Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Engineering the Falcons blueprint for the future
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Engineering the Falcons blueprint for the future Reply with quote

I posted this at the AFMB today, so I figured I would post it here since some of you don't visit the board. I also posted another write-up about a couple days ago at AFMB, and I will post that in another thread for seperate comments.
1/18/06

When I look at this team, like everyone else, the holes are obvious & glaring. We need a ton of help on both lines, we need a quality coverage Safety, we really do need another quality corner that can man cover the #2 WR's in our division, and we need a big time kicker (Peterson is quality, but we need our Vinatieri).

The problems with deciding what we're going to take and the moves we're going to make is that we don't know who is going to coach some key positions next year. QB coach has to be filled, but is of the least concern when it comes to this draft & our future. Line coach is a big issue right now with us waiting to see if Gibbs comes back or Tice takes the job. Personally, I am hoping for Tice. The other issue is who will be our Strength & Condiditioning coach. This is important for our future, but no so much in terms of the draft.

Going under the assumption that we will hire Tice and that we will be looking to maximize the talent we have at linebacker rather than trading them away for low round picks, I will construct a blueprint that could build the nucleus of our team for the future. This plan will use some of the moves that I have suggested previously and will require you, and our Front Office, to think outside the box a little bit.

*Disclaimer - this is what i would like for us to do, moreso than what I think the Falcons will do. If they do it, then I believe it would make for a powerful adjustment to our team that could have us starting a dynasty run within a couple years.

First & foremost, we will have to move Schaub because he will be gone after next year & we will get a pick in next year's much weaker draft instead of a pick in the best draft class in the past 20 years. Moving him before the draft is a borderline must, as his value would bring an extra top 50 pick and that is huge in this draft as it is a first rounder in any other draft.

Secondly, we don't worry about Duckett. He is still good on the goal line & that is something we need quite frankly. He won't be leaving because he knows he won't get any money.

Third, we have a talk with Vick. We let him know that we gave him that money because we see him being the Michael Jordan of this sport, and that Jordan needed a lot of help to win Championships. We tell him that we plan on getting him the rest of his help NOW, so that the team will be ready to follow him to the promised land in a year or two.

Also, we hire Mike Tice to help us draft & build the kind of O line we need here. He likes a couple of the linemen of course, but thinks we could get bigger & sturdier on the left side in order to improve our pass protection & become a more consistent running attack (we all know our run game gets shut down by good D's).

Finally, Blank has a conversatin with the coaches & Front Office to let them know that Home Depot was not built in 3 years. It takes time to get the pieces in place to make the dynasty run we Atlanta fans have waited for over 40 years, and we're going to line this team up to make it happen ASAP. What this means is that Blank will not make any decisions on coaches or FO personnel based on the 2006 or 2007 seasons. We will be looking to bring in more talent, but that will cost us experience once again. We want to give Knapp as much oppotunity to build this team properly as we can and it begins with the 2006 NFL Draft.

We trade Schaub for the Jets' 2nd round pick, 36th overall. Pennington cannot be relied upon, and they will probably not have a shot at either of the 2 top QB's. Mangini saw first hand what Schaub could bring to the table when we played the Pats this year and supports the move.

We trade down in the first with the Steelers for their 1st this year, 2nd this year, and their 3rd next year since this year's picks are worth much more

We realease/don't re-sign a lot of the vets, including Shaffer, Edwards, White, King, Flowers, Pathon, Carpenter, Heard, & then Detmer retires. This leaves a lot of room for the draftees and FA signings we make. Hopefully, Dunn restructures but I highly doubt it so I'm not going to include it.

We sign these players in the FA period: Travis Hall, Chris Hope, Andre Davis, a veteran backup QB (Brooks maybe?), and some fillers & special teamers. We may not be able to afford much more than this, especially if we're going to have the number of picks I am suggesting. ____________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to the 2006 National Football League Amateur Draft.

The Houston texans are on the clock:

1) Vince Young - Texans
2) Matt Leinart - Saints
3) Reggie Bush - Titans
4) D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Jets
5) Mario Williams - Green Bay
6) Michael Huff - Raiders
7) AJ Hawk - 49ers
Cool Haloti Ngata - Bills
9) Jimmy Williams - Lions
10) Winston Justice - Cardinals
11) Rams - Tamba Hali
12) DeAngelo Williams - Browns
13) Jay Cutler - Ravens
14) Santonio Homes - Eagles
15) Lendale White - Steelers
16) Johnathan Scott - Dolphins
17) Laurence Maroney - Vikings
1Cool Chad Greenway - Cowboys
19) Ko Simpson - Chargers
20) Tye Hill - Chiefs
21) Mathias Kiwanuka - Broncos (from Redskins)
22) Bobby Carpenter - Patriots
23) Eric Winston - Bucs
24) Antonio Cromartie - Giants
25) Leonard Pope - Bears
26) Manny Lawson - Jags
27) Marcedes Lewis - Bengals
2Cool Brodrick Bunkely - Colts
29) Rod Wright - Falcons
30) Demeco Ryans - Seahawks
31) Claude Wroten - Panthers
32) Pat Watkins - Broncos

The rest of the Falcons draft:

2a) 36th overall - Marcus McNeil
2b) 47th overall - Johnathan Joseph
2c) 61st overall - Ray Edwards
3) 79th overall - Jason Allen
4) 111th overall - Conner Hughes
5) 143rd overall - Marcus Maxey/Devin Hester
6) 175th overall - Patrick Ross
7) 207th overall - Willie Reid

Our defense next year would look like this:
Hope DeMo Williams

Webster/Joseph D.Hall
Brooking Hartwell Boley
T.Hall/Edwards Wright Coleman Kerney

I think Joseph & Edwards could beat out Hall & Webster by the end of the year, so I put them as a partial starter. That has the potential to be a very good defnsive unit with our coaches & the veterans sprinkled throughout. Jason Allen is our DeMo insurance policy, just in case. Cash, Allen, and Maxey will assure we have enough TRUE corners to play nickel & dime when the need arises.

Our offense next year would be this:

Jenkins McNeil Ross/Lehr McClure/Lehr Forney Weiner Crumpler R.White
Vick
Griffith
Dunn

This would add a good bit of size & power to our line, and should improve our passblocking as the young guys gain experience. Dunn could get lost behind a left side of McNeil & Ross, and moving Lehr to Center would add even more size.

While it is not the sexiest offseason & draft, it is the ideal situation for us as it fixes our obvious holes with both veterans and young guys who could start pretty quickly if the need should arise. I think Wright's size & athleticism, as with McNeil's, make them ideal high picks & day one starters. Allen had a shot to start from day one, as does Joseph, if either shows they are clearly ready to take on the Mark Claytons & Kerry Colberts of our division. Signing travis Hall is a cheaper alternative to Brady Smith and adds a solid veteran to help the rookie on that side of the line. McNeil will get a trial by fire unfortuantely, as he takes on the Rices & Ruckers in our division. His will be the toughest job of all, but his athleticism & natural strength will help him greatly in handling the task.

Overall, this is exactly what I would like to see the Falcons do because within a couple years it could make for a dynasty team. The young linemen will need time to develop & get used to playing in the NFL, so i don't expect this to make us instantly better. Over time though, it will make us so much better and it will allow our stud players to make more plays more consistently.

I know this is not the popular view on things, but if we draft Safeties and small linemen we're going to end up getting bounced out of the playoffs regularly by the Carolinas, Seattles, and Philadelphias in the NFC. Even the Redskins have a highly touted offensive line with high draft picks. At some point the Falcons have to quit thinking glory picks and start thinking what will make our team better over the long run. I really like Huff, DeAngelo Williams, and some of the other guys who might be there at the 15th pick, but what we need to do is get together a lot of picks and address our problems up front. It's the only way we're going to end up where we want to be, which is on top of the NFC for years.

Props to Scar for the sweetest sig on the site!
Hudson4MVP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Good Plan Reply with quote

I like your approach to building this team for long-term success. A lot of the fans can't envision the Falcons in those terms. I agree that we need to take advantage of this year's draft because I feel that this is one of the best draft in terms of overall talent at every position. I post on a couple of other Falcons' site and I have been catching flak from fans because I say that we need a little more size and athleticism along both the O-line and D-line. Can everyone imagine pairing Wright alongside Rod Coleman, the Falcons interior defense would open up a lot for the defensive ends. Great post!!!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we won' t bring in tice.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also Gibbs is coming back next year in the same way he did this year and we will likely promote Clancy Barone to the OL coach job.

TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson4MVP wrote:
I like your approach to building this team for long-term success. A lot of the fans can't envision the Falcons in those terms. I agree that we need to take advantage of this year's draft because I feel that this is one of the best draft in terms of overall talent at every position. I post on a couple of other Falcons' site and I have been catching flak from fans because I say that we need a little more size and athleticism along both the O-line and D-line. Can everyone imagine pairing Wright alongside Rod Coleman, the Falcons interior defense would open up a lot for the defensive ends. Great post!!!

You know, you're only the second person that has agreed with what I am talking about here. Everyone wants to draft a Safety or corner in the first & try to get some 4th round DE to hold the point of attack....? Every team in our division has used multiple first round picks on their lines, and here we are with a bunch of 7th round Offensive linemen and only Kerney was a first for the D line. This plan would probably not get us into the playoffs next year but, as you stated, it is a blueprint to set us up for long term success. You know who Rod Wright reminds me of? Richard Seymoour. McNeil = Bryant McKinnie, Joseph = Champ Bailey potentially.

scar988 wrote:
also Gibbs is coming back next year in the same way he did this year and we will likely promote Clancy Barone to the OL coach job.

I really, really hope not. I would rather us bring Tice in here & cut ties with Gibbs and his system for the most part, although we would still run some zone plays & McNeil is athletic enough to do it.

Bad Scooter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineering the Falcons blueprint for the future Reply with quote

Good post. Well thought-out.

A couple of points...

TheIncomparable wrote:

First & foremost, we will have to move Schaub because he will be gone after next year

Not true. Schaub will be a restricted free agent after 2006. The Falcons can still keep him if they wish.

TheIncomparable wrote:

Secondly, we don't worry about Duckett. He is still good on the goal line & that is something we need quite frankly. He won't be leaving because he knows he won't get any money.

I think Duckett's days are numbered as a Falcon. I like the power he brings, but he won't be an every down back in Knapp's version of the West Coast offense.

TheIncomparable wrote:
We trade down in the first with the Steelers for their 1st this year, 2nd this year, and their 3rd next year since this year's picks are worth much more

I don't think this happens. First of all, the Steelers have to want to trade up, and I can't see anyone that they desperately need right now at the 15th spot. Secondly, if they did make the trade, they won't take a RB. They already have a very, very good running back in Willie Parker.

TheIncomparable wrote:

We trade Schaub for the Jets' 2nd round pick, 36th overall.

In spite of the fact that we could keep Schaub after 2006, this might be a good move. Schaub's value has probably never been higher. There's a certain risk you run holding onto him for another year. If you could a 2nd and, say, a 4th for him, you absolutely do it. A second rounder this early on? Very tempting. I'd have to do it.[/quote]

TheIncomparable wrote:
We realease/don't re-sign a lot of the vets, including Shaffer, Edwards, White, King, Flowers, Pathon, Carpenter, Heard,

If Carpenter can come cheap, he might be worth holding onto for depth.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I really, really hope not. I would rather us bring Tice in here & cut ties with Gibbs and his system for the most part, although we would still run some zone plays & McNeil is athletic enough to do it.

I personally would rather KEEP Gibbs. McNeill is too tall for a QB like Vick.

TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're wrong Scar, but most likely you're not.

As for Bad Scooter, with the Steelers losing Bettis & possibly Staley, I think they could be looking to move up to snag Lendale White if he is still around.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncomparable wrote:

As for Bad Scooter, with the Steelers losing Bettis & possibly Staley, I think they could be looking to move up to snag Lendale White if he is still around.

Gibbs is coming back as a "consultant" again. and likely Clancy Barone will be the new OL coach. Dalman will eb back as the assistant OL coach and we will fidn a new TE coach.

TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
TheIncomparable wrote:

Gibbs is coming back as a "consultant" again. and likely Clancy Barone will be the new OL coach. Dalman will eb back as the assistant OL coach and we will fidn a new TE coach.

Oh the joy. Well, at least I know we won't take a lineman or RB on day one of the draft now. Laughing

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncomparable wrote:
scar988 wrote:
TheIncomparable wrote:

Oh the joy. Well, at least I know we won't take a lineman or RB on day one of the draft now. Laughing

well RB we mihgt take and maybe a OL if Daryn Colledge is there at our pick in the 2nd. I think that first rounders are mainly what we don't look at.

Bad Scooter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncomparable wrote:

Good points about Bettis and Staley. However, again, unless Rich McKay is a doofus, the cost for the Steelers to move up 15+ spots would be (should be) very, very steep. I don't see them making that dramatic of a move when other good RBs would be available if they stay put.
TheIncomparable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a possibility that they wouldn't trade up, and it's also possible that we wouldn't trade down anyways. The reports of Schaub being shopped around make me think we won't trade down.

MadAtFalcons

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so uh, how sure are we about that trade to dallas for rnd1 and 2 picks for schaub? you know i actually really like schaub and thats why id be glad if we traded him, so he could be a starter.

What's a fan to do when his team keeps falling apart?
Try and pick the pieces up of his broken heart?
Bad Scooter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadAtFalcons wrote:
so uh, how sure are we about that trade to dallas for rnd1 and 2 picks for schaub? you know i actually really like schaub and thats why id be glad if we traded him, so he could be a starter.

1. First and 2nd round picks for Schaub? Where has this been reported/speculated?

2. If this is indeed true, the Falcons would be foolish to not make that deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: