Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Car Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: The Car Thread Reply with quote

Talking about the Lexus LF-A got my juices flowing...and I personally think that discussion such as this should not be limited for when a beast such as the LF-A takes center stage. We should talk about this all of the time...

...so here I am with a new thread. Wink

For the sake of redundancy, I'll skip on the LF-A...but you know my thoughts on it: It's a shark in the M/AMC tank, something thrown into the water that says that Lexus can hang with the big fish in the performance arena.

Now...one brand name has yet to make an entrance: Acura. (Nissan/Infiniti joined the fray with the GT-R, but IMO...they shot themselves in the foot by branding it as a Nissan. I get they didn't want to steal people away from the wildly popular G Series and the Nissan Z sales were lagging, so Nissan made sense on paper...but as a Nissan branded vehicle, it doesn't POP as much to the everyday consumer, only holding mass appeal to true enthusiasts. However, I digress...)

The word is that Acura is entering the fray with none other than the Japanese Ferrari...also known as the NSX. I posted up spy shots of an cloaked Acura vehicles taking laps out in Germany, so I'll pass on that...but here are some interesting tidbits:

- Initial reports had the car going with a 5.5 liter, 600 HP V-10 engine. (Yeah... Shocked )

- However...the talk is that engine has been "scrapped" at this time. (Dimes to dollars, willing to bet there will be less than 1,000 NSXs with this powerplant made, a la the LF-A). What Honda/Acura is looking to do...is bring up a supercar with some heart. The Next gen Acura RL has one of the most advanced green/next gen hybrid engines available. What Acura is going to do is transplant this technology into the NSX, generating a 450+ HP V6 hybrid.

More info here.

To me...this plays to what the NSX was; Not a powerhouse in terms of straight line brute force (original NSXs topped out at 276 HP, IIRC) but a nimble sprinter in the twisties, one that let the tires slip a bit, but always maintained grace while running at full speed.

The photos and blog tell me that it's switching to a front engine/all wheel drive setup as opposed to the past generation's mid engine/rear wheel setup. Might be a good move...but the mid/rear setup had so much balance to the old NSX and was one of the key reasons why the past NSX was such a nimble sprinter; Weight balance and just the right amount of push on the back tires made it take to the turns with just the right amount of controlled chaos. An all wheel/front mounted engine is nice...but it's not what the NSX was, you know what I mean?

I dunno, maybe I'm looking to far into this...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
KlassiK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this new thread, huge car fanatic here.

Love seeing what they're doing but its taking too long IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not by any means a car guy so I have a few questions about the normal cars.

First of all I hear Ford is shutting down its Mercury Brand. Now how good are Mercury cars. Do they have high maintenance costs or are they more like Honda's and Toyotas in the whole, oil changes and one 80k/100k tune ups?

Also does mercury have specific parts or are they relatively interchangeable with Ford. The reason I ask is, we are looking to get a new car or suv. My mother wants an SUV for the 4 wheel drive. I figure the Milian has a sedan with AWD which would be fine for the winters here. But if something goes wrong I would hope they wouldnt be custom parts and we would be screwed.

So any details about the Milian and Mariner would be awesome

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets go with this to drum up some more discussion:

Top 5 cars of all time (according to you...please note that the MSRP is the price you'd have to pay to buy one now):

1. 1986-2010 BMW M3 (MSRP: $58,400)
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound...the best car in the world. No other car blends speed, handling, luxury and overall peformance like the M3 does...and with a $60K price tag, it's relatively affordable when compared to the Z06/GT-R/Carrera segment it competes against. For the last 15 years, it looked as if BMW couldn't outdue themselves with their M3, but they do so...every release, mind you.

2. 2003 Ferrari Enzo (MSRP: Apprx $1,000,000+)
In most of the cars I list, there is a sense of practicality with all of 'em. If you have the scratch, you can google up some car sites, find the one you want, fill out the paperwork and be spinning the tires in no time. The exception to this rule? The Ferrari Enzo. Only 400 Enzos were made in the world and 349 of the 400 were sold well before the first engine was complete. (50 more were added to the original number due to demand. The 400th one was built and auctioned off to raise money for the 2004 Tsunami victims in the Pacific). This car is the closest the world will get to a fully tuned F1 Racer that is 100% legal to drive in traffic. (Not that you would...) At 651 HP with radically advanced aerodynamic and stability features, this car could hold a candle to the highly modified stock cars found in NASCAR. For a production vehicle to claim that...is nothing short of amazing.

3. 2000 Nissan R34 Skyline (MSRP: Apprx $70,000)
Back in my college days, I was a big Gran Turismo fan. The realism of the cars was something else...but there was one car that defied reality to me at the time: The R-34 Skyline. The rest of the cars in the game I had seen on the roads as I cruised around in my beat up Galant...but this one was rather foreign to me, nowhere to be seen on the streets. Twin turbo V6 engine, all wheel drive, carbon fiber all through the body...this car was made to run, and it outran everyone in its class (a class that includes the Ferrari 360 Modena, The Lamborgini Diablo and the Carrera Twin Turbo, mind you). This was the pinnacle of Japanese sports technology...and in its homeland, it had only one REAL rival...

4. 1996 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo (MSRP: Apprx $35,500)
With 320 HP, the Twin Turbo Supra was a Mustang/Camaro killer from the onset. The curvy shape of the Supra was akin to something you would doodle back in elementary school while in detention, the rear wing was outlandish (yet functional) and the Twin Turbos would spool at such a high rate that parking it was akin to landing a jet as opposed to parking a Corolla. The Twin Turbo served a different function as opposed to other cars with dual turbos; The Supra would engage a turbine at the lower level of the powerband to get initial force...and as the car was asked to go faster, the first turbo would disengage while the 2nd turbo would fire off. This made the Supra a rare beast, a turbo aspired vehicle that maintained it's sprinting speed all through the powerband. Alas, such blatant use of the turbos was not good, as the Supra was eventually outlawed by areas with strict emission standards.

5. 1967 Corvette Stingray 427 (MSRP: $55,000)
In a word: Beautiful. This car was not one to compromise, with a 300 HP/ 427 engine. No fuel injection, no power steering, no automatic transmission, no navigation system...heck, no radio and AC in most models. Did it matter? No. This car was...is...and always WILL be the definition of good ol' Detroit muscle. Subsiquent Corvette models would start to grow tamer and tamer as the years progressed, but with the newest Z06 models coming to the forefront of the "most bang for your buck" discussions...this car is starting to get back to where the Stingray 427 spirit, which was zero compromise and 100% power.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
I am not by any means a car guy so I have a few questions about the normal cars.

First of all I hear Ford is shutting down its Mercury Brand. Now how good are Mercury cars. Do they have high maintenance costs or are they more like Honda's and Toyotas in the whole, oil changes and one 80k/100k tune ups?

Also does mercury have specific parts or are they relatively interchangeable with Ford. The reason I ask is, we are looking to get a new car or suv. My mother wants an SUV for the 4 wheel drive. I figure the Milian has a sedan with AWD which would be fine for the winters here. But if something goes wrong I would hope they wouldnt be custom parts and we would be screwed.

So any details about the Milian and Mariner would be awesome

I'll start off by saying this: I'm by no ways an expert. I'm just a fan. Your BEST bet is to pick the brain of an ASE Certified mechanic.

That being said...I used to own a Mercury Cougar back in 1999. It was a good car, but the reliability wasn't on par with some of the competetion. It's not that it was poorly constructed or anything...it's just when something DID go wrong, the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. One problem would beget to another problem, which would beget to another problem...before you know it, you're not maintaining it in hopes of fixing it outright, you're just trying to stay ahead of the next problem that is coming down the pipeline.

Now, the Milan: You're in luck, the Milan does share many characteristics of the Ford Focus (IIRC...) The parts SHOULD be interchangable (but again, consult an ASE Certified mechanic or someone within Ford's Blue Oval maintenance program for 100% confirmation). In addition to that, the Mercury Mariner should share qualities found in the Ford Explorer, so parts should be interchangable as well.

Hope this helps... Wink

ProudHorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's my baby.

* this is just a picture from online, not my actual car, but it looks just like it.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ET80 what do you think of the idea of the Porsche 918?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary objective in life is to purchase an Aston Martin when I am rich and famous.

However, if my riches and fame ever become limited I may settle for a m3 or m4 or something, when I become nearly rich and nearly famous.

And If I am a complete failure at life, there is always the Geo Metro as my fail-safe plan.

Ramster
SoS wrote:
(Remember, I like that Steven Jackson style best Very Happy )
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
ET80 what do you think of the idea of the Porsche 918?

Hello, beautiful. I'm ET...nice to meet you. Twisted Evil

[rant]
TBH...I hope that Porsche can just pick a side to stand on and stick with it. On one hand...you have vehicles such as this and the Carrera GT, masterpieces in their own right, capabale of going to market and selling comparably with their counterparts in the supercar space. These vehicles act as the offensive line. They pull (you in), they trap (your imagination) and they throw up "blocks" while the real product offerings - the Cayman and the ageless Carrera - sprint off tackle and run for daylight. THOSE are the cars that really benefit from these big time concept vehicles.

The engineering needed to make these supercars somewhat commonplace is there, the technical know-how to put 'em together in a cost efficient manner is there...and the ability to mass produce these to a waiting client base with dispoasable income and an inferiority complex is there. They can stick with the Carreras/Caymans as the daily sellers, bring out the big toys once in a while to usher in some facelifts to the Carrera/Cayman...and make quite a nice living.

On the other hand...they are trying too hard to get into the BMW/MB space with some of their newer offerings. I mean...a four door Porsche? A SUV Porsche!? That's outright blasphemy if you ask me. (The Porsche Panamara is the offspring of all that is evil and unworthy in this world. I. HATE. IT. Such blasphemy). I actually LIKE the Cayenne...but this car is so not part of what makes a Porsche a Porsche...you know what I mean?

Stick with an identity, Porsche: Either you are going to tussle with the Italian bad boys or you're going to joust against your German bretheren. Being a fringe player on both sides of the coin is only going to lead to the continued demise of your brand.
[/rant]

Eagles_808

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, ET80, as usual.

I would like to introduce everyone to the Bugatti Veyron:

Made with titanium, boasting 10 radiators, pumping dual 8-cylinder engines, this luxury vehicle can hit a top speed of around 250 mph. But with a price tag upwards of $1.7 million, none of us will be driving one of these any time soon. Wink

Official Bugatti Site

Most Expensive Cars In The World: Top 10 List 2009-2010

That, is my dream car! Very Happy
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
Nice work, ET80, as usual.

I would like to introduce everyone to the Bugatti Veyron:

Made with titanium, boasting 10 radiators, pumping dual 8-cylinder engines, this luxury vehicle can hit a top speed of around 250 mph. But with a price tag upwards of $1.7 million, none of us will be driving one of these any time soon. Wink

Official Bugatti Site

Most Expensive Cars In The World: Top 10 List 2009-2010

That, is my dream car! Very Happy

1,001 HP. I heard this car runs off of special fuel derived from blood cells from Chuck Norris and Mr. T. Laughing

EDIT - While I do like the stats and the unrelenting power that this car has...there is something about it that just doesn't sit well with me: That mesh grille in the front. I do not know what that is all about, but I don't like it. I am sure that it is some sort of functional grille that is needed (perhaps an escape pod for when this car starts to lift off unexpectedly?) it just doesn't flow with the design, IMO.

I dunno. That's just my take. Still a great car, however.

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big fan of GM.... My family has 8 cars 1 of them is a Ford( the F-350) and the others are all GM.

We have 3 corvettes

1975(427) My dads project car

I love the vettes just as much as my dad does.I talk up the ZR1 alot just because I think its the biggest bang for your buck at this point.But anyway this should be an enjoyable thread

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
She's my baby.

* this is just a picture from online, not my actual car, but it looks just like it.

'71 Barracuda...NICE! Was it a restoration job or did you get it as-is?

I wanna say this was an original Hemi powered vehicle, but I'm not as up to speed on the engine specs. Care to share?

TheManster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pry going to get an escalade or tahoe when i graduate college.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Im a big fan of GM.... My family has 8 cars 1 of them is a Ford( the F-350) and the others are all GM.

We have 3 corvettes

1975(427) My dads project car

I've recently grown to like 'vettes a lot. My defacto older brother Frog has a C6 Corvette. At first, I thought he was dumb to get it...but every time we rode around in it, I was suprised with the civility of the car. I had thought he was a moron for making it a daily driver, but it actually has that sort of driveability...unless you want to make it howl at the moon, it's going to be a nice, well behaved car.

Granted, if you WANT to make it howl at the moon...it will. Oh, it WILL.

I'm interested to see how your dad's 427 project goes. Frog and I have toyed with the idea of getting a project car such as a late 60s/early 70s 'vette, but we've never taken action...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 1 of 99

Jump to: