Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thompson locked up with deal? Mason likely being traded?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true. Lets not be too optimisitc. Mason is an All-pro right now. We still need depth he does still stay. But i see Mason resigning just the fact that McNair might come back. I dunno, we will know very soon whats goin to happen.
Honestly guys i think we have alot of years still contentding for a playoff spot. The cap may raise to 110 Million in 06.And its 86.5 righ now. Every year we are around 110 mill . So but i dunno why this year will be our last as a contender. Maybe McNair leaving, but hes one person, a great person and our franchise but with Fisher and Reese still together theyll do anything in their power to find ways to win. We got loads of potential with our youngster still unproven. Starks, Troupe, Brown, Fleming, Haynesworth, Odom, Shobel, Calico Woolfolk, Bell. These are the people that really determines our status as a playoff contender not McNair.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said Mason could be replaced immediately by a rookie. I just said he could be replaced. We could replace him with a fourth rounder or we could with a 1st rounder. Hell, we could draft a 7th round WR and he could be just as good as Mason IN A FEW YEARS. We could also sign a vet WR at the minimum to help Mac out whether or not Mason leaves. It's not the end of our playoff chances if we lose Mase.

Heres just a short list of WR drafted in the 3rd round and beyond
Antonio Freeman, Mason, Justin McCareins, T.J. Houshmanzedah, Terrel Owens, Joe Horn, Hines Ward, Corey Bradford. That's just to name a few so we could find Mason's replacement in the later rounds.
Burton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Givens is a free agent, he would cost much, what about him replacing Mason if he does infact leave?

With the 3rd pick in the first round the Tennessee
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could afford him I'd love to have him.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just got a question. How big is Mason's cap number right now? Ive heard it was lik 3.25 million. If that is the case then why should we cut or trade him? He is definitely worth that money. We have many other players making more money than that and we should be worrying about them and not Mason.
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For teams that have some cap room that's an average cap number and a pretty good deal, but for us it's quite a bit. He must restructure or he will be gone. That also goes for Rolle but if he doesn't restructure we may still try to keep him.
Burton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter needs to restruture badly, why is he making more than McNair?

bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter has already said he'll stay in Nashville and restructure. He is the key to getting under the cap so we need to get something worked out soon.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:
Ive just got a question. How big is Mason's cap number right now? Ive heard it was lik 3.25 million. If that is the case then why should we cut or trade him? He is definitely worth that money. We have many other players making more money than that and we should be worrying about them and not Mason.

Mason actually carries a cap number of $6.65 M this upcoming year. His salary is only 3.2 M, but you have to include his 1.5M roster bonus and his 1.95 M prorated SB. If we cut him or traded him, we would save a whopping 4.7M this year. That's not chump change at ll.

As far as to why Carter's cap hit is bigger than McNair's (a difference of about 1 M and a half) , its becuase of the place each in on their contracts. Carter's contract (the way its structured) ends after 06 and he carries an extra 2M roster bonus this season. McNair's contracted runs until 09 and his base salaries are gonna keep escalating year after year. That's not to mention his 50 M roster bonus he's due in 06 and the extra prorations of SB that he keeps accumalating everytime he restructures his contract the way he did this year. As it stands right now, with McNairs's restructure, he's got a cap hit of about 16.5 next year and Carter is at 14.2. But since he's in the last year of his contract (unless he signs an extension this year instead of a straight pay cut) we could save his 9M salary if we just cut him next offseason and would only have to absorb his 5M proration of his SB.
Burton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I heard 50 mil on ESPN i thought it was a mistake, does that all count towards the salary cap next year!@?!?!

titans#1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it wont count agains the cap. I doubt that he will even see that money. Theyll figure away of not givin it to him. Ex. resigning or restructuring his contract.
seminoles1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans#1fan wrote:
No it wont count agains the cap. I doubt that he will even see that money. Theyll figure away of not givin it to him. Ex. resigning or restructuring his contract.

Just like we do every year. Thats how we got in this situation this year man.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear this seminoles.. it aint goin to matter since we are goin to lose Carter, Rolle, and Mason... And with all these cuts why in the hell would steve mcnair come back??
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titansfan#1 don't believe everything you read in the Tennessean. This could happen but I doubt it. The Tennessean sports writers are below par IMO.
Burton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes maybe one or two of those, but thats like our whole team, that would horrible managment if they just plain and simple got rid of every player that makes a difference on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: