Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marshawn Lynch and Jahvid Best
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
Marshawn Lynch is faster than Kevin Smith. Lynch is more powerful, quicker, more elusive, better acceleration and healthier.

Lynch's 40 time: 4.52
KS: 4.43

The statement was fast, not quick, powerful or whatever other stuff you brought up to try to make yourself right.

Where did you get those times... From everything I've shortly looked up on the web, neither of those numbers are right. I'm not saying your wrong, I just wanna know where you got those. I think the times I'm looking up are from when they where rookies anyways.

Well, I kind of nitpicked through their offseason 40 times before their respective draft. I think they are very similar in terms of speed, but to say Lynch is faster is clearly incorrect. That was my only point. Lynch was expected to drop into the 20's because of his lack of speed. He is one of the slower backs in the NFL.

Haha.

Lynch's official 40 yard dash time was 4.46, and, according to this source, Kevin Smith ran an official 4.58. Not only are 40 yard dash times a terrible way to argue, but they didn't even support your point.

Kevin Smith is not faster than Marshawn Lynch... not based on a one-time sprint, but based on how they play on the football field.

In terms of speed, and excelleration I think a forty yard dash is a good indicator for RB's. It's not often they get open field to where they can truely meet their tops speeds anyways.

An obviously there is some correlations with forty times/speed. Chris Johnson runs a 4.2 something and no one can catch him. I don't think it's a mystery as to why.

Running a 40 yard dash, without pads, is not an indicator of how fast that player would be on the football field. There are players that are slower in pads, and players that are faster in pads, which is why you can't take 2 unofficial combine 40 yard dash times and state that one player is faster than the other as a football player, based on those two numbers.

I get what your saying but I don't think it hinders RB's in terms of speed that much. I agree some players just play better in pads but like I said there is a correlations with speed/forty times. Some Rb's with the fastest forty times are the fastest players on the field, pads or not... Again I'll use Chris Johnson as my example. Cj Spiller/ Jahvid Best are the same way.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I get what your saying but I don't think it hinders RB's in terms of speed that much. I agree some players just play better in pads but like I said there is a correlations with speed/forty times. Some Rb's with the fastest forty times are the fastest players on the field, pads or not... Again I'll use Chris Johnson as my example. Cj Spiller/ Jahvid Best are the same way.

No, I agree... insanely fast players will still be insanely fast with pads on. I'm not arguing against that point.

Stating that player A is a faster football player than player B because of .05 in a combine 40 yard dash is quite foolish, in my opinion.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

No, I agree... insanely fast players will still be insanely fast with pads on. I'm not arguing against that point.

Stating that player A is a faster football player than player B because of .05 in a combine 40 yard dash is quite foolish, in my opinion.

So you agree with me that Lynch is not faster than Smith then Laughing
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

No. I believe Lynch is faster than Smith, but not based on 40 yard dash times. I've watched both players play, and I feel that Lynch is faster.
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Kevin Smith is not faster than Marshawn Lynch... not based on a one-time sprint, but based on how they play on the football field.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

No. I believe Lynch is faster than Smith, but not based on 40 yard dash times. I've watched both players play, and I feel that Lynch is faster.
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Saying Smith is not faster is much different from saying Lynch IS faster.

Lynch is NOT faster, even by your own definition.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

No.

My "Smith is not faster" was in response to the posted 40 yard dash times. When you asked me if I agree, no, I do not, as I feel that Lynch is faster.

I can think both that Smith isn't faster and that Lynch is faster. Take them in context and they make sense.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

No.

My "Smith is not faster" was in response to the posted 40 yard dash times. When you asked me if I agree, no, I do not, as I feel that Lynch is faster.

I can think both that Smith isn't faster and that Lynch is faster. Take them in context and they make sense.

Together, but one cannot be assumed from the other.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Together, but one cannot be assumed from the other.

Luckily there's no need to assume anything, as I said it clearly when you asked.

Team Stylish
ima_boss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, two Bears in the backfield... That would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge Fan of Lynch he was preaty good in Buffallo and they have no offense outside of him before he got hurt.

I would of love Detroit to trade for him before the draft then we wouldnt of needed Bast with that 1st round pick. Wink

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
mijags

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like forsett too
expobear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
LionsGM wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
I never argued that point.

Lynch>>>>>>>>>>>>>Smith.

Just not faster

I don't know where you got your numbers from, but here's a good piece right here.
http://www.mattrauch.com/2008-nfl-combine-results.php
This link clearly states Kevin Smith's results in the 40 yard dash was a 4.58

And here are Lynch's results:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/combine/combine4.html
This link clearly states Marshawn Lynch ran a 4.49 at the scouting combine.

Scouting Combine is the Official measure of the 40 yard dash time, not that those numbers matter when it comes to the game on the field, because game speed is a little different. But, coincidently Kevin Smith actually looks like he runs a 4.6 or 4.7 when he's on the field, and Marshawn looks like a sub 4.5 runner.

Rolling Eyes

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/02/40-yard-dash-running-backs.html

http://ballhype.com/story/2008_nfl_combine_running_back_40_yard_dash_results/

You can take about 500 different sources and times from the 2, and the best you will get is even.

Lynch is NOT faster by any means. He is quite slow, power is his game. More powerful than Smith, yet you were hacking on Smith for being a "power back", which he really isn't, his game is cuts.

Lynch has as good of combination of strength, speed and moves of any back in the NFL. He doesn't have the top end speed of Best but he had his share of long runs in college. I've never seen Kevin Smith run and don't know who is faster but Lynch isn't slow.
UnamedAssailant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather have Lynch and Best than Smith and Best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: