Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who are your favorite 5 actors and their top 3 performances?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cole416

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Who are your favorite 5 actors and their top 3 performances? Reply with quote

Mine would have to be...

Leonardo Dicaprio

Django Unchained
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Departed

Jake Gyllenhaal

Nightcrawler
Prisoners
Zodiac

Christian Bale

Dark Knight trilogy
The Fighter
American Psycho

Kevin Spacey

Se7en
American Beauty
Usual Suspects

Brad Pitt

Fight Club
Moneyball
Se7en

Last edited by Cole416 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sees Leo mentioned... without two of his best performances ever... goes off and weeps for humanity*

That or someone needs to go Netflix/download "Basketball Diaries" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?"

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard list for me two come up with to be honest. Ill need time to think about it.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danieal Day-Lewis
My Left Foot
There Will Be Blood
Gangs of New York

Leonardo DiCaprio
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
J. Edgar
Blood Diamond

Anthony Hopkins
Silence of the Lambs
Hitchcock
Amistad

Sean Penn
Mystic River
Carlito's Way
Dead Man Walking

Al Pacino
Carlito's Way
Godfather II
Scent of a Woman

Sig credit: Deadpulse
jjab360

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who are your top 5 actors and their top 3 performances? Reply with quote

I'm not going to do who I think are the best of all time, just my favorites over the last couple decades or so:

Leonardo Dicaprio - Insanely passionate, made a seamless transition from young, talented actor to one of the GOATs

Django Unchained
The Wolf of Wall Street
Catch Me If You Can

Edward Norton - Extremely charismatic, completely morphs into whatever character he's playing

American History X
Fight Club
25th Hour

Matt Damon - Knows his role as the smartass badass and plays it to perfection

Good Will Hunting
The Departed
The Bourne Trilogy

Johnny Depp - Gets so insanely lost in his work, almost unrecognizable when he comes out on the other end. Doesn't make the best movie choices though

Pirates of the Carribean
Sweeney Todd
Sleepy Hollow

Jake Gyllenhaal - Such a natural onscreen, crazy talent and he's just on fire right now

Nightcrawler
Prisoners
Donnie Darko

HMs: Denzel Washington, Robert Downey Jr., Liam Neeson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is favorites not best for both actors and performances

Russell Crowe: Gladiator, LA Confidential, Master and.Commander: The Far Side of the World

Hugh Jackman: Les Miserables, The Prestige, X2

Harrison Ford: Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Fugitive, Return of the Jedi

Brad Pitt: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Snatch

Matt Damon: Rounders, The Bourne Identity, Good Will Hunting

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Cole416

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
*sees Leo mentioned... without two of his best performances ever... goes off and weeps for humanity*

That or someone needs to go Netflix/download "Basketball Diaries" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?"

Didn't see Grape, but Basketball Diaries I don't see it being better than what I listed
Cole416

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I'm assuming this is favorites not best for both actors and performances

Yeah, that's what I mean't by it. BRB ill edit it Smile.
Cole416

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

If anything his role in Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, or Gangs of New York could trump the 3 on my list. He's just such a phenomenal actor.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hardy
-Warrior
-Bronson
-BANE

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole416 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Didn't see Grape, but Basketball Diaries I don't see it being better than what I listed

It's better than his performance in The Departed. I'm a Leo fan, but he has a bad habit of giving the same performance in A LOT of the jobs he works for Scorsese - WOWS broke that streak which really wasn't just limited to work with Marty but punctuated by working with him on either end of the streak. Not a lot dynamically different between Amsterdam Vallon, Billy Costigan, Teddy Daniels, and Dom Cobb... and honestly his Howard Hughes, which was pretty weak, really. Honestly, his J. Edgar Hoover, Frank Wheeler, and Danny Archer (J. Edgar, Revolution Road, and Blood Diamond, respectively) were all stronger performances IMO than Costigan was.

He was a fantastic character actor in his youth - Gilbert Grape and Basketball Diaries are prime examples of that, as was Marvin's Room and the "infamous" performance in Total Eclipse. Then he seemed to slip into a real repetitive phase where he seemed to just do slightly abridged riffs on the same character - just in different movies, with different names, and different plots. Blood Diamond was the start of the break from that habit, but it really didn't fully breakout until J. Edgar and then promptly followed by Django and WOWS.

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who are your top 5 actors and their top 3 performances? Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
Edward Norton - Extremely charismatic, completely morphs into whatever character he's playing

American History X
Fight Club
25th Hour

try out The Score sometime. also starring DeNiro and with Marlon Brando in his last screen role.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
ienjoystuff

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one likes Ed Wood Crying or Very sad

DDL
There Will Be Blood
In The Name of the Father (I liked Pete Postlethwait's performance better than his)
Lincoln or Last of the Mohicans

Sam Rockwell
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Choke
Moon or Seven Psychopaths

Brendan Gleeson
The Guard
Calvary
Gangs of New York or In Bruges

Dustin Hoffman
Rain Man
Kramer v Kramer
Too many to list

Michael Shannon and Richard Jenkins
Perfect supporting actors

The LBC wrote:
and honestly his Howard Hughes, which was pretty weak, really.

I agreed on everything else and it's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember not hating his performance in Aviator. What's Eating Gilbert Grape is probably the best child acting I've ever seen though.

condescension-the last refuge of the differently abled
Pats#1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Cole416 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

It's better than his performance in The Departed. I'm a Leo fan, but he has a bad habit of giving the same performance in A LOT of the jobs he works for Scorsese - WOWS broke that streak which really wasn't just limited to work with Marty but punctuated by working with him on either end of the streak. Not a lot dynamically different between Amsterdam Vallon, Billy Costigan, Teddy Daniels, and Dom Cobb... and honestly his Howard Hughes, which was pretty weak, really. Honestly, his J. Edgar Hoover, Frank Wheeler, and Danny Archer (J. Edgar, Revolution Road, and Blood Diamond, respectively) were all stronger performances IMO than Costigan was.

He was a fantastic character actor in his youth - Gilbert Grape and Basketball Diaries are prime examples of that, as was Marvin's Room and the "infamous" performance in Total Eclipse. Then he seemed to slip into a real repetitive phase where he seemed to just do slightly abridged riffs on the same character - just in different movies, with different names, and different plots. Blood Diamond was the start of the break from that habit, but it really didn't fully breakout until J. Edgar and then promptly followed by Django and WOWS.

Completely agree on J. Edgar...I have that on my list of favorites, I thought he had a great performance in it.

Sig credit: Deadpulse
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head and in no order except for Oldman and Day-Lewis being 1 A/B with a considerable edge to Oldman (because I believe if it wasn't for his personal beliefs being condemned by Hollywood as well as his terrible role selection process, he would make everybody's top five list).

Gary effing Oldman.
-Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
-Dracula
-Leon: The Professional

Daniel Day-Lewis
-Gangs of New York
-There Will Be Blood
-My Left Foot

Kurt Russel (dead serious, he's just had some crap / cheesy roles).
-Tombstone
-The Thing
-Silkwood

Mel Gibson (call him what you will, but I have never seen a more convincing cry from an actor in all my life).
-Edge of Darkness
-Conspiracy Theory
-Braveheart

I can't think of a fifth because I know I would miss out on somebody that's probably more deserving than Kurt Russel or Mel Gibson, so I'll just leave it at that and say those are my four favorites with an honorable mention to Jared Harris and Sam Neil. Sam Neil only because he's been absolutely believable in every role I've seen him in. I feel like he's a tremendously underrated actor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: