donnell Washington
DT - Cledtius Hunt, Cullen Jenkins
WLB - Na'il Diggs, Steve Josue
MLB - Nick Barnett, Torrance Marshall
SLB - Adalius Thomas, Paris Lenon
CB - Al Harris, Roderick Hood
CB - Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas
FS - Thomas Davis, Bwaoh Jue
SS - Kennoy Kennedy, Mark Roman

-Bates opts to keep Barnett in the middle. He now has two fast pass rushers to take the pressure off the middle of our D-Line and Barnett.

What do you guys think of this?
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Only Problem I have with that is Sharper will not be released he will not loosen up enough to sign any of those FA. I think we could get Kennedy and thats about it. Nick needs to move to the outside to be used effectively.
packerfan84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a roster bonus and if we release Sharper before March 2nd we do not have to pay it. Thus, loosening up some money. And if you read what Jim Bates has to say about Barnett, he stated that he is perfectly comfortable leaving Nick in the middle as long as we have another efficient pass rusher.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharper is just to vaulabe to let go.

Nick Barnett is to light to play the middle and pass rushers do not effect squat he if he plays middle we need big DT and we only have one.
packerfan84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well first off...

Darren Sharper is NOT too valuable to let go. This coming season, he is set to be the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY in the NFL...Did you not see him play this season? He has lost a step, he can't come up on the run, he cannot tackle, he cannot even cover. Sure, he made some lightning plays this season, but thats not enough to cover for his high salary...I mean, this guy is going to get paid more that Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Brian Dawkins, Roy Williams, Lawyer Milloy...I could go on. I'm sorry but you are incorrect with your statement of Darren Sharper is too valuable to be let go, because the problem is he isnt valuable enough on this team to be contained...

Second of all, pass rushing has so much to do with our linebackers. Have you ever seen the way Jim Bates worked his defense. About 2 years ago he had 2 speed rushers in Jason Taylor and Adewale Ogunleye, some decent players in the middle and Zach Thomas...Zach Thomas by no means is a big guy. Oh by the way, last time I checked, Grady Jackson was a pretty big guy to have in the middle of our D-Line...Once again, you are off in your statements.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put. However, I must disagree. You assume that either Sharper is cut or he makes the money he does. His contract can be reworked, it happens all the time. I'd be in favor of holding onto him because Jim Bate's style of Defense favors Sharper's style of play. Slowik's did not (obviously). Also, I am vehemently against haveing a rookie starting in the Defensive Backfield, especially Safety. It is the hardest position to learn on Defense. Yes Adam Archuletta cases do happen, but they are very rare.

GB needs a Safety, a Linebacker, and a Defensive End. Unless they trade Ahman Green of Darren Sharper, it will be a combination of Free Agency and the Draft that fills these positions. I'd be in favor of getting my Defensive End through the Draft, since it is relatively not complicated in comparison to Linebacker or Safety, and rookies generally have more success at this position (Javon Kearse, Vonnie Holliday, etc.).

However, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
packerfan84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you that Sharper fits Bates' defense. However, he isnt worth the amount of money he is getting paid. Something needs to be done about that.

I think Shazor could do a good job in the starting role. He cant be worse that Roman was last season and has a hell of a lot more potential than Roman.

However, I suppose you are right, it would be easier to have a rookie DE rather than a rookie safety. I wouldn't mind signing Ronald McKinnon and Sammy Knight...and then settling for someone like Dan Cody, Matt Roth, or Justin Tuck in the draft. That would be fine by me.
SE500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it highly unlikely Green Bay moves up in this draft, more likely they move down given the opportunity but more than likely will stay put and take the player who falls to them. Crowder is my pick if he is there, otherwise Spears, either Cody, Pollack, Jones or Miller, depending on who falls. I'd like both of our 2nd round picks to remain available, a trade to move up could involve restricted Davenport.

Sharper will more than likely stay with a newly cut and restructured contract, difficult to replace two starting safeties and we do need to replace Roman. Sharper will flourish under Bates. Navies is gone and we need a starting quality DE. Crowder would allow Barnett to move to the outside.

We really need to work it out with Wahl but I'm pragmatic enough to know it's unlikely. If we do lose him I would think Rivera could be had for a reasonable dollar and we'd draft a future player while juggling the present line as suggested although I think Curtin would have a shot in the depth chart and I doubt Wells would start. I think Tauscher would move over and Barry would start before that would happen. The 5 best offensive linemen would be on the field.

Franks I'm mixed on, would be nice if he returned since we'd have to find a replacement but I'd rather this and find a way to save Wahl if it meant we had to let Rivera and Franks walk. I'm still hoping both Rivera and Wahl will be back.

We will not let Davenport simply walk, he will be signed by us or he will be traded, hope we put the second tier tag on him...
packerfan84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont see us re-signing Wahle. We have too many wholes on defense to worry about all these offensive players. And you mentioned the 5 best offensive lineman starting...Did you not watch the regular season and see how Scott Wells played??? But you believe Curtin has a shot. Wells was the one playing this season, and he played very well.

The thing about Sharper is that we might HAVE to afford to lose 2 safeties. You might think he'll flourish under Bates' system, however he is going to have to take a SIGNIFICANT pay cut to stay here.

And lastly, like the other guy said, I think we need to pick up a veteran at middle linebacker. A guy capable of grabbing this defense by the horns. We do not have a guy like that on our team right now. Middle linebacker is a position to draft in the 2nd round and let them sit behind a vet and then get some quality playing time throughout the season. I think defensive end or defensive tackle is the way we should go. Our run defense was very porous and we lacked a pass rush.

Lastly, I know all you guys love Sharper. I love Sharper too. He is one of my favorite players. However, we cannot simply afford to keep him around if he is going to play like has for the last 2 seasons.

Personally, I hope Sharper takes a nice pay cut so he can stay. I think he would do well in Bates' system, however I do not believe he will take a pay cut. He has said he doesn't want to take a pay cut, but is willing to help the team. And, wouldn't you guys love to see us pick up Sam Cowart after he is released for cheap, maybe pick up Sammy Knight and then draft Dan Cody in the first round?
paulie is king

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=green]Dude are u crazy don't release sharper. The Pack should if any thing trade him to someone for a high draft pick. They should draft QB Kyle Orton in the 2nd round. I have watched this kid for a while I think he could be the future of the Packers offense. The Packers need help at the d-line so they don't have to rely on the secondary so much. They need to start building for the future. They should keep Bubba and get rid of Nall/BJ Sander. That pick for them last year was a desaster.
Birdman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharper has already stated that he will not take a pay cut. He will only accept an extension on his existing contract. Also, I can't imagine anyone giving up an Day 1 draft pick to take on that salary for someone that is 29 years old and obviously on the back half of his career. After watching him this year, I wouldn't do it. What did he do effectively consistent this year? Top paid player at any position should at the very least be a consistent performer from game to game. I wish they could keep him but not at that price.
SE500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I watched all the games last year and many of the practices. I said Curtin could very well be part of their depth, not part of their starting five. Like Wells, part of the depth. I doubt either is ready to start any time soon, then again we could be forced into a situation as we were with Ruegemer last year.

It would be great to add a veteran middle linebacker who can play, and a veteran DE who can play, and another veteran safety who can play, and a veteran replacement for Wahl (if he goes) who can play, etc. etc. etc.
I think our cap (ranked 24th shape wise) is going to limit us to some extent.

If I had to guess (and that's all any of us can do) I would say that they will make a real effort to sign Wahl to a new contract, they will retain Sharper if at all possible, they will attempt to sign Rivera to lower $$ but if it comes down to one of the two they'll pay Wahl a reasonable amount, (far more than they'd pay Rivera) they may franchise Franks since it's a lower dollar tag for a TE but I rather doubt it, and they will sign one or two mid to lower range free agents. It sure sounds like Farve will return but if not this all changes...
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerFan84

Actually Sharper is a neccesity because if we realease him we have Roman come on Kennedy can't replace him and in your draft you have us getting Thomas Davis and then you have him a FS you must be nuts to think he fits Bates defence at all. His coverage is poor he is just like Roy Williams who should play SS in the box or OLB but not FS. Sharper is still a top ten safety he was hurt for most the season so I am sure he missed a few tackles but still was third in team tackles and led our team in INTS so I guess Al Harris can't cover. Sharper had a better season then Brain Dawkins, Lawyer Milloy, and Sean Taylor. Ed Reed is the only one who had a better year we need to re work Sharpers contract if we want to get to a better D.

They had Tim Bowens 6'4 320 oh that is small and Jeff Zgoniani 6'2 305 yeah he is small too. When I said Nick is too small to play the middle I meant weight wise not hieght and Zach Thomas is a all pro LB who has big DT to protect him. If you can read I said we have Grady Jackson who else no one Hunt is small and sucks [inappropriate/removed]. Pass Rushers have nothing I repeat nothing to do with a Middle LB at all nothing you must not watch or play football at all. Become educated about football then come talk to me.
packerfan84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright dude, I think you need to take a chill and realize what you just said. How can you possibly justify Darren Sharper having a better season than a Pro-Bowler in Brian Dawkins? And No, he is not as good as Lawyer Milloy either. These are teams that had top notch defenses. Ours was not. Darren didnt just miss a few tackles here and there, he missed a ton of tackles. He was awful in coverage and missed tackles everywhere. The only place I credit him is in his playmaking ability. You are justifying him as the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN THE NFL??? And you are calling me dumb? Sean Taylor has way more potential than Sharper and had just as good as a season, if not better. He makes people scared to run crossing routes. Sharper is very talented, but not even close to as good as he gets paid. Kennedy can be just as good as Sharper if not better with Bates, and for a hell of a lot cheaper. And leading our team in INTS and 3rd in tackles means nothing for a terrible defense.

Cledtius Hunt did not fit the defense of Bob Slowik. We are talking about an athletic 6"4 310 lb defensive tackle. And Grady is 6"2 340 lbs. If these guys are utilized correctly by Bates, Barnett will be that much more effective.

And you criticize me for not watching football? Obviously you do not keep up on what Jim Bates has been saying. First of all, if you read the newspaper you would see that Sharper is more than likely going to get cut and Im pretty sure Packers personnel know more about quality of players than you. Also, Bates is very excited about working with Cledtius and thinks he can be much more effective. By the way, yes, Zach Thomas is an All-Pro linebacker, HOWEVER he was not All-Pro until Bates and his linebacker coach (Who is now our linebacker coach) arrived in Miami.

I think its you who needs to brush up on their football knowledge.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bull Sh** Zach Thomas was a all pro before Bates came along he was a pro at Texas Tech and brought his skills to the nfl.

Wow Dawkins went to the probowl whitch means very little seeing as how the fans vote lets look at some stats and see who had the better year.

Darren Sharper Tackles-70 INTs-4

Brain Dawkins Tackles-69 INTS-4

Lawyer Milloy Tackles-61 INTS-2

Darren had the better season then Dawkins and Milloy and he was hurt for most of the year.

I think you need to brush up because Bates has said he is really excited to
have Darren Sharper in his secondary. I think Sharper missed a few less then Milloy and Dawkins did now didn't he. He will rework his contract to more years so it will work out. Sean Taylor is a good safety and will be great but he is not better then D.Sharper.

Hunt sucks get this in your mind he has to go if you are a GB fan you would know that he takes plays off and plays with no hart. Hunt will never amount to anything but a sorry player with no hart.

Maybe you don't watch football or somthing but intill you learn more about GB don't bother talking to me because I know way much more about GB football then you probably will ever know in your life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: