Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anrbowen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

What are the Colts biggest voids to fill come draft day? What's most important to fill first?
elling2008

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The Colts have a couple of areas that they can improve on.

WR: Wayne is going to become a free agent, and the colts may not have the money to keep him. It looks right now as if the Colts will have to choose between Wayne and James, and I myself believe they will go for the running back. Stockley is a possible replacement, but the Franchise doesn't seem ready to make him the #2 reciever. Troy Walters is also a possiblity, but we arn't ready to make him a starter on 2 good games.

RB: James contract is up at the end of the year. Rhoades is a ok Back-up, but not starting material.

Guard: Lilja isn't what the Colts thought he was going to be. He's been good at pass blocking, but he hasn't preformed in the open for run blocking.
MNorona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone represent the colts in a gm mock draft? http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36718&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with you Elling.

WR will continue to be a problem as Harrison, Wayne and Stokely compound a difficult salary cap position for Indy. Stokely may work well in the slot, but would not be as productive as a #2. I like Maurice Stovall in the slot position as a bigger, physical reciever Peyton can look to near the end zone, and available in a later round.

Line depth is a problem. The colts are adept at drafting starting linemen late in the draft (Saturday, Diem, Lilja, Meadows, etc.), but injuries are always a risk, and depth doesn't appear to be there. Matt Lentz of Michigan and Adam Wentworth of LSU could be Day 2 bargains.

I also have great concerns about the CB play. It is still sub-par. Either of the Penn State corners would make natural cover 2 guys, although Zemaitius may be a first round pick.
brandon_2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

I think that the Colts biggest nedds right now are RB and DB/CB. The linebackers that they have are great (Cato June, Gary Brackett). Rob Morris isn't very good. But the CB's are a problem they can fix with either Free Agency or the 2006 NFL Draft. And the biggest problem they have is RB, in the offseason if the Colts' choose to let Esgerrin James walk then they have a void to fill at RB. And by the time they get to draft (high 20's even 30's) all the good RB will be taken. LenDale White, DeAngelo Williams, ect. But they may take a chance on someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. That SD RB is quick and would be a good fit for Indianapolis.
elling2008

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Morris has been replaced incase no one noticed. He lost his job after Gary Brackett filled in for him Week 1 at the Ravens. Morris is healthy, he's doing speciel teams, but he's not starting anymore.

The Colts used last years 1st round on Merlin Jackson, a CB. I really have trouble seeing them going 2 years in a row with the same postition when both of the starters from 3 years ago are still here. We were going to try to trade Nick Harper in the last offseason, but no one would take him. And honestly, he's just a difffernt type of Corner than most people are used to seeing. He doesn't land the INTs, but he'll leave a game with 4 or 5 knockdowns. He's also highly physical and this is going with Dungy's plan. I also remember agiesnt the 49ers when he tipped the ball to Cato June allowing him to get the INT. I can however see us getting rid of Jason David. But still, a first round pick for the second year in a row? i just don't see it happening.
CaptainPud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the San Diego game, in particular though, emphasized that if Freeney and company don't generate an immediate pass rush, the secondary as a whole has no chance of defending the deep pass. Doss\Sanders are designed as run enforcers\over the top bullies in the cover 2, not man-defenders. Harper\David\etc. are better than in previous years, but not good enough.

Honestly, if you doubt they would spend two years in a row on DB, do you think they would spend the next pick on offense, notwithstanding the Edge situation?
brandon_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want them to spend a 1st round draft choice for another DB. They could maybe pick one up in a later round of get one in FA. But maybe we should let James walk, then trade down to get a 2nd and 3rd round choice in the draft. Then we shuold give Miami a call about Ricky Williams. He could be a great fit in Indinapolis. He has the power running style just like James but he is a little younger and he is in his prime. I don;t think that year off hurt Williams one bit. He is still as good as he was in 2002.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resign Freeney
resign Brock
resign James
sign and trade Mathis (3rd rounder)
let Wayne walk
let Thornton walk

We really don't need to rush out and draft a DB on day one
1st rounder - OLB
2nd rounder - WR
3rd rounder(a) - OT
3rd rounder(b) - DE
4th rounder - traded to Eagles
5th rounder - QB
6th rounder - CB
7th rounder - DT
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
sportskid_021

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say see what trade value edge/reggie have and if u get a good offer then trade em
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportskid_021 wrote:
i say see what trade value edge/reggie have and if u get a good offer then trade em

unfortunately they are both unrestricted free agents and we'd have to outbid other teams to sign them in order to trade them, not logical on the Colts side
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: