Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rivers Buzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superchargers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Rivers Buzz Reply with quote

Why isn't there a bigger buzz about teams trying to aquire Phillip Rivers? He's definitely a better QB than Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers plus he has a year of NFL study under his belt. Nonetheless, the 49ers or some other team is probably going to use a top 10 draft pick on Smith or Rogers. Is Rivers not worth a top ten pick in a trade?

Imagine this Charger fans..Rivers is traded to SF/Mia/Cle for their first round pick. Chargers use that pick on Mike Williams. Chargers then draft Alex Barron at #12, Shaun Cody at #28, and a good FS like Butler from GT in round 2. Or same scenario, but we trade #12 & #28 to trade down and get Derrick Johnson. Can you say Super Bowl? I know it's a stretch but these are the things I like to think about.

My other question is can we even legitimately deal Rivers or is there a no trade clause in his contract?
boltfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great thought, something I think about as well. I think AJ and Marty want to make sure Brees is the answer. They are not in a hurry to trade Rivers and the cap hit we would take. We have 2 firsts this year, if Brees plays well Rivers will be traded with another preseason and maybe some garbage time under his belt.
GulfBayWarriors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but i guess Rivers isnt worth it in there minds. I like the idea.
mutnchop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Rivers Buzz Reply with quote

The cap hit to trade Rivers is too large to consider until next year. So it will either be Brees and Rivers or Rivers and Flutie next year.

Therefore, unless someone offers the 2 #1 picks for Brees, we are going to see Drew as our #1 and Rivers will get the backup job.

A Bolt Fan in Harrisburg,
mutnchop
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling now is both will be back...Drew is tagged and Rivers can be worked this coming year to made more trade attractive at less of a cap hit. Still, if someone offers a deal we can't refuse, nothing is written in stone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: