Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Car Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6120
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Another common mistake people make is not spending money on good snow tires. I don't understand why people assume all season tires are effective on snow and ice.

I agree with your comment AWD/4WD can't fix stupid. The majority of accidents occur because people can't stop and last checked that has nothing to do with AWD/4WD. People are simply prone to over driving road conditions. Combine that with lack of preparation for stopping and its accident time.
Personally I don't have snow tires. All-season suffice as long as you know the limits of them. You just have to know when too much is too much. Which of course, snow tires will work better and work better in worst conditions. Hell last winter I drove on summer tires, smart? Hell no, but I knew that if there was snow on the road my car was parked.

You have to know the limits of yourself, your car, your tires and the road conditions. Having dedicated snow tires certainly help over all-seasons though if you have the extra money and space for them. Kinda all goes back to you can't fix stupid and over driving the road conditions as you said.


Winter tires rock. They are wayyy better than all-seasons in snow, ice and cold temperatures. They have much more effect on your ability to drive in the winter than does AWD. AWD only helps you accelerate and can keep you from getting stuck in the snow. It does nothing to help you stop or turn.

Also, it's difficult to buy a car nowadays without ABS and traction control, both of which require a certain amount traction to work effectively.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek


Last edited by milanb on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:

What kind of car? Replacing a heater core can get extremely costly. Hopefully im wrong and its not the heater core, but i doubt it. But It could be a crimped line preventing the hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. It could also be your thermostat or the heater core is clogged up. If you are able to locate the heater core you can feel the 2 hoses, one should be hot and one should be warm. If they are both warm its probably thermostat, if they are both hot its probably the heater core its self.

Also be sure to check your coolant level just to be sure. Wouldn't want you to take it to the shop for them to tell you it just needed coolant Laughing


It's a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. I had to replace the engine module control just last month and a couple weeks before that I spent 1500 on new tires, oil change, and brakes. A week before that it was the battery.

It doesn't get very cold down here - at least to me so I might hold off until after xmas to get this fixed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HOVA333


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 4764
Location: Brockton MA Richard Sherman is a Pansy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Neumatic wrote:

What kind of car? Replacing a heater core can get extremely costly. Hopefully im wrong and its not the heater core, but i doubt it. But It could be a crimped line preventing the hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. It could also be your thermostat or the heater core is clogged up. If you are able to locate the heater core you can feel the 2 hoses, one should be hot and one should be warm. If they are both warm its probably thermostat, if they are both hot its probably the heater core its self.

Also be sure to check your coolant level just to be sure. Wouldn't want you to take it to the shop for them to tell you it just needed coolant Laughing


It's a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. I had to replace the engine module control just last month and a couple weeks before that I spent 1500 on new tires, oil change, and brakes. A week before that it was the battery.

It doesn't get very cold down here - at least to me so I might hold off until after xmas to get this fixed.


How cold does it get in Atlanta.
_________________

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Neumatic wrote:

What kind of car? Replacing a heater core can get extremely costly. Hopefully im wrong and its not the heater core, but i doubt it. But It could be a crimped line preventing the hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. It could also be your thermostat or the heater core is clogged up. If you are able to locate the heater core you can feel the 2 hoses, one should be hot and one should be warm. If they are both warm its probably thermostat, if they are both hot its probably the heater core its self.

Also be sure to check your coolant level just to be sure. Wouldn't want you to take it to the shop for them to tell you it just needed coolant Laughing


It's a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. I had to replace the engine module control just last month and a couple weeks before that I spent 1500 on new tires, oil change, and brakes. A week before that it was the battery.

It doesn't get very cold down here - at least to me so I might hold off until after xmas to get this fixed.

Just at least make sure and check your coolant. You could have a leak and a new heater core is nothing compared to a cracked block and needing a new engine due to overheating.

Here's a site I found talking about a myriad of issues on your particular cars heating system - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11329b/85

Several potential issues, but a few questions. Any leaks? If so, have you ever used stop leak? Have you ever had your coolant changed and/or flushed?

Sounds like it could be a matter of your heater core being clogged or overly dirty due to poor coolant used by the manufacturer.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HOVA333


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 4764
Location: Brockton MA Richard Sherman is a Pansy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Neumatic wrote:

What kind of car? Replacing a heater core can get extremely costly. Hopefully im wrong and its not the heater core, but i doubt it. But It could be a crimped line preventing the hot coolant from flowing through the heater core. It could also be your thermostat or the heater core is clogged up. If you are able to locate the heater core you can feel the 2 hoses, one should be hot and one should be warm. If they are both warm its probably thermostat, if they are both hot its probably the heater core its self.

Also be sure to check your coolant level just to be sure. Wouldn't want you to take it to the shop for them to tell you it just needed coolant Laughing


It's a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. I had to replace the engine module control just last month and a couple weeks before that I spent 1500 on new tires, oil change, and brakes. A week before that it was the battery.

It doesn't get very cold down here - at least to me so I might hold off until after xmas to get this fixed.

Just at least make sure and check your coolant. You could have a leak and a new heater core is nothing compared to a cracked block and needing a new engine due to overheating.

Here's a site I found talking about a myriad of issues on your particular cars heating system - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11329b/85

Several potential issues, but a few questions. Any leaks? If so, have you ever used stop leak? Have you ever had your coolant changed and/or flushed?

Sounds like it could be a matter of your heater core being clogged or overly dirty due to poor coolant used by the manufacturer.


Maybe its just a air pocket.
_________________

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
HOVA333


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 4764
Location: Brockton MA Richard Sherman is a Pansy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Sure you can drive a RWD car with substantial power safely in the snow, but in my experience it's that you have to really take care with it. The point of AWD is that you can drive more close to normal without changing your style in varied weather conditions.


Threw 2 snow tires on the Supra last winter. No problems. It was funny seeing my friend get stuck on a turn in his Civic while I pass him like it was nothing!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

AWD for the win though. Much safer in harsh conditions, but tires to factor into stopping distance not awd.
_________________

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hammertime52


Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 10873
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna be getting a 2005 V6 mustang. Anyone ever have one?
_________________

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 13 Sacks: 1 Interceptions: 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neumatic


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 8169
Location: Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
Im gonna be getting a 2005 V6 mustang. Anyone ever have one?
I haven't but the Mustang has a very large fallowing. Im sure you can easily find another forum on the web that is dedicated to the Mustang that will help you out with any questions you might have.
_________________

Jamison. on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9417
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, finally got my new car and now it's time to sell my old one. Any pointers for how I should sell my car on the private level? I bought "for Sale" signs and put them on my car windows. So far that is working ok with getting exposure. I also put a free ad on craigslist and cars.com. Any other tips for selling and completing the sale? Should I make a bill of sale for when I do finally sell it?
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 14195
Location: Kennesaw, GA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
OK, finally got my new car and now it's time to sell my old one. Any pointers for how I should sell my car on the private level? I bought "for Sale" signs and put them on my car windows. So far that is working ok with getting exposure. I also put a free ad on craigslist and cars.com. Any other tips for selling and completing the sale? Should I make a bill of sale for when I do finally sell it?

That's really the best way to privately sell it. If it has mods done to it there's another site you can look up called mautofied. He'll I think you can post without mods on it. It's free too. Really I would say if other sites are mentioned post it on all. The main thing to do is put the exact same price on all sites. It will make someone mad if they look on another site for price ranges and see on one site your saying one price, and on another site a different price (assuming you use the same pics and stuff).

Any serious offers? If so what source were they from?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9417
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
OK, finally got my new car and now it's time to sell my old one. Any pointers for how I should sell my car on the private level? I bought "for Sale" signs and put them on my car windows. So far that is working ok with getting exposure. I also put a free ad on craigslist and cars.com. Any other tips for selling and completing the sale? Should I make a bill of sale for when I do finally sell it?

That's really the best way to privately sell it. If it has mods done to it there's another site you can look up called mautofied. He'll I think you can post without mods on it. It's free too. Really I would say if other sites are mentioned post it on all. The main thing to do is put the exact same price on all sites. It will make someone mad if they look on another site for price ranges and see on one site your saying one price, and on another site a different price (assuming you use the same pics and stuff).

Any serious offers? If so what source were they from?
I haven't got any serious buyers yet. I just listed it last week. I had a guy approach me on Saturday about it. He said he wanted to let his wife and daughter see it first and he took a bunch of pics of the car so hopefully he just buys it so I'm done. Laughing
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohr


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 3184
Location: University of Louisville
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new car. Very Happy

(just a google images picture, but this is what I got.)
_________________


[quote="Silver&Black88"]
IS SHE STUPID WITH THE LIGHTS OFF?!?[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 16368
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly car but a good car.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9417
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohr wrote:
I got a new car. Very Happy

(just a google images picture, but this is what I got.)
beautiful car. That's the 5 series right? My cousin got one this summer and it was awesome. It's a lease. You must be ballin'.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neumatic


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 8169
Location: Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many good deals this black friday on parts for my car. Must. resist. urge.
_________________

Jamison. on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 97 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group