You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathMan wrote:
I'm a piece of [inappropriate/removed] for complaining vabput the Bran chapters when there are no more chapters to read

Yeah I've heard a lot of people complain vabput the Bran and Catelyn chapters but you gotta read em or else you won't know what they're talking vabput later on
MathMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
^Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is a lot like Game of Thrones on a smaller scale. Less characters, but still all the things you mentioned.

As far as Sword and Shield, it's the closest.

Another recommendation that I'm sure you've read is the Dune series. More science fiction, but with its own type of sword and shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

Couldnt find first law at the library but i got the Half a king series and the heroes by joe abercombie
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797
Tyty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
What? Library? Who uses the library? If there's a book I want to buy, I just buy it used. It's like four dollars used on the site I use to buy used books.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-blade-itself_joe-abercrombie/251980/#isbn=0575079797

Dude wtf those are so cheap. I spent at least double on Amazon Crying or Very sad
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

Dude wtf those are so cheap. I spent at least double on Amazon Crying or Very sad

There's always a cheaper option. You're welcome.
MathMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

Then i have to wait.

But I'll give these books a chance first
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
MathMan wrote:
I'm reading Blood Meridian now.
I love Cormac M's style of writing.

Can anyone recommend a book that's like aSoIaF?

Not necessarily for the fantasy elements.

More so for these elements:
* Lots of in-depth characters
* Gritty, adult-based
* Backstabbing and plots
* Anyone can die
* Sword and Shield age preference (no cell phones)

Hey after I'm done with the dark tower series I'm reading the Road by Cormac M. Considering getting Blood Meridian cause I read it's his best work

Outer Dark, The Road, Blood Meridian, Child of God

Those are the four McCarthy novels Ive read. They are all fantastic. Cormac is easily my favorite author of all time. Those are my rankings as well.

#JDI
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading American Gods right now. About 200 pages in right now, and I love it.

#JDI
skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MathMan wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
^Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series is a lot like Game of Thrones on a smaller scale. Less characters, but still all the things you mentioned.

As far as Sword and Shield, it's the closest.

Another recommendation that I'm sure you've read is the Dune series. More science fiction, but with its own type of sword and shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

Couldnt find first law at the library but i got the Half a king series and the heroes by joe abercombie

I didn't like Shattered Sea nearly as The First Law. It's Abercrombie's attempt at writing a young adult series. The second one(Half The World) was my favorite of them.

While advertised as a standalone, The Heroes is probably best enjoyed as the 5th in the series. The events in the books all happen in the order that they were published and even in the case of the standalones, references the previous books. The Heroes is great though, best fantasy war book ever probably. This chapter is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

I use it extensively. Read about 40-50 books/year, so paying $4/book seems ridiculous when i've already paid for perfectly good used books at the library (thru taxes).

~T.S. Eliot
Tyty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are fast readers. It takes me like a month to finish a book and about a minute and a half to read a page typically.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading speed is all about the time spent, and how into the material you are. I usually read 30-50 pages per day. Sometimes that is 150, other times it is 0. I read when I (think I) have enough down time at work to read more than a page or two, and on Saturdays and Sundays when I am sitting by the pool. So, there are times that a typical 400 page novel takes a week, and times that it takes a few weeks. I just read A Song of Ice and Fire, that took me from late February or early March until the first week of June. I have been working on American Psycho for a couple of weeks, and I am 160/400, this one is a more difficult read, and I have also had less time to spend.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
You guys are fast readers. It takes me like a month to finish a book and about a minute and a half to read a page typically.

I read for a full hour, sometimes hour and a half before I go to sleep. I buy all my books and keep some of my favorites, sell the rest. A lot of times using that thriftbooks site and shopping at actual physical thrift stores, I actually make money reselling the books that I buy.
Tyty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Reading speed is all about the time spent, and how into the material you are. I usually read 30-50 pages per day. Sometimes that is 150, other times it is 0. I read when I (think I) have enough down time at work to read more than a page or two, and on Saturdays and Sundays when I am sitting by the pool. So, there are times that a typical 400 page novel takes a week, and times that it takes a few weeks. I just read A Song of Ice and Fire, that took me from late February or early March until the first week of June. I have been working on American Psycho for a couple of weeks, and I am 160/400, this one is a more difficult read, and I have also had less time to spend.

I do 30-50 a day too. Must just be the books I've chosen to read are all 700+ Pages lol
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Im reading American Gods right now. About 200 pages in right now, and I love it.

I'm halfway through. Still not sure I like it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 77 of 79

Jump to: