You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tyty


Joined: 05 Sep 2015
Posts: 5469
Location: do what you want ea I'm not your mother
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathMan wrote:
I'm a piece of [inappropriate/removed] for complaining vabput the Bran chapters when there are no more chapters to read


Yeah I've heard a lot of people complain vabput the Bran and Catelyn chapters but you gotta read em or else you won't know what they're talking vabput later on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MathMan


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 31680
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
^Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is a lot like Game of Thrones on a smaller scale. Less characters, but still all the things you mentioned.

As far as Sword and Shield, it's the closest.

Another recommendation that I'm sure you've read is the Dune series. More science fiction, but with its own type of sword and shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law



Couldnt find first law at the library but i got the Half a king series and the heroes by joe abercombie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 5911
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyty


Joined: 05 Sep 2015
Posts: 5469
Location: do what you want ea I'm not your mother
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797


Dude wtf those are so cheap. I spent at least double on Amazon Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 5911
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797


Dude wtf those are so cheap. I spent at least double on Amazon Crying or Very sad

There's always a cheaper option. You're welcome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MathMan


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 31680
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797


Then i have to wait.

But I'll give these books a chance first
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 25614
Location: Nashvegas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
MathMan wrote:
I'm reading Blood Meridian now.
I love Cormac M's style of writing.

Can anyone recommend a book that's like aSoIaF?

Not necessarily for the fantasy elements.


More so for these elements:
* Lots of in-depth characters
* Gritty, adult-based
* Backstabbing and plots
* Anyone can die
* Sword and Shield age preference (no cell phones)


Hey after I'm done with the dark tower series I'm reading the Road by Cormac M. Considering getting Blood Meridian cause I read it's his best work


Outer Dark, The Road, Blood Meridian, Child of God

Those are the four McCarthy novels Ive read. They are all fantastic. Cormac is easily my favorite author of all time. Those are my rankings as well.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 25614
Location: Nashvegas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading American Gods right now. About 200 pages in right now, and I love it.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywindO2


Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 16986
Location: Minneapolis, MN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathMan wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
^Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is a lot like Game of Thrones on a smaller scale. Less characters, but still all the things you mentioned.

As far as Sword and Shield, it's the closest.

Another recommendation that I'm sure you've read is the Dune series. More science fiction, but with its own type of sword and shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law



Couldnt find first law at the library but i got the Half a king series and the heroes by joe abercombie

I didn't like Shattered Sea nearly as The First Law. It's Abercrombie's attempt at writing a young adult series. The second one(Half The World) was my favorite of them.

While advertised as a standalone, The Heroes is probably best enjoyed as the 5th in the series. The events in the books all happen in the order that they were published and even in the case of the standalones, references the previous books. The Heroes is great though, best fantasy war book ever probably. This chapter is the best.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 23192
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797

I use it extensively. Read about 40-50 books/year, so paying $4/book seems ridiculous when i've already paid for perfectly good used books at the library (thru taxes).
_________________
If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyty


Joined: 05 Sep 2015
Posts: 5469
Location: do what you want ea I'm not your mother
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are fast readers. It takes me like a month to finish a book and about a minute and a half to read a page typically.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 16101
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading speed is all about the time spent, and how into the material you are. I usually read 30-50 pages per day. Sometimes that is 150, other times it is 0. I read when I (think I) have enough down time at work to read more than a page or two, and on Saturdays and Sundays when I am sitting by the pool. So, there are times that a typical 400 page novel takes a week, and times that it takes a few weeks. I just read A Song of Ice and Fire, that took me from late February or early March until the first week of June. I have been working on American Psycho for a couple of weeks, and I am 160/400, this one is a more difficult read, and I have also had less time to spend.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 5911
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
You guys are fast readers. It takes me like a month to finish a book and about a minute and a half to read a page typically.

I read for a full hour, sometimes hour and a half before I go to sleep. I buy all my books and keep some of my favorites, sell the rest. A lot of times using that thriftbooks site and shopping at actual physical thrift stores, I actually make money reselling the books that I buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyty


Joined: 05 Sep 2015
Posts: 5469
Location: do what you want ea I'm not your mother
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Reading speed is all about the time spent, and how into the material you are. I usually read 30-50 pages per day. Sometimes that is 150, other times it is 0. I read when I (think I) have enough down time at work to read more than a page or two, and on Saturdays and Sundays when I am sitting by the pool. So, there are times that a typical 400 page novel takes a week, and times that it takes a few weeks. I just read A Song of Ice and Fire, that took me from late February or early March until the first week of June. I have been working on American Psycho for a couple of weeks, and I am 160/400, this one is a more difficult read, and I have also had less time to spend.


I do 30-50 a day too. Must just be the books I've chosen to read are all 700+ Pages lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titansNvolsR#1


Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 13692
Location: Manila
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Im reading American Gods right now. About 200 pages in right now, and I love it.


I'm halfway through. Still not sure I like it.
_________________
Quote:
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 77 of 79

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group