Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

alex_93 2016 Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you rank my mock?
Great - A+
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Pretty Good - B
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Meh - C-
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Don't like it - F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Arghh My Eyes.... So...Much...Reading!!!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

alex_93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: alex_93 2016 Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Basically I've had a bit of spare time between finishing college and starting a new job so I've been working on a fairly in-depth mock offseason for a while now. Let me know what you all think!

2016 Cap and Significant Cuts

Projected Cap = $64m
Significant Cuts: Lofton ($5.5m), Janikowski ($3.5m), Reece ($2.5m)
Projected Cap After Cuts = $75.5m

Significant UFA/ RFA Re-signings

Aldon Smith, J’Marcus Webb, Andre Holmes, Tony Bergstrom, Denico Autry, Marquette King, Seth Roberts, Donald Penn, Benson Mayowa,

Free Agent Acquisitions

OL - Alex Boone - Osemele is a LG and along with Brooks (who is a RG) would cost too much along with Hudson, Howard and Jackson to keep as too much money would be tied up in OL with Mack and Carr to sign later on, hence could lose Jackson. San Francisco will likely clear house this offseason and signing Boone would give us a more experienced and much more talented RG over Webb to complete what should be a very good OL, especially with Watson back to battle Howard at RT.

RB – Bilal Powell – The Jets will have money tied up in Wilkerson and Ivory at RB so would likely let Powell walk. Powell is a pretty effective one-cut style runner. Would be a nice addition to help spell Murray at times as a 2nd / 3rd RB without breaking the bank.

DL – Mario Williams – The Bills cap situation is a disaster so to free up some room they will almost certainly cut ties with Mario Williams who is 30+ and has struggled with his role in Rex Ryan’s 3-4 defense. However, his last season in a 4-3 Williams notched 14.5 sacks and went to the pro-bowl. Even from Bills fans I still hear praise for the guy as a player and he certainly isn’t done yet. Despite his huge cap hit, that may actually help us short term in making up the cap minimum with a genuinely elite stud defender, and on a front-loaded 2 year type deal he would be off our books down the line when we need to sign Carr, Mack and co to big long term deals. Reggie has shown he’s not afraid to go after big money targets if they’re worth it and if Williams’ reclamation project goes to plan, he could play the LE disrupter role (similar to Bennett in Seattle) instantly improving our pass rush and allowing us to get creative with Mack at whatever position offers favorable matchups.

LB – Danny Trevathan – With the large number of players Denver has hitting FA, particular Miller and Marshall at LB as well as the DE’s Jackson and Wolfe, I would throw a large amount of money at Trevathan to be the leader of our D at MLB. At linebacker we currently have Malcolm Smith as a player I would say has proven himself at LB and talent / potential in Ball and Heeney. Trevathan offers talent, playmaking ability and versatility. He has good speed to fly around the field, is an excellent tackler and is capable in coverage. With Trevathan, it would allows us to play Malcolm Smith at OLB in a 4-3 as well as giving us a 3-4 look with Mack and Aldon Smith on the edge.

DB – Sean Smith – Kansas City has a great secondary talent wise but also has a lot off free agents hitting the market. Sean Smith has made it clear he’s happy to test the FA market so will likely look for a big pay day. Smith is a long, physical corner who plays the ball very well. Would be worth paying big for as a number 1 CB.

DB – Isa Adbul-Quddus – Detroit has a pretty ugly cap situation and established starters at safety in Ihedigbo and Quin. Capable of playing both safety spots as well as being a special teams ace, Adbul-Quddus excels in pass coverage but is also a solid tackler as 57 tackles on the year demonstrate. Rated by PFF in the NFL’s top 25 safeties and only 26 years old he could really grow into a role in our reformed secondary and perhaps improve on his production.

2016 NFL Draft

Round 1 – Jaylon Smith / LB / Notre Dame – Reggie’s (and my) philosophy of filling holes in FA to allow you to go BPA in the draft pay huge dividends with our first pick. Ordinarily the injury to Smith’s knee, an ACL and LCL tear which will rule him out of most of his rookie year, would cause him to fall off of our board. However, with Trevathan as well as Malcolm Smith, Ball and Heeney we have to depth at LB to bring Jaylon Smith back from his injury slowly and, if he can recapture his pre-injury form when worked into the rotation (estimated at around week Cool, could become a real weapon as a dynamic, new-breed playmaker at MLB who is also capable of playing on all 3 downs. Jaylon Smith’s skillset is based around his explosion. He isn’t a linebacker who will fight through traffic and take on blockers but one who can read and react very quickly and fire downhill past would-be blockers to make the play. This suits our style of play very well with the big guys up front keeping our LB’s clean. Smith is an excellent tackler and delivers explosive hits on the ball carrier but he really excels when he can use his speed to blitz or when he is in coverage. A highly-coachable freak athlete who is also one heck of a football player, Smith would have gone top 10 had is not been for significant knee injuries to both him and Myles Jack which I believe will cause Smith to drop to us at #14.

Round 2 – William Jackson III / CB / Houston – More so than any of the CB’s not named VHIII, Jackson I feel warrants the best value as a CB pick in the top 3 rounds. He has NFL length, is athletic and has excellent awareness and ball skills. In man coverage he is very tight, doesn’t give up a cushion and reacts very well to play the ball and make the hit to prevent YAC. In zone he is able to diagnose plays and exhibits the ball skills and hands to make INT’s routinely. As a run defender I feel he has to work on his open field tackling but can deliver some big hits and is willing to put his shoulder in. However, he must improve his change of direction skills and technique at the next level as his sometimes overly tight coverage can lead to him being beat deep. He also lacks the bulk and perhaps some strength required for a CB his size. If he can fix these issues I think he can be a very effective #1 CB in the NFL in a similar style to Sean Smith.

Round 3 - Karl Joseph / SS / West Virginia – In a very deep safety class, there are no mid-round safeties that I like more than Karl Joseph. Joseph is an excellent run support safety with the ability to hit ferociously despite his size, similar to TJ Ward. He is quick to diagnose plays and shoots quickly to make the tackle with reliable wrap up tackling in space. He brings physicality and attitude with the way he plays and is also not a liability in coverage, displaying above average ball skills and competitiveness when covering routes. However, his small size can lead to him being boxed out by bigger receivers and at times he can sell out going for the highlight reel hit causing him to miss the tackle. I’ve gone round 3 here, provided his knee checks out, but I’d pick him in round 2 were Cravens off the board, I like him that much!

Round 4 – Anthony Zettel / DT / Penn State – In a very deep and talented DT class, I believe Zettel will go somewhere around late round 3 to round 4. As a football player it’s hard not the love the guy and certainly for the Raiders a case of what he can do as opposed to what he can’t. Zettel can be a disruptive force at DT. He has a natural ability and instincts to make plays at the position combined with a great motor, aggressive mentality and an arsenal of pass rush moves including a deadly spin move that would trouble NFL level Guards. Because he is undersized he isn’t adept at pushing the pocket and versus the run, although he doesn’t get washed, he does get sealed out of plays. However, added to the rotation as a penetrating situational interior disrupter where he can play to his strengths I think he could really contribute and potentially provide the interior rush that we currently lack.

Round 5 – D.J Foster / RB / Arizona State – Latavius Murray is the feature running back of the Raiders offense and I believe he is a good middle of the pack starting RB going forward. However, with the amount of time Carr spends in shotgun adding a RB who can really excel in the shotgun would both keep Murray fresh and add a versatile weapon to the offense. Foster is an elusive and quick running back with an excellent receiving game, the fact that he moved to WR and stuggled last season causes him to drop.

Round 5 – Alex Redmond / OG / UCLA – Redmond is a talented guard and that is a position we need talent to pair with Gabe Jackson. An excellent run blocker despite being a little undersized, Redmond is a pretty well balanced guard with experience in the PAC-12 and has potential at the next level. However he threw his team under the bus for the bowl game by declaring the way he did so could fall in a pretty good guard class. Offers competition and can be developed for the RG spot in future.

Round 6 – Kar’Imi Fairburn / K / UCLA – Janikowski has been poor this season and with his contract and his age I think it’s time to save some money and move on from Jano. As well as Tavecchio who we have on the books, I’d also draft Fairburn late as one of the top kickers in college football. He has been very accurate throughout his college career and also has a big leg. Even though trusting a rookie kicker in what may be our 1st playoff run is a risk, I genuinely don’t trust Janikowski enough in such situations to justify either his contract or his selection on the team.

Round 6 - Alonzo Russell / WR / Toledo – With Carr’s ability to throw fades and how he loves to put up jump balls in the red zone, I think that a tall, basketball style pass catcher would be a nice compliment to our offense. So far I’m not totally sold on Holmes so Russell would provide some competition in camp as a low risk / reward type player. He has great size and is a red zone weapon able to go up and get the football as his TD total at Toledo can attest to.  

Round 7 – Tevin Carter / DB / Utah – Despite his age Carter is an experienced starter with the ability to make plays at the nickel position. Carter is a leader, has NFL size and is good versus the run. Could contribute to special teams as an ace and potentially into a DB rotation. Also rounded off his NCAA career with a massive bowl game performance.

Predicted 53 Man Roster (47)

Offense
QB - Carr, McGloin
RB - Murray, Powell, Foster / Helu / Jones
FB - Olawale
WR - Cooper, Crabtree, Roberts, Andre Holmes / Alonzo Russell, Debose
TE - Walford, Smith, Rivera / Gabe Holmes
LT – Penn
LG – Jackson
C – Hudson, Bergstrom
RG – Boone, Redmond / Feliciano / Webb
RT - Howard, Watson

4-3 D Looks
LE – Mario Williams / Mack
DT – Dan Williams, Ellis, McGee
DT – Ellis, Edwards JNR, Zettel
RE - Edwards JNR / Mack, Autry
OLB – Mack / Malcolm Smith, Mayowa
MLB – Trevathan, (Jaylon Smith) Heeney, Ball
OLB – (Jaylon Smith), (Aldon Smith), Ball, Mayowa

3-4 D Looks
LE – Mario Williams, Zettel
NT – Dan Williams, Ellis, McGee
RE – Edwards JNR, Autry
LOLB – Mack, Mayowa
MLB – Trevathan, Heeney
MLB – Malcolm Smith, (Jaylon Smith), Ball
ROLB – (Aldon Smith), Mayowa, Ball

Secondary
CB – Sean Smith, Amerson, Jackson III, Carrie, Thorpe / Hayden / Carter
FS – Allen, Carrie
SS – Abdul-Quddus, Joseph, Mays / Asante / Carter

Special Teams
K – Tavecchio, Fairburn
P – Marquette King
KR – Debose
LS - Condo

Overview - My Thoughts

The offense this season has been effective for the most part so by keeping it mostly the same and adding a few players to a couple of areas to provide some additional strength, the players can continue to grow and build up a rapport with Carr which in turn should allow for a crisper and more consistent unit moving forward. The talent we currently have has shown it can put up points and being supplemented by some additional pieces at RB should help ensure the running game is more balanced and suited to our different formations. The OL addition of Boone, as well as Watson back to compete with Howard at RT, should further improve the standard of run blocking and O-line play in general from the right side. The biggest question mark will be whether Penn can provide the levels of pass protection offered to Carr for large spells this past season, without getting Carr pressured regularly which could hamper both his performance and also the team’s playoff hopes in seasons to come.

Defensively I really like the look of the unit as a whole after a total overhaul of the secondary combined with further pieces added to the front 7. Mirroring Seattle’s and also elements of Denver’s old 4-3 system, Mario Williams provides us with an elite disruptor at the LE position, similar to Bennett. Our existing DT rotation clogs up the middle to free up our fast and roaming linebackers with the addition of Zettel to provided some interior pressure in passing sets. Mario Edwards can continue to develop at RE in base and heavy sets and we have depth guys in Autry, Mayowa and even Aldon Smith could be brought in on passing sets. Most exciting of all is how we can now freely move Mack around to allow him to take advantage of matchups and just wreck opposition game plans, be it at LE, RE or OLB.

At linebacker, adding a quality starter at MLB in Trevathan gives us a very solid unit of fast, sideline to sideline linebackers, which should be kept clean by a big and active front 4. Heeney and Ball provide good depth and have shown to be competent when called upon. Heeney and Ball will be vital in allowing us to work Jaylon Smith gradually into the lineup after his recovery and missed offseason. I’d expect the lineup to settle with Trevathan, Malcolm Smith and Jaylon Smith in base when Mack is at a DE position with Smith dropping out when Mack is at SLB. Aldon Smith’s return would also allow some very good 3-4 looks in passing situations.

The secondary, although not elite, has the makings of a top 10 NFL unit. Both Sean Smith and Amerson are tall, rangy CB’s that fit our system with Nate Allen as a solid option at FS. Abdul-Quddus is a promising young SS with a chance to develop into a good NFL starter whilst Joseph offers a different skillset at SS to complement running scenarios. William Jackson III adds further depth to the unit as a quality young talent to bring in for nickel sets and to groom to compete for a starting role further down the line, which is vital in todays passing league, and Carrie can cover both FS and also CB in dime sets.

The biggest question mark, perhaps on the whole team, will be whether Fairburn or Tavecchio can provide NFL standard kicking and can be relied upon in key moments. However, I feel at the least we should see an improvement in kickoffs and if one of these guys can provide mid-level NFL kicking I think the team will be well set up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the best mock offseason I've seen so far. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Frankie2Gunz wrote:
If you think Cooper and DGB are in the same universe in terms of talent you have no clue how to evaluate talent.
Dessie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the Mario Williams pick up. How do we lineup on nickel downs with Aldon Smith, Mack and Williams all in the lineup? Picking up Trevathon and J.Smith seems like overkill to me. Not enough done to improve the offense with no LT or WR picked up.

Like the William Jackson III and Zettel selections and Alex Boone.
#clueless
alex_93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Not a fan of the Mario Williams pick up. How do we lineup on nickel downs with Aldon Smith, Mack and Williams all in the lineup? Picking up Trevathon and J.Smith seems like overkill to me. Not enough done to improve the offense with no LT or WR picked up.

Aldon Smith won't be back until week 8 earliest but Nickel would likely look something like:

Williams - DT - Edwards - Mack
Trevathan - Smith

However, just because they won't all play every down in nickel you can still rotate in Aldon Smith and Jaylon Smith on some nickel plays to keep the D fresh. I don't think that just because 3 don't go into 2 that its a bad thing, in fact being able to rotate such high calibre pass rushers in nickel to keep them fresh could be a huge positive for our pass rush, especially seeing as Mack seems to cramp up a lot late in games.

Trevathan and Jaylon Smith is somewhat overkill true but honestly where we pick, I really don't like any of the other prospects that will likely be available anywhere near enough to pick at #14 and trade downs are impossible to predict. Plus to upgrade our MLB spot we need a high-calibre type talent to really elevate our D so I think it's too big of a risk to pass up Trevathan and hope that either Jack or Smith falls on draft day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:

Williams can rush inside. You want as many dominant DL as possible. Look at Seattle.

Frankie2Gunz wrote:
If you think Cooper and DGB are in the same universe in terms of talent you have no clue how to evaluate talent.
91jmay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be really surprised if Zettel is a 4th round pick, even though this class is deep.

Also think we get too many LBers/D-Line and not enough O to be frank.
Dessie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_93 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Aldon Smith won't be back until week 8 earliest but Nickel would likely look something like:

Trevathan - Smith

However, just because they won't all play every down in nickel you can still rotate in Aldon Smith and Jaylon Smith on some nickel plays to keep the D fresh. I don't think that just because 3 don't go into 2 that its a bad thing, in fact being able to rotate such high calibre pass rushers in nickel to keep them fresh could be a huge positive for our pass rush, especially seeing as Mack seems to cramp up a lot late in games.

Trevathan and Jaylon Smith is somewhat overkill true but honestly where we pick, I really don't like any of the other prospects that will likely be available anywhere near enough to pick at #14 and trade downs are impossible to predict. Plus to upgrade our MLB spot we need a high-calibre type talent to really elevate our D so I think it's too big of a risk to pass up Trevathan and hope that either Jack or Smith falls on draft day.

Not a fan of Mack moving to RDE, he's far happier rushing from the left. Isn't Trevathan more of a WLB in a 4-3?
#clueless
alex_93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
alex_93 wrote:
Dessie wrote:

Trevathan - Smith

Not a fan of Mack moving to RDE, he's far happier rushing from the left. Isn't Trevathan more of a WLB in a 4-3?

I think you could project him to both, he's been a ILB in Denver's 3-4 alongside Marshall but I think originally in Denver he played WLB. However, I really don't think it'd be a big jump for him to fill MLB next year and if Jaylon Smith is as advertised you could always bump him to WLB at a later date if he is indeed more suited.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn good, like a lot of the things you included. We agree on some FA's like Powell and I love the draft with Jaylon and Jackson3 plus Zettel and Foster are two of my favorite mid toun players.

Overall, I'd give it an A. Not too excited about the Mario signing but if the contract is friendly I'm okay with it. Good work man!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings on Mario Williams, but the thing that sticks out to me is OL. Maybe Watson can play LT, but I don't trust Penn at all anymore. Could be wrong but I think he's aging fast. To the point I want another plan going into next year. Personal preference.

Like the moves at S and Sean Smith. Boone is a very good idea.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it alot, but Reggie isn't going to take a guy who isn't going to be able to play with our 1st round pick. Maybe if he falls to the 2nd, he puts a premium on health in early rounds, so I don't see it.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Mixed feelings on Mario Williams, but the thing that sticks out to me is OL. Maybe Watson can play LT, but I don't trust Penn at all anymore. Could be wrong but I think he's aging fast. To the point I want another plan going into next year. Personal preference.

Like the moves at S and Sean Smith. Boone is a very good idea.
I'm meh on Mario as well, but if we are talking a 1 year rental how about Chris Long he will probably end up a CAP casulty he could have 1 good year left and keep the seat warm for Aldon.
holyghost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely put some heat on the secondary issue.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely like it, this is one possibility that looks good for sure. Especially that DB field with Sean Smith & Karl Joseph becoming Raiders.

I would rather get Malik Jackson than Mario Williams & I'd hope for Eric Weddle to wind up a Raider over any other S to help the team transition from Charles Woodson.

I'm not sure about paying Danny Trevathan nicely when Malcolm Smith & Ben Heeney are solid while costing pennies.

The draft is great in theory......but Jaylon Smith is not playing in 2016. He's going to redshirt. The 1st round pick isn't my favorite,

But I love WJIII and Karl Joseph so much that this is a win. I also appreciate how you addressed the RG position.

This mock isn't perfect, but it's hard not to like it for me even if there are things I'd like to go differently (Mario Williams, #14 pick, Trevathan).

One of my favorite mocks thus far, good stuff alex_93. That Zettel in the 4th round is what makes me say "forget Malik Jackson." Outside of the 1st round it's CASH MONEY.

The mocks rock this year.

“If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable."
-Kendrick Lamar
Mack52Attack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Off season Mock I have seen on this site that would be a home run off season good job man! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: