Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raider history question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigD1123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Raider history question Reply with quote

So my wife and I are discussing all things football. I tell her how the Raiders were actually the senors for a few weeks before the teams name was made the raiders. Well she thought I might be pulling a fast one so I hit up google. We are reading how a name the team contest was had and that after the team was named the senors the name was changed. The thing is everything I've read sais that the Raiders name came in 3rd. My question is does anyone have an idea what name came in second? And why did we not use it?
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Raiders was the choice of the people. The thing was rigged because our owner back then wanted so badly for us to be called that. It changed a week or 2 later because of the public outcry and jokes.

Wiki it.
S&B Bleeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was this resolved? I know about the Oakland Senors as I lived through that. That name really sucked.
I thought it lasted more than a few weeks. Like maybe a season.
I never heard of the second choice if one actually existed.
BigD1123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
IIRC Raiders was the choice of the people. The thing was rigged because our owner back then wanted so badly for us to be called that. It changed a week or 2 later because of the public outcry and jokes.

Wiki it.

According to wiki senors was first then the owners ect got tired of the jokes and changed it to the Raiders which was third in voting after a few weeks. But I can't find anywhere what name was second in the voting.
Trojan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders wasn't a finalist name on the original contest.

http://www.footballgeography.com/the-autumn-wind-is-a-senor/ wrote:
The team originally chose the Senors nickname from this group of finalists: Admirals, Clippers, Coasters, Diablos, Dolphins, Dons, Gauchos, Grandees, Jets, Knights, Lakers, Metros, Missiles, Nuggets, Redwoods, Seawolves, Senors, and Sequoias.

The Oakland Tribune also printed some of the bad and/or most comical nickname entries. All of which might have still been better than the Senors – well not all of them. Here is a list of those names: 59ers, Aristocrats, Ants, Barnacles, Chipmunks, Credit Cards (like the Chargers), Dnalkao (Oakland spelled backwards), Don Juans, Dummies, Gnu, Johnny-Come-Lately, Litterbugs, Nutcrackers, Oakland Eleven, Oakland Football Players, Oaken Buckets, Oaktermites, Oakley-Doakleys, Prune Pickers, Pumpkin Heads, Quercus Agrifolia, Sourdoughs, Tax Boosters, and Yardbirds.

There were also some people who tried to create a nickname off of the general manager’s surname (Soda). Those names were: Bicarbonates, Soda Crackers, Soda Pops, Soda Springers, and lastly Soda’s Jerks.

Same Source wrote:

[... yada yada pick Senors]
The Oakland Tribune was flooded with complaints. There was even a petition filed in the Superior Court of California (County of Alameda) that asked for the nickname to be changed, and the Oakland City Council voted 4-1 to formally object the name.

About a week later (April 14th) the team responded to the public’s complaints and officially changed their nickname to the Raiders. It was a nickname that 26 people originally suggested in the naming contest.

The team handed out prizes to all of those who had submitted the Raiders moniker in the naming contest; which included giving away another trip to Acapulco. Kendrick Martin was the winner of the second Mexico trip. His winning words were,”because our team and its supporters must be fired and inspired by a fighting name. Raiders implies early sustained offense, carrying the fight to the opponents”.

BigD1123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! Thanks!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: