You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
MathMan wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
^Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is a lot like Game of Thrones on a smaller scale. Less characters, but still all the things you mentioned.

As far as Sword and Shield, it's the closest.

Another recommendation that I'm sure you've read is the Dune series. More science fiction, but with its own type of sword and shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

Couldnt find first law at the library but i got the Half a king series and the heroes by joe abercombie

I didn't like Shattered Sea nearly as The First Law. It's Abercrombie's attempt at writing a young adult series. The second one(Half The World) was my favorite of them.

While advertised as a standalone, The Heroes is probably best enjoyed as the 5th in the series. The events in the books all happen in the order that they were published and even in the case of the standalones, references the previous books. The Heroes is great though, best fantasy war book ever probably. This chapter is the best.

I tried to give it a chance, but couldn't get into it.

Since I just read aSoIaF series, I probably just need to read something different than fantasy

I'm going to finish Blood Meridan, then read A Confederacy of Dunces and Catch 22 again to reset
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathMan wrote:

I tried to give it a chance, but couldn't get into it.

Since I just read aSoIaF series, I probably just need to read something different than fantasy

I'm going to finish Blood Meridan, then read A Confederacy of Dunces and Catch 22 again to reset

Yeah. There is a definite break needed after reading a lot of fantasy novels. I know of people that only read that type of fiction, I don't know how they can do it. I have to mix it up.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I completed American Psycho today. In my opinion, save your time and watch the movie. I looked for reviews of it online to see if there was something that I missed, it didn't really have a resolution, and apparently, it was "offensive," and "problematic." I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I was not offended, in the least, but I did find the book pretty boring. I guess I just didn't get it.

My next book is: Tony and Susan. I liked the movie Nocturnal Animals, so I went for the source material.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

flyers0909

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Red Rising today. It took me a little bit to get into but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I'm just pissed that Golden Sun isn't getting here until tomorrow. It would have been nice to spend my day off starting that one.

Smack on the Lindor
Rammy on the Claude
skywindO2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers0909 wrote:
Just finished Red Rising today. It took me a little bit to get into but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I'm just pissed that Golden Sun isn't getting here until tomorrow. It would have been nice to spend my day off starting that one.

Definitely agree it Red Rising takes a little bit to get going and into it but once you do it's so worth it. Golden Son was my favorite of the trilogy. The series as a whole is was really good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished book 3 of dark tower series and my mind is jelly after reading 80 pages all at once lol. Now onto "Wizard and Glass" (book 4). It's 1015 pages long. I'm f'ed. I'll check back in in September when I'm done
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put American Gods down after halfway through. Just not a fan. Hated it.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Tony & Susan. I really liked it. It was a page turner. I preferred the story within the story to the real character's problems, but it was good. This is a pretty easy read.

Now on to the tales of Dunk & Egg. After that, I might read some non-fiction to switch it up even more.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

Forge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
Finished book 3 of dark tower series and my mind is jelly after reading 80 pages all at once lol. Now onto "Wizard and Glass" (book 4). It's 1015 pages long. I'm f'ed. I'll check back in in September when I'm done

Wizard and Glass is actually my favorite of the series...which is a little weird since it's divorced from the main story itself for the most part.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

Was there anything in particular that you didn't like? I thought it was pretty good, but the main character was really, really boring. Part of what suckered me was the trip to House on the Rock. I visited that place when I was a kid, and I thought it was cool for a fantasy novel to visit somewhere that I had also visited.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

Was there anything in particular that you didn't like? I thought it was pretty good, but the main character was really, really boring. Part of what suckered me was the trip to House on the Rock. I visited that place when I was a kid, and I thought it was cool for a fantasy novel to visit somewhere that I had also visited.

Was bored to tears reading it. Didn't understand or care for the side stories. In the authors word before the story he said people either love the book or loathe it. No in between. Suppose I'm in the loathe category.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

Was bored to tears reading it. Didn't understand or care for the side stories. In the authors word before the story he said people either love the book or loathe it. No in between. Suppose I'm in the loathe category.

I must be the exception to the rule Laughing I thought it was fine, but far from great.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

Jeezla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:

Definitely agree it Red Rising takes a little bit to get going and into it but once you do it's so worth it. Golden Son was my favorite of the trilogy. The series as a whole is was really good.

Once you make it to post-op Darrow, you can't turn the pages fast enough.
Golden Son was also my fave of the series. I think it's the first book to make me cry. I'd describe the series as a whole as Great/Fantastic. Probably my favorite completed series, until Rothfuss finishes book 3 of the Kingkiller Chronicle.

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly
patdt13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading Black Hawk Down right now. I have Mark Bowden's new book Hue 1968 on order at the library.
Starless

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 78 of 79

Jump to: