Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The signature mess

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Signature and Avatar Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Webmaster


Site Admin
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 8032
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: The signature mess Reply with quote

There are starting to become a lot of problems with signatures.

1. Many people still don't follow the signature rules. It's quite a hassle reminding people of them and removing their sigs that don't meet the guidelines.

2. This whole 300 post thing is a bad policy. Obviously as the person who is making the sigs you can determine who you make a signature for. However, a blanket rule of 300 posts is bad for many reasons.

First who cares how many posts a person has. I understand you only want to make sigs for people who are going to stick around the forums. I applaud you for that effort, however post count isn't the way to do that.

We have members who post 300 posts in a week and are horrible contributors. Then we have members who have been here a year and have 200 posts that are great.

Finally the worst part about the post count policy is that it creates bad posts. Many immature members are now posting just to get a sig. Most of their posts are one or two words. Worst case we have had a couple of members post "test" or "yeah" over and over again.

So lets enforce the sig guidelines and do away with any post minimums. You can use posts or date registered as a guide to who you decide to make a sig for, however more importantly check out a members post history to see their total contribution to the site.

If the sig guidelines aren't followed and the garbage posts continue I will remove sigs. If you see someone who isn't following the sig guidelines, please contact a mod.


Last edited by Webmaster on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrew91


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 4721
Location: With Waldo. Come Find us.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, we had agreed upon it(artists) but maybe it is a little strict. Basically, we dont want to make things for people who have yet to prove their value/loyalty to the community. THe problem is, there is no tangible way of measuring this. And without a uniform policy, people get confused. The requestors post in someone who does not make signatures for a poster of their stature, and wonders why artist X does not make things for them, while artist y does. THere needs to be some sort of uniform code, other wise things will be an even bigger mess than they already are.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
golf333333


Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10010
Location: Mpls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something about the amount of time they have been here and a quick look into the quality of their posts?

I see where you are coming from though webby, some people I've seen have just posted like 60-70 times a day just to try and reach a number. I guess a lot of people start out like that, thinking that quantity is greater than quality (myself initially included) but usually they come around, thats why I think a time period, and a post quality check by the artist would be a good idea.
_________________
golf333333 wrote:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TTitanFAN32


FF Fanatic
Joined: 13 Jan 2006
Posts: 12944
Location: 6*1*8, Illinois
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
Maybe something about the amount of time they have been here and a quick look into the quality of their posts?

I see where you are coming from though webby, some people I've seen have just posted like 60-70 times a day just to try and reach a number. I guess a lot of people start out like that, thinking that quantity is greater than quality (myself initially included) but usually they come around, thats why I think a time period, and a post quality check by the artist would be a good idea.


thats a good idea..........its not getting into peoples heads anyway that you have to have 300 posts or for some peoples requests (100 posts) because they will ask for one anyway and expect to have it made for them
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
golf333333


Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10010
Location: Mpls
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other comments on my idea?
_________________
golf333333 wrote:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardrockin89


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1298
Location: lincoln, RI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The signature mess Reply with quote

Webmaster wrote:
There are starting to become a lot of problems with signatures.

1. Many people still don't follow the signature rules. It's quite a hassle reminding people of them and removing their sigs that don't meet the guidelines.

2. This whole 300 post thing is a bad policy. Obviously as the person who is making the sigs you can determine who you make a signature for. However, a blanket rule of 300 posts is bad for many reasons.

First who cares how many posts a person has. I understand you only want to make sigs for people who are going to stick around the forums. I applaud you for that effort, however post count isn't the way to do that.

We have members who post 300 posts in a week and are horrible contributors. Then we have members who have been here a year and have 200 posts that are great.

Finally the worst part about the post count policy is that it creates bad posts. Many immature members are now posting just to get a sig. Most of their posts are one or two words. Worst case we have had a couple of members post "test" or "yeah" over and over again.

So lets enforce the sig guidelines and do away with any post minimums. You can use posts or date registered as a guide to who you decide to make a sig for, however more importantly check out a members post history to see their total contribution to the site.

If the sig guidelines aren't followed and the garbage posts continue I will remove sigs. So make sure you continue to let everyone know.



Ive said this since the beginng and some sig makers tottaly cused me out...
_________________


Thanx Butters1075 for the sig..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
golf333333


Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10010
Location: Mpls
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

What are you trying to say and when and who did you say this to
_________________
golf333333 wrote:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardrockin89


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1298
Location: lincoln, RI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
^

What are you trying to say and when and who did you say this to


I ment to say chewed out...Golf go back and read the sig thread..I was here for 2weeks and had like 90posts(quality posts) and asked for a sig...Every1 except butters chewed me out...Then when he made me the sig other artists chewed him out.. Other posters who are new and ask for a sig are chewed out...Posts noumber isnt everything...Theres guys here over 1500posts and they stink....Others have like 150posts and are better then some of the vets we have here...I think people need to chill out alittle bit!
_________________


Thanx Butters1075 for the sig..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
golf333333


Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10010
Location: Mpls
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did i chew you out? and if i did im sorry...
_________________
golf333333 wrote:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Webmaster


Site Admin
Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 8032
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps happening.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5895

You better make it very clear that doing this will result in a ban. This better not keep happening or I will just pull the plug on sigs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardrockin89


Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 1298
Location: lincoln, RI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
where did i chew you out? and if i did im sorry...


Golf you didnt personally...Alot of other guys did but im not posting names...
_________________


Thanx Butters1075 for the sig..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Signature and Avatar Help All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group