Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Grade for 2016 Class
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Draft Grade for 2016 Class Reply with quote

I know it is hard to grade a draft class after one year, usually takes 3-4 years..
However as the season ended, what would your report card be for all the rookies from the 2016 class. In hindsight, any alternatives you would have wanted? Thread is just for fun

Draft Class: B
1) Karl Joseph B -earned starting spot, I like the way he plays. Eased into the lineup due to his injury, got burned a few times but what rookie doesn't. Is a sure tackle and a twitch athlete

2) Jihard Ward F -started all year, and couldn't make an impact. I guess he is a project. Derrick Henry would have been nice

3) Shiquille Calhoun D- --- Didn't make much of an impact, flush out on run plays. Maybe just a rough rookie year adjusting to the league?

4) Connor Cook B -Will always be stuck behind Carr, but looks the part of a long time backup QB. Mcgloin was overhyped, and Cook flashed a bit in the playoffs. Good Value in the 4th

5) Deandre Washington A- - part of RB rotation, run hard over the course of the year when given opportunities. May never be the main back, but solid depth and good value in the 5th

6) Cory James C - Had a few bright spots for the late round rookie. A bit small, maybe he can develop the bulk needed to be a depth player/special teamer going forward

7) Vadal Alexander B - held his own whenever he played RT. Could be the future at the RT spot, also played a good role as the 6th offensive lineman. What more can you ask from a 7th rounder.

UDFA Class A
Jalen Richard A+ - not sure how this guy went undrafted. In my opinion, he was the best rookie of 2016. A bit more explosive then Washington, and ideal 3rd down back going forward. Also thrived returning kicks, but I would expand his role on offense and take him off special teams. Made the UDFA class an A.

Darius Latham A- - only 21 years old the entire year, and saw snaps all year. I like his potential as an interior pass rusher. A due to value, and potential

Denver Kirkland B- saw time as 6th offensive lineman and held his own. Looks the part of future depth as RG/RT. Not sure why he didn't get drafted, but great value as UDFA

James Cowser C - made a few plays, thrown to the wolves due to injury and wasn't exposed. Could be future depth

Johnny Holton/Branden Jackson/Antonio Hamilton INC- didn't see many snaps I can recall, but made a 12-4 talented team.

Last edited by DC4_Life on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
raidr4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lord here we go.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayyy too early
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
wayyy too early

report card. Kinda of like the workplace, yearend review

Last edited by DC4_Life on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mack and Cooper drafts spoiled us Raider fans. If we don't end up with 3-4 immediate high impact starters, people question Reggie's picks. IMO this past draft we acquired much needed depth and some starters at a variety of positions, so it wasn't bad.

Of course you would like to see more out of Ward, but he was raw coming out so I am not surprised to see him struggle. Especially given the fact he wasn't even supposed to start (MEJ injury). Joseph is going to be a very good S, Calhoun should be a decent situational pass-rusher, Cook provides some solid depth and a potential piece to ship off down the road, we got two exciting RBs, solid T depth and a good swing T in Alexander, Cowser could be another situational pass-rusher, etc, etc.

Overall, after their rookie seasons this class gets a B-. But of course this grade will heavily change within the next couple years, for better or worse.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Oh lord here we go.

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Oh lord here we go.

LMAO!!!
DC4_Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Oh lord here we go.

LMAO!!!

what does this add to the subject matter?
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph b
Ward f
Calhoun f
Dw b
Corey james c
Vadal c

Ward was a project, i get it, but he literally didnt make a single play. Calhoun was really disappointing, more pro ready and didnt do squat
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cook showed flashes? does a completed pass qualify as a flash? otherwise i didnt see it
Heart of Oak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too early to grade. However, the highlights for me were:

Karl Joseph - nagging injuries aside we have a long term defensive starter and has been a bright spot on a generally dim defense
Connor Cook - wasn't really for taking a QB here, but he showed enough promise to think he can be a really talented back-up (Derek Carr's answer to Steve Young - only joking before everyone over-reacts! Smile )
DeAndre Washington - long term starter at RB in my opinion. I know he is smaller in height, but so was Ray Rice - so what!
Jalen Richard - Here is where the scouting department earned their crust - great change of pace back, receiver out the back field etc etc etc.

Irrespective of where they were drafted (or undrafted) four quality players from any draft class is very acceptable in my view.
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
cook showed flashes? does a completed pass qualify as a flash? otherwise i didnt see it

I guess being inactive for basically the entire season merits a B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to the playoffs with all these rookies playing at one point or another. It was a very solid group. There's no Carr, Mack or Cooper in there but a lot of quality role players.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewing our rookie class is definitely thread worthy. I don't know why everyone has to jump on DC.

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone_Collector wrote:
Reviewing our rookie class is definitely thread worthy. I don't know why everyone has to jump on DC.

I agree, nothing wrong with reviewing year 1 of a draft class. Just think some
People associate "grades" with some type of end all be all measurement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: