Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers vs Falcons GDT : Season Opener
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34769
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Steelers vs Falcons GDT : Season Opener Reply with quote

IT'S OFFICIALLY FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!!!!!!



vs

Location : Heinz Field



Last Match-up Between the Teams :

In a wild series of events, the last game between the two clubs ended in a 41-38 victory for the Falcons. Michael Vick had a caereer high 4 TD's, while Ben Roethlisberger completed over 70% of his passes for nearly 240 yards, along with two scores and no turnovers.

Pittsburgh 2010 Rookie Draft Results

Pittsburgh
1st Round - Maurkice Pouncey - C/G - Flordia

2nd Round - Jason Worilds - OLB - Virginia Tech

3rd Round - Emmanuel Sanders - WR - SMU

4th Round - Thaddeus Gibson - OLB - Ohio State

5th Round (1st selection) - Chris Scott - OT - Tennessee

5th Round (2nd selection) - Crezdon Butler - CB - Clemson

5th Round (3rd selection) - Stevenson Sylvester - LB - Utah

6th Round (1st selection) - Jonathan Dwyer - RB - Georgia Tech

6th Round (2nd selection) - Antonio Brown - WR - Central Michigan

Pittsburgh has signed signed Al Woods (4th round, New Orleans) to their practice squad

Atlanta

Round 1, pick 19c(19) LB Sean Weatherspoon

Round 3, Pick 19 (83) Corey Peters DT

Round 3, Pick 34 (98) Mike Johnson OG

Round 4, Pick 19 (117) Joe Hawley OG

Round 5, Pick 4 (135) Dominique Franks CB

Round 5, Pick 34 (165) Kerry Meier WR

Round 6, Pick 2 (171) Shann Schillinger S

Players to watch for :

From the Steelers

Rashard Mendenhall - Mendenhall is going to see a lot of action for the first quarter of the season, and he's got quite the task ahead of him. Without standout receiver Santonio Holmes in Pittsburgh any longer, and Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers offense will not be what viewers saw in the 2009 season. The 2010 season will see Mendenhall receive his first full season as the starting running back since he was drafted in the first round by the team in 2008. Mendenhall will need to have a great season if the Steelers want to make the postseason

Lawrence Timmons - Lawrence Timmons, another first round selection by the Steelers, is going into his second year as the teams other starting inside linebacker. Timmons saw some limited playing time throughout his first two years, and was drafted by Mike Tomlin and the staff as a project linebacker. Timmons is known for his athleticism, and the Steelers hoped to see that last year to help a sub-par pass coverage, but injuries hindered Timmons chances of breaking out. Timmons has been one of the most watched players on the team throughout the training camp and the pre-season, and the defense hopes that Timmons can keep that momentum going throughout the 2010 campaign.

Troy Polamalu - Pittsburgh is looking forward to having their star safety back in the line-up for 2010. After having a career year in 2008, Troy Polamalu graced the cover of the 2010 Madden cover, only to receive the rumored "curse" himself. Polamalu missed 11 game out of the 2009 campaign, and the Steelers pass defense suffered immensely. Pittsburgh looks to have the all-purpose safety back in the line-up in 2010.

From The Falcons

John Abraham - Abraham, who is in his 11th year in the NFL, is possibly the number one defensive player from the Falcons that the Steelers must look out for. Abraham has been known as one of the best defensive ends in the 4-3 defense in the league for the past decade, posting at least 10 sacks a season in six of the 10 seasons he's been in the league. Pittsburgh left tackle Max Starks is going to have quite the challenge on his hands as he will face Abraham one-on-one all Sunday afternoon.

Curtis Lofton - The Falcons middle linebacker assumed the role as the team's starter as a rookie, and Atlanta hasn't looked back on the decision. Lofton has become one of the top linebackers who is well known for his ability to make plays both in the run defense and pass defense. If Atlanta wants to leave Pittsburgh with a win, they are going to need Lofton to make big plays.

Peria Jerry - Another key factor for defeating Pittsburgh is rushing Dennis Dixon, who is going to get his second career start due to the suspension of Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry, who was a 2009 first round pick for the Falcons, will have to assume the role as the pass rushing defensive tackle for the Falcons, because fellow defensive lineman Jonathan Babineaux has been suspended from the contest due to steroid usage. Jerry, who missed the 2009 campaign due to injury, will see his first official NFL action Sunday in Pittsburgh. Atlanta hopes to see Jerry exploit the weak interior offensive line of the Steelers and cause havoc for the inexperienced Dennis Dixon.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbelan2343


Joined: 09 Sep 2007
Posts: 9167
Location: Steeler's Nation - On the Stairway to Seven
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom. There it is, the first official GDT of the year. Nice write up SS29
_________________
Irish 11 wrote:
If the Ravens were playing Al Qaida, I'd be all "Go Osama!"
flyers0909 wrote:
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bbelan2343


Joined: 09 Sep 2007
Posts: 9167
Location: Steeler's Nation - On the Stairway to Seven
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post I threw up in the Falcon's forum GDT..

bbelan2343 wrote:
Really pumped about the opener. Both teams coming out trying to redeem sub-par 09' seasons and jump on the winning path week one. This game could turn out to be a huge momentum push to start the season for the winner.


A few match ups that I'm looking at coming into the game..

Steelers Front 7 vs Falcons Protection Unit: Expect mashing of the teeth all game with lot of big match ups going toe-to-toe Sunday. Smith vs Dahl, Harrison vs Baker, Woodley vs Clabo, Keisel vs Blalock. Running the ball is going to be an all out war. Farrior and Timmons are going to have their hands full with Mughelli, who I feel is greatly under-appreciated throughout the league. I'm expecting to see some huge collisions up the middle.. I give the Steelers a fair edge mainly because of the forces they have on the outside in Harrison and Woodley. The two aren't just two of the top pass rushing backers in the league, but are an overall force when it comes to stopping the run and containing the edge.

Matt Ryan vs Richard Lebeau: Ryan has never seen a base defense like the one he's about to see Sunday against Rich Lebeau's ZBS. Defensive fronts, knowing where the 4th or 5th man is coming from and at game speed, knowing when and where to get the ball out safely are all in-game adjustments Ryan's going to have to make. And a healthy Steeler defense, is a scary Steeler defense. If they come out clicking on all cylinders, I don't see Matt Ryan having much success on 1st or 2nd down. His biggest plays of the game are going to come at crunch moments on 3rd down conversion attempts.

Rashard Mendenhall vs Falcons Rush Defense: I think it's fair to presume that Mendenhall is going to get 20+ touches on Sunday with Dennis Dixon starting. With Babineaux out, it's a relief for Steeler fans, but there is still plenty of play-making ability in this formidable Falcons front 7. With Lofton, Jerry, Peters and Spoon, this front 7 could cause problems for the Steelers trying to establish the run. The winner of this battle could present the winner of the game.

Prediction: 17-10 Steelers

How do I go through this entire post, pick the Steelers to win and not mention #43 at all? Laughing


Injury Report
_________________
Irish 11 wrote:
If the Ravens were playing Al Qaida, I'd be all "Go Osama!"
flyers0909 wrote:
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6887
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbelan2343 wrote:
Boom. There it is, the first official GDT of the year. Nice write up SS29


Agreed SC29 you have me even more pumped up!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6887
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbelan2343 wrote:
Here's a post I threw up in the Falcon's forum GDT..

bbelan2343 wrote:
Really pumped about the opener. Both teams coming out trying to redeem sub-par 09' seasons and jump on the winning path week one. This game could turn out to be a huge momentum push to start the season for the winner.


A few match ups that I'm looking at coming into the game..

Steelers Front 7 vs Falcons Protection Unit: Expect mashing of the teeth all game with lot of big match ups going toe-to-toe Sunday. Smith vs Dahl, Harrison vs Baker, Woodley vs Clabo, Keisel vs Blalock. Running the ball is going to be an all out war. Farrior and Timmons are going to have their hands full with Mughelli, who I feel is greatly under-appreciated throughout the league. I'm expecting to see some huge collisions up the middle.. I give the Steelers a fair edge mainly because of the forces they have on the outside in Harrison and Woodley. The two aren't just two of the top pass rushing backers in the league, but are an overall force when it comes to stopping the run and containing the edge.

Matt Ryan vs Richard Lebeau: Ryan has never seen a base defense like the one he's about to see Sunday against Rich Lebeau's ZBS. Defensive fronts, knowing where the 4th or 5th man is coming from and at game speed, knowing when and where to get the ball out safely are all in-game adjustments Ryan's going to have to make. And a healthy Steeler defense, is a scary Steeler defense. If they come out clicking on all cylinders, I don't see Matt Ryan having much success on 1st or 2nd down. His biggest plays of the game are going to come at crunch moments on 3rd down conversion attempts.

Rashard Mendenhall vs Falcons Rush Defense: I think it's fair to presume that Mendenhall is going to get 20+ touches on Sunday with Dennis Dixon starting. With Babineaux out, it's a relief for Steeler fans, but there is still plenty of play-making ability in this formidable Falcons front 7. With Lofton, Jerry, Peters and Spoon, this front 7 could cause problems for the Steelers trying to establish the run. The winner of this battle could present the winner of the game.

Prediction: 17-10 Steelers

How do I go through this entire post, pick the Steelers to win and not mention #43 at all? Laughing


Injury Report


Nice write up!!!
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stillersenat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 10801
Location: In over my head.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game on! From what I'm gathering, the Falcons are 2 point favorites in this game.

What is that about the Steelers and adversity?
_________________


Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StillersFury


Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 3965
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[LINK REMOVED]

I found this pre game to be very interesting despite the author Cool
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbelan2343


Joined: 09 Sep 2007
Posts: 9167
Location: Steeler's Nation - On the Stairway to Seven
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Casey Hampton gets fat retard strong when he's pissed off"

Classic.

Loved the write up SF. Good to see you around the boards again.
_________________
Irish 11 wrote:
If the Ravens were playing Al Qaida, I'd be all "Go Osama!"
flyers0909 wrote:
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6887
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_698376.html

Quote:
Former undrafted free agent Isaac Redman, who opened eyes when he excelled in the goal-line drill at training camp in 2009, will get the first shot to fill the role of short-yardage back. "We are going to give him the opportunity to see if he can excel," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

The roles for the running backs appear to be set, with the Steelers opening the regular season Sunday at Heinz Field. Rashard Mendenhall will start against the Falcons and also serve as the third-down back. Backup Mewelde Moore will spell him. Redman, who graduated from the practice squad to the 53-man roster, will be asked to grind out the tough yards when the Steelers need them most. "He's been very good in that area in the two-plus years he has been here," Tomlin said, "largely in preseason."


Tomlin hinted that rookie wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown will battle this week in practice for a spot on the active roster Sunday. "Competition is the truest motivator," Tomlin said. "I'm going to hold my cards 'til the latter part of the week and keep those guys guessing a little bit." If Brown plays against the Falcons, he will return kickoffs and punts. If he is inactive for the 1 p.m. game, Moore will return kickoffs and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El will return punts.


Jeff Reed will handle kickoffs against the Falcons, Tomlin said. The Steelers gave punter Daniel Sepulveda an extended look in that capacity during the preseason.

A few answers to some questions we have.
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24348
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad Vick isn't around anymore!!!

We were 0-1-1 against Vick.... made for some crazy exciting games but the Falcons have been a thorn in our side in an otherwise successful run against most of the NFC.

Should be a good game, curious to see how our defense plays for 60 minutes, and how Mendenhall plays this year. Time for him to be the man!!!

Hopefully no team has any injuries!
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49033
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
I'm just glad Vick isn't around anymore!!!

We were 0-1-1 against Vick.... made for some crazy exciting games but the Falcons have been a thorn in our side in an otherwise successful run against most of the NFC.

Should be a good game, curious to see how our defense plays for 60 minutes, and how Mendenhall plays this year. Time for him to be the man!!!

Hopefully no team has any injuries!


Ehh...I remember the game back in 06.

Crazy good game. Ben was just starting to get his groove back and got a concussion. Batch came in and played very well. Hines Ward punked DeAngelo Hall and outran him with one shoe on to the end zone. I remember the game was tied and I had to leave for work. When I got there I called my girlfriend at the time and she told me the Steelers lost.

Needless to say, I didnt want to work after that.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24348
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Facebook...
Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers Wednesday's injury report: PIT: QB Byron Leftwich (knee) did not practice. ATL: starting WR Michael Jenkins (shoulder) did not practice; starting CB Brent Grimes (hip) was limited.

_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelTom


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 1451
Location: England
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
I'm just glad Vick isn't around anymore!!!

We were 0-1-1 against Vick.... made for some crazy exciting games but the Falcons have been a thorn in our side in an otherwise successful run against most of the NFC.

Should be a good game, curious to see how our defense plays for 60 minutes, and how Mendenhall plays this year. Time for him to be the man!!!

Hopefully no team has any injuries!


Ehh...I remember the game back in 06.

Crazy good game. Ben was just starting to get his groove back and got a concussion. Batch came in and played very well. Hines Ward punked DeAngelo Hall and outran him with one shoe on to the end zone. I remember the game was tied and I had to leave for work. When I got there I called my girlfriend at the time and she told me the Steelers lost.

Needless to say, I didnt want to work after that.


We were in field goal range to take the game when it was tied, like 30 seconds left and Nate Washington false started to run the game clock down and push us out of range. Freakin' idiot, never liked him since then, that was one of the first Steelers games I watched.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RandomHero


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 8177
Location: Chesham
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how excited I am Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34769
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
bbelan2343 wrote:
Boom. There it is, the first official GDT of the year. Nice write up SS29


Agreed SC29 you have me even more pumped up!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!


You want Pumped!? ILL GIVE YOU PUMPED UP!

BATTERY!!!
THIS DAY WE FIGHT!
RAINING BLOOD!!!!



BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group