Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raider Expectations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbsk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Raider Expectations Reply with quote

With it being such a slow time of the year it got me to thinking with all the changes gone on and another year on in the McKenzie era how are we really going to perform after all the varying emotions of the offseason, draft, free agents and so on. How is our team going to perform in the real world versus the general predictions on FF and in the media. Would expectations be met, exceeded or would coaches, players and the FO fail to live up to the optimism.

How do you guys see the various areas of the team playing out? Here's my take at this time:

Coaching - Below Expectations
High expectations here with all new, experienced guys coming in and guys who have had success elsewhere. JDR actually wants to coach here and has had a degree of success everywhere he's been. I think the optimism surrounding OC and DC though are not based on great evidence and most (myself included) are hoping for vast improvements without much substantial to back it up.

Quarterback - Below Expectations
Derek Carr gives all the right vibes, is articulate, works hard and could be a very, very good QB. I just feel with most people expecting a big raise in production he may need another season to settle and mature and expectations are maybe a little too high for a 2nd year player with still some big question marks.

Running Game - Exceed Expecations
Most people are being pretty grounded with regard to Murray, he could be a franchise RB but with the caveat he stays healthy and the OL is at least decent. I think Murray could be the real deal and I think Helu is being underestimated. The OL I feel will improve and that will bode well and bring us a 1000 yd rusher for the first time in a while.

Amari Copper - Meets Expectations
I'm a believer. He has really impressed me the more I look into the young man. I don't think many are expecting him to be Calvin Johnson but he will be a very good #1 WR for a long time injuries permitting. I honestly don't feel he can bust if he stays injury free.

Pass Rush - Exceed Expectations
I say exceed because, frankly, expectations are so low! I think Mack may turn pressures into sacks and that will in turn take pressure and focus off Tuck, Edwards, Mayowa and the rest of the line. If they can chip in with 4 or 5 sacks each and a few more from Williams, Wilson and Ellis we could actually be sneaky effective. I can see the LBs being quite prominent in the schemes to apply pressure too.

Cornerbacks - Meet Expectations
We do have latent talent at the position, and Hayden, Carrie and McGill all could break out this year. However, I just feel that if we were relying on 1 of the young guns then we'd be in a much better position than hoping all 3 would simultaneously break out. The odds are that at least one will struggle. Expecations are that we may struggle so I think we won't be terrible but we won't be fearsome just yet.

Feel free to add any other categories or dispute any of the above. Something to keep us going at this tedious time of year Laughing
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have high expectations as I think we still have a little more 'rebuilding' to do and new coaches (<--very rarely do new coaches get everything they want to work working right away). My biggest concern now is if Norton Jr. is the man we need for DC, and if the 'rah-rah' assistant is what we got and not a strategy and scheme coach we need then we might be in trouble. (It helps that Coach JDR is a very good defensive coach and will undoubtedly be helping KNj, but JDR can't give it the full attention he would be able to if he were DC.)
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

performance wise, compared to last year i have high expectations.

Run Defense/Offense i think they both should be in the top 10 this year. Pass offense in the top 20. Barring any major injuries the offense is gonna sht all over last years offense

The secondary is sketchy. I can see them being good or god awful. Our pass rush.... idk, it looks like a big weakness. Khalil's gonna get his, outside of him, question marks, hoping Mario Edwards has a good year....

Blow outs hopefully at a minimum of 2

wins, 9 is our ceiling and 4 is our floor imo

http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=455940&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coaching - Meets Expectations
This is a young team, and doesn't really have allot of talent, but coaching will be better for the young players to grow.

Quarterback - Meets Expectations
Carr will have some better players to throw to, but not much more. Also the running game isn't great unless Murray can stay healthy.

Running Game - Below Expectations
Murray if healthy will make this group better, but not solid on anyone else.

Amari Copper - Exceed Expectations
He will be a big time WR in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

Pass Rush - Meets Expectations
Will be better then last season, how much better is the question.

Cornerbacks - Below Expectations
Hayden might lose the starting job to McGill so this groups overall success will rely on young CB's Carrie and McGill.

Offensive Line - Meets Expectations
I easily could have said below expectations on this one because who knows how the new center will be, how the right side will be, and if Penn will have another good season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Lance wrote:
Coaching - Meets Expectations
This is a young team, and doesn't really have allot of talent, but coaching will be better for the young players to grow.

Quarterback - Meets Expectations
Carr will have some better players to throw to, but not much more. Also the running game isn't great unless Murray can stay healthy.

Running Game - Below Expectations
Murray if healthy will make this group better, but not solid on anyone else.

Amari Copper - Exceed Expectations
He will be a big time WR in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

Pass Rush - Meets Expectations
Will be better then last season, how much better is the question.

Cornerbacks - Below Expectations
Hayden might lose the starting job to McGill so this groups overall success will rely on young CB's Carrie and McGill.

Offensive Line - Meets Expectations
I easily could have said below expectations on this one because who knows how the new center will be, how the right side will be, and if Penn will have another good season.

If we perform to these levels (particularly Carr and the coaching) I think we'll be in for a very pleasant suprise and we may be contending for a Wild Card up until the last few weeks. We seem to be the Bi-Polar NFL team...........years of greatness followed by years of futility with little middle ground.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im most worried about the o-line esp the right side

not liking the early line-up projections

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Im most worried about the o-line esp the right side

not liking the early line-up projections

To be fair, I think we should be fine at RG as one of Watson, Barnes or Feliciano should be able to play at a satisfactory level. At RT it's a bit more concerning unless Watson can step up IMO, Austin Howard was a decent run blocker for the Jets at RT I think that's why we viewed him potentially as an elite RG (before he proved otherwise). He did have his struggles against fast pass rushers though which makes me very nervous against the likes of Houston, Miller and Ray in particular.

I'm expecting us to be good in run blocking and at the very least average in pass protection with a weakness against speed on the edge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: