Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Comic Books Thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrILL!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Comic Books Thread! Reply with quote

I'm not sure how many comic book fans we have here on FF but I thought it was time we had a thread dedicated to greatest print medium of all time: COMIC BOOKS!

Whether you're a Marvel zombie, DC diehard, Image, Dark Horse, or any other fan, feel free to let us know what books you're enjoying now. What upcoming adaptations are you looking forward to or hoping would come to fruition? Anybody draw comics themselves? Post some art!

Let's start with what are your favorites?

Favorite current series: Siege, New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Powers, Invincible, Avengers Initiative, Image United

Favorite comic book all-time: Powers

Favorite writers: Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, Robert Kirkman

Favorite artists: Steve McNiven, Jim Cheung, Ed McGuinness, Oliver Coipel, Jason Pearson, Jonboy Meyers, Chris Bachalo, John Romita, Jr, Bryan Hitch, Skottie Young

Favorite mini-series/ story arcs all-time: House of M, Watchmen, Avengers: Illuminati, Wolverine: Enemy Of The State/ Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

You Already Know ... This Is What I Do
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comic fans out there that aren't reading "The Unwritten" by Mike Carey right now need to get caught up. It's one of the best things going on right now.

Other current faves that are on my pull-list:

Morrison's Batman & Robin
Batgirl, Red Robin, Streets of Gotham, and Gotham City Sirens
Blackest Night, Green Lantern, and Green Lantern Corps

As far as Marvel goes:
Siege #2 was excellent and Invicible Iron Man has been good from the beginning. The best Iron Man has possibly ever been.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been a fan of the X-Men in awhile bcuz it's all over the place, but I bought the issues that Bachalo drew a couple years ago where the Shi'ar deathsquad killed the Grey family. Mike Carey wrote those and I really liked the writing. I'm not a fan of Fraction's X-Men whatsoever so I stay far away from it. Is "The Unwritten" a creator-owned by Carey?

I re-read Siege #2 at lunch today and this series is shaping up to be legendary. The art from the Ares-Sentry fight scene was phenomenal and I loved the last page seeing the reflection of Cap's shield getting closer on Iron Patriot's helmet.

Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Is "The Unwritten" a creator-owned by Carey?

Yep. It's completely original and I think it's only 8-9 issues in. The first trade JUST came out for it.

It's about a Harry Potter-esque cult fandom and the line between fiction and reality. But it's much better than that sounds. It's very smart, mature, funny, and fast-paced.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:

Uncle Buck wrote:
Iggles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrillhouse wrote:
Any comic fans out there that aren't reading "The Unwritten" by Mike Carey right now need to get caught up. It's one of the best things going on right now.

It's really terrific. I figured out about halfway through issue nine where Carey was going, but that finale was still awesome. It's rock-solid for such a new book.

Favorite Current Series: Fables, The Unwritten, Sweet Tooth, The Sword, The Umbrella Academy, Ex Machina, The Zombies That Ate the World, Chew, Scalped, Unknown Soldier, The Chronicles of Wormwood, BPRD, Hellboy, The Walking Dead, and I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch

Favorite Limited Series (Current): Demo, Siege, Daytripper, Cinderella, Red Mass for Mars, Johnny Hiro: Half Asian, All Hero, and Pax Romana

Favorite Series of All Time: Y: The Last Man

Favorite Writers: Brian K. Vaughan, David Lapham, Brian Wood, Jonathan Hickman, Mike Carey, Robert Kirkman, Warren Ellis, Rob Schrab, Mike Mignola, Becky Cloonan, Bill Willingham, Gerard Way, Jeph Loeb, Paul Pope, and quite a few others

Favorite Artists: Pia Guera, David Lapham, Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba, Juan Jose Ryp, Bryan Hitch, Mike Mignola, Niko Henrichon, Tony Harris, Adrian Adolpha, Becky Cloonan, and plenty of others

Favorite Limited Series (All Time): Watchmen, Batman: The Long Halloween, Heavy Liquid, Pride of Baghdad
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
Ex Machina

Way underrated. I can't wait to see what Brian K. Vaughn has up his sleeve next. Well, after that "knights of the roundtable" movie that he wrote finally comes out.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:

Uncle Buck wrote:
Iggles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrillhouse wrote:
Iggles wrote:
Ex Machina

Way underrated. I can't wait to see what Brian K. Vaughn has up his sleeve next. Well, after that "knights of the roundtable" movie that he wrote finally comes out.

I don't see how arguably the best current comic could be regarded as anything less than it is. I re-read the series, and its plot is sculpted so darn perfectly. It all fits together.

Literally the first few panels of the first issue can and do correlate to issues written four years later. It's incredible.

I hope Vaughan ends on a mildly happy note. After that gut-punch in Y:TLM 58 I don't hold out much hope, though.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
Favorite Limited Series (Current): Daytripper

I was reading about this series in Comic Shop News recently and the layouts and art look astounding in this series. I'll prolly have to wait for the trade since the 1st couple issues will be difficult to track down.

Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Iggles wrote:

I was reading about this series in Comic Shop News recently and the layouts and art look astounding in this series. I'll prolly have to wait for the trade since the 1st couple issues will be difficult to track down.

I'd wait for the trade anyway if you're not in a huge hurry. Vertigo is notorious for putting out trades at well below the $3 an issue average. I think it's a ten-issue run, but in all likelihood the trade'll be $20.

And yeah, as far as the art goes it's pretty amazing. It's written by an accomplished artist who clearly understands visual composition, and then drawn by another talented artist, and the results are pretty excellent.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Iggles wrote:

I'd wait for the trade anyway if you're not in a huge hurry. Vertigo is notorious for putting out trades at well below the $3 an issue average. I think it's a ten-issue run, but in all likelihood the trade'll be $20.

And yeah, as far as the art goes it's pretty amazing. It's written by an accomplished artist who clearly understands visual composition, and then drawn by another talented artist, and the results are pretty excellent.

They're actually brothers from Brazil. In the article they talked how they rotate who writes and draws for each project.

john_moser1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pick up every Batman title (Gotham city title I should say) and Green Lantern. Batman & Robin is my favorite right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Iggles wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Iggles wrote:

They're actually brothers from Brazil. In the article they talked how they rotate who writes and draws for each project.

Didn't know Ba and Moon were twins. It's not a huge shock, but I just never drew the correlation. They're both Brazilian, but with different last names I just never knew.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't picked up a Comic in a LONG time. Favorites are Batman: The Long Halloween and Spawn.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Johnston talks about The First Avenger: Captain America

http://www.newsarama.com/film/captain-america-joe-johnston-100208.html

Quote:
What little is known about "The First Avenger: Captain America" is that it will be set in World War II, around the time of Pearl Harbor. Johnston told Newsarama that he is well aware of the potential risk in shooting a big-budget comic book period piece, but believes it's a story the fans will appreciate seeing unfold onscreen.

"You couldn't do a modern-day Captain America," Johnston said, "and then go back and tell the World War II origin story."

The film will be bookended with scenes set in the present day that presumably will set the stage for "The Avengers" movie.

"That's the way this story ends. [Cap] is...at the end of this film, he's been brought back and been unfrozen, revived and he is definitely a fish out of water. He's a 1942 guy in 2012...it's going to be a lot of fun."

Johnston said the plot of "Captain America" will focus on young, frail Steve Rogers, and the journey he undertakes when he volunteers for the top-secret super-soldier project.

"The cool thing about him is what happens...to a guy who starts as a 98-pound weakling and then, five minutes later, is the perfect human specimen? What does that do to his psyche? That's the cool sort of subplot to the whole thing."

Sounds promising and hopefully will be reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan with the bookends. I'm just hoping they cast Jon Hamm as Steve Rogers. If they follow the opening of the Ultimate Avengers DVD (but extend it of course), then this should be epic.

I haven't read Cap in years and I've heard how great Brubaker's run is. The fact that he actually pulled off the Winter Soldier story is amazing (just keep Ed off Spide so he can't being back Uncle Ben! LoL). Rogers showed up at the end of Siege #1 and we all knew he'd be back, but how did it happen. I missed the first issue and subsequent issues of Brubaker and Hitch's mini which explains it. Was he time-hopping? How? Cosmic Cube?Aku? Sam and Al?

Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Joe Johnston talks about The First Avenger: Captain America

http://www.newsarama.com/film/captain-america-joe-johnston-100208.html

Quote:
What little is known about "The First Avenger: Captain America" is that it will be set in World War II, around the time of Pearl Harbor. Johnston told Newsarama that he is well aware of the potential risk in shooting a big-budget comic book period piece, but believes it's a story the fans will appreciate seeing unfold onscreen.

"You couldn't do a modern-day Captain America," Johnston said, "and then go back and tell the World War II origin story."

The film will be bookended with scenes set in the present day that presumably will set the stage for "The Avengers" movie.

"That's the way this story ends. [Cap] is...at the end of this film, he's been brought back and been unfrozen, revived and he is definitely a fish out of water. He's a 1942 guy in 2012...it's going to be a lot of fun."

Johnston said the plot of "Captain America" will focus on young, frail Steve Rogers, and the journey he undertakes when he volunteers for the top-secret super-soldier project.

"The cool thing about him is what happens...to a guy who starts as a 98-pound weakling and then, five minutes later, is the perfect human specimen? What does that do to his psyche? That's the cool sort of subplot to the whole thing."

Sounds promising and hopefully will be reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan with the bookends. I'm just hoping they cast Jon Hamm as Steve Rogers. If they follow the opening of the Ultimate Avengers DVD (but extend it of course), then this should be epic.

I haven't read Cap in years and I've heard how great Brubaker's run is. The fact that he actually pulled off the Winter Soldier story is amazing (just keep Ed off Spide so he can't being back Uncle Ben! LoL). Rogers showed up at the end of Siege #1 and we all knew he'd be back, but how did it happen. I missed the first issue and subsequent issues of Brubaker and Hitch's mini which explains it. Was he time-hopping? How? Cosmic Cube?Aku? Sam and Al?

Yep. Zola builds the gun to unstick him from time to turn his super-soldier body into a vessel for the Red Skull.

Brubaker's run started off hot, but ended considerably colder. Siege and the whole Norman Osborn/HAMMER storyline has more legs in general.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 1 of 74

Jump to: